• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With travel so up in the air (ha ha), I don’t know when we’ll be able to use these certs. So I booked a stay at the RC HMB next month when we in Northern California usually get our summers so 🤞!

I think that's a great use of the certs. And I hope you get weather like today. :goodvibes

I think that's a great use of the certs. And I hope you get weather like today. :goodvibes

Oh we’re down in Cambria this weekend. Enjoyed high 70s-80° weather at Moonstone Beach while the rest of the state baked. We were supposed to be at Disneyland.

But yes, the Marriott 50k FNC is a lot more versatile than the 35k FNC. With the 50k FNC, you can book a Cat 7 property when it’s off peak (50k). You can’t book a Cat 6 property off peak (40k) with a 35k FNC, and if a Cat 5 property is at peak (40k), you’re SOL and can’t even book a Cat 5.

Last edited:
Oh we’re down in Cambria this weekend. Enjoyed high 70s-80° weather at Moonstone Beach while the rest of the state baked. We were supposed to be at Disneyland.

But yes, the Marriott 50k FNC is a lot more versatile than the 35k FNC. With the 50k FNC, you can book a Cat 7 property when it’s off peak (50k). You can’t book a Cat 6 property off peak (40k) with a 35k FNC, and if a Cat 5 property is at peak (40k), you’re SOL and can’t even book a Cat 5.

I've recently been watching the Cat 5, Cat 6, and Cat 7's for my 50 point certificate and have observed Cat 5's going to 40k, blocking out my 35k cert but allowing my 50k - still a good $ value with rooms as high as $600 in this category. Cat 6's being 50k, but peaking at 60k, and even 55k, and Cat 7 being dropped as low as 55k but not 50k.

I realize that I am looking at a seasonal market where the high costs and points only go for 4 months, but once those four months have passed, prices are very low, and not worth wasting the points or certificates on. It's definitely a weird market where a Fairfield Inn is 60K points.

But, although I am understanding of Marriott's need to meet it's bottom line, the 50k is not performing as it was expected - Marriott offered a product, the Brilliant, with a certificate good for an expected category of hotel, and then before the certs could be used, changed the rules. Not cool, Marriott. I could probably overlook this if the product had been given one year to perform, but for applicants who app'ed in Aug 2018 and received the first certs in November 2019, the rules changed almost immediately with the implemented peak pricing.

Hyatt, on the other hand, announced peak pricing but didn't put it into gear, due to the current issues. They did go ahead with their revised point schedule, but even here, gave customers a promo that effectively gives back the points they added.

I'll be keeping my Marriott products and getting a bit of value from them, but when it comes to cash rooms, Hyatt will get my dollars. The 3 night stay I'm doing now is 60K points, but 15K will be returned via the promo. I'll be back in September/October on cash visits.

I am planning on having DH get a CFU. He isn't into churning and doesn’t like to open new cards but will usually agree to get a new card every few years if it means I ask him for less money to travel.
Im thinking this is a good option since he can get the 5% on groceries for a year and then switch to use this as his everyday card to earn me UR for multiple big trips I have planned in the upcoming years.
I would like to use my support link. How do I generate it? When on my acct I clink on the link to earn through friends it sends me to the Chase app, and the link is no where to be found?

I am planning on having DH get a CFU. He isn't into churning and doesn’t like to open new cards but will usually agree to get a new card every few years if it means I ask him for less money to travel.
Im thinking this is a good option since he can get the 5% on groceries for a year and then switch to use this as his everyday card to earn me UR for multiple big trips I have planned in the upcoming years.
I would like to use my support link. How do I generate it? When on my acct I clink on the link to earn through friends it sends me to the Chase app, and the link is no where to be found?
If you google Chase refer a friend ....the link should come up

Use the link:
https://www.chase.com/referafriend/catch-all
put in your info and On the next page, you should get a link that you can copy and paste into a new browser page.

My mother told me she was able to change her Chase Freedom 5% category for this quarter. Rather than Amazon and Whole Foods she claims she was able to keep Grocery stores and add Gas stations. I believe she's crazy but thought I would ask here.

My mother told me she was able to change her Chase Freedom 5% category for this quarter. Rather than Amazon and Whole Foods she claims she was able to keep Grocery stores and add Gas stations. I believe she's crazy but thought I would ask here.
I've never heard of being able to change categories. Some Chase co-branded cardholders got emails to activate increased category spend, but I haven't read anything about the Freedom card except the grocery bonus for new card holders.

Did she change it or is it just an additional bonus? My CF has Amazon and WF like normal. I also received an email saying utilities, car insurance, phone, cable and internet are also 5%.

I never had any MR earning cards but I know I am probably missing out on something good, lol. Recently, the talk of new offers has me wondering if I should apply for one. Is there a best card to start with? What is the main use for MR points? Is there a website similar to the Chase UR site where you can book travel?

MR's usefulness comes with J/F class tickets. you wont be able to find a J class ticket for 80k rt anywhere with URs. UR when it comes to air tickets power is for Y class and UR portal. you find UR popular with family and Y class flyer. You find MR popular among couples and premium class flyers.

could be a mix up with new card app. new card apps have the 5% with grocery stores. 5x with CSR at gas stations.
probably should ask to check statement to be 100% sure.

Awesome! I hear Shenanigan’s is good.

I did take out from Shark on the Harbor. They have a few things I really like on their menu and they try to change it up and use farm to table ingredients. This time I had a lump crab and avocado appetizer and a stuffed chicken breast with fresh corn and mashed potatoes.

Weird. I just got a call (didn't answer) from Southwest to let me know a recent flight has been changed and an email was sent out. My flights look fine, they all match my spreadsheet. Caller ID showed Denver Press Club, the 1-800 number does point back to Southwest. :confused3 I've never had them call me like that.

MR's usefulness comes with J/F class tickets. you wont be able to find a J class ticket for 80k rt anywhere with URs. UR when it comes to air tickets power is for Y class and UR portal. you find UR popular with family and Y class flyer. You find MR popular among couples and premium class flyers.

I agree, but will add that if you book through Flying Blue you can use either URs or MRs at the same rate. So it is possible, but maybe there aren't as many options. We booked pretty much the same AF J-class flights from here to Europe in 2018, 2019, and 2020 and the 2019 ones were booked with URs. I do think that the MRs are really versatile when it comes to booking J or F seats overseas. :)

I agree, but will add that if you book through Flying Blue you can use either URs or MRs at the same rate. So it is possible, but maybe there aren't as many options. We booked pretty much the same AF J-class flights from here to Europe in 2018, 2019, and 2020 and the 2019 ones were booked with URs. I do think that the MRs are really versatile when it comes to booking J or F seats overseas. :)

But I think that's also a good point, there are a few airlines, like flying blue or Virgin Atlantic that both UR and MR, and possibly Citi thank you points all transfer to. TYP transfer to Virgin as well. So if you are concerned about velocity with one issuer but need points to transfer to a specific airline for europe or asia, it's good to see who else can transfer as it can make it easier to get the amount needed.

I’m in the process of trying to convert my travel credits on two separate cards into SW RR. For those of you doing this, how long are you waiting to cancel your “trip”? And is it different for Chase vs Amex?

I’m in the process of trying to convert my travel credits on two separate cards into SW RR. For those of you doing this, how long are you waiting to cancel your “trip”? And is it different for Chase vs Amex?
I waited until I saw the credit on my SW card. But I don't know if it matters. The cancellation isn't necessarily reported back to the card, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter