I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I've been looking to buy a power adapter for Ireland travel and when reading the comments a lot of them say they do not work for anything that heats up like a hair straightener or dryer. They only work for phones and electronics. Can anyone recommend a good adapter that works for everything or is that not a thing?
"If you see a range of voltages printed on the item or its plug (such as "110–220"), you're OK in Europe." - Rick Steves

My flat iron has this voltage label on the plug and it worked fine with just a converter last year in France, Italy, and Spain. So check your hair appliances before purchasing anything.

No, this is about how you can't get a retention if your last one was within 13 months ago and how that's calculated (calendar months vs a date calculation).

You can try again, everyday if you wanted to lol, until the last day to cancel. I tend to do a last try a day or 2 before, only because I'm paranoid I'll forget.
Okay, thank you for the clarification. I have already received a retention offer last year on this card.

Hilton....Hilton! Anyone else get nonstop offers for the $149 timeshare presentation deal? I get them steadily for a year+ now....and I'd LOVE some more Hilton points... but I don't have a spouse to attend with me (even tho married) so I can't take advantage of any of these deals! That's just my sad little story for today..... I got an email today with a full refund of the $149, 3 free nights deal too! I wish they'd let me go by myself (and say no lol) to use these offers...:charac2:
I've been getting various offers, starting at $199 plus points, $149 plus points, and today it's $99, but no points.

Ugh. Checked in for our SW flight this am, limited Internet as I stupidly forgot we had to check in and booked a tour during that time. Anyway, even with EBCI got C15 ☹️
We're flying SJO (Costa Rica) to DEN to MDW. So Denver peeps, is 2 hours enough layover to get easily thru customs and to SW gate? Time for food?

Does the 3-month rule only apply to Chase cards? For example if I opened a Chase card in Feb, then do a non-Chase card in April. Can I open a new Chase card in May?

We are planning on a trip out to San Diego/Disneyland next spring/summer and I would like to use URs to book a hotel in SD. Getting a bit overwhelmed with figuring out which hotel is best in the area and best for UR redemption (if available). Are there any recommendations on a good hotel in SD that is in a location where we can get to places like the San Diego Zoo and to the Safari Park easily? Also that it would be available for points redemption. When should I start looking for reward rooms? My school calendar still hasn't been decided yet so we may travel during April or we might be looking at June/July.

We are planning on a trip out to San Diego/Disneyland next spring/summer and I would like to use URs to book a hotel in SD. Getting a bit overwhelmed with figuring out which hotel is best in the area and best for UR redemption (if available). Are there any recommendations on a good hotel in SD that is in a location where we can get to places like the San Diego Zoo and to the Safari Park easily? Also that it would be available for points redemption. When should I start looking for reward rooms? My school calendar still hasn't been decided yet so we may travel during April or we might be looking at June/July.
I was there in December and stayed at the Hilton Harbor Island on Hilton points and thought it was great. The zoo and Safari park are a long ways apart so I'd choose based on what else you want to do. Cabrillo National Monument is a must see while you're there.

Ugh. Checked in for our SW flight this am, limited Internet as I stupidly forgot we had to check in and booked a tour during that time. Anyway, even with EBCI got C15 ☹️
We're flying SJO (Costa Rica) to DEN to MDW. So Denver peeps, is 2 hours enough layover to get easily thru customs and to SW gate? Time for food?
I think you should be fine with 2 hours in DEN...though for me I've had to go through customs in HOU since that's where our layovers have been on the return from CR the last few years, so I can't say definitively since I haven't experienced it in recent memory. There's tons of places to grab food in Terminal C where SW operates (that's also where the Centurion lounge is by Gate C47, but if you don't have the Plats then that does nothing for you). Terminal C is just one long linear terminal with occasional people movers (those things like escalators but without stairs) in the middle of the walkways so it's pretty fast to go from one end to the other if you take those and walk on them - I'd say about 10 minutes from C1 to C99 if you're walking briskly.

Hope you had a great time!

I was there in December and stayed at the Hilton Harbor Island on Hilton points and thought it was great. The zoo and Safari park are a long ways apart so I'd choose based on what else you want to do. Cabrillo National Monument is a must see while you're there.
Thanks for the rec. When would you suggest I start looking on Hilton's website or any other hotel's site to look for a reward/points room? This is my first time booking any hotel on points so I'm a complete noob. Do they just randomly drop? I've only ever used my URs for SW.

I am sorry to hear that but I think I am also not quite sure how it works.

I thought with EBCI you didn't have to check in, that it did it for you? No?

Thanks for the rec. When would you suggest I start looking on Hilton's website or any other hotel's site to look for a reward/points room? This is my first time booking any hotel on points so I'm a complete noob. Do they just randomly drop? I've only ever used my URs for SW.

Most open up their calendar a year out. Hyatt is 13 months. But individual hotels might open up their calendar a little later. It's usually not necessary to stalk right when availability opens unless it's an aspirational hotel (high cash cost).

The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is well reviewed. Costs 12, 15, or 18k Hyatt points, which can be transferred from UR. Would be convenient to the zoo. The Safari Park is inland and will be at least 30 minutes drive wherever you stay.

My 18-year old really wants to go to Super Nintendo World in Osaka (for some reason the one in CA doesn't appeal to him). The kid can't handle a plane ride over 2 hours. Anyway, I'm thinking about it for next summer. I'd rather do London/Paris, but I do owe him a trip. I'll have about 550k UR by the end of the month. Not sure if this will actually happen, but I'm going to start doing my research.

Last edited:
I called Amex about a retention offer for the Amex gold which I signed up for a year ago tomorrow. I was offered to downgrade to the green but was not offered anything else to keep the card open. Then I was offered a $30 one time statement credit. Did I call too soon? What are the downsides of closing the card altogether? I have the Delta blue, Cash preferred and Amex everyday cards as well.

Hotels don't really have award space separate. At least I've never run into that with Hilton and Hyatt. Whenever the calendar is open for booking, usually a year or so out.

My 18-year old really wants to go to Super Nintendo World in Osaka (for some reason the one in CA doesn't appeal to him). The kid can't handle a plane ride over 2 hours. Anyway, I'm thinking about it for next summer. I'd rather do London/Paris, but I do owe him a trip. I'll have about 550k UR by the end of the month. Not sure if this will actually happen, but I'm going to start doing my research.
you should be able to do it. We booked all but Disney hotel on the Chase portal. Flights we transferred points to British Airways.

I called Amex about a retention offer for the Amex gold which I signed up for a year ago tomorrow. I was offered to downgrade to the green but was not offered anything else to keep the card open. Then I was offered a $30 one time statement credit. Did I call too soon? What are the downsides of closing the card altogether? I have the Delta blue, Cash preferred and Amex everyday cards as well.

That’s weird, I’ve never seen a $30 retention. There is a $300 offer and a 30k MR one on the Gold. It’s not too early to ask since it would be your first retention.

I am sorry to hear that but I think I am also not quite sure how it works.

I thought with EBCI you didn't have to check in, that it did it for you? No?
EBCI does check you in but it checks people in by date they purchased EBCI, so lots of people must have bought before me. Once checked in though, it offers you upgraded boarding which I totally would have done but without a decent internet connection, by the time I connected they were gone. DH also needed to check in and I didn’t get him EBCI. We made it though, back of the plane but now sitting at the gate in Denver for flight to Chicago. Super long day. Left resort at 630 am, will get to our house around 1 am. 😴

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter