I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

they dont check though. but its ymmv. i guess having a good relation help. good luck!

2. ski_mom

ski_mom DIS Veteran

I have the Chase Ink+ where you still get 5% at office supply stores, it also works at gyft.com for buying gift cards. My question - it seems like I read that it also works from buying from paypal digital gift cards from ebay if you use your paypal account. Is that right, or am I dreaming?

3. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

that is correct!

[​IMG]

heres a list.
    Courtesy of Flyertalk.

4. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. ski_mom

ski_mom DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! I'm copying that into my document I jot my thoughts down on credit card churning!

6. GPC0321

GPC0321 DIS Veteran

Yep, wholesale clubs include Costco (I suppose..as long as they accept Discover, I don't have a Costco near me) and definitely Sam's.
    You'll do great with that home improvement category!

I'm coming to the realization that my Freedom Unlimited is going to be neglected for the next year while Discover It and I get cozy. That match on cash back is too good to ignore.

Alice Sr. and tink1970 like this.
  7. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

it happens. I sock drawered my CSR right now, currently citi is my travel card.

8. Alice Sr.

Alice Sr. My two little Mouseketeers

I have a prequal Citi offer with 60k points but do not usually fly American so not too interested. Can I ask if you are you using Citi now over CSR because of American or for other reasons? Thanks

9. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

i currently use citi for EVA air mileage. But the category is 3x on travel, 2x on dining. But i called to cancel and use my csr full time but they offered me 5x travel, 4x dining, 3x everything else for 6 months up to 35k. sorry CSR, move over! :P

i might do some MS on the citi card though.

Alice Sr., tink1970 and Psychodisney like this.
  10. GPC0321

GPC0321 DIS Veteran

Discover came today. It's so cute.
    Is it weird that I feel guilty "cheating" on my Chase cards? Those cards have helped fund a large portion of our upcoming Disney trip! I feel like I'm being ungrateful, LOL!

And a dang Barclaycard CashForward World Mastercard pre-selected offer came in the mail too. $200 cash back if I spend $1k in the first three months. 1.5% on every purchase. And this thing where you get 5% cash rewards bonus redemption (you get 5% of whatever cash amount you redeem...so, if I redeem $50 cash back, they give me an extra $2.50 to go towards the next months redemption).

So now I'm thinking I should get the Barclaycard and use it to get the Disney gift cards (which will be almost $1k) plus a couple other things and get that $200 cash back!

Freaking credit cards! Why are they so tempting?!

What would you guys do? Gotta go for the $200 bucks, right??

Alice Sr. and tink1970 like this.
  11. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

If I had 334/month for the next 3 months available without pain then I would. BUT...if I didn't have that $1000 accessible then no. I've been looking at some of the hotel cards and I think "I could get 75,000 (or 100,000) points if I only spend X." Then I think "do I have any large purchases that I need to make? No, then why would I spend x dollars for a 'free' hotel room?" Now, if I had a big purchase coming up (say taxes or tuition) then that would be a different story. I was actually SAD b/c we got a refund this year...I so wanted to pay and get points/miles. Weird. I'm getting weird....

PS :lovestruc my discover card!

Eighty8Keys, Alice Sr. and GPC0321 like this.
  12. GPC0321

GPC0321 DIS Veteran

I went ahead and got the Barclaycard. I'll just use it for my normal spending for one month and that will take care of the $1k minimum spend. I'll bank the $200 and put it towards the cost of the Disney gift cards, which I'll purchase with my Discover card from Sam's so that I can get that 5% back right now and another 5% back when they match it at the end of the year.
    Win.

tink1970 likes this.
  13. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

Definitely! I have the Barclaycard Arrival Plus to "erase" a B&B stay I'm making this summer in Scotland. Also have their AA Aviator card ($89/fee plus a purchase and received 40,000 miles). I like Barclaycard, just have to pace my spending since I happily don't have a lot of large bills (not complaining!). I've read a lot about Chase products but since I'm over 5/24 had to start looking at other cards. Not bad to be diversified :)

Alice Sr. likes this.
  14. Eighty8Keys

Eighty8Keys DIS Veteran

I know what you mean. I’m working on the $3K spend for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus and was actually happy that I needed new tires last weekend. My first thought was that the $500 tires used up one sixth of the spend amount. Usually these unexpected purchases seem to happen when I’m between credit card bonuses.

On a related note, I made a $100 contribution to my DVA using my Barclaycard to test whether it qualifies as a travel purchase. I’m happy to report that it shows up as a purchase available for redemption. Of course I don’t have enough points yet to erase it, but I will soon.

tink1970 likes this.
  15. rockawaybeachgirl

rockawaybeachgirl Mouseketeer

Just popping in to provide a great story on a lesser-known benefit of certain credit cards. My family and I were in Miami two weeks ago, scheduled to fly home to NYC on March 13th. Due to the snowstorm, we got 'stuck' in Miami for another two nights. Because I booked the flights with Citi Prestige, and our flight was 'delayed' by more than 12 hours, they covered our expenses at $500 per ticket. So, essentially, we had 2 free days in Miami. What a great card!

peel, Lain, calypso726 and 6 others like this.
  16. ski_mom

ski_mom DIS Veteran

That's great! I always worry if I'd remember that I had such a benefit when something would happen!

I'll also add my other "perk" I've used on my CSR - it has price protection for 90 days. We bought DD20 a macbook pro and we couldn't wait for sales because we were under time pressure to get it purchased. It finally went on sale for $250 less that we bought it for at best buy and I submitted the claim. It was all online and I received a check for $250 in the mail. Just today, I submitted for something DH bought on Amazon that had gone down in price by $20. I feel like it should go through too, but I am still waiting to see at this point.

peel, tink1970, Lain and 2 others like this.
  17. Alice Sr.

I just opened a DVA account last week, linking my CSR for a small reoccurring payment, was happy to see it coded as travel and surprised it counted toward the $300 travel credit. Getting the bonus definitely takes the sting out of buying the mundane, I should check my tires, lol.

tink1970, Lain and Eighty8Keys like this.
  18. Alice Sr.

That is awesome, thanks for sharing. I need to retrain my brain to be thinking about the other benefits, which in your case was probably worth more than the original points.

That's awesome also. I need to pull my paperwork out (if I can find it, probably in one of the storage units) and go over it again.

19. calypso726

calypso726 Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time

:confused: :eek: :faint:

:thumbsup2 :cool1:

Nice! I decided to keep the Prestige instead of cancel due to the 4th night free benefit that I may be taking advantage of this year. There are a few other premium cards we kept beyond the bonus strictly for the benefits.

20. Alice Sr.

Is there a way to tell what the other benefits are for any card without actually having the card? As I mentioned in a previous post I received a 60k point offer for spending $3k with Citi/AAvantage, I'm thinking I should investigate further. I doubt based on the AF it will have the same "delay" policy/payout as @rockawaybeachgirl got with her Prestige but I would like to know specifically what the AAvantage card offers.

21. ski_mom

ski_mom DIS Veteran

I am ready to get another credit card in my name. I already have the Chase Ink+, would I be eligible to get the Chase Ink Preferred (I think it's the one with 80,000 points sign up bonus right now)? The only cards I have right now are the CSR, the Ink+ and a Southwest card that I'm going to cancel as soon as my referral points come through. I've recently cancelled my BOA Alaska Airlines card that I got in Feb 2016 to get the $100 companion ticket for our trip to Hawaii.