I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a Smishing attack. Did the number in the text match the number on the back of your card?

Amex doesn't give a phone number in the text. It's either a link tonamex Mobil or it tells you to call the number on the back of your card. I get them anytime I make a purchase over 50, online etc so I've got a few to look at.

Two things. Do you already get text alerts from amex? If you do, was it the same number, format etc? If not I'd say it's fishing esp if you called the number on the back of your card. All my amex texts come from 692639.
I have gotten previous "snapshot" messages from them (and thankfully I hadn't deleted them so I could see them) and yes, they looked similar in composition. And yes this came from 692639 also.

Amex doesn't give a phone number in the text. It's either a link tonamex Mobil or it tells you to call the number on the back of your card. I get them anytime I make a purchase over 50, online etc so I've got a few to look at.
So, weirdly, this text DID have a phone number. Stupidly, I called using the link in the message instead of looking up the number myself. I mean, the person I spoke to SOUNDED legit and actually semi voluntarily mentioned the last couple transactions on my card when I was telling him I just used one of them yesterday.

Well now I am worried and angry with myself for calling them using the link instead of looking up the number myself.

I have gotten previous "snapshot" messages from them (and thankfully I hadn't deleted them so I could see them) and yes, they looked similar in composition. And yes this came from 692639 also.

I'd call again. It seems odd they'd send it and have no record. I'd make sure all your info is correct too, both online and over the phone to make sure no one changed the address etc. It could be a glitch but I'd still check it all.

It's possible, as with spam phone calls, they've got a way to send texts that look like they come from the same number. Call the number on the back of your card, always the number I use even if I get a legit email. I trust nothing after having someone try and open a card in my name.

AF charged on my AMEX Delta Gold on the 28th. Called today and had it downgraded to a Blue. I was told that the AF would be pro-rated from my last anniversary date. Does that seem right to all of you? My understanding was that you had 30 days from when they charged the AF to make the change and get it all back.

I'd call again. It seems odd they'd send it and have no record. I'd make sure all your info is correct too, both online and over the phone to make sure no one changed the address etc. It could be a glitch but I'd still check it all.

It's possible, as with spam phone calls, they've got a way to send texts that look like they come from the same number. Call the number on the back of your card, always the number I use even if I get a legit email. I trust nothing after having someone try and open a card in my name.
On the phone again now, using the number on the back of the Amex card.

They still don't show anything but they're connecting me with their fraud department.

Sounds good!
I will use the Disney GCs to pay for DVC dues and since my only use so far for URs has been cashing out at 1cpp this is a 25% bonus!

ETA: So how much should I buy if I could use 30 gallons at say $2 per gallon?
$500 GC with 4x is 2,000 pts, worth $2 per gallon discount, right?

In my state (Ohio), 1000 fuel points is the most I can use per fill up with 35 gallons being the maximum. So for me, 2000 fuel points would be 2 fills at $1 off per gallon each one. I’ve been in some states where you can do $2 off per gallon in one fill though. I think TN is one.

Weird thing just happened. I got a text message on my phone from Amex (in the thread about my Amex Hilton, which I actually don't use except to pay the bug man every other month). It said "We've received a request to replace your card. If you didn't make this request call us at....".

I definitely didn't request a replacement and both that Hilton card and my BBP are in my wallet (I just looked). When I called them they said they saw no requests to replace anything.

So... it's just weird.

Anyone else experienced that, and if so, what was the outcome?

Yes, it's probably phishing and the number they told you to call is probably not amex or if it is it's somehow spoofed. Always call back from a number on the website.

So long as you didn't reply directly to the text message, you should be fine. You can always send a copy directly to the fraud department.

edit: read further along - I'd probably now ask for a new card with a new number. The fraud department may suggest it.

Last edited:
Hi, for those with SW MDD knowledge, I posted a long post on the Advanced Strategies thread. Would appreciate if anyone has insights, DPs, thoughts. TIA!

They put it on my old Optima card = MR's. Why would I use that card to pay for a Marriott property when I have 3 Amex Marriott cards that earn Marriott rewards? And yes, I know it's $50 or 25% rebate but I will only spend the cash on my Marriott branded cards as I truly don't have a need for $50 off room rate but would use it in conjunction with a stay for dinners, etc. Over a 3 night stay I could easily do $200 on extra charges when family is there.

Hopefully it will get added to one of the other cards. I'll be watching.

There was a post around on how to try to force an offer on the card you want. I believe Doc posted it?

Thanks all.

On their advice I have changed my password. I'm going to hold off on new cards for now, partly because I keep a close (daily) eye on my transactions anyway so I'd know right away if something was up as far as that goes and partly because of some autopays I have set up. I did update my preferences to pretty much get alerts for EVERYTHING which will mean an annoying amount of text messages but I'll live.

What is weird to me is that if I google either of the phone numbers on the backs of my cards, all I get is a long list of "find out who calls you!" sites.

If I google the phone number they listed in the text (which is what I called the first time), one of the results actually does come back to Amex.

*sigh*

Thanks for all your advice and I will NOT make that mistake again!!!! (I knew better the first time but I was swayed by the fact that it came from the same "number" as prior Amex texts. Me, who works for a police department and knows about phishing and really knows better!!!!!)

Feeling pretty ashamed and dumb right now.

Thank you, and all who responded either with likes, sad faces or comments. Yesterday I was completely drained. Last she was heard from was Sunday, and she was found in her hot tub on Tuesday afternoon. I've known her since she was 19 years old and she was a few years younger than me. She was so giving and so sweet. My son spoke to her last week to share his engagement with her. And she was so excited, calling back to get all the details.

My mind has gone everywhere on this as she was a healthy person, even to running some Pike's Peak thing - I don't keep track of athletic stuff, but she did it. I can't speculate right now, but I want to know what actually happened.

This was a lady who made trips to developing countries to do volunteer medical work - being vague so as not to identify, and was at the top of her profession and was so well respected in her field. She contributed to humanity, and many will feel her loss. Thanks for letting me share.

I am really sorry for your loss. I hope you find some clarity and peace soon.

There was a post around on how to try to force an offer on the card you want. I believe Doc posted it?

I'll check it out. I did look on the offer site but it wasn't there. Thanks for an idea. Sometimes things do come through later on.

Thanks all.

On their advice I have changed my password. I'm going to hold off on new cards for now, partly because I keep a close (daily) eye on my transactions anyway so I'd know right away if something was up as far as that goes and partly because of some autopays I have set up. I did update my preferences to pretty much get alerts for EVERYTHING which will mean an annoying amount of text messages but I'll live.

What is weird to me is that if I google either of the phone numbers on the backs of my cards, all I get is a long list of "find out who calls you!" sites.

If I google the phone number they listed in the text (which is what I called the first time), one of the results actually does come back to Amex.

*sigh*

Thanks for all your advice and I will NOT make that mistake again!!!! (I knew better the first time but I was swayed by the fact that it came from the same "number" as prior Amex texts. Me, who works for a police department and knows about phishing and really knows better!!!!!)

Feeling pretty ashamed and dumb right now.

Yeah. My favorite thing used to be to google strange numbers. 'Sometimes' I get results such as for this number which comes up quickly as a 'robocaller warning' with a location, etc.

Then I have another number that is calling that up to today, the only results were for the paid services. Today, 800notes.com is reporting it as a nuisance number so it's blocked.

Usually all weird numbers are blocked after they leave no message a couple of times. But, I'm expecting a call from a delivery service and don't know what number it will come from, so I let these calls go to voicemail. I answer no calls that aren't ID'ed on my phone. I may have to change my message to indicate this. Or not.

Finally got my refund on my deposits for my Glacier trip. Xanterra charges a refundable deposit on the first night's stay. I made these reservations a year ago and had to go back and try to find which card I made the initial charges on. Turned out to be a CIP I had just closed. So I call and they hadn't refunded anything yet and I asked to use another card since the card I used in 2019 was closed. Wait and wait for it to show up and had to call. They still tried to refund to the closed card. Uggh. And they said since it left their system, nothing to do about it and oh yeah they see the comment from when I called to use a different card!! I SMed Chase and they were able to pay me the refund, all electronically. Note to self to track those deposits better since it took me forever searching statements to find the card I used.

Yeah. My favorite thing used to be to google strange numbers. 'Sometimes' I get results such as for this number which comes up quickly as a 'robocaller warning' with a location, etc.

Then I have another number that is calling that up to today, the only results were for the paid services. Today, 800notes.com is reporting it as a nuisance number so it's blocked.

Usually all weird numbers are blocked after they leave no message a couple of times. But, I'm expecting a call from a delivery service and don't know what number it will come from, so I let these calls go to voicemail. I answer no calls that aren't ID'ed on my phone. I may have to change my message to indicate this. Or not.

I block unknown numbers too. I once blocked my BFF because she kept calling from a number I didn't know about (and never left a message). 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter