• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Friends - Looking to make sure I'm not missing any potential CC tips: We just won a large auction on eBay - gonna spend ~$200. Any credit card related discounts or offers that I should be thinking about before we make the payment?
I usually use my CFU for the 1.5 points. If you wanted to purchase a $200 eBay gift card with your CIC at Staples you would get 5x

INCREASED OFFER ON AMERICAN EXPRESS GOLD CARD:
There is a 60,000 MR for $4k MSR (6 months to spend) offer now available through Amex Support links. You can find this offer here on DISchurners.

This is an intriguing card. While it carries a $250 annual fee, it has some credits to help offset that AND it earns 4X MRs at Grocery Stores and Restaurants making it a very popular card. 6 months to meet the MSR is also attractive for some. If you met the entire MSR in the bonus categories this works out to 76,000 MRs for $4k spend.

For those with links, please update your descriptions on DISchurners accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up! Instant approval. I used DH's Gold Biz to support for an additional 20k. The 60k will be cashed out for $750 with Schwab, while the 20k will continue to add to DH's stash.

This takes me to 7/24, but 3 will drop off by the end of the year.

There is a 60,000 MR for $4k MSR (6 months to spend) offer now available through Amex Support links. You can find this offer here on DISchurners.

This is an intriguing card. While it carries a $250 annual fee, it has some credits to help offset that AND it earns 4X MRs at Grocery Stores and Restaurants making it a very popular card. 6 months to meet the MSR is also attractive for some. If you met the entire MSR in the bonus categories this works out to 76,000 MRs for $4k spend.

For those with links, please update your descriptions on DISchurners accordingly.
I have a couple questions. What did the offer used to be? Does Amex count shipt as grocery?

Booked flights this morning for our Easter re-do trip for next year. Glad we can at least look forward to that big family trip again - albeit cautiously - it's nice to have it back "on the books."
Decided to convert all my SW travel funds to points yesterday. Points are just so much easier to work with and I hate having to keep track of different travel funds. I feel this will make things much simpler so I'm glad they gave us that option.
21 more days and I'll be back at my happy place! So excited to be back again and interested to see how this experience will differ from our mid-July trip.

Is it stupid to even consider booking a cruise in spring 2021? I saw an itinerary I liked. We could cover about half the cost with Chase points. DH thinks, given the Covid situation, he does not wan to book anything right now.

We have a 7 day Carnival cruise booked for Feb 14th. It was booked way before the issues we are dealing with now though. I'm really hoping we are able to sail, but I know that realistically it just may not happen. Just holding on to hope. Final payment is due in mid-November, so we will just have to decide at that time if we want to pay it off or not.

I agree with looking into the policies of whichever line you are looking at for this cruise. Some of the lines are offering relaxed cancellation policies right now, so you'll want to know what those are. Some lines are being a bit more difficult than others, so you'll want to be aware of that as well.

Hey Friends - Looking to make sure I'm not missing any potential CC tips: We just won a large auction on eBay - gonna spend ~$200. Any credit card related discounts or offers that I should be thinking about before we make the payment?
If it's not too late, check if you have a 5% ebay bucks promotion. I got an email about it.

I have a couple questions. What did the offer used to be? Does Amex count shipt as grocery?

I don't know, but I do know that they don't count PrimeNow (Whole Foods) which is where I'm getting ours. It's really, really annoying. So now they aren't getting much of our regular spend. The 1.5 on the CUI is better than what Amex is willing to give us. :(

I don't know, but I do know that they don't count PrimeNow (Whole Foods) which is where I'm getting ours. It's really, really annoying. So now they aren't getting much of our regular spend. The 1.5 on the CUI is better than what Amex is willing to give us. :(
Okay we probably won’t apply for the gold then. We most likely would’ve gotten the pop up anyway

I'm not the best at these, but ebay is on the slide app which gives you 4% back for exact dollar amount gift cards. You can get an extra percent if you preload the money, so it really works out to 5%. The one things about it is that there is a daily limit, but I think $200 should be ok.

I then usually shop through mypoints for ebay (if you use them) because they don't have any category exclusions. Not many points, but I guess it all adds up.

I'm late to the answering game.... when we visited Yellowstone, we did a series of their in park cabin choices... kind of a 2-3 at each around the big driving loop so we could get an overall feel.... we drove in thru the Tetons,stayed at a tent cabin in the park...it was roughinig it, but glorious scenery- around the loop we stayed at Old Faithful cabin(no bathroom insdie) (My favorite place! love it so much) Mammoth Hotel (1 night, it was HOT and this place has no a/c) and the canyon cabins...which were rustic, but pleasant and roomy. I liked that each spot had it's own little village with a general store,so we could get food and supplies.... this way we got to do trails and sight near each nights stop. I wish I could be there right now...I want to go back and stay at Old Faithful cabin! The nice thing about the cabins is you're still near the hotel options,with all the restaurants etc if you wish. We enjoyed the Old Faithful area for just relaxing...
Wonderful. I could not do roughing it with the bathroom outside! I am not a 5 star hotel person, but I like my bathroom to be in my room. We did the same thing to make it easy to see everything. I liked eating at all the different restaurants in each section. At Canyon there was the cutest little diner in the village.

On the topic of food Ice Cream (huckleberry) at Tower intersection is wonderful on a hot day after doing the trail to see the waterfall.

@becauseimnew You probably already know this but @hsmamato2 brings up a good point. There aren't rooms/cabins in the park with AC, Phones, TVs, Internet/ cell service is very spotty to mostly non-existent. I don't miss it cause you are in Yellowstone! The nature is amazing but you do have to set your lodging expectations accordingly.

We took a super short, last minute trip to Vail, CO, this week. We missed out on the Switzerland part of our canceled Europe trip last week, so this was an attempt at a substitute. It was actually really nice, and with the stone pavers and European style architecture, and so many different languages being spoken around us, and lots of customer service folks with various accents it was almost easy to pretend we were somewhere far away.

I used a Hotels .com gc for the first night, and DH's vanilla Plat for the 2nd night and made sure the same guest name and room type was the same on both nights. His Plat has a $200 travel credit offer on it (mine doesn't, I think it depends on when the renewal was DoC LINK and I just opened mine a few months ago) which was something the Amex rep touted when DH tried for a retention offer (and he didn't get a retention offer) if the booking was made through Amex Travel. He called the morning of arrival to ask for the reservations to be linked so that we wouldn't have to switch rooms. Happily, we were upgraded to a suite for both nights even though the first night was through Hotels .com (I was hopeful but didn't know ahead if that would work out that way). With the Fine Hotels and Resorts booking, we got free breakfast (supposed to be for 2 people but they covered DD too) and $100 property credit, and 4pm checkout. We went hiking (a 27000 step day for me!) and biking and it was beautiful up there. Short but sweet. And the $200 credit has already posted. Also used some Shop Small offers on food.

Great deal on a great card. This is the one card I will never let go of. At least as long as I have kids in the house that eat like I used to.
usual offer is 40,000/3k or 50,000/4k. 60,000 is as high as it ever goes on the Gold.
Reports are all over the place, some say it works, some say it doesn't. Instacart counts. @mmmears pointed out that Whole Foods deliveries are actually Prime Now, so it codes as Amazon.

We took a super short, last minute trip to Vail, CO, this week. We missed out on the Switzerland part of our canceled Europe trip last week, so this was an attempt at a substitute. It was actually really nice, and with the stone pavers and European style architecture, and so many different languages being spoken around us, and lots of customer service folks with various accents it was almost easy to pretend we were somewhere far away.

I used a Hotels .com gc for the first night, and DH's vanilla Plat for the 2nd night and made sure the same guest name and room type was the same on both nights. His Plat has a $200 travel credit offer on it (mine doesn't, I think it depends on when the renewal was DoC LINK and I just opened mine a few months ago) which was something the Amex rep touted when DH tried for a retention offer (and he didn't get a retention offer) if the booking was made through Amex Travel. He called the morning of arrival to ask for the reservations to be linked so that we wouldn't have to switch rooms. Happily, we were upgraded to a suite for both nights even though the first night was through Hotels .com (I was hopeful but didn't know ahead if that would work out that way). With the Fine Hotels and Resorts booking, we got free breakfast (supposed to be for 2 people but they covered DD too) and $100 property credit, and 4pm checkout. We went hiking (a 27000 step day for me!) and biking and it was beautiful up there. Short but sweet. And the $200 credit has already posted. Also used some Shop Small offers on food.

View attachment 518178

View attachment 518179

View attachment 518180

Gorgeous!

There is a lot of talk of Increased SUPPORT Points (for the person generating the link) on Amex. It might warrant checking which card you generated your links from and updating accordingly on DISchurners. You might find 20k or even 30k MRs for just one click! It seems that it is on Plat cards and Gold cards (I don't have either so I can't personally verify this info).

And of course with the new Gold offer drawing attention, you might find some people signing up for cards soon!

Reminder: If you use a link on DISchurners and get approved, consider PMing the person. This would be especially helpful in light of the news I just shared since people could max out with just 2 clicks.

Great deal on a great card. This is the one card I will never let go of. At least as long as I have kids in the house that eat like I used to.
usual offer is 40,000/3k or 50,000/4k. 60,000 is as high as it ever goes on the Gold.
Reports are all over the place, some say it works, some say it doesn't. Instacart counts. @mmmears pointed out that Whole Foods deliveries are actually Prime Now, so it codes as Amazon.

Yep. Before the current situation it was a favorite card around here and one of the few that never left my wallet. But now, with no trips to the grocery store and very limited restaurant use at the moment it's not a real player in the wallet here.

There is a lot of talk of Increased SUPPORT Points (for the person generating the link) on Amex. It might warrant checking which card you generated your links from and updating accordingly on DISchurners. You might find 20k or even 30k MRs for just one click! It seems that it is on Plat cards and Gold cards (I don't have either so I can't personally verify this info).

And of course with the new Gold offer drawing attention, you might find some people signing up for cards soon!

Reminder: If you use a link on DISchurners and get approved, consider PMing the person. This would be especially helpful in light of the news I just shared since people could max out with just 2 clicks.

Guess they don't like me, still at 15k for my plat.

While I don't have near the six figures of RR points in my account a la South Fayette Fan, I did just pull the plug on our last planned trip for 2020 :( This was supposed to be our big year to use DH's companion pass and instead we've used it just one time. After converting all my travel funds I now have 35k points and nowhere to use them. :charac2:

On the bright side, I finally ripped off the Bandaid and redeemed a bunch of URs at Home Depot and Lowe's. We used the points to purchase some new light fixtures, curtain hardware, a patio umbrella, and various gadgets to help improve the storage on our deck and in the garage. I will be thanking Chase once it's just a little cooler out and I can sit outside without totally melting.

I've got 30k on my Gold right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter