I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called AMEX reconsideration line and they said too many cards have recently been cancelled.

I have never heard that one before. Wondering how long to wait to reapply. I don’t feel there have been many recent cancellations...maybe 3 in last 4 months or so as cards hit annual fee and none were Amex.

amex dislikes churning... put all your spendings onto amex and reapply in a month or 2.

This January is our 20th anniversary and I had been thinking that we might take a "big" trip, fly somewhere, etc. But, now I don't think I'm going to be comfortable with flying by then, or going to big tourist destinations. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a special resort in Northern California that would be good for a weekend trip from the Sacramento area? Doesn't have to be a chain, UR points are a possibility, but we might even consider spending real cash-money for this trip, lol. @Lain , I feel like I've seen you mention one, but I can't remember what it was.

if its just 2 ppl, then Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe or id do big sur with Ventana (part of Hyatt's luxury collection). If your Marriott fan, u can possibly to Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay to relax.
ive heard Lake Tahoe may be over runned by tourist, but hyatt regency sits in the north which should be pretty quiet. id probably avoid the NV/CA border area in that case... ill let @gottalovepluto make a comment on Lake Tahoe.

ps, most of the places i listed are places i just want to go personally to relax and enjoy some luxury...

I had Southwest travel funds for DD and DH that were due to expire in Oct. 2020 so were not automatically covered by the extension/conversion option. I booked a dummy flight before 9/7 and will cancel in 48 hours to take advantage of the point conversion option (Southwest customer service told me to do this directly so I figured it was okay to post here).

I'm debating on whether to use my remaining $250 Aspire and DH's $200 Platinum airline credits to take advantage of the point conversion option.

Am I correct that I have to decide and have the trips booked/cancelled by Sept. 7th but I can then decide whether to keep as Travel Funds or convert to points by December? Is everyone doing this?

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. Is there a way to get something out of our unused Amex airline credits?

if its just 2 ppl, then Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe or id do big sur with Ventana (part of Hyatt's luxury collection). If your Marriott fan, u can possibly to Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay to relax.
ive heard Lake Tahoe may be over runned by tourist, but hyatt regency sits in the north which should be pretty quiet. id probably avoid the NV/CA border area in that case... ill let @gottalovepluto make a comment on Lake Tahoe.

ps, most of the places i listed are places i just want to go personally to relax and enjoy some luxury...

North Tahoe is usually less crowded, but I've read some complaints from people who live up in Tahoe saying that there are too many tourists there. I checked out the Hyatt a few weeks ago online, but they said that the restaurants and activities were closed even though the hotel was open. If the activity area was open we could rent paddleboards or kayaks, but with it closed we decided not to go. I do think it's a good recommendation in general.

Called AMEX reconsideration line and they said too many cards have recently been cancelled.

I have never heard that one before. Wondering how long to wait to reapply. I don’t feel there have been many recent cancellations...maybe 3 in last 4 months or so as cards hit annual fee and none were Amex.

Sorry to hear about the denial. I'm wondering if it's because she's completely new to Amex. Came across this DP today. Maybe Amex doesn't want new customers like how Chase doesn't want sole proprietors now. I haven't been on r/churning enough lately to know if there are other DPs of this.

Thanks, @Albort! Some great ideas!

North Tahoe is usually less crowded, but I've read some complaints from people who live up in Tahoe saying that there are too many tourists there. I checked out the Hyatt a few weeks ago online, but they said that the restaurants and activities were closed even though the hotel was open. If the activity area was open we could rent paddleboards or kayaks, but with it closed we decided not to go. I do think it's a good recommendation in general.

Yeah, I have been hearing that Lake Tahoe is extremely crowded right now. Hoping to avoid that, but I'm also hoping that that the COVID situation will be at least a little better by January...

This January is our 20th anniversary and I had been thinking that we might take a "big" trip, fly somewhere, etc. But, now I don't think I'm going to be comfortable with flying by then, or going to big tourist destinations. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a special resort in Northern California that would be good for a weekend trip from the Sacramento area? Doesn't have to be a chain, UR points are a possibility, but we might even consider spending real cash-money for this trip, lol. @Lain , I feel like I've seen you mention one, but I can't remember what it was.

Will second @Albort 's suggestions for Ventana Inn Big Sur and Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. I have reviews up for both on our hotel thread. Ventana is especially wonderful and just crazy value. Especially now that it's all inclusive for the same number of points!

Here's some good info about what it is like during the pandemic:
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/ventana-big-sur-during-the-pandemic-a-readers-experience/

Yeah, I have been hearing that Lake Tahoe is extremely crowded right now. Hoping to avoid that, but I'm also hoping that that the COVID situation will be at least a little better by January...
Sorry, meant to multi quote but yes, Tahoe is crazy. It was better last weekend than in July, but I've had a cabin up there for almost 40 years (first my parents and then our own), and I can't remember ever seeing it as busy as It was last month. It was so bad we wouldn't go to the beach and/or hike on the PCT. It seemed like a lot of multi-family use in cabins. It's very concerning as where we are is not equipped to handle that amount of people.

👍

On weekends/holidays if the snow is good even North Shore is overrun. But for this specific trip I’d pass due to weather. One bad snow storm will blow the whole weekend, (could end up backed up on 80 for hours or 80 could get closed). I’d go Coastal so if bad weather hits at least you can still get there and then hunker down someplace marvelous.

Sorry, meant to multi quote but yes, Tahoe is crazy. It was better last weekend than in July, but I've had a cabin up there for almost 40 years (first my parents and then our own), and I can't remember ever seeing it as busy as It was last month. It was so bad we wouldn't go to the beach and/or hike on the PCT. It seemed like a lot of multi-family use in cabins. It's very concerning as where we are is not equipped to handle that amount of people.
Are you CA side? Been hearing it’s crazy. Sand Harbor sounds nuts too. Saw there’s not much social distancing going on at that beach.

I haven’t been to the local beach much, and only early in the morning so it’s been wonderfully quiet, but being on the North Shore luckily they locked down the beaches to residents/property owners only pretty much so the beaches are spared some of the tourist onslaught. (They are small and very easily overrun). Been avoiding tourist heavy times at the grocery store like the plague. Went to Starbucks at like 9am on a Sat last month- ordered, asked about my drink and was told it’s over a 45 min wait!! Yeah. Didn’t try that again 🤣

ETA: and the property sales are bonkers this year... But just wait until all the Newbies get a REAL winter 😝

They’re renting paddle boards and kayaks at the private beach just down the road from Hyatt Regency, so you made me wonder if maybe Hyatt was now too and I gave them a call and asked the concierge if they were renting Kayaks and she said they are! (And some dining is open.) Just in case you want a getaway ;)

Last edited:
Doing a little clean-up of my spreadsheet tonight... and I just noticed something sort of funny. A few years ago I took some steps to get back under 5/24. And I often discussed in our group here about becoming more of a "slow churner". (And let's be honest, I probably meant moderately slow, lol).

Well... perhaps I failed at that endeavor. Over the past 24 months we have gotten 24 cards (in 2 player mode).

So I'm going to again pledge to embrace being a "slow churner"... let's see how it works this time... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Doing a little clean-up of my spreadsheet tonight... and I just noticed something sort of funny. A few years ago I took some steps to get back under 5/24. And I often discussed in our group here about becoming more of a "slow churner". (And let's be honest, I probably meant moderately slow, lol).

Well... perhaps I failed at that endeavor. Over the past 24 months we have gotten 24 cards (in 2 player mode).

So I'm going to again pledge to embrace being a "slow churner"... let's see how it works this time... 🤣 🤣 🤣

im 1/24. does that make me a "turtle churner"?

Are you CA side? Been hearing it’s crazy. Sand Harbor sounds nuts too. Saw there’s not much social distancing going on at that beach.

I haven’t been to the local beach much, and only early in the morning so it’s been wonderfully quiet, but being on the North Shore luckily they locked down the beaches to residents/property owners only pretty much so the beaches are spared some of the tourist onslaught. (They are small and very easily overrun). Been avoiding tourist heavy times at the grocery store like the plague. Went to Starbucks at like 9am on a Sat last month- ordered, asked about my drink and was told it’s over a 45 min wait!! Yeah. Didn’t try that again 🤣

ETA: and the property sales are bonkers this year... But just wait until all the Newbies get a REAL winter 😝

Yep, we are on the summit. We usually escape the Truckee/Northstar/Squaw madness, but it's hit us big time. The owner of our local store told us that there have been more home sales on the summit in the past couple months than there have been in the past 5 years. Our local HOA (very small) beach is talking about changing things to control access, too, which is a bummer but IMO necessary. We went to the beach for the first time since early June on Tuesday. It was the first time it's been empty enough for us to social distance. Despite the state-wide mandate, no one is wearing masks up there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter