I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
$2962 for a verandah
That is approx what I have paid in VGT rooms before (which are the last minute restricted fares in verandahs). Only, we have 2 rooms and 6 people, so the total is more like $8500...but $1500 (a), $1500(a), $1000(k)...times 2 rooms.

I'll need to try talking to another rep then, I talked to two later last night and I couldn't believe they both told me the same thing about needing 5 nights worth of points.

Is it also true that I can't book 3 nights of reward nights, pay for the 4th at the same location and get the 5th free? Is the 4 night/5 night free offer only with reward points?

I think the reps just don't know what they are talking about. Get the points you need for 4 nights and log on to book your 5. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

However, no you cannot combine cash and points and get 5th night free...that part is accurate.

So I’m guessing since the cruise is nov 2 it would be paid in full and non-refundable.

I’d rather book it myself to be honest. Can you only get the OBC through a TA?

If we use a cc, will it track as travel?

Are you a Costco member? They do roughly 8% back after sailing. Dreams unlimited does a flat amount as well. I always use an agent for free money.

Yes a CC will track as travel. I don't remember what date you said, but I am guessing you are inside the window where you'd at least lose your deposit if you cancelled. Im not familiar with FL Res rates though.

All you BC folks. Should I request any special location for my stay in early November? We are bringing both kids, 6 and 4.

That's tougher to do now.with.the seasonal pricing and expiration dates. If you have set datez it works or you can invest in APs since the vouchers have a long shelf life.
Sorry, when I said if you know you're going I meant with specific dates in mind. If you know the dates and are set on buying direct I don't see any benefit to waiting.

Can I just rant for a second? :mic:

I was at Costco yesterday restocking our pantry and fridge after coming back from vacation, where I passed by the Citi Costco credit card booth offering up a cooler bag for signing up, and a young techie wearing his company swag t-shirt (some machine learning startup) actually signing up with a big grin on his face! I can only hope that he’s well past 5/24 and really needed that cooler bag to store some brews for a nice picnic at a park somewhere. Because otherwise... :sad2:
I will admit I'm seriously considering the Citi Costco card for the 4% back on gas... The 2% back on Costco purchases isn't bad either. I haven't done it yet though, thanks to this thread I went for the CIP instead. I haven't fully counted it out though, it would be the best percentage back on gas out of all of my cards (except when gas stations are the 5% category) so it's still under consideration lol. :duck:

That is approx what I have paid in VGT rooms before (which are the last minute restricted fares in verandahs). Only, we have 2 rooms and 6 people, so the total is more like $8500...but $1500 (a), $1500(a), $1000(k)...times 2 rooms.
I’m seriously so excited. It’s a trip for my birthday! Dh and I are on the way to the airport to pick up my parents but we plan to look at cruise stuff when we get there while we’re waiting

We skied at Steamboat for a number of years, but haven't for the last two seasons because DD aged out of the free ticket, and the local ski pass jumped in price astronomically. We used to get a pass for $1000 for all 3 of us, now that pass for 3 would cost $2900. :crazy2: Steamboat is my favorite (relatively easy to get to) ski area. Just a quick question - are they beginners? Will they be taking lessons? The advantage that the lessons provide (in addition to instruction) are jumping the lift lines so that they are not waiting in line 45 minutes just to ride the lift FWIW.

I'm not surprised that Sheraton is sold out. It has the best location for skiing Steamboat.

The Ikon base ski pass allows 5 days at Steamboat, so depending on how long they're staying at Steamboat, it might be just right for spring break. $749 for adult ticket, $559 young adult 13-22, $359 child 5-12. https://www.ikonpass.com/en/shop-passes/ikon-base-pass-2019-2020 That's a little bit less than the $1500 you're looking at.

We don't rent since we have our own equipment, but Christy Sports at the base of the mountain would be the most convenient. Plus IIRC they can store your skis overnight (for a fee) so that you don't have to lug them back and forth from the hotel (skis/snowboards are heavy and awkward especially when you're walking in ski boots). It takes a long time to get fitted for boots and skis, so if I were renting I would look at getting them the afternoon before I plan to ski so that the morning isn't eaten up waiting to get equipment (I would expect that alone to take 2 hours for 2 people during spring break). Another idea would be to rent equipment on the way to Steamboat (Golden, Idaho Springs) where it might be less expensive, but they would need a car big enough to hold the skis.

Know that it is a 4+ hour drive from Denver to Steamboat, and probably longer in the winter - March is our snowiest month* - and (I assume your DH would be driving to the ski area?) can be treacherous. I-70 has AWFUL traffic during ski season, especially on weekends, and I've driven on Highway 9 going 10 mph and wanting to cry since I couldn't see the road in front of me due to a snowstorm. I've had it take 8 hours in the summer coming back from Steamboat (heavy traffic), so my advice would be to plan for long transit times, and have emergency supplies in the vehicle. :( And sometimes, the drive has been perfectly fine. Hopefully it is not a horrible drive for them, but it has the potential to be.

I may sound like Debbie Downer, but I've lived here long enough to have experienced the pitfalls of Colorado ski resort vacations. Don't get me wrong, they can be a lot of fun, but they take a lot of prep. Hawaii is much easier.

As for CCs, since he's already getting CIPs, & without being targeted for higher offers, the non-Chase cards with $500+ SUBs that I'd suggest are BoA Premium Rewards and Cap1 Venture. Of those, I'd go with the BoAPR due to ease of redemption and airline agnostic travel credits. Get a BoA bank bonus too (and first so that you have a "relationship" with BoA).

*As a side note: Steamboat got 2 feet of snow on June 21 this year, the first day of summer. That was unusual.

Wow, thank you! That is a lot to digest. They aren't beginners, but he may put them in lessons just to get some time to himself. ha!
The $1500 incl lift tickets and equipment rental for them all for 5 days. I think that comes out cheaper than the ikon link, which looks to be about $1400 for lift.
They may do SW to DEN or AA to HDN. That just depends on what pricing SW offers next month when it opens. The are arriving on a Monday and departing on a Saturday, unless he adds on another night. I booked 5 since 5th night is free (Hilton). I guess if the Sunday flights are reasonable he can add that 6th night.

I am going to check out the 2 cc you mentioned. Thank you!

I'd be curious what you find. I've heard Consumer Reports evaluated at some point in the past and came up with 13 years to break even (buying direct, not including any financing). They compared to the cost of renting a comparable Deluxe Disney Resort, like you, I believe.

I calculated it for the properties we bought direct from DVC, including financing and found break-evens in the 12-15 year range. However I calculated a different way. Mine was based on how much I could have Rented all of my points out for. Nice that they both came out to around 15 years.

15 years is what people who do the math see that drives them away. I see 35 years of Profit. And if it just isn't valuable to me any longer, I can sell it and still get more than I paid. The best argument against is, you can stay at a moderate, or value, or even off-site for less. That and the up-front cost, but that $7,400 investment in Boardwalk in 1999 looks pretty good 20 years later.
I am only 2-3 years in on my calculations, but so far I am ahead of my "projection at purchase" estimate. I am not doing anything fancy and am not accounting for what I could have earned on the money had I not spent it, so I know there are limitations. I am simply pricing out my stay each time and applying any discounts available. I am excited to see the point where we are at break even. My original estimates were 12 years for CCV direct and 7 years for Poly resale.

Are you a Costco member? They do roughly 8% back after sailing. Dreams unlimited does a flat amount as well. I always use an agent for free money.

Yes a CC will track as travel. I don't remember what date you said, but I am guessing you are inside the window where you'd at least lose your deposit if you cancelled. Im not familiar with FL Res rates though.
No we aren’t Costco members. I emailed my magical friend and she said they would give $75. Can I do better than that?

We’re just gonna pay it all with gcs. We got them at target for the 5%. You’re right about being past the point where we can cancel. We are positive we are going. I just need to add the gcs to my account when we get home later and pay off the cruise!

I'm dreading when the Apple Card becomes the new "IT" status card and all the young techies, finance, and fintech guys start dropping the new titanium clanginess on bar tops and dining tables all around the city. THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S DESIGNED FOR, BRO!

2% cash back when using Apple Pay – you know, that digital wallet with the cool virtual cards no one else sees or cares about.
1% cash back when using the physical Apple Card – but hey, you can flash the new shininess so everyone knows how cool you are!

yeah... he said its his new daily driver.
i facepalmed so hard...

Just made a target run to get gcs for our cruise. We thought they had higher than $50 but they didn’t so we ended getting them online so we could get the $500 ones. It limited me to 3 but I just did a second order to get the other 3.
I think I'm going to have to go the Target route too. I was trying to find some Disney GCs at a gas station to take advantage of the Freedom 5% and convert to URs but I'm not having any luck.

Looking for advice on traveling to Hawaii. I have family in Sacramento area, so we would like to fly there first for a few days and then go to Maui for a week. Hubby has never flown that far and this is my idea to break up the trip plus visit family too. The airport we usually fly out of is Albany, NY. I searched a bit just to get ideas and saw Hawaiian airline pop up and when I checked flights it was about $1100 round trip for two from Sacramento, but there was also a pop up saying I could apply for a Hawaiian airline credit and and get 60,000 miles and 50% off a companion ticket. I was going to try and book with SW because I already have CP with them. We also have some URs 80,000 and both of us have 70,000 each from AA cards. Any suggestions?
Curious as to why, on the bolded? Barclays? Yeah I know, ick. I am in the same dilemma, but I want to go lie flat, and Hawaiian seems to be the same points, every single day for the flight I need, so I can predict, and know what I would need to book it. But if I don't book them, then yes, I know I would be stuck with those miles :-(

AA is allllllllllllll over the place, so I have no idea if I have enough points or not, and that makes me nervous. I would be looking at last day or so of August next year, so I figure that would be booking in the near future, and want to have things lined up by then.

So as for my thoughts on the Barclays Hawaiian Airlines card --

- The Hawaiian Airlines credit card is currently offering 60,000 HawaiianMiles after a $2,000 MSR within the first 90 days of account opening, with a first year ($99) AF waived. This offer expires 9/4/19.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-60000-hawaiian-airlines-bonus-annual-fee-waived-first-year/
- The above is just about a best offer, but you may be able to do better by applying in-flight when the flight attendants come around with applications for this card. On our flight back in January, the in-flight offer was 60,000 HawaiianMiles after one purchase within the first 90 days of account opening. However, the AF was not waived. DoC covered this offer here:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/6000...e-credit-card-bonus-in-flight-paper-app-only/
- But of course, you'll necessarily have had to pay for your flights to/from Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines in order to access the in-flight offer, which doesn't do you much good unless you have a plan to return to Hawaii on miles.

- Barclays recently offered a 70,000 HawaiianMiles SUB on the business version of the Hawaiian credit card, but you know how YMMV Barclays is about their biz cards approvals after the fact.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-70000-mile-hawaiian-business-offer/
- I think the standard offer is now around 50k HawaiianMiles. It's crept up over the years because I remember when the standard offer was 35k HawaiianMiles and you had to do a dummy booking to get the 50k HawaiianMiles offer.

- The 50% off companion ticket discount or $100 off companion ticket discount every anniversary doesn't work with HawaiianMiles redemptions. ("Offer may not be combined with, applied to, or applied towards HawaiianMiles flight awards redeemed using HawaiianMiles.") So if you're just flying as a couple, P1 can't redeem miles for an award flight and then apply the 50% off or $100 off discount toward their companion's cash fare. ("Both passengers (primary cardmember and companion) must be booked for travel on the same flight record, fare and class of service, and must travel on all flight segments together.") I think you may even need to purchase the tickets using the Hawaiian Airlines credit card.

- If you pay for your ticket (or even award fees) with your Hawaiian credit card, you get a free checked bag.

- Just to be clear, the companion discounts are good on R/T coach between Hawaii-Mainland USA.

- Some pros in favor of the Hawaiian credit card are the primary cardholder can receive transfers of HawaiianMiles from anybody for free. This makes it very easy to pool HawaiianMiles into the primary cardholder's account. As a Hawaiian credit cardholder, you get access to Hawaiian's discounted awards (subject to availability).

So, what are HawaiianMiles worth?

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2218/~/hawaiianmiles-award-chart
Hawaiian recently moved towards variable pricing. So although they still have an award chart, the award pricing will fall in a range and I think Hawaiian even increased the upper ranges of their award prices.

https://onemileatatime.com/hawaiian-airlines-award-chart-changes/
Again, having the Hawaiian credit card and booking from the primary cardholder's HawaiianMiles account will give you access to the "Discounted Award Amount." You could fly from the West Coast (e.g., Sacramento SMF) to Hawaii (e.g., Maui OGG) for as little as 35,000 HawaiianMiles R/T. I'm seeing a lot of 35k R/T availability for SMF-OGG departing late-February through about 3/5/20, and returning the following week on weekdays. Other dates are running about 43,750 R/T.

However, if the primary cardholder books with miles, you won't be able to use the companion discount; unless you have more than 2 passengers and can use the miles on passenger 3 and/or 4, and pay cash for you and your companion.

I don't know how HawaiianMiles compares with SW Rapid Rewards+Companion Pass, so it's worth comparing before opening a new (Hawaiian) card that'll count against 5/24.

Another option we've discussed is Hawaiian is a partner of Virgin Atlantic (VS). You can transfer Amex Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards points to VS; and Amex occasionally runs transfer bonuses to VS that'll get you more value. (FWIW, Amex MR also transfers to Hawaiian and occasionally runs transfer bonuses, but it's not a particularly good value.) VS's partner award chart with Hawaiian has R/T economy going for 40,000 miles and first/business going for 80,000 miles.

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en/flying-club/partners/airlines/hawaiian-airlines.html
Lastly, cash. I did some searches on Hawaiian for R/T fares for SMF-OGG in March, and they're all coming up around $550+. That still seems high to me. I would definitely search Southwest now that they've entered the market. $300-400 R/T is a good price, if you can find it. Like I said earlier, spring break schedules will affect pricing. Local public schools are out March 14-22, 2020, and while not too many local families fly to the mainland for spring break, those that do will go during this time. Spring break will also see some local kids flying home or mainlanders with their kids out of school going for vacation, particularly in late March and early April.

Cash fares do dip though, for example:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Hawaii-fares-fall-13646288.php
Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sorry, when I said if you know you're going I meant with specific dates in mind. If you know the dates and are set on buying direct I don't see any benefit to waiting.

I will admit I'm seriously considering the Citi Costco card for the 4% back on gas... The 2% back on Costco purchases isn't bad either. I haven't done it yet though, thanks to this thread I went for the CIP instead. I haven't fully counted it out though, it would be the best percentage back on gas out of all of my cards (except when gas stations are the 5% category) so it's still under consideration lol. :duck:
We have the CITI Costco card. We got the AMEX Costco back when that was a thing and before we knew anything about "churning".

It doesn't get much use these days. Gas when Freedom isn't 5%, and Costco when Freedom isn't 5%. That's about it.

I'd rather have the UR points @ 2% with our CSP than the 3% cashback on restaurants and I use the CIP for travel.

Usually I can get a return better than 1:1 on UR points so I make the % back. But the biggest drawback of the CITI Costco card is that you only get a check once a year. It's just not very flexible as to when you want to cash out.

If you're not trying to stay under 5/25 for Chase applications then it can be an okay pickup, but you're going to have to buy a lot of gas to beat out the sign up bonuses on a lot of other cards.

I have finally gathered enough Disney GC's for our trip in Nov. Do park tickets ever go on sale directly from Disney or should I just buy them now?

Well, errrr, now that you mention it, they just announced a "sale." You only get the savings if you enter at noon or later though. Otherwise, you need a non-sale ticket. Creative marketing at its finest.

Targeted Schwab Plat Offer:
A user on r/churning received a targeted email from Schwab today offering 100k MR to open the Schwab Platinum card with a $5k MSR. They then found a link to the offer that seems to be publicly available. This is for people who are already a Schwab Client.

You can Access the offer here:
I logged into my wife's Schwab account and saw this message: We're Sorry. The promotion is either no longer available or you are not eligible for this offer.

So YMMV but if you're a current Schwab customer and eligible for this offer, it's a pretty sweet deal!
I get the 100MR offer. Was excited to get under 5/24 in oct but I think I may go for this since that card was on my radar for next year. Hmm, what to do, what to do...?

I can get this even though I have a vanilla plat open??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter