I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really thinking I need to rebook our May Mediterranean cruise. I'm most worried about getting to Barcelona and testing positive. Then I can't cruise, can't fly, etc. Sounds too stressful. At some point dd is going to get a trip to Europe!

And I'm having a new fence installed today and they hit my main water line. It's only happened twice in 15 years. Plumber is on his way but I have no water right now. And technically it looks like the fence company is not liable for this damage. Fun!

Did the fence company have someone locate the utilities? Our fences have all been done through lowes but all of the contractors doing the fence had the utilities located before.

If they weren't located, unless something specifically says something about it in writing I don't see how it's not their fault. Now if they were located and they still hit it, they were either neglegent or the locator missed it and it's on them.

I don't see how it's on you unless they required you call 811 to have stuff located and didn't.

And stuff can be missed by the locator, we've had that happen on at least one job site I'm aware of.

Yes the utilities were marked but I guess they don't mark the line going into the house which is generally in the front yard but in my house it's in the back (maybe because I have a corner lot).

They call this a private line which they aren't responsible for. The plumber said the pipe is 2' down and there's no reason they should have dug that deep.

Good news is the plumber fixed it for $250 and the fence company said they would split it with me. So it's not a huge deal and the water is back on.

Really thinking I need to rebook our May Mediterranean cruise. I'm most worried about getting to Barcelona and testing positive. Then I can't cruise, can't fly, etc. Sounds too stressful. At some point dd is going to get a trip to Europe!

And I'm having a new fence installed today and they hit my main water line. It's only happened twice in 15 years. Plumber is on his way but I have no water right now. And technically it looks like the fence company is not liable for this damage. Fun!
Did they not call Digright or whatever it is? Here if you didn't call them before digging and you hit a line of any kind you (or the constuction company) are liable
ETA sorry commented before reading everything

Last edited:

I’m planning three trips to Europe this year. DD is stationed in Germany and we have a new grandson! 😍 Already booked one set of flights in premium economy using points both ways Houston to London on United for a DCL cruise in September leaving out of Dover England. But I need two other RT’s from Houston to Frankfurt or even Luxembourg. I’m constantly checking for business class seats on United because I got spoiled sleeping in a lie flat seat on last year‘s trip. Got it for 60,000 miles one way on a nonstop flight. Don’t mind economy or premium economy seat on the way back since it’s daylight hours. Any recommendations for better use of points? I’m using UR points transferred to United to supplement my United miles I earned with my Quest card. Is Expert flyer worth investing in for traveling on awards? I also have 350,000 Cap One miles to transfer to a dozen other airlines. All this searching for a good point value is exhausting!

I also vote for using awardhacker. If you haven't used it, it's an easy search tool which will start narrowing down how much points are with each airline. It DOES NOT show availability, but it's a good starting point. It also shows transfer partners, so if you're working with URs and C1 miles, you can filter for just those. Once you have a few options, you then go to those airlines and check for availability.

If you have an amex, I love the amex.point.me site- which also shows availability. Not perfect, but super helpful.

Did they not call Digright or whatever it is? Here if you didn't call them before digging and you hit a line of any kind you (or the constuction company) are liable
THey did but they only mark the main water line from the street and not the water line into the house. I have no idea what any of this means. I knew if they hit my sprinkler it was on me. I had no clue the water line into the house was in play. But glad it's fixed.

I hate for you to have to cancel another trip! We have been self testing prior and sometimes during trips and that has helped alleviate that unknown stress of "what if I test positive?" The other thing to maybe think about is that with the quarantine period being down to just 5 days (not sure if that's the same where you are headed), you might be able to join the cruise or just switch the trip up to Spain, if the worst happened. I would just make sure to have a travel insurance that covers trip interruption due to testing positive for COVID. I have found these readily available.

Does anyone have any recent experience with transferring MRs to ANA? That seems to be a great deal, 88K miles r/t to Europe with multiple destinations. We have several hundred thousand MRs and want to get the best use out of them. But with things the way there are, we probably won't take the trip until sometime in 2023.

I hate for you to have to cancel another trip! We have been self testing prior and sometimes during trips and that has helped alleviate that unknown stress of "what if I test positive?" The other thing to maybe think about is that with the quarantine period being down to just 5 days (not sure if that's the same where you are headed), you might be able to join the cruise or just switch the trip up to Spain, if the worst happened. I would just make sure to have a travel insurance that covers trip interruption due to testing positive for COVID. I have found these readily available.
I know. I so want to take dd to Europe! These are good suggestions. And yes, for sure on travel insurance.

Does anyone have any recent experience with transferring MRs to ANA? That seems to be a great deal, 88K miles r/t to Europe with multiple destinations. We have several hundred thousand MRs and want to get the best use out of them. But with things the way there are, we probably won't take the trip until sometime in 2023.
you can do air Canada for less no? transfer it to Lufthansa? you can do this for 60-65k for most flights that's what I'm looking at for my next trip if my February trip happens.
I'm looking to book ana first for Tokyo next year so I have a calendar appointment for 300 days out. (i was supposed to go April 2020) Their product could be worth the extra 30k points i have yet to fly them.

Yes the utilities were marked but I guess they don't mark the line going into the house which is generally in the front yard but in my house it's in the back (maybe because I have a corner lot).

They call this a private line which they aren't responsible for. The plumber said the pipe is 2' down and there's no reason they should have dug that deep.

Good news is the plumber fixed it for $250 and the fence company said they would split it with me. So it's not a huge deal and the water is back on.

