I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a gazillion years ago but we positioned and flew Quantas out of LAX.

Here's a recent blog post from Upgraded Points. He's a bit spammy with cc links like TPG but the info is usually pretty solid.

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/best-ways-to-fly-to-australia-with-points/

this is something I'm looking into Air New Zeland is a unicorn space (hard to find) I've looked out of NYC there are Hawaiin airlines and Alaska Fiji combo. United is too out of lax/ If sky pesos has a deal for japan or this is just going.
Searched in expert mode on the united site if you have to chase ultimate rewards.
ANA flies there too I believe out of japan. (with this its the 400$ pp per leg i believe)
You can also fly into Hawaii on Hawaiian airlines
If you are using MR you can do Aeroplan and search via united.
That's all I have for now I wanna say it's 120k round trip if you can find it via aero plan Hawaiian airlines is a few days a week and seems to be dynamic pricing same if you choose Alaska (they just changed). Ben from OMMAT just went and he talked it down the air new Zealand flight said it was one of the most mediocre and most dated experiences he's had. I also remember reading they were weighing people and balancing the plane (for the non-stop) to make sure they would make it so that route id imagine is working some kinks out also.
This is really good. Right now I have almost a 900k MR, about 120k United, 70k AA and about 90k Citi thank you. I haven't thought about Alaska nor Hawaiian. Have to look into that.

This is really good. Right now I have almost a 900k MR, about 120k United, 70k AA and about 90k Citi thank you. I haven't thought about Alaska nor Hawaiian. Have to look into that.

Good luck, it's hard to find availability in business on points and even harder to find reasonable points availability. That said, I'd consider the main US carriers-DL, AA, and United. I know a pp has mentioned Alaskan and Hawaiian-I could never find Alaskan availability and Hawaiian just wasn't an option for me, so I'm not the person to discuss those. Also keep in mind others like Singapore Air, Air Canada Aeroplan, etc.

It's also important to accept that a positioning flight (unless you live in the Bay Area, LA or Honolulu) is almost inevitable.

I'd also consider two one ways v. round trip since different carriers open up points availability at different times.

Is this a once in a lifetime trip that using most of your points is worth it? If so, then read on (I can spend points/miles with the best of them :laughing: ).

If I were looking at flying to Sydney and home from New Zealand today, with your points, I'd probably either transfer a hefty amount to Delta and do LAX-SYD on Delta (right now far enough out that would cost 730K Skymiles-eek-for 2) then focus on United and try to fly back premium economy (approx 250K for two) or business (approx 400K for two)...or look at Singapore and try to do both flights with them (quickly checking it looked like around 350K from AKL- LAX for 2 in business and slightly less than that for 2 LAX-SYD with stopovers both ways in SIN).

Prior to our flying to Sydney in Feb 2020, I'd forecast the need for 1M (!!!) skymiles for the trip and then 400k United back from NZ. Delta has actually slightly decreased the award cost (for now) and United has stayed the same (knock on wood). I ended up not flying either which goes to show it's important to have more than one plan.

The flight to Australia is longer than the flight back (about 90 min if you're going to/from LAX) so if you had to choose one flight for business, I definitely recommend the flight TO Australia versus the return. We flew Qantas F to Sydney and it was amazing and SO MUCH better than the flight back from SYD on Virgin Australia in business (DO NOT RECOMMEND).

Hope this helps and have fun planning!

Good luck, it's hard to find availability in business on points and even harder to find reasonable points availability. That said, I'd consider the main US carriers-DL, AA, and United. I know a pp has mentioned Alaskan and Hawaiian-I could never find Alaskan availability and Hawaiian just wasn't an option for me, so I'm not the person to discuss those. Also keep in mind others like Singapore Air, Air Canada Aeroplan, etc.

It's also important to accept that a positioning flight (unless you live in the Bay Area, LA or Honolulu) is almost inevitable.

I'd also consider two one ways v. round trip since different carriers open up points availability at different times.

Is this a once in a lifetime trip that using most of your points is worth it? If so, then read on (I can spend points/miles with the best of them :laughing: ).

If I were looking at flying to Sydney and home from New Zealand today, with your points, I'd probably either transfer a hefty amount to Delta and do LAX-SYD on Delta (right now far enough out that would cost 730K Skymiles-eek-for 2) then focus on United and try to fly back premium economy (approx 250K for two) or business (approx 400K for two)...or look at Singapore and try to do both flights with them (quickly checking it looked like around 350K from AKL- LAX for 2 in business and slightly less than that for 2 LAX-SYD with stopovers both ways in SIN).

Prior to our flying to Sydney in Feb 2020, I'd forecast the need for 1M (!!!) skymiles for the trip and then 400k United back from NZ. Delta has actually slightly decreased the award cost (for now) and United has stayed the same (knock on wood). I ended up not flying either which goes to show it's important to have more than one plan.

The flight to Australia is longer than the flight back (about 90 min if you're going to/from LAX) so if you had to choose one flight for business, I definitely recommend the flight TO Australia versus the return. We flew Qantas F to Sydney and it was amazing and SO MUCH better than the flight back from SYD on Virgin Australia in business (DO NOT RECOMMEND).

don't forget delta had that crazy deal recently that Sydney was what 80k/180k skypesos from NYC? something like that I was going to do it then I realized i don't have time off :)
I already figured out though if i can get 2 europe trips in or one japan/nz trip in I will have diamond if they count the spend as retail but knowing delta probably wont get those sweet global upgrade ceritifcates.

Yesterday I was instantly approved for an Aeroplan CC! I requested expedited delivery via SM and my request was granted. I should have my new card early next week. Planning on earning the SUB by the end of the month and booking our return flights from Vancouver as soon as the points have been posted. It looks like our long awaited Alaskan cruise will finally happen.

DH was approved for a new CIC on 9/18. Waiting for card to arrive. Today I log in and see 'account closed' under his new account.
Anyone have this happen before? Any idea why? I have sent SM.
That's the worst. Any word on this?

Fingers crossed for you that you recently closed another account and they mistakenly closed the wrong one.

That's really helpful. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend those kind of points, but I am willing to consider it. Lol. DH really wants to do this trip. I want to see if I can make it happen for him.

We are on the east coast so of course, that's more expensive. I'm willing to try to reposition. This trip will probably not happen before 2024 and maybe not until the beginning of 2025. I should have time to amass the points.

Here goes! I'd like to open a new credit card. I have only one (we over-downgraded when we got married and had like 13; my other one was closed to inactivity).
I don't know if I need to tell you anything about my spouse if the credit is in my name only (he has gotten two new credit cards in the past 2 years, but I'm not on either; I think they're Marriott and United. There are no plans to add me to them.)

I have a Citi Costco Visa (which I use for almost everything) and Target store card. We bank with Chase.

We are high earners, never carry debt and have high credit scores. We probably put between 6000 and 7000 on a credit card monthly. All routine expenses, college savings, who the heck knows what else). We are not big into dining out so our grocery budget is higher. I shop primarily at Costco (with that card) and Aldi. Sometimes I add in Target for entertainment/specific items.

We fly out of O'Hare or Midway and Southwest serves both.

My husband travels Marriott for work so we prefer that. FF with United, American & Southwest (my husband, United is most). He's a consultant so will likely start traveling more and more. I think mine have all basically expired but Southwest.

Family is us and our seven year old twins (4).

Specific goals are to be able to go to Hawaii in the next couple years, visit Disney again, eventually go to Europe. So I supposed mostly travel related, but I'm fine with good old fashioned cash back too. I need a hobby, and I figured one centered on not buying (additional) stuff might be a good choice so I'm ok with some level of complication. Oh and I need to get Global Entry (already planning to but have not yet) by end of December. (I know some cards offer that).

What else do you want to know?
Welcome. It is a great hobby and it's rare that a hobby earns money!

I agree that the CSP or CSR is a great card to start with. You might log into your existing Chase account and see if there are any special offers for you with increased sign up bonuses (SUBS).

Here's a timeline you might consider for most trips- most airline award seats open up about 1 year in advance and hotels are usually about 10-12 months in advance, roughly. Southwest is the exception to this; for example their calendar is only open right now until early April. So when I'm planning for a big trip like Europe or Hawaii, etc, I might start looking into where I might want to stay and what airlines fly there. That will help you understand what currencies you'll need. Since you have such high monthly cc spend, I would aim at earning that currency about 16-18 months before your trip, then ideally booking your award flights and hotels as soon as those calendars open, at about 10-12 months before your trip.

Ideally you can get your husband to be your second player (P2). You can open a card and earn the bonus and send him a link to open his own card and earn a bonus. You'll get additional points when he opens a card using your link. And you'll be earning the same currencies. Never add your P2 as an authorized user as that will count towards their x/24 count.

I have a Hawaii trip report in my link. For that trip I used SW points (I fly out of Milwaukee, O'hare or Midway), Hilton points and cash. Based on your upcoming trips, sounds like a SW companion pass (or two) might be a goal for your future.

You will get much better advice from others on here. I will just mention my recent experience which was: it's like all of the cards want you to be jumping-up-and-down :yay:excited about what they offer. But what they're offering might not match up with your life.

So you have to calmly think things like, "Well, it's lovely that you are doing big cash back on gas, but I work from home now so that's not a big benefit for me."

Or, "It's nice that you offer a big cash back on groceries, but I buy my groceries at Walmart and they aren't included."

Or, "Yes, that's wonderful for people who are gym members. But I haven't set foot in a gym since 12th grade and have no intention of starting now. So that's not a big benefit for me."

You get the idea.
It’s like you know me on that gym one….😅

No, you have never had to use the Red card for the discounted deals. Which is great, because it's great help for MSRs.
I used the flash deals today at CVS, HD and Best Buy. Hopefully they post faster than the last round.
Thanks!

Honestly, I can't remember. But, those weren't target circle, were they? It was just a general sale that happened for 1-2 days near Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Maybe they were target circle in 2021?
Yes, you’re right. It was on the back of holiday flyer. I wasn’t really familiar with the circle the last time I did the GC deal. They must be trying to get more traffic on the circle deals.

That's the worst. Any word on this?

Fingers crossed for you that you recently closed another account and they mistakenly closed the wrong one.
No response yet ☹️ I did request, by SM, a closure of a personal account last week, which they did. I can see both accounts as closed. I mean I (DH) got an email that it was approved, would they look at his account and decide to close it after approval. It was approved 9/18 and closed between Thursday afternoon and this morning when I checked.

I had a bunch of new Shop Disney 10% offers pop up on Chase sometime today (they weren't there this morning). All on Biz cards oddly. Do businesses frequently spend $50 at ShopDisney online?
I imagine if your "business" is travel agent, Disney blogger/influencer, re-seller of Disney merch then sure. I checked mine this morning and I have a bunch of Shop Disney on various cards. Sadly, they are all for 5% off ... whomp whomp.

I had a bunch of new Shop Disney 10% offers pop up on Chase sometime today (they weren't there this morning). All on Biz cards oddly. Do businesses frequently spend $50 at ShopDisney online?
Haha....I guess they know their customers (us) better than we think they do.

I had checked my Chase cards a couple of times yesterday, and it appears I got them late yesterday or overnight. I got 3 offers of 10% at Shop Disney on my Hyatt, Chase Freedom and Sapphire with 45 days to spend. Will use them later this month to get food and wine cash (Disney Gift Cards) for Disney on my mid November visit. This morning I'll be at Home Depot and Best Buy doing my 20% offers, and yesterday I finished up my fee free Visa Gift Card spend at Staples.

Confession: I let my last set of 10% off at Shop Disney expire as well as my Office Depot set. My dues were paid off and it will be January before I have to make another payment. I'll be kicking myself later if all I can get is a 5% discount - maybe. There's always the opportunity to app for another CIU or CIC. $750 for $7500 spend, plus the 1 1/2 % for the $7500.

Last edited:
I see 10% up to $5.00 on some business cards and 5% up to $5.00 on some personal

Question about CF offers … New DVC owner and need to pay my $655 dues by 10/15 and want to get Disney gift cards and maximize my savings. Wal-Mart is on the 5% cash back this quarter, plus I have a Chase offer for 5% ($10 max) on online Wal-Mart purchases, if I buy the gift cards that way, would I get both bonuses? I don’t see a $500 GC option on their website so I would have to buy 6 $100 gift cards, plus 1 $50. Does that throw up a red flag or should I just buy 2 $100 gift cards online since that wifi max out the $10 offer and the rest in store? Or does anyone know of any better way to save more. I don’t have a staples or Office Depot anywhere close..small town problems. Only Wal-Mart and Kroger here. I do have a 20% ($20 max) offer at Best Buy on a different card. And 20% ($10 max) at Home Depot if that helps. Not sure if they sell the Disney gift cards. Would both have to be purchased online.

That's really helpful. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend those kind of points, but I am willing to consider it. Lol. DH really wants to do this trip. I want to see if I can make it happen for him.

We are on the east coast so of course, that's more expensive. I'm willing to try to reposition. This trip will probably not happen before 2024 and maybe not until the beginning of 2025. I should have time to amass the points.
We live in Florida so I understand the more cost, more time issue. We flew in the day before, stayed at the HR LAX and then made our way over to the terminal leisurely after a late check out. I'd definitely stay at the HR LAX again!

The good news is you have time to amass more points...bad news, is, of course, the points can devalue at any time. Good luck!

I imagine if your "business" is travel agent, Disney blogger/influencer, re-seller of Disney merch then sure. I checked mine this morning and I have a bunch of Shop Disney on various cards. Sadly, they are all for 5% off ... whomp whomp.

I only got the 5% too but may combine them with RMN at 10%. Didn't get any flash sales and couldn't find gc I'd want at one OD and found zero gc at the other. Need amex to do some good staples and lowes offers, I miss those

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter