I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried calling SW out for this on Twitter? Our flight from BOI to OAK was 2.5 hours late leaving BOI yesterday morning due to a possible bird strike that happened the night before on the inbound flight. They boarded the A group on time (which included DS and me because we are both taking advantage of an offer for limited-time A-List status) and then stopped the boarding process (leaving DH and DD at the gate). They boarded everyone else after an hour or so but then we sat for another hour plus while the paperwork cleared to let us take off. DS and I had been on the plane for 3+ hours by the time we took off. I tweeted and tagged Southwest wondering why the engine inspection wasn’t done the previous evening instead of waiting until our flight was boarding. The flight attendants were actually fantastic handling the delay, and we were told that we would all receive vouchers. But then they said that they had only had time to print out vouchers for those with connecting flights before we took off. Those vouchers were attached to the updated boarding passes they distributed to the passengers with connections. They said the rest of us would receive our vouchers as we deplaned in OAK. No surprise that those vouchers never materialized. So I tweeted SW again about our vouchers. They suggested I send them a DM with our confirmation numbers. I did that, and we all had emails with $100 vouchers within a couple of hours. Totally worth a shot in your case since, at least in my opinion, what happened to you was way worse.

I am not a twitter person so it’s possible I did it wrong but I did tweet something tagging them and heard nothing. I also tagged them on Facebook without any reply. I might have my settings locked down as I never use them. As I said the guest services number just told me to be thankful they gave me notice. Tho she was the only one to successfully book us on a new flight tomorrow by holding the tickets then working out the exchange etc... All the standard reps would book me then the second open seat would be gone. Happened three times!

Main Question... What business card should I get next?

Cards opened in the last 24 months
02/19 BOA Alaska Airlines Personal (I meant to open a business one but opened a personal one instead)
03/19 AMEX Platinum
07/17 CHASE Sapphire Preferred (upgraded to Reserve last year)
08/18 AMEX Gold
10/17 CHASE Marriott Business (closed this month)

Other cards that I have:
AMEX SPG (thinking about cancelling this)
AMEX Delta Platinum Business
CHASE Freedom Card
Discover Card (I don't use much)

Currently I only have one business card and I want to open another one. Which one should I get. I was considering the CHASE Ink Business Preferred or the American Airlines Business card.

I put everything on my cards so typically I spend about 3K a month. We are traveling a lot in the next few months so it won't be hard to get the minimum spend. I pay everything off each month.

We fly out of DTW. Preferred airline is Delta since it's a hub.

Yes, Southwest services DTW

We've been using Marriott for our hotel but with the recent changes I'm open to other hotels. I have gold status at Hilton now because of my AMEX plat card.

Goal would be to get plane tickets and hotel stays. We are also DVC members, I don't know if that factors into things. We are a family of 3.

Thanks in advance
So I'm going to reorder your cards because they aren't in date order...

03/19 AMEX Platinum
02/19 BOA Alaska Airlines Personal
08/18 AMEX Gold
10/17 CHASE Marriott Business
07/17 CHASE Sapphire Preferred

You are 4/24 currently. This is IMPORTANT to pay attention to because if you get one more personal card you are locked out of Chase. You may regret that BoA personal card but what's past is past at this point. Since you have a CSR now, I assume you understand the value of URs. I think a Chase Ink Preferred would be a great next step. Some of the folks have links on DISchurners for that card with the 80,000 pt offer so please consider supporting a DISer. In July you have a card falling off your 5/24 count so that's good.

After that, I'd continue to focus on additional business cards. Are you aware that some of the AMEX Delta Business cards are at an increased offer level right now? It's possible you should go for a Delta Biz now and get CIP later...

You say the word "we" a lot. Do you have a spouse who will also sign up for cards (i.e. your player 2)

If SW services your airport well, you might consider them and their cards. Only you can decide if they work as an airline for your family though.

@SouthFayetteFan - Wow. That's crazy. I admire your persistence and I hope Hilton does something about it. Sounds like you got a good AMEX rep this time. With the 1099 issued I wouldn't let this one go either.
I'm beyond the value at this point...I've sunk 8+ hours of phone calls into this...It's about the principle now. And also about the letter I'm going to write both of them when I'm done, fishing for more points to make up for my time...

Of course she's online looking for info, and writing to the people she will be working with. She won't go on the slack since most countries haven't settled who they pick yet and it's all about being worried about getting accepted. Also her country is a tiny part of the program, so she hasn't found anyone on reddit who is also going there.

But in the meantime I'm trying to figure out the flights since that's something I can help with. So that's why I was asking about flights and if we need a RT here. She is young and frugal, and doesn't have many points on her accounts, so we are trying to help her get the best flight possible.

I'm not sure about what's available on reddit, but thegradcafe has active message boards about several fellowships. You might be able to find people from previous years' threads (they start a new one each year) who had progressed to asking questions about flights.

My guess is that if this is a year-long program and she needs a resident visa, a return flight is not going to be required, but that's really a guess.

Quoting myself...So another 1 HOUR 41 MINUTE phone call as Mrs. @SouthFayetteFan just occurred...

2 weeks have passed with no follow up from Hilton. So I called and the had to discuss the whole issue all over again and Hilton seemed to feel that this was back on AMEX again...
  • 15 Minute on hold and then I'm told they don't see anything...and of course she acts like I'm crazy asking for 30,000 and 22,090 - how do I know it's those amounts...well because I'm SMART and I KNOW MORE THAN YOU!!! She ultimately says you need to go back to AMEX
  • So after I (my wife that is) calmed down I said, well let's get AMEX on the phone and to my surprise the Hilton rep agreed
  • The first AMEX rep was no help - and when I asked for them to confirm who I spoke to the last time OR get a supervisor they put us on a 5 minute hold and came back and said they still don't see the issue
  • I was LIVID and demanded a supervisor
  • The Supervisor was GREAT...he quickly was able to confirm the whole 30,000 and 22,090 (HA! I'm not crazy...take that!!)
  • There was a series of holds as he worked this and the Hilton rep remains on the line this whole time...
  • Finally he comes back and says this issue is NOT on AMEX. The points were accepted by Hilton on 1/22/18 (yes I'm fighting for 52,090 Hilton points I was owed 14 months ago)...
  • He says either you continue to fight this with Hilton OR we can issue you 25,000 pts and call it a day. Well I'm not taking HALF of what I'm owed...
  • So now Hilton is going to work on their end and I'm supposed to get a call or email on Monday about it...
THIS. IS. CRAZY!! I just wish the 1099 wouldn't have happened because then I wouldn't care. BUT, If I'm going to have to pay $150 or more in taxes I want my freakin' points!

End Rant...Again...until 2 more weeks pass...
So infuriating! I am sorry they don't just issue the points. If Amex says you are entitled to them and sent the 1099, WHY NOT issue the whole amount owed and tell Hilton to forget about it? OR if Amex is telling Hilton that you (your wife) is owed points, JUST ISSUE THE POINTS! Having worked in customer service, I know literally anything is possible. You may need to get a supervisor or something, but at the end of the day, it can be done. SMH.

How do companies not realize this is not good for the customer? You're a special customer in that you will not break ties since you're accumulating points, but for the average person jumping through these hoops would be absolutely insane. I guess when the alternative is getting "Bonvoyed," you put up with it. I guess you're getting... "Honored?" Doesn't quite sound right in this instance. lol

Quoting myself...So another 1 HOUR 41 MINUTE phone call as Mrs. @SouthFayetteFan just occurred...

2 weeks have passed with no follow up from Hilton. So I called and the had to discuss the whole issue all over again and Hilton seemed to feel that this was back on AMEX again...
  • 15 Minute on hold and then I'm told they don't see anything...and of course she acts like I'm crazy asking for 30,000 and 22,090 - how do I know it's those amounts...well because I'm SMART and I KNOW MORE THAN YOU!!! She ultimately says you need to go back to AMEX
  • So after I (my wife that is) calmed down I said, well let's get AMEX on the phone and to my surprise the Hilton rep agreed
  • The first AMEX rep was no help - and when I asked for them to confirm who I spoke to the last time OR get a supervisor they put us on a 5 minute hold and came back and said they still don't see the issue
  • I was LIVID and demanded a supervisor
  • The Supervisor was GREAT...he quickly was able to confirm the whole 30,000 and 22,090 (HA! I'm not crazy...take that!!)
  • There was a series of holds as he worked this and the Hilton rep remains on the line this whole time...
  • Finally he comes back and says this issue is NOT on AMEX. The points were accepted by Hilton on 1/22/18 (yes I'm fighting for 52,090 Hilton points I was owed 14 months ago)...
  • He says either you continue to fight this with Hilton OR we can issue you 25,000 pts and call it a day. Well I'm not taking HALF of what I'm owed...
  • So now Hilton is going to work on their end and I'm supposed to get a call or email on Monday about it...
THIS. IS. CRAZY!! I just wish the 1099 wouldn't have happened because then I wouldn't care. BUT, If I'm going to have to pay $150 or more in taxes I want my freakin' points!

End Rant...Again...until 2 more weeks pass...
I'm so sorry for all you have had to go through for these points but oh my goodness, I just want to be a fly on the wall to hear the convo. Trying to picture you arguing in your high voice for almost 2 hours. Is your wife just dying laughing listening to you??!!

So infuriating! I am sorry they don't just issue the points. If Amex says you are entitled to them and sent the 1099, WHY NOT issue the whole amount owed and tell Hilton to forget about it? OR if Amex is telling Hilton that you (your wife) is owed points, JUST ISSUE THE POINTS! Having worked in customer service, I know literally anything is possible. You may need to get a supervisor or something, but at the end of the day, it can be done. SMH.

How do companies not realize this is not good for the customer? You're a special customer in that you will not break ties since you're accumulating points, but for the average person jumping through these hoops would be absolutely insane. I guess when the alternative is getting "Bonvoyed," you put up with it. I guess you're getting... "Honored?" Doesn't quite sound right in this instance. lol
Thank you for the support, it just feels good to vent. The part that actually ticks me off the most is that I transferred 20k MRs to Hilton last year to make a redemption in the fall. Had these points posted, I wouldn't have had to do that. I was DONE with Hilton. I had finally used all my crappy low value points. (Unfortunately one of my support links was still tied to Hilton vs. my BCP so I got 20k more points and now these 52k should eventually post so I guess I'm back in the Hilton game)....

Despite Marriott's shortcomings, they are still my go to - I love Marriott and as a non SPG guy, the merger benefited me a ton, haha. Anyways now I'm just rambling nonsensically because I'm loopy after listening to 100 minutes of AMEX and Hilton hold music...

I'm so sorry for all you have had to go through for these points but oh my goodness, I just want to be a fly on the wall to hear the convo. Trying to picture you arguing in your high voice for almost 2 hours. Is your wife just dying laughing listening to you??!!
I strategically chose tonight to do this because her and the girls went to the school for a bingo event. I stayed home to watch basketball and instead enjoyed the company of Tracy and Roy...(wait that sounds bad)...on the phone! (wait that could be just as bad...) I didn't enjoy any company. I talked to customer service agents...it was Jake from State farm!!!

Thank you, @SouthFayetteFan . I already have a Delta Biz card. Can I get another one? Why is the BOA card bad? I got it because we are going to Alaska next year and the companion ticket will be helpful. If I open a CHASE INK, I will use link. Is there a particular order of using them? There's no player #2, doesn't like the idea of churning.
You have a Delta Platinum...but not the Delta Gold Business... BUT now that I think about it you should be able to self-refer yourself to the Delta Gold Biz!! That's a great move for you - if you go on the AMEX website, from your Delta Plat you can generate a referral link. Then you go to "other cards" at the bottom and find the Delta Gold. If that is for the 70k offer it would be an awesome move. (If it's not for the 70k offer, don't go for it, we might be able to help you figure it out)...

Main Question... What business card should I get next?

Cards opened in the last 24 months
02/19 BOA Alaska Airlines Personal (I meant to open a business one but opened a personal one instead)
03/19 AMEX Platinum
07/17 CHASE Sapphire Preferred (upgraded to Reserve last year)
08/18 AMEX Gold
10/17 CHASE Marriott Business (closed this month)

Other cards that I have:
AMEX SPG (thinking about cancelling this)
AMEX Delta Platinum Business
CHASE Freedom Card
Discover Card (I don't use much)

Currently I only have one business card and I want to open another one. Which one should I get. I was considering the CHASE Ink Business Preferred or the American Airlines Business card.

I put everything on my cards so typically I spend about 3K a month. We are traveling a lot in the next few months so it won't be hard to get the minimum spend. I pay everything off each month.

We fly out of DTW. Preferred airline is Delta since it's a hub.

Yes, Southwest services DTW

We've been using Marriott for our hotel but with the recent changes I'm open to other hotels. I have gold status at Hilton now because of my AMEX plat card.

Goal would be to get plane tickets and hotel stays. We are also DVC members, I don't know if that factors into things. We are a family of 3.

Thanks in advance

Hi..fellow DVC member here....it looks like your 4/24..so the Chase Ink Business CIP is the way to go...you earn the 80k UR sign up bonus after spending $5k in the first 3 months....if you have a player 2 you could then refer them for a CIP..you get 20k URs as a referral bonus and P2 earns another 80k URs...you would earn 190 URs that could be used for hotels, flights or cashed out
I’d start with the CIP and go through all the Chase business cards

I can't remember if I've had the Delta Gold Business in the past. Is it a one lifetime bonus? If so, how do I find out?

Thank you, @palhockeymomof2
It probably is a once per lifetime bonus - when you apply though AMEX should give you a warning popup if you've had the card in the past and are not eligible for the bonus. So there really shouldn't be a risk in trying.

So Chase sent me a message back and claims that I do not have the SUB for another 20k Hyatt points with another 3k spend... so now I’m torn. I have no proof that’s what I signed up for since it didn’t show you the SUB on the support link page. I don’t know if Chase isn’t just wrong or what... but do I really want to spend another $2500 to not get anything else?? I’m torn on what to do.

I could Venmo, but then it’s like I’m spending $50+ to move around my own money...

@ep1229 - if you can get the self referral to work, here's the offer you're hoping to see:

Earn 70,000 bonus miles
after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within the first 3 months.1Plus, get a 0% introductory APR for 6 months on purchases. After the introductory 6 months period, the APR for purchases will be variable at 17.99%-26.99% based on your credit worthiness and other factors at account opening, and this APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. ¤Offer ends 5/1/2019.†

ANNUAL FEE
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95†¤

Actually you could also try to create a self-referral from this link: https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com...ogin?extlink=US-MGM-DeltaMarch19PartnerEmail1

@ep1229 - if you can get the self referral to work, here's the offer you're hoping to see:

Earn 70,000 bonus miles
after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within the first 3 months.1Plus, get a 0% introductory APR for 6 months on purchases. After the introductory 6 months period, the APR for purchases will be variable at 17.99%-26.99% based on your credit worthiness and other factors at account opening, and this APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. ¤Offer ends 5/1/2019.†

ANNUAL FEE
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95†¤

Actually you could also try to create a self-referral from this link: https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com...ogin?extlink=US-MGM-DeltaMarch19PartnerEmail1
I didn't get that offer :-( I only got the 30K one. Bummer! That would have been great

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter