I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Feeling pessimistic that the Verizon deal is going to work for me. I unlocked all 4 of our numbers yesterday morning and still no word from Verizon. I’m wondering if it’s because we owe money on some of the phones. 🙁

I think we owe a little on one of our phones too. I don't know how long you've been with Verizon and if that matters, but we've been with Verizon for the entirety of having cell phones.

It could also be that they've realized the 'trick' is being used in a widespread manner by people who aren't really thinking of leaving to another provider?

We went from traditional cable (Spectrum) to Spectrum Choice last summer and the bill went down about $100. Choice is their streaming product where you choose 15 channels (in addition to the networks/locals). We did FINE with those stations, but the frustrating thing was that even though we had a Disney/ESPN+ bundle, we couldn't get the SEC and ACC sports networks w/o traditional cable. We survived w/o it, but this summer decided we should switch to a service that provides those networks...chose HULU. It wasn't until I was setting it up that I realized it would NOT have our regional sports network for our local NHL team. Ugh.

From what I can tell, only DirectvStream and FUBO TV are the ones that offer both ACC/SEC AND the Regional Bally sports network. So, we'll be changing again in October I guess. We have tickets to the first home game and then the team goes on a West Coast swing where the times are too late for us to watch anyway lol. But it's SUCH A PAIN to deal with all this. We've actually enjoyed HULU but we'll have to drop it. Glad to know you like DirectTV Stream.
How much is DTV or FUBO over what you're paying with Hulu? Bally's offers a standalone app that is currently $20/mo and speculation on sports radio in Minneapolis is that there is going to be a lower tier available before the NBA and NHL regular seasons start.

How much is DTV or FUBO over what you're paying with Hulu? Bally's offers a standalone app that is currently $20/mo and speculation on sports radio in Minneapolis is that there is going to be a lower tier available before the NBA and NHL regular seasons start.

I haven't gotten that far but it's good to know that the Bally app may be cheaper this year. I had a friend who used it last year and said it was very glitchy. I do know HULU goes up next month a little due a price hike.

DH and I have definitely discussed at length. We want to have points for other trips for us since we are empty nesters. I am always open to suggestions and still trying to learn all the ins and outs.

I totally hear you. I've definitely blown a lot of points on certain trips because it's what worked with the kids schedules. P2 and I also have been talking more about using points in a way we want to. It's hard too when you gave one kid X and you need to make things "fair." I keep trying to remind myself that the climate for travel and award booking is much different now than even a year ago. So maybe I need to start thinking differently, rather than "I gave Kid A a grad trip to Europe" and then feeling I need to repeat that. Instead, maybe the thought process is, "I spent X points on Kid A's grad trip." Maybe that gets Kid B a 4 day trip instead of a 7 day trip, or you can still do the trip they want, they're just going to have to sacrifice flexibility in the time of year.

One of the biggest things I learned that I think is easy to take for granted is that in award travel and travel hacking, you can have low prices, specific dates and specific destinations, but very rarely can you have all three at the same time. If you want one of those things, most times you're going to have to sacrifice one or both of the other things. That might be something I have to start mentoring the kids on. When they're little, you're dealing with their school schedules. Now that they're older, you're dealing with their work schedules or their sig other's work schedules, PTO, etc. But it's so magical to continue to travel together...

I think we owe a little on one of our phones too. I don't know how long you've been with Verizon and if that matters, but we've been with Verizon for the entirety of having cell phones.

It could also be that they've realized the 'trick' is being used in a widespread manner by people who aren't really thinking of leaving to another provider?

Did you request a pin after unlocking them

Was going to say the same thing - based on reports, the pin seems to be the actual key part - more than the unlocking.
Yes, I did request and received a pin. We also have been with Verizon for over 20 years. I too wondered if they caught on to the sudden influx of people unlocking their phones 😂. Figure I’ll give it until tomorrow and then lock our numbers back up.

Do you know if it offers regional? Honestly cable pricing is out of hand. I heard a CEO on tv say cable continues to be dying rapidly. Where they get you is the sports. It's absurd you have to have a whole
package for that. Like buying a buffet dinner with 100 items when all you want is a salad.

Thanks for sharing! This might be a great solution for my parents. Do you think we could hang the leaf in the entertainment cabinet? My mom isn't going to want this hanging on the wall.
I don't know if a Mohu Leaf antenna would pick up channels if it is inside an entertainment cabinet.

Maybe you could attach it to the back of the entertainment cabinet, if it's a freestanding cabinet which isn't pushed against the wall? (Now I'm re-arranging your parents' furniture LOL.)

It seems to me that if someone is thinking about cutting the cord, they should be able to buy an indoor antenna, unplug the TV from the cable connection, put the indoor antenna where they want it, hook up the TV, and see what kind of reception they get. If you don't like the antenna, return it to the store and hook your tv back up to the cable.

Do you know if it offers regional? Honestly cable pricing is out of hand. I heard a CEO on tv say cable continues to be dying rapidly. Where they get you is the sports. It's absurd you have to have a whole
package for that. Like buying a buffet dinner with 100 items when all you want is a salad.

DirectTVStream and FUBO are the ones that kept coming up for what I'm interested in (ACC/SEC Networks plus Bally Sports Regional), but I do not have first hand experience yet. If you don't need ACC/SEC Networks, I think your options increase. I was happy with our limited number of channels using Spectrum Choice, which did have Bally as an option. With HULU Live, it was almost overwhelming to see ALL those channels again, lol. I've long gotten to the point of deciding what I'm watching before I even turn on the TV, but DH does do a little surfing still.

I'm brand new to Chase UR and have around 90,000 points after the initial sign up bonus. I'd like to take advantage of the Southwest WOW50 deal that ends tomorrow and book 3 round trip flights for January/February using my points.

I've read up on this a bit and know to use UR points on Southwest flights I need to call Chase to have them book the flights for me. I tried to do that just now and was quoted 50,000+ UR points for the 3 tickets when I can get them for just over 18,000 booking online via Southwest.

Is there any way to use the WOW50 coupon code when booking through Chase? Would it be better to transfer my UR points to my RR account and book directly through the airline in this case? I tried to ask the Chase rep these questions but she seemed very confused and I know you all are the experts so I trust your advice!

Thanks in advance!

I'm brand new to Chase UR and have around 90,000 points after the initial sign up bonus. I'd like to take advantage of the Southwest WOW50 deal that ends tomorrow and book 3 round trip flights for January/February using my points.

I've read up on this a bit and know to use UR points on Southwest flights I need to call Chase to have them book the flights for me. I tried to do that just now and was quoted 50,000+ UR points for the 3 tickets when I can get them for just over 18,000 booking online via Southwest.

Is there any way to use the WOW50 coupon code when booking through Chase? Would it be better to transfer my UR points to my RR account and book directly through the airline in this case? I tried to ask the Chase rep these questions but she seemed very confused and I know you all are the experts so I trust your advice!

Thanks in advance!

You can transfer URs to Southwest rapid rewards and book online at SW.

Edit: That is if you have a Chase card with an annual fee that allows transfers to travel partners. Also, the WOW50 sale ends today.

Last edited:
You can transfer URs to Southwest rapid rewards and book online at SW.

Edit: That is if you have a Chase card with an annual fee that allows transfers to travel partners. Also, the WOW50 sale ends today.
Thank you for your response. The sale has been extended until tomorrow and I have the Sapphire Preferred so I believe I can transfer as needed.

Just want to throw it out there that I've seen some crazy great Jetblue fairs recently (having booked and rebooked cross country flights for both this year and next in the last few days). Seeing fares as low as 9k points per person from LAX to JFK certain days for both years. Downside is that its not a 1:1 transfer from MR (250:200). The JetBlue card from Barclays gives you a 10% discount on points booking though so if their routes work for you (general you- not anyone specific), you could grab that card. They do also have some cheapy Caribbean itineraries. I haven't looked that closely at their international flights.

I think I messed up. I could swear that I read on this forum that you would still get the $50 Hotel Credit if you booked a hotel entirely on UR points through the Chase travel portal (using the points on your CSP). But now I think I needed to pay $50 cash and use points for the rest. Does anyone know?

I think I messed up. I could swear that I read on this forum that you would still get the $50 Hotel Credit if you booked a hotel entirely on UR points through the Chase travel portal (using the points on your CSP). But now I think I needed to pay $50 cash and use points for the rest. Does anyone know?
Yes, you need to pay at least $50 in cash to get the $50 credit with the CSP.

It may be the Amex FHR $200 credit you are thinking of, where I believe you can book entirely on points and be credited the $200.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter