I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question before I start my strategy. I opened a Chase Southwest card a few years ago and closed it last year. I was just listening to a we'll known podcast and the host said that Chase usually only allows a once in a lifetime sign up bonus per card. I was going to apply for the SW preferred but not if I cant get the rewards because i previously had the regular SW card. Does anyone know Chases policy for this? I thought people were opening and closing Case cards repeatedly but are most just applying for new Chase card or at least ones they haven't previously opened? Thanks for the help I don't want to make a big mistake by moving too fast.

Another question before I start my strategy. I opened a Chase Southwest card a few years ago and closed it last year. I was just listening to a we'll known podcast and the host said that Chase usually only allows a once in a lifetime sign up bonus per card. I was going to apply for the SW preferred but not if I cant get the rewards because i previously had the regular SW card
That person is mistaken and I would not trust that podcast if I were you, lol. Amex is the only card issuer I know of that does once per lifetime. Chase is always 24 months from the last time you earned the bonus. Good luck!

That person is mistaken and I would not trust that podcast if I were you, lol. Amex is the only card issuer I know of that does once per lifetime. Chase is always 24 months from the last time you earned the bonus. Good luck!

Amex is sometimes now... :P Currently, Hilton Surpass card does not contain the once in a lifetime bonus.

@eeyoresmom i would suggest reading blogs instead, aka thepointguy, docofcredit, etc. they are usually more accurate with a load of ppl giving them datapoints.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Need a plan B. There are no Chase branches within 50 miles of me. The last few cards applied for I got almost instant approval. Is that a possibility here and if so isn't there a way to begin using the account right away before the card actually arrived? I do have one more question. If I open lets say 2 cards this week, does the clock start ticking for the minimum spend , in other words if I open 2 cards that each have a minimum spend of $3000 in 3 months, do i have to charge $6000 in the next 3 months? Hope that's clear, lol.

well, i always tell everyone you cant win everything right? apply for the 80k.
Chase may give u your credit card number... maybe. But once u get approved, you can call chase and tell them to next day air it to you.
Yes, u are correct, once you apply for the 2 cards, the clock starts. you will have $4000 spendings for CSR and $5000 for Ink P. It saves you a hard pull, but if you didnt apply for many cards, i dont see any reason why u really need to apply for both(unless ur at 4/24). I would though, apply for Ink P, if approved instantly, id hold off on CSR if you cant make the 4k spendings. If Ink P goes into pending, apply for CSR. if both goes pending, idk what to tell u lol.

Thanks. I think I'll have DH apply for the Ink today and I will apply for the CSR. We will both meet the minimum spend on these, he should meet it right away. I'll have his second application be for the CSR.. ..I'm not sure what I would apply for after the CSR as my second Chase card but I have a few months to research as I meet that minimum spend. How does that sound to you more experienced folks?

Thanks. I think I'll have DH apply for the Ink today and I will apply for the CSR. We will both meet the minimum spend on these, he should meet it right away. I'll have his second application be for the CSR.. ..I'm not sure what I would apply for after the CSR as my second Chase card but I have a few months to research as I meet that minimum spend. How does that sound to you more experienced folks?

For DH, card #2/3 should be the Ink Cash imo. This card earns 5x on office supplies aka gift cards. You will need a CSR(for him) to transfer. Transferring Ink UR points to you is against T&C.
After your CSR, apply for CSP, strictly for UR pts. Then id call in to downgrade it to a CS then to one of the freedom cards. Or you can leave your CSP for a year and then to a Freedom Unlimited card. #3 i would go for a freedom card. 30k(i think) is good for the freedom card($500 spendings). Then, id probably go after a hotel card, although the rewards rate isnt too good but free nights per year.

I personally would get an SPG though. It varies on what ur looking for next. Hotels, airlines, etc.

I used my real job income combined with my business income. Examples of businesses besides Ebay, Etsy and Amazon that you may have an not realize are businesses are pet sitting, pet grooming, distributor of essential oils and other MLMs, part time travel agent, blogger etc. just to name a few. Darius of MMS has a nice how to on business card applications http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/09/13/how-to-qualify-for-a-small-business-credit-card-and-why-you-should-get-one

This is so interesting. We're getting ready to have DH apply for an Ink, and aside from the link you provided, everything else I've read--mostly on Reddit--gave me the impression that people were only reporting the total income of the "business", not combined with personal income. Is that something you'd disclose if you had to call recon? I can't imagine telling them I'm planning on supplementing my Ebay business expenses, where I thought I'd make $2K a year, with my income.

This is so interesting. We're getting ready to have DH apply for an Ink, and aside from the link you provided, everything else I've read--mostly on Reddit--gave me the impression that people were only reporting the total income of the "business", not combined with personal income. Is that something you'd disclose if you had to call recon? I can't imagine telling them I'm planning on supplementing my Ebay business expenses, where I thought I'd make $2K a year, with my income.
I think in the event of a recon call if pressed on it you could just act confused and say you thought it was all sources...the higher income would probably increase the odds for auto-approval though.

I think in the event of a recon call if pressed on it you could just act confused and say you thought it was all sources...the higher income would probably increase the odds for auto-approval though.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. It's easier to plead ignorance. The link made it sound like it was acceptable practice, though.

For DH, card #2/3 should be the Ink Cash imo. This card earns 5x on office supplies aka gift cards. You will need a CSR(for him) to transfer. Transferring Ink UR points to you is against T&C.
After your CSR, apply for CSP, strictly for UR pts. Then id call in to downgrade it to a CS then to one of the freedom cards. Or you can leave your CSP for a year and then to a Freedom Unlimited card. #3 i would go for a freedom card. 30k(i think) is good for the freedom card($500 spendings). Then, id probably go after a hotel card, although the rewards rate isnt too good but free nights per year.

I personally would get an SPG though. It varies on what ur looking for next. Hotels, airlines, etc.
Thanks. 5x points on a $100 gift card is how much in dollar savings? 1:1 minimum but depends on what we're redeeming for? I use my Amex Blue right now at grocery stores for 6% cash back so want to make sure the ink cash beats that. Also, why does he need a CSR to transfer UR to? Can he not use those reward points earned from the Ink to book travel without the CSR????

Finally, applied for Global Entry for DH, DS and me to use our CSR credit. Any idea how long the review takes to schedule the interview? Do they issue the card at the interview if they approve you? We fly out 4/12 for our cruise so I'm not expecting to have it in time for that but just trying to an idea on the timeframe.

Finally, applied for Global Entry for DH, DS and me to use our CSR credit. Any idea how long the review takes to schedule the interview? Do they issue the card at the interview if they approve you? We fly out 4/12 for our cruise so I'm not expecting to have it in time for that but just trying to an idea on the timeframe.

It took about a week for our reviews to be completed, but you might have to wait months for appointments, depending on which airport you're going to. I saw someone recently say they couldn't get an appointment at their closest international airport until October!
Edited to add: The cards are mailed to you.

The cards are mailed to you but there will be a number which will become your global entry number after the appointment in the approval letter that you take to the interview. This is important if you want to put it in your frequent flier profile before the cards come (but after approval, obviously). I went online and added everyone in the family as they were approved.

We had to search for an airport with availability a month out and my parents had to wait close to 4 months. It seems more and more people are applying for this!

Regarding Global Entry - if you can't get an interview in the time frame you need, keep checking. I could only get one 6 months out, but I checked the website constantly for ~48 hours and managed to snag an appointment for the following week.

Also: many of the interview centers take walk-ins, but not all do. If you're desperate, just go and try in person. The woman who was interviewed after me was a walk-in, despite the fact that there was a sign on the door stating "no walk-ups." I think it's up to the employee' discretion/how busy they are.

So if it's not a warehouse quarter you pay the $95 and when warehouses are a bonus quarter you're paying probably about $91??

Ideally yes you would pay around $90 for a $100 Disney gift card. How it works is you pay $94.99 on Bj's website and pay with your credit card that has 5% back at warehouse clubs. When your credit card statement closes you will get $4.75 in cash back. Both Discover and Chase let you direct deposit in your bank which I do. Again, Discover is running the 5% back at warehouse clubs only until the end of June. Q3 rewards (July-September) will be announced sometime in May.

If you are still confused use my example for my upcoming cruise/wdw stay.
I bought (15) $100 Disney gift cards for $1,424.85 using my Discover card on Bj's website.
When my statement closed I got $71.24 in cash back.
In total I saved $146.39!!
I plan to do this trick every quarter the 5% is offered until our trip saving around $440 off our total trip.
This is why I LOVE credit cards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter