I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Study abroad/year abroad people, I have a question.

DD is still finalizing her dates (will that ever get done???) and we are trying to help her find the best deal for her flight since she has a limited stipend and a limited number of points.

I remember reading that sometimes you need to book a RT ticket... can someone tell me where I can find that info?
All we know now is early Aug to sometime in late May or early June. I think she'll get the start date long before the end date, but I want to grab tickets sooner rather than later. We saw some great fares right now, but aren't sure if she has to have a return ticket when entering the country, or if it's ok to get one later since she will be there for almost a year.

My kids have done a variety of study-abroad and fellowship programs and they (we) always received pretty detailed instructions about the visa process from someone at their home school or their abroad school/program, or both. Also for some programs, there are message boards a lot like this where the kids share their thoughts (mostly anxiety during the selection process, but some questions/answers after the selection). Hopefully your DD can find someone with experience with her particular country and program, because lots of variables determine what she will need.

Mainly using the miles for Disney hotels :) and then being limited to either Visa or MC biz cards because I am paying car loans and AMEX wont let you do that with Plastiq. Too bad because it would have been a great time for a Biz Platinum :rolleyes:
Excellent point. I totally forgot about the limitations with Amex and Visa on plastiq!

LOL!! I have this card too, haha! I only use it at Old Navy/Gap and like how I get free shipping no mins. They are offering 10x points this month on grocery stores though!
I do the same! It does run some promos where if you put X spend or use it X times you get extra rewards. I am wondering what will happen when Old Navy becomes a separate company?

I saw one off of Hwy 36! For a minute, I thought the sign said Chevy's, which is a Southwest-type restaurant up in the WA state where we lived for a while, and I was happy to go eat there again. I had to look up Chuy's, and it looks like a good place to try!

Where in WA is/was there a Chevy's? I've never seen them here or outside of CA for that matter. Not sure I'd go, though I do remember their chips being really good.

What date range are you traveling in for these? I've never seen it that cheap. apparently I need to go when you are!

First week of April! Can't wait to go :)

I originally had magical rates booked. The GF was available as soon as AP rates came out. I went from a standard garden view room to outer building CL room for $19.80 total. The BC was just about 2 weeks ago. I had been stalking availability thinking YC would come up, but I saw BC CL for $169.23 more.

Hello! I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice... I was wondering if y'all could could give me suggestions on what credit card to get next. Let me know if I'm in the right place. TIA
Hey there! Thanks for jumping in AND reaching out about DISchurners :)

Would you mind providing the info in sticky post#2 to help us give you good advice. I'll quote it here too:
How do I ask for Advice?
Well...you go to the comment box and ask...:rotfl2:

Ok - so seriously, there are numerous things that the experts here would need to know to provide qualified and helpful advice.

1) First off, we are going to want you to list ALL credit cards you were approved for in the last 24 months. This would include all personal cards, store cards, business cards (but not things such as auto loans or mortgages). If you have a spouse (aka Player 2) please also list their cards if they are participating in this as well.

The format you should use to do that is as follows:
MM/YY - ISSUER Card Name
  • MM = Month (add a 0 before single digit months to make it look even more uniform)
  • YY = Year
  • ISSUER = CHASE, AMEX, CITI, BOFA, WELLS FARGO, etc.
  • Card Name = The Full Card Name (including business or personal if applicable)

Example:

11/17 - AMEX Business Gold Rewards
01/18 - CHASE Marriott Personal
04/18 - CHASE Ink Preferred
09/18 - CITI AAdvantage Business
11/18 - CHASE Southwest Business
01/19 - CHASE Southwest Plus​

2) Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of?
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program?
  • Does SOUTHWEST service your airport?
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference?
  • Do you currently have any travel points in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? (i.e. Disney World Trip, Cruise, European Trip, Cash Back to pay-off a mortgage or student loans, etc. - you can have multiple goals too!)
  • Who does your travel party consist of? (Spouse, Kids (& ages), other relatives/friends)
You DO NOT need to list all of this (or really any of this) info above to ask for advice...just know that the MORE you share, the BETTER the advice we'll be able to provide.

Hello! I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice... I was wondering if y'all could could give me suggestions on what credit card to get next. Let me know if I'm in the right place. TIA

Hi.and Welcomed.......your definitely in the right place but to give you the best advice possible ..It would be help if you went to the first page of this thread and answered the questions in the second post

Where in WA is/was there a Chevy's? I've never seen them here or outside of CA for that matter. Not sure I'd go, though I do remember their chips being really good.

All the Chevys near us closed a few years ago. We are still sad about that. And yes their chips were really, really good.

My kids have done a variety of study-abroad and fellowship programs and they (we) always received pretty detailed instructions about the visa process from someone at their home school or their abroad school/program, or both. Also for some programs, there are message boards a lot like this where the kids share their thoughts (mostly anxiety during the selection process, but some questions/answers after the selection). Hopefully your DD can find someone with experience with her particular country and program, because lots of variables determine what she will need.

Of course she's online looking for info, and writing to the people she will be working with. She won't go on the slack since most countries haven't settled who they pick yet and it's all about being worried about getting accepted. Also her country is a tiny part of the program, so she hasn't found anyone on reddit who is also going there.

But in the meantime I'm trying to figure out the flights since that's something I can help with. So that's why I was asking about flights and if we need a RT here. She is young and frugal, and doesn't have many points on her accounts, so we are trying to help her get the best flight possible.

It was in Lynnwood over by the mall. We were entertained watching El Machino make tortillas lol

This was over 14 years ago though...

It was in Lynnwood over by the mall. We were entertained watching El Machino make tortillas lol

That explains it, I don't go that far north unless I have to or more than likely I'm passing through to somewhere else. Though in 2005 I was close enough to having lived in CA I might've drove up there to eat it.

I googled them after you mentioned them earlier. Hadn't thought of them in years and suddenly wondered what happened. Sure enough, it seems many of their locations closed.

Main Question... What business card should I get next?

Cards opened in the last 24 months
02/19 BOA Alaska Airlines Personal (I meant to open a business one but opened a personal one instead)
03/19 AMEX Platinum
07/17 CHASE Sapphire Preferred (upgraded to Reserve last year)
08/18 AMEX Gold
10/17 CHASE Marriott Business (closed this month)

Other cards that I have:
AMEX SPG (thinking about cancelling this)
AMEX Delta Platinum Business
CHASE Freedom Card
Discover Card (I don't use much)

Currently I only have one business card and I want to open another one. Which one should I get. I was considering the CHASE Ink Business Preferred or the American Airlines Business card.

I put everything on my cards so typically I spend about 3K a month. We are traveling a lot in the next few months so it won't be hard to get the minimum spend. I pay everything off each month.

We fly out of DTW. Preferred airline is Delta since it's a hub.

Yes, Southwest services DTW

We've been using Marriott for our hotel but with the recent changes I'm open to other hotels. I have gold status at Hilton now because of my AMEX plat card.

Goal would be to get plane tickets and hotel stays. We are also DVC members, I don't know if that factors into things. We are a family of 3.

Thanks in advance

1099s...AMEX...and Hilton...gah! :furious::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::furious:

I'm going to vent for a minute so feel free to ignore this lol
  • In 2018 my wife received 30,000 Hilton points from support clicks right away from r/churning in January. We then NEVER received another Hilton point despite having NUMEROUS folks on r/churning tell me they used my link. Somebody here even used my link and again no points - I figured it was a glitch or something and let it go (probably a mistake)
  • Late Jan 2019 I receive a 1099 from AMEX showing I received 82,090 Hilton points for $550 - that's funny...I only got 30,000
  • I'm about to list a bunch of long calls I made...This is my Wife's account so this is HOURS of Mrs. SouthFayetteFan voice...
  • 2/4/19 - I (wife) call Hilton to VERIFY the 30,000 points in my records (to make sure I'm not missing something) and they absolutely verify the figure
  • 2/4/19 - I (wife) call AMEX, explain the issue. The rep has no clue what I'm talking about or that they even issue 1099s. She is able to confirm that I show 14 support clicks in 2018. 14???? Where are my points!! I finally convince them to open up a case...I will hear back in 24-48 hours...never hear back
  • 2/18/19 - I (wife) call AMEX again - very upset since I never heard back. They have no idea why nobody got back with me. Give them ALL the info again...It may take a couple weeks to hear back (ok so not 24-48 anymore??) and they could issue a revised 1099 then - GREAT, I'm happy!
  • 3/8/19 - Informed delivery shows two 1099s coming from AMEX...yay - hopefully resolved. Open the 1099s...they are the SAME FREAKIN $550 from before :badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc:
  • 3/8/19 - I (wife) call AMEX again - get a MARVELOUS agent who not only understands the issue but tells me that they transferred 15,000 points on 1/12 (yup I can verify those posted 1 day later; transferred 15,000 points on 1/19 (yup I can verify those posted 1 day later); transferred 30,000 and 22,090 points on 1/21 - Ummmmm WHAT? Those never posted...it's exactly 52,090 points...THE AMOUNT I KEEP ASKING FOR...:furious::furious::furious: Why couldn't any of the other idiot reps give me this detail A MONTH AGO!!!!! :badpc::badpc::badpc: Ok so this is a Hilton issue...
  • 3/8/19 - I (wife) call Hilton - try to explain the issue to the agent and oh my, she starts arguing with me that points aren't taxable. Cue my Ron Swanson Meme - I KNOW MORE THAN YOU!!! I finally get her to understand she has filed a case for my missing 52,090 points.
The really sad part about this is that because of this glitch I got 8 support clicks that could've gone to somebody else. That's 120k-160k Hilton points depending on what offer they were running!! Luckily I think MOST of those clicks were from r/churning so it didn't hurt folks here.

WHAT A FREAKIN' MESS!!! At this point I'm supposed to receive my 52,090 Hilton points once they resolve the issue on their end. And I guess I do owe taxes then on the points...I asked them to PLEASE resolve this by the end of the month because I don't really want to pull the trigger on the taxes until I know they posted.

EDIT 1:
I owe @amalone1013 a lot of royalties
EDIT 2: I'm losing my voice because talking in my high voice for 2 hours really takes it's toll on me!!
Quoting myself...So another 1 HOUR 41 MINUTE phone call as Mrs. @SouthFayetteFan just occurred...

2 weeks have passed with no follow up from Hilton. So I called and the had to discuss the whole issue all over again and Hilton seemed to feel that this was back on AMEX again...
  • 15 Minute on hold and then I'm told they don't see anything...and of course she acts like I'm crazy asking for 30,000 and 22,090 - how do I know it's those amounts...well because I'm SMART and I KNOW MORE THAN YOU!!! She ultimately says you need to go back to AMEX
  • So after I (my wife that is) calmed down I said, well let's get AMEX on the phone and to my surprise the Hilton rep agreed
  • The first AMEX rep was no help - and when I asked for them to confirm who I spoke to the last time OR get a supervisor they put us on a 5 minute hold and came back and said they still don't see the issue
  • I was LIVID and demanded a supervisor
  • The Supervisor was GREAT...he quickly was able to confirm the whole 30,000 and 22,090 (HA! I'm not crazy...take that!!)
  • There was a series of holds as he worked this and the Hilton rep remains on the line this whole time...
  • Finally he comes back and says this issue is NOT on AMEX. The points were accepted by Hilton on 1/22/18 (yes I'm fighting for 52,090 Hilton points I was owed 14 months ago)...
  • He says either you continue to fight this with Hilton OR we can issue you 25,000 pts and call it a day. Well I'm not taking HALF of what I'm owed...
  • So now Hilton is going to work on their end and I'm supposed to get a call or email on Monday about it...
THIS. IS. CRAZY!! I just wish the 1099 wouldn't have happened because then I wouldn't care. BUT, If I'm going to have to pay $150 or more in taxes I want my freakin' points!

End Rant...Again...until 2 more weeks pass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter