• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Amex Plat offer for $150 when spending $800 at a fine resorts or whatever it’s called. So if I spend $800 I will get the $150 plus the $200 hotel credit.

Why is Amex tempting me so much. We are booked at Hilton Embassy Suites for 2 nights in Waikiki for our April trip. Totally on points, no fees.
Royal Hawaiian is $800 a night since we need two rooms or a suite. I am so tempted to book it bc I’m lazy and want to be right on the water.
However, even after all the credits I’ll still need like $1500 for 2 nights.
Plus it changes my touring style those two days.
Don’t do Diane, don’t do it!

Can someone help me with timing on SW offers? Trying to work it so that we end up with two CPs for '22-'23.

Hubby opens card now, doesn't break $2k until after his December statement date, then starts full charging on that card. Meanwhile, he refers me to get the 20k referral on his card. He'll hit CP as soon as he spends 12k on that card, mine will be the one we do targeted spend with things like phone, cable, SW airfare so that I can make up the 13k points I'll need after the 100k bonus and 12k spend.

How quickly will the referral hit his card? Does it also go with statement close date? My thought right now is that we're going to need to have him with a statement closing 12/1-12/5ish so that his December closes, then he refers me before the 12/7 deadline on the current offer. Is that accurate? Or are those referral points going to hit at a different time than statement closing? Unless I'm missing something, the timing is really tight for him referring me in the right window to get credited for 2022 but me still get the 100k SUB.

Neither of us has SW cards, we're both under 5/24.

Quick question on the AMEX RC cruise offer. I have $500 off of $1500, it says it's valid in one or more transactions. I just want to make sure I can book and pay a $500 deposit now, then pay the other $1000 before 12/31 to trigger the $500 credit? I do not want to screw this up!

Hello all!

I’ve been soaking up the collective knowledge on here over the last few weeks so I thought I’d introduce myself. I didn’t do any trips while my boys were in college, and the pandemic hit just as the youngest was about to graduate, so I am itching to get back to traveling. Sometimes it feels like I’m reading Greek on this thread, but I am here to learn from you amazing peeps! So here’s what’s in my wallet...

Chase Disney Visa (2012)
Chase Amazon Visa (4/2015)
Capital One Venture Visa (3/2020)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2021) just applied for this last week in my local branch for the 100,000 points with annual fee waived for first year, so THANK YOU GUYS for this one because I never would have applied for this if not for reading about it here.

I’m debating mothballing vs canceling the Amazon card because I’d rather use one of the cards with travel benefits. I’m not sure how it would affect my credit score to cancel a card though. I have a high score (839), and I don’t want to do anything that will impact that by much, so looking for advice on that.

Also was thinking about an airline card. I fly out of PHL, so was debating between one of the AAdvantage cards with Citi or Barclay’s vs a Chase Southwest card. The AA card would be more useful for flying overseas, but the Southwest cards have that smoking deal on points now, so I’m leaning toward that. My concern is about the number of cards I already have with Chase. Would that be of concern to them? Is there a limit to the number of personal cards they’ll approve? Also, how long would you recommend waiting between CC applications in general?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any and all advice! Heading back to Disney for a BWV/Poly split stay in May for the first time since 2014 and I can’t wait!!

Quick question on the AMEX RC cruise offer. I have $500 off of $1500, it says it's valid in one or more transactions. I just want to make sure I can book and pay a $500 deposit now, then pay the other $1000 before 12/31 to trigger the $500 credit? I do not want to screw this up!

that should work - wouldn't leave it too close to 12/31 though. Even though my next RC cruise is a year away, I just almost paid it off using two cards. $1000 savings is worth paying a year early!!.

Can someone help me with timing on SW offers? Trying to work it so that we end up with two CPs for '22-'23.

Hubby opens card now, doesn't break $2k until after his December statement date, then starts full charging on that card. Meanwhile, he refers me to get the 20k referral on his card. He'll hit CP as soon as he spends 12k on that card, mine will be the one we do targeted spend with things like phone, cable, SW airfare so that I can make up the 13k points I'll need after the 100k bonus and 12k spend.

How quickly will the referral hit his card? Does it also go with statement close date? My thought right now is that we're going to need to have him with a statement closing 12/1-12/5ish so that his December closes, then he refers me before the 12/7 deadline on the current offer. Is that accurate? Or are those referral points going to hit at a different time than statement closing? Unless I'm missing something, the timing is really tight for him referring me in the right window to get credited for 2022 but me still get the 100k SUB.

Neither of us has SW cards, we're both under 5/24.
Hubby opens card now, doesn't break $2k until after his December statement date, then starts full charging on that card. Meanwhile, he refers me to get the 20k referral support on his card. He'll hit CP as soon as he spends 12k on that card, mine will be the one we do targeted spend with things like phone, cable, SW airfare so that I can make up the 13k points I'll need after the 100k bonus and 12k spend.

How quickly will the referral hit his card? The 20K support usually takes 1-3 weeks to go pending and will post with his statement. I would hold off until after his Dec. statement to use his support link. Does it also go with statement close date? YES My thought right now is that we're going to need to have him with a statement closing 12/1-12/5ish so that his December closes, then he refers me before the 12/7 deadline on the current offer. Is that accurate? Or are those referral points going to hit at a different time than statement closing? Unless I'm missing something, the timing is really tight for him referring me in the right window to get credited for 2022 but me still get the 100k SUB. The support links are usually good for at least 5 days after the deadline.

Neither of us has SW cards, we're both under 5/24. ETA: He'll be able to create a support link as soon as he's approved and the card is on his Chase account. So if you wait until late November to apply everything should work good with posting in 2022.

Welcome to this thread.

A warning for anyone thinking of using the Spirit of Halloween Amex offer, it might not pay out for you (at least if you go to a physical store). I just spent a while chatting with Amex about this offer and it turns out that a number of physical stores aren't eligible (they determine eligibility based on a merchant code, which isn't listed on the offer terms so there's no way to check whether the store you are shopping at will be covered). The person I chatted with at Amex seemed unable/unwilling to do anything to apply the credit, so I'm disappointed. It was only $10 lost, but I only went to that store to shop for costumes because of the discount. Would have just gone to Target and got the stuff for cheaper otherwise!

I was looking at my Netflix account to see if I need to load up on gift cards. I don’t see a balance anywhere. Can anyone tell me where to find it? I know it used to show me. Also I notice that they just charge me Willy nilly whenever they feel like it apparently. My billing date went from the 26th, to 13th, to 3rd, to 22nd and now it says the 9th. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Anyone else’s account look like this?

FABFEC2A-332D-468B-8034-C55D9C7FC9CF.jpeg

Hello all!

I’ve been soaking up the collective knowledge on here over the last few weeks so I thought I’d introduce myself. I didn’t do any trips while my boys were in college, and the pandemic hit just as the youngest was about to graduate, so I am itching to get back to traveling. Sometimes it feels like I’m reading Greek on this thread, but I am here to learn from you amazing peeps! So here’s what’s in my wallet...

Chase Disney Visa (2012)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2021) just applied for this last week in my local branch for the 100,000 points with annual fee waived for first year, so THANK YOU GUYS for this one because I never would have applied for this if not for reading about it here.

I’m debating mothballing vs canceling the Amazon card because I’d rather use one of the cards with travel benefits. I’m not sure how it would affect my credit score to cancel a card though. I have a high score (839), and I don’t want to do anything that will impact that by much, so looking for advice on that.

Also was thinking about an airline card. I fly out of PHL, so was debating between one of the AAdvantage cards with Citi or Barclay’s vs a Chase Southwest card. The AA card would be more useful for flying overseas, but the Southwest cards have that smoking deal on points now, so I’m leaning toward that. My concern is about the number of cards I already have with Chase. Would that be of concern to them? Is there a limit to the number of personal cards they’ll approve? Also, how long would you recommend waiting between CC applications in general?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any and all advice! Heading back to Disney for a BWV/Poly split stay in May for the first time since 2014 and I can’t wait!!

Cancelling the Amazon won't be terrible for your credit score, but since you've had it since 2015 I would just keep it.

Chase doesn't care how many cards you have with them, they only care about how fast you get new cards. It is recommended you wait 3 months between Chase cards, but it's not a hard rule. So if you wait 2 months before you get another card (SW), you should probably wait 4 months before you get another Chase card.

I have the AA Barclay card and I has been worth it, I would suggest getting that one, specially if you plan to fly AA since it gives you free checked bags. Barclay has a 6/24 rule, so keep that in mind when applying.

Just saw these on 2 of my cards..SW and Disney…

they are listed with the regular offers…stores on mine with 20% off are Mc Donald’s, Walgreens, Bed Bath and Beyond, Exxon Mobil…they expire 10/24

I had them on my freedom. Also had offers for jc Penney on 3 cards, 5, 10 and 15%. They went up as I found them. Always look at their xmas stuff and kitchen stuff for stocking stuffers so this is good.

Hello all!

Chase Disney Visa (2012)

Welcome!

Chase also cares about how much credit line you have with them (they don't care about CL with other issuers). Rule of thumb is 50% of income or 75k, whichever is lower. So if your CLs are high, at some point, you may want to ask them to lower it. Secure message works for this if you don't want to call (I hate calling).

Chase also has the 5/24 rule, where if you have 5 new personal cards (with any issuer, not just Chase) within the last 24 months, they won't approve you for any of their cards. Looks like you are 2/24. If you get both the SW personal card and one of the AA personal cards, that would make you 4/24.

You may want to consider business cards. A lot of side gigs can count. You'd apply as a sole proprietor and your name as the business name.

Citibank has been inquiry sensitive lately, so the hard pull for your CSP might affect your approval odds. Barclays is nice that they usually pull Transunion, which other issuers don't tend to pull. The Barclays Aviator biz is at a tiered 80k AA miles for $6000 total spend over 12 months (50k for $1000 in first 3 months).

Welcome!

Chase also cares about how much credit line you have with them (they don't care about CL with other issuers). Rule of thumb is 50% of income or 75k, whichever is lower. So if your CLs are high, at some point, you may want to ask them to lower it. Secure message works for this if you don't want to call (I hate calling).

Chase also has the 5/24 rule, where if you have 5 new personal cards (with any issuer, not just Chase) within the last 24 months, they won't approve you for any of their cards. Looks like you are 2/24. If you get both the SW personal card and one of the AA personal cards, that would make you 4/24.

You may want to consider business cards. A lot of side gigs can count. You'd apply as a sole proprietor and your name as the business name.

Citibank has been inquiry sensitive lately, so the hard pull for your CSP might affect your approval odds. Barclays is nice that they usually pull Transunion, which other issuers don't tend to pull. The Barclays Aviator biz is at a tiered 80k AA miles for $6000 total spend over 12 months (50k for $1000 in first 3 months).
Business cards don't count for the ~75K CL limit with Chase, right?

Regarding the Chase Freedom Flex "Top Category" bonus, how do you know you are getting it? I have not received an email from Chase, nor can I find any mention of it on my App.
I didn't get an email either, but I can see it referenced on the chase site when I log in. Under my Freedom Flex if I click on:

5% cash back (Oct-Dec)5% cash back (Oct-Dec)|Details

Then on the right side of the page:

Have more questions? See FAQs & Merchant List

The last section on the left says: "Earning your 5% cash back on your Top Spend Category offer" and it has all the details.

When I click the same link on my Freedom, I don't see the same thing. So I'm assuming it's only on the Flex not the plain Freedom.
I do wish there was an email or something more concrete to confirm. I'm going to put all my grocery spend on the Flex to get the 5%. If the 5% for whatever reason doesn't happen, I'll only be getting 1% when I could've at least gotten 1.5% on my Freedom Unlimited or used Visa gift cards bought for 5% back. Annoying to have to wait

Just got a SW Priority Chase card approved thru a referral from my son. Had to call for approval and they gave me a very high credit limit - almost $18,000. Should I ask them to lower it? I asked to expedite but they said they do not offer that with SW cards. Also, FYI the referral link said the offer was good thru 12/1, not 12/7 on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter