I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, I joined the pile of AA shutdowns today. Knew it was coming and booked backup flights a few weeks ago. On the bright side I have legit uses now for my Amex credits- seat selection fees and bag check fees here I come lol. It was a good ride!
Were you notified by email? Or how do you know?

This would depend on the points.

Amex MR? Never. Their recent adverse actions demonstrate their pettiness knows no bounds.

Chase UR? Probably also never, but we don't really have DPs of Chase clawing back. But as Amex shows, it could happen any time.

For any other hotel or airline, they seem relatively safe - for all of Amex's clawbacks, they seem very hesitant in going after third party points.

Now, if a hotel or airline takes a turn like AA, then it doesn't matter, and it's truly never safe.
Sooo should we put off travel for another year or so when we would be comfortable paying in full from savings? I mostly have URs but just starting to get nervous about cashing in on any points with how AA had been acting and of course Amex's rep.

I think our softball team is going to buy out our stay to play requirement for Oklahoma City. Any hotel recommendations for the area? It sounds like the fields we'll be playing on are scattered around so location doesn't seem too important. Some families are looking at AirBnB, some hotel. I will likely book a hotel on points. My preference is 3 sleeping surfaces (so 2 beds and a pullout). I don't even know where to begin.

Ah, I was curious about where I read that and found it in the Companion Pass program terms on the SW website (emphasis mine):
"The Member and the Companion must check in together and, if asked, present the Companion Pass card at the Southwest Ticket Counter, Skycap podium, or Departure Gate in order for the Companion to travel. "

I brought it with us because at that point what was one more card to carry?

2) I haven't had a $59 fare in a while. I miss them. Last great deal was $44 PHL-MCO in Dec 2015, I think we booked that in Nov. (It was an unplanned last minute trip to see the last Holiday Lights show once we saw how cheap flights were).
For us the $59 fares were short hop, non-stops. I'm not sure where they are now but not out of PHL that I've seen.

3) Deals pop up at various times. If you're flying during a peak period or peak day/time then it's usually better to book it earlier rather than later. Weekends are usually more pricey than Tue-Thu, so when I booked our Seattle flight for Friday I grabbed it on schedule open and it never went below that price. I think the 737Max grounding has affected the pricing since there's the same (or more) demand for less seats
Last great deal was 4 years ago...ugh!
Thank you for the knowledge. I'm sure we'll bring the card b/c I'm paranoid that way. I'll make sure to set an alert on my phone for the release dates.

I think our softball team is going to buy out our stay to play requirement for Oklahoma City. Any hotel recommendations for the area? It sounds like the fields we'll be playing on are scattered around so location doesn't seem too important. Some families are looking at AirBnB, some hotel. I will likely book a hotel on points. My preference is 3 sleeping surfaces (so 2 beds and a pullout). I don't even know where to begin.

Not sure which hotel points you have, but it looks like there are 3 Hyatt’s in OKC. Not sure if the dates though but they were only showing $85-$120/night so maybe not the best use of points. The prices may be jacked though for the softball tournament. I know how that goes.
If those don’t work or are booked, I would check Staybridge (IHG), Homewood Suites (Hilton), Embassy Suites sometimes, and SpringHillSuites (Marriott)

When I gave my notice, I had nothing lined up, but I accepted an offer last week! I'm taking a few weeks off and will start towards the end of February when I get back from vacation. I'm super excited about my new job, and in hindsight I'm glad that my work situation got so bad that it prompted me to start looking for other opportunities. I was pretty comfortable where I was, but I truly think this next step is going to be better for me. I just wish that I haven't been quite so miserable for so long. 3 more days...3 more days...

Good for you! I’d call in sick these last 3 days...I mean, your sick and tired of being there, so it’s not a stretch.

I just called Chase Travel to transfer my cruise to them after booking the deposit with Royal CARIBBEAN. She said I would need to contact Royal and they send the form to Chase? That seems wrong to me?
Should I call Chase again and hope for someone else to answer?

Sooo should we put off travel for another year or so when we would be comfortable paying in full from savings? I mostly have URs but just starting to get nervous about cashing in on any points with how AA had been acting and of course Amex's rep.

Definitely not, you should still plan to travel as you were anyway. I don't think any of us have slowed down. However, things like the AA situation show it's worthwhile to have a backup plan in place.

What are your earning patterns like for URs? I don't get the impression that URs are unsafe, now or frankly at any point in the past, and I'm not certain it's worth worrying about it especially if you're earning from simple SUBs and ongoing spend.

If anything, adverse action makes me burn my points faster - can't take away what I don't have anymore! - but that was my attitude pre-AA and pre-Amex clawbacks anyway.

Did you get any use out of the points prior to the shutdown? I don't mean the flights you had to back up for. Eventually I will be able to get a couple of AA cards and will probably cash them out. Right now laying low until my personal card count drops off the radar.
So much use! Multiple domestic flights over the last few years and 1 international J to Seychelles that I will never forget as I got to do Q-Suite LAX-DOH, QR J DOH-SEZ + about 8 hours in the QR J lounge in DOH!

I was coming quite close to asking my bff if she wanted to go to africa with me and telling her I would cover J flights RT with my AA points- VERY glad this nonsense started before I even suggested this to her. I've lost a domestic flight and some hopes and dreams. Luckier than many people ended up.

Good for you! I’d call in sick these last 3 days...I mean, your sick and tired of being there, so it’s not a stretch.
Love it! I actually took a sick day today but that's because I had a small surgery yesterday afternoon and needed a recovery day. Earlier today I did mention to DH that maybe my leg was hurting too much to work tomorrow... My boss would KILL me.

Definitely not, you should still plan to travel as you were anyway. I don't think any of us have slowed down. However, things like the AA situation show it's worthwhile to have a backup plan in place.

What are your earning patterns like for URs? I don't get the impression that URs are unsafe, now or frankly at any point in the past, and I'm not certain it's worth worrying about it especially if you're earning from simple SUBs and ongoing spend.

If anything, adverse action makes me burn my points faster - can't take away what I don't have anymore! - but that was my attitude pre-AA and pre-Amex clawbacks anyway.

100% this!

I just called Chase Travel to transfer my cruise to them after booking the deposit with Royal CARIBBEAN. She said I would need to contact Royal and they send the form to Chase? That seems wrong to me?
Should I call Chase again and hope for someone else to answer?

It could be? I haven't done Royal but for NCL it's up to me to fill out the form with the new TA info and submit it to NCL, then NCL releases/transfers the reservation to the new TA (Chase). So it's not totally outside the norm. I contacted Chase to get the TA info for the form first since it asks for an agent name, the agency and a phone number. Then when NCL released it, my agent at Chase sent me an email and confirmed he got it. Some cruise lines you can do over the phone, others you gotta do the form thing.

From memory I think @Alexle2007 , @bernina and @Jen and Ashwin have done this with RCCL. (I think) Maybe they can help with specifics.

It could be? I haven't done Royal but for NCL it's up to me to fill out the form with the new TA info and submit it to NCL, then NCL releases/transfers the reservation to the new TA (Chase). So it's not totally outside the norm. I contacted Chase to get the TA info for the form first since it asks for an agent name, the agency and a phone number. Then when NCL released it, my agent at Chase sent me an email and confirmed he got it. Some cruise lines you can do over the phone, others you gotta do the form thing.

From memory I think @Alexle2007 , @bernina and @Jen and Ashwin have done this with RCCL. (I think) Maybe they can help with specifics.

I have always called Chase and requested the reservation to be transferred. They have 3-way called RC with me on the phone to get authorization and then RC has processed the transfer. It does take a few days for the transfer to be effective generally. You need to do this within 30 days from the original booking date or else RC will not allow it.

Trying to figure out where to go from here. Got SW Performance Biz in October. Met spend in January. Got SW Premier Biz in January. Have about $1000 more to meet spend. Both DH and I are 3/24. Do I go for the SW Personal card at 75,000 SUB. We are totally out of SW Points and will always use them...

Or DH's can get new SW cards in April. Do I have him get the Biz Cards too. But we only have 1 SW flight this year so maybe wait for him to get it and the end of the year to get CP for 2021-2022...

Or do I go for CIP - just worried it might be too soon after the 2 SW Biz cards.

AMEX does not like us although have not tried in a while. Just not sure what card to get next for either of us. Hate not having a MSR to meet...

Not sure which hotel points you have, but it looks like there are 3 Hyatt’s in OKC. Not sure if the dates though but they were only showing $85-$120/night so maybe not the best use of points. The prices may be jacked though for the softball tournament. I know how that goes.
If those don’t work or are booked, I would check Staybridge (IHG), Homewood Suites (Hilton), Embassy Suites sometimes, and SpringHillSuites (Marriott)
Coincides with Women's College World Series so not only will prices be jacked, availability will be tough the longer we wait. But, it will be quite an experience for our girls (hoping Aggies will be playing, we will make sure to catch a game or two).

I do love Springhill, that's what keeps me in the Bonvoy points. Most of them have a shower/sink room and a separate toilet/sink room which works out perfectly for my family. Sometimes even the closet is big enough to change in lol I'm just not sure if there's a certain area we should avoid for various reasons or an area we should concentrate in. I'm taking all suggestions, seeing what the team decides then making my choice. Right now I have a Springhill I'm looking at, SpringHill Suites Oklahoma City Moore, seems centrally located, but I know nothing of the area.

Some Tap to Pay promotions out there again. Just got an email for my Marriott card.

Tap to pay three times from Jan. 30 through Feb. 29, 2020, and receive 500 Bonus Points when each purchase is $1.75 or more.*
I got the same offer, but for my Amazon card.

Some Tap to Pay promotions out there again. Just got an email for my Marriott card.

Tap to pay three times from Jan. 30 through Feb. 29, 2020, and receive 500 Bonus Points when each purchase is $1.75 or more.*
Man, I never get these and I have like 3 contactless cards now at least. Did we determine that they have been targeted promos? I sometimes don't get the emails even for public promos so I hate to miss out.

I'm pretty sure I haven't actually used tap to pay yet since I keep forgetting the cards that have it :laughing: Actually had a cashier say it once but I was already sliding the chip in and went "doh, your right, this one has a contactless chip in it... next time I guess" Pretty sure I immediately forgot!

So much use! Multiple domestic flights over the last few years and 1 international J to Seychelles that I will never forget as I got to do Q-Suite LAX-DOH, QR J DOH-SEZ + about 8 hours in the QR J lounge in DOH!

I was coming quite close to asking my bff if she wanted to go to africa with me and telling her I would cover J flights RT with my AA points- VERY glad this nonsense started before I even suggested this to her. I've lost a domestic flight and some hopes and dreams. Luckier than many people ended up.

I'm happy to hear you got a lot of value before things folded.

Did you just apply today? If so, and if you already have a Chase account, log in and send them a secure message asking for the card to be expedited. I did that and had my SW card in two days. Or, you could call and ask them for the faster shipping.

I assume you're talking a Chase card. For me it's been 7 days, except for once where is was longer due to a manufacturing delay. If I'm approved on a Friday, card arrives next Friday usually. Some of that will depend on the postal service. The CSR is automatically expedited and should arrive in about 2 days. For the other cards if you need it sooner you can request to be expedited and should get it about 2 days after that. For partner cards (SW, Marriott, Hyatt, etc) you may not be able to get it expedited until after it goes through the partner verification which can take a couple days itself.

Thank you both. And yes, it is a Chase Southwest card. Sorry I forgot to mention that! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ll message them & hope it gets here in time. I applied today & my dental appointment is next Wednesday. Hopefully I’ll get it in time. My DH has the SW offer for 25% bonus points on his account, so I will at least get that if my card doesn’t come in time. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!