Great to hear! Can you send that plumber up here? Mine hasn't returned my call. He will get to me eventually but I would appreciate a call at least now. I uninstalled my broken dishwasher in preparation for the new one arriving tomorrow and the pressure valve is seeping water. It's okay until a plumber arrives because I went to Lowes and capped it off ($3 part) but I want it fixed.

I'm only being patient because he's licensed, bonded and reasonable. It's rare to find all three in the same package at least around here.

And, when my son in law installed my fence (6 foot Trex) his crew put the poles down about 2 and 1/2 feet. Plus in concrete. The poles were 9 feet, and are about 6 inches above the fence including caps.

you can do air Canada for less no? transfer it to Lufthansa? you can do this for 60-65k for most flights that's what I'm looking at for my next trip if my February trip happens.
I'm looking to book ana first for Tokyo next year so I have a calendar appointment for 300 days out. (i was supposed to go April 2020) Their product could be worth the extra 30k points i have yet to fly them.

I think the 60-65K is for one way though right? ANA is 88K r/t.

Great to hear! Can you send that plumber up here? Mine hasn't returned my call. He will get to me eventually but I would appreciate a call at least now. I uninstalled my broken dishwasher in preparation for the new one arriving tomorrow and the pressure valve is seeping water. It's okay until a plumber arrives because I went to Lowes and capped it off ($3 part) but I want it fixed.

I'm only being patient because he's licensed, bonded and reasonable. It's rare to find all three in the same package at least around here.

And, when my son in law installed my fence (6 foot Trex) his crew put the poles down about 2 and 1/2 feet. Plus in concrete. The poles were 9 feet, and are about 6 inches above the fence including caps.
Finding good people is impossible. I was lucky that this one just did all the work in my master bath. But now my powder room toilet is messed up (maybe from the water being turned back on) so I shut off the water and I'll spend some time on google tomorrow but otherwise he might be back again next week!

Hope you get everything fixed and your new dishwasher up and running. It's the little things these days.

How do you like the Trex fence? I'm considering replacing our broken down wooden fence with Trex but I worry about the squirrels destroying it by chewing on it. They chew on our outdoor furniture.

Finding good people is impossible. I was lucky that this one just did all the work in my master bath. But now my powder room toilet is messed up (maybe from the water being turned back on) so I shut off the water and I'll spend some time on google tomorrow but otherwise he might be back again next week!

Hope you get everything fixed and your new dishwasher up and running. It's the little things these days.

It is impossible to find people to work on a house - in any specialty. I don't want to "like" your post but it does make me feel better to know there are others going through the same thing. If my kids were any sort of inclined I would have them learn a trade, I don't think some kids know how much some of these trades people can make.

1st post here and trying to get some advice.

“First off, we are going to want you to list ALL credit cards you were approved for in the last 24 months. “
-None in last 24 months

We currently use 4 credit cards,
Citi Double Cash (use for almost all purchases, bills etc to get 2% back on all)
Amex cash back (use just when an offer is attached I want to use)
Chase Amazon (use just for 5% back on Amazon)
Chase Disney (don’t really use much but have it in case of Disney discounts)

Credit score is perfect.

Payoff credit cards in full every month with very large monthly spend (every bill and all spending).

No flying. Trip would be driving.

Use Marriott Bonvoy for hotels as DH is Titanium from work travel.

Specific goal is to see to find the best way to save on a large trip in Sept for Disney and Universal. Planning to go all out on this trip. No kids, the trip will be DH and I plus MIL for part of trip.

Thank you

I'm going to try for a United biz card on my own, not using the biz EIN DH owns. I've gotten biz cards using the EIN in the past, but have also gotten denied. So if I do sole proprietor, what do I put for income if this is a new biz (ebay sales). Is there anywhere I list household income for a biz card? Just want to be prepared before I start. Also, does a personal United card support link exist for the biz card? Or just biz to biz? DH does have a personal United card.

How do you like the Trex fence? I'm considering replacing our broken down wooden fence with Trex but I worry about the squirrels destroying it by chewing on it. They chew on our outdoor furniture.

It is impossible to find people to work on a house - in any specialty. I don't want to "like" your post but it does make me feel better to know there are others going through the same thing. If my kids were any sort of inclined I would have them learn a trade, I don't think some kids know how much some of these trades people can make.

I absolutely love my Trex fence. The neighbors like it also especially since they didn't have to pay for it, lol. It's the same on both sides. I also have Trex decking (the upgraded stuff not the instore Lowes or Home Depot stuff) and railing. Squirrels haven't chewed it that I know off.

I have it in the gray color and my house is white so I like that color combo.

It is difficult to get people who want to do renovations that are good, qualified, bonded and licensed people who aren't part of some of the scam companies that charge double, promise the world, do a half decent job and then are nowhere to be found when you have issues.

I can find people all day long who are not willing to deal with permitting and other necessities. And, I found out through a couple of projects that some of the same companies who will charge top dollar, get those 'little guys' and use them to do your project as independent contractors. Almost like having 2 tiers of contractors. HD does it but are not quite as outrageous as a couple of companies that I probably shouldn't name.

I'm kind of ranting because my friend is going through heck right now with a mess where the contractor sealed in areas before the inspector for the county checked it. The architect drew the plans to code, plans were submitted, permits were obtained, but some things were not constructed to code or following the approved plans and now have to be torn out and redone, and contractor wants homeowner to pay for it.

I also live in an area where we are permitted to death. Good and bad. In my friends case, I think it's good, as what is being ripped up could be dangerous later on. On the other hand, now the permitting inspector is po'ed and somewhat unreasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter