I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry that happened to you and your family was so fortunate to all be home at the same time.

I hadn't felt ready to share this because it is still very traumatic for me, but I will now. A few months back I received a call from my young adult daughter, sobbing hysterically. Then a police officer gets on the phone and tells me she had been in an accident near Walmart, but that she was fine and could I come pick her up? I say of course and ask a few questions and then he asks me to speak with her again to just calm her down and let her know I'm on my way. She gets on the phone again crying and begging me to come get her. Then she whispers "They're not who they say they are, Mom. They're not police." The phone gets ripped away from her and then my nightmare starts. The guys says okay, we're not police, your daughter saw something she wasn't supposed to and now we have her. He's very anxious, saying he doesn't want to hurt her but he doesn't know what to do with her and can he trust that if I come get her I will make sure she doesn't turn them in? Anyway, I'm just not able to continue fully with the rest of the story, but know that for hours on end I was tortured like this.

Apparently this is known as a virtual kidnapping. It feels incredibly real in the moment. When someone sounds like your child, you will do anything, move any mountain, put yourself in any danger to make them safe. I am not an easily fooled person. I won't even let a salesperson sell me the thing I came to a store to buy. My guard is ALWAYS up. But I would swear it was my daughter on the phone. Anyways, the techniques they use are very sophisticated, whether it be IT techniques or psychological techniques. And the experience is very, very controlling. They don't allow you to put them on speaker and they constantly keep you busy, so that you don't have time to reach out for help or fact check etc. And you are so so fearful you'll do something wrong that will endanger your child. Anyways, it's really, really awful the ends people will go to for money.

I think I've heard a very simplified version of this, more like "your niece is calling from Europe and she lost her wallet" or whatever, and I always chalked it up to elderly people falling for these scams. I really had no idea how sophisticated they were. I have also heard a variation where when you post details about your upcoming vacations on social, they'll target your parents, etc that you've been kidnapped abroad.

Here's just one example https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...082690-8963-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html

As @havaneselover said, I can't even begin to imagine what you went through, but I am grateful to you for alerting us to another method these lowlife scum use to deceive us.

I am so sorry that happened to you and your family was so fortunate to all be home at the same time.

I hadn't felt ready to share this because it is still very traumatic for me, but I will now. A few months back I received a call from my young adult daughter, sobbing hysterically. Then a police officer gets on the phone and tells me she had been in an accident near Walmart, but that she was fine and could I come pick her up? I say of course and ask a few questions and then he asks me to speak with her again to just calm her down and let her know I'm on my way. She gets on the phone again crying and begging me to come get her. Then she whispers "They're not who they say they are, Mom. They're not police." The phone gets ripped away from her and then my nightmare starts. The guys says okay, we're not police, your daughter saw something she wasn't supposed to and now we have her. He's very anxious, saying he doesn't want to hurt her but he doesn't know what to do with her and can he trust that if I come get her I will make sure she doesn't turn them in? Anyway, I'm just not able to continue fully with the rest of the story, but know that for hours on end I was tortured like this.

Apparently this is known as a virtual kidnapping. It feels incredibly real in the moment. When someone sounds like your child, you will do anything, move any mountain, put yourself in any danger to make them safe. I am not an easily fooled person. I won't even let a salesperson sell me the thing I came to a store to buy. My guard is ALWAYS up. But I would swear it was my daughter on the phone. Anyways, the techniques they use are very sophisticated, whether it be IT techniques or psychological techniques. And the experience is very, very controlling. They don't allow you to put them on speaker and they constantly keep you busy, so that you don't have time to reach out for help or fact check etc. And you are so so fearful you'll do something wrong that will endanger your child. Anyways, it's really, really awful the ends people will go to for money.

I think I've heard a very simplified version of this, more like "your niece is calling from Europe and she lost her wallet" or whatever, and I always chalked it up to elderly people falling for these scams. I really had no idea how sophisticated they were. I have also heard a variation where when you post details about your upcoming vacations on social, they'll target your parents, etc that you've been kidnapped abroad.

Here's just one example https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...082690-8963-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
Thank you for sharing and how scary!! I think the reality is we could all be targets, we think we'd never fall for them but as you point out some of these scams are very sophisticated. Unfortunately you have to always be on guard.

The AF for my Aspire just posted, and I'm trying to decide what to do. Can I downgrade to the Surpass or no fee card for now and then upgrade back to the Aspire if/when it makes sense? This card started as a Surpass and then I upgraded it if that matters. I got the sub for the Surpass but not the no fee card previously,
so if I did that I would want to go ahead and apply for that for the sub before downgrading, correct? We don't have any plans to stay at Hilton anytime soon, but I'd like to keep my options open in the future, and not get on Amex's bad side.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. What a nightmare.

@Judique, there is definitely an Office Depot in Prince Frederick. We were just there on Thursday night and purchased 3 Disney GCs. They do not have a large selection of GCs and I have not seen any $200 VGC's, just $25, $100, and variable load. If you are looking for a specific GC I could stop in and check for you.

There is also an Office Depot in Annapolis but I have not been inside to look at their GC's. It is on my list to stop in on a future trip to the mall.

Thank you so much!! Grands got picked up after 9 last night, so I can go today. I really appreciate the info. I originally was expecting to have them until late this afternoon.

Will the variable load work with the $15 off $300? Does anyone know? I haven't been following Office Depot that much so not up on all the details.

I may check out the Annapolis store when I'm in the area sometime, and if so I will post here.

Thank you so much!! Grands got picked up after 9 last night, so I can go today. I really appreciate the info. I originally was expecting to have them until late this afternoon.

Will the variable load work with the $15 off $300? Does anyone know? I haven't been following Office Depot that much so not up on all the details.

I may check out the Annapolis store when I'm in the area sometime, and if so I will post here.
@Judique I have not purchased any Visa GCs at Office Depot so I do not know if the variable load will work. You might want to post your question on the Disney Gift Card thread also. Someone there may be able to answer.

The AF for my Aspire just posted, and I'm trying to decide what to do. Can I downgrade to the Surpass or no fee card for now and then upgrade back to the Aspire if/when it makes sense? This card started as a Surpass and then I upgraded it if that matters. I got the sub for the Surpass but not the no fee card previously,
so if I did that I would want to go ahead and apply for that for the sub before downgrading, correct? We don't have any plans to stay at Hilton anytime soon, but I'd like to keep my options open in the future, and not get on Amex's bad side.
If you want the bonus points, and don’t mind hitting the spend on the no fee card I would apply for that first and downgrade your Aspire to another no fee. No sense paying the AF on the Surpass unless you plan on using the benefits, or want to spend the $15k for a free night.

Yes, variable loads work. I buy 2 $200 variables each trip. The savings doesn’t come off until the very end of the transaction.

Yes, variable loads work. I buy 2 $200 variables each trip. The savings doesn’t come off until the very end of the transaction.

So, if I put $300 on one card, I will get a $15 credit and end up paying $290+? I have the CIC to pay with that has a 10% OD offer up to $8.

Don't want to do $400 as my budget is already stretched a bit this month. I'm also going to do a few $8 deals on Disney gift cards.

If another business class seat doesn’t open up…can the 3 of you rotate which 2 sit in business class…..I’ve never flown business so don’t know if that’s an option
It's not...and frowned up, ESPECIALLY internationally. Depending on the flight, they discourage people from economy, comfort plus, etc moving that close up to the front of the plane (* exception is perhaps premium select in Delta using biz bathrooms-there was some confusion on my last flight about which ones they're supposed to use). I'm not sure if it's for security reasons or what but "going through the curtain" is definitely a no go.

I'm not booking our flights to BOS yet, but in general how much time do you think we need to give to get our bags from the Aer Lingus flight and recheck them in for a flight to DTW? We should all have GE which I'm hoping helps. Might be worth it to try to carry on only...but I guess we'll see. The length of the trip is doable w/ carry on. But the footwear and souvenirs make me want to check a bag.
GE really doesn't speed up your bag retrieval...iirc in June it took about 35-40 min to get our bags in BOS after a flight from CDG. If you're connecting then you'll have to recheck the bag and then get from terminal C (I believe) to terminal A which is either a decent walk or a shuttle (and if you get on the one that goes to all terminals, subway station, etc it can be quite a long ride-there are several shuttles and it can be confusing). I'd definitely give myself a decent cushion of time.
Oh and a rental car which looking is $$$$$$$.
Don't forget if you're renting a car to check if it's an automatic or standard-a lot of cars are still standard and automatics usually cost more. Oh, and make sure you know what kind of fuel the car takes after you arrive-some take diesel and you don't want to put the incorrect fuel in the tank! Finally, parking in Dublin is a challenge so you might consider renting a car after your stay in Dublin.

So, if I put $300 on one card, I will get a $15 credit and end up paying $290+? I have the CIC to pay with that has a 10% OD offer up to $8.

Don't want to do $400 as my budget is already stretched a bit this month. I'm also going to do a few $8 deals on Disney gift cards.
I should have said the variable cards only go up to $200. So you would have to buy 2 cards 1x 200 and 1x 100.

ETA: The cards have a $6.95 activation fee so you’re going to be paying $298.90. Unless you have use for the Fuel or Grocery everywhere cards, which only have a $4.95 fee

Last edited:
My dd got a Facebook message earlier this summer from someone telling her my mom was in the hospital. She figured it was a scam, and it very odd someone would message her and not me. She sent the message to me and It turns out it was legit. My mom had a stroke. So once in blue moon they turn out to be real. But we totally assumed scam since they are so common.

How long does it take for closed Chase cards to disappear?
Disappear from your login? There’s an option to hide accounts. After I close a card I go in and set the app to hide the closed account. Then I just kind of forget about it, so not sure how long it stays.

How long does it take for closed Chase cards to disappear?

Disappear from your login? There’s an option to hide accounts. After I close a card I go in and set the app to hide the closed account. Then I just kind of forget about it, so not sure how long it stays.

If you did mean disappear from your Chase app, I'm pretty sure you have it hide it or it will hang around indefinitely. I had a PCed card that was there for months before I finally realized there was an option to hide.

I should have said the variable cards only go up to $200. So you would have to buy 2 cards 1x 200 and 1x 100.

ETA: The cards have a $6.95 activation fee so you’re going to be paying $298.90. Unless you have use for the Fuel or Grocery everywhere cards, which only have a $4.95 fee
Thanks, I went without checking for a reply. They were out of the $200 regular visa cards but did have the grocery everywhere card and movies everywhere cards. I could have gotten that plus a $100 card but didn't. That would have put me at 296.90. I didn't see any fuel cards but wasn't really looking hard.

I've let those OD/OM go to waste in the past, but I can combine the little drive with other errands now that I know where the store is, and what it carries.

Dosh also seems to work with OD/OM too. i got $2 today for my $100 purchase...
just dont do it too much though, i know ppl get caught that way haha.

If you did mean disappear from your Chase app, I'm pretty sure you have it hide it or it will hang around indefinitely. I had a PCed card that was there for months before I finally realized there was an option to hide.
Thanks I completely forgot that I can hide cards. I’ll do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter