I feel like Disney is ditching my childhood:-(

That was during my first trip too. I was 8 years old at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Cool!

Makes me feel old. I was close to 28.

Toontown is another thing I miss. It was called something else first. There was a show in the tent.

I still miss Mr Toad and Snow White. When I went back in 2013 (for the first time since 2006) I was devastated when I heard they both got replaced! I know I can go ride them at DL if I miss them too much, but with it being on West coast, I don't get over there much (only been there once).
Also miss Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit (Kitchen Kabaret) very nostalgic to my childhood.

I was there for this. It was my most favorite time the castle was decorated. Plus it was my 25th birthday too. We're the same age same month same same sameeee ‍♂️♂️♂️♂️

October 6, 1971...I always say Disney opened in preparation for my birth.

Like this?

mmy-xmas-25thcastle-450x600.jpg

omg. I HATED this!!!! It was my first trip back since I was a small child. I wanted so much to see the castle, not this hideous creation.

Once upon a time it was called Mickey's Birthday Land! Then Mickey's Starland I think. Maybe the other way around. I was pretty little!

My first trip to WDW, and only trip as a child, was when that area was Mickey's Birthday Land, what memories!!! Thankfully, I am one of those people who really likes change, and I love seeing how the parks have changed throughout the years.

First trip in 1989; 3 kids (sons 8 and nearly 4, daughter about 2.5). I can't imagine what she was thinking - up early - suitcases =- limo to the airport - first time on a plane - rental van - driving to the hotel (GF) - getting settled in a great room - riding the monorail - getting into MK - riding the train to Mickey's B-Day.

All this in a matter of hours. And we get into the show and she's sitting on my lap - and the first character out is her favorite - Minnie! I looked at my daughter and her mouth opened wide with shock! I will NEVER forget that look on her face. 28 years ago and I still tell that story to anyone who will listen.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I have been going to WDW since the first year it opened. I have had a lot of practice at saying goodbye to things I've loved over the years. I try to remember what Walt said about the parks continuing to evolve and change, but it still makes me sad when I lose a favorite. I would give almost anything to have just one day in Epcot with Horizons, the original Imagination, Walter Cronkite in SSE and the World of Motion all running again. I miss the Skyway, If You Had Wings, and the original Main Street Electrical Parade at MK. There are resort restaurants I miss, shops I miss, and shows I miss. Even with all that, I can still enjoy and appreciate the newer attractions, shops and shows, and still have great Disney vacations.

Me too! Plus the first version of Kitchen Kabaret, before the "Food Rapper". Our family still sings "Veggie Fruit Fruit".

But, I am glad they are updating and making things current. I fear closing Spaceship Earth. Other than that, have at it Disney. I want Future World to be good again.

Mickey's Starland, I remember!

First was Mickey's Birthdayland - the train used to play "Rollin' Rollin' on the Express. We're rollin on the Mickey's Birthdayland Express. We're on our way to Mickey's Birthdayland" song. There was a great stage show for Mickey's Birthday inside the big tent. We still occasionally sing that song quietly on the train now.

Mickey's Starland was next and they had an awesome Disney afternoon live show in the tent.

It was lots of fun back there, even without kids lol.

I agree with the OP. Our first trip with our kids was '83 and it seems a lot of the original rides are gone. Mr. Toad, Snow White's adventure, 20,000 League under the Sea, the Skyway....there are many, many more. Lots of attractions in Epcot are gone, The Great Movie Ride in DHS is now closed. I feel like every time another attraction from the originals closes, we lose a little bit of the old magic. And I miss the old Disney magic.
Same here. I will continue to hope and await the day Disney gains new leadership that decides to bring back these attractions. There is no law saying Disney cannot get rid of some newer attraction to bring back its predecessor. If those attractions all never closed and were still open today, the parks would still be crowded and making money. Even if Johnny Depp had never been added to Pirates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter