• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am thinking about rebuying??

Does that mean the “rebate” is taxable as a 1099?
I don’t know, but my guide has told me you only qualify for the rebate if you live in one of the 50 states. I’ve read elsewhere it’s not taxable, but that’s only hearsay.

The ”math” is getting harder to justify. Back in 2012 I am sure the signs at the DVC kiosks still read “save 70%.” At some point it dropped to 50%, 40% and now it sells the Disney dream. So if that doesn’t tell you something, I am not sure what does. If I talk to folks now, I talk more about the intangible benefits over the savings. And while I love both direct and resale, buy where you want to stay has become even more important.
I got the VDH brochure yesterday and there were ZERO numbers in it, except the fine print. I thought the WDW bus ads say 30% now? VDH didn't even try that, LOL. I would be interested to see the math in the VDH pitch now, there has to be some. When I did the pitch before Covid, there were tons of charts.

I got the VDH brochure yesterday and there were ZERO numbers in it, except the fine print. I thought the WDW bus ads say 30% now? VDH didn't even try that, LOL. I would be interested to see the math in the VDH pitch now, there has to be some. When I did the pitch before Covid, there were tons of charts.
I got a "full pitch" a year ago at WDW and there was no mention of any savings. They emphasized a life time of family trips for me, my kids, and grandkids. They did say I would be saving money from the room I was saving at (contemp club level) but did not really specify a percentage other then "oh yeah you saving for sure."

We just used Magical Beginnings @$22/pt. for an Oct UY GF contract. It was seamless and they are offering it publicly now on the website. It definitely moved the needle for us to buy in Direct.
Soooo I was tempted to add direct with this exact UY and resort. My guide was saying that IF I opt to use the Magical Beginnings deal, on top of the other incentives, I would pay dues on the full set of 2022 points, not just pro-rated from the date the contract was signed. Can you please confirm what your arrangement? And would love to know how that pushed you to buy direct. I'm still on the fence trying to figure out if I can make the math work for the blue card, though the FOMO is killing me 😳

Soooo I was tempted to add direct with this exact UY and resort. My guide was saying that IF I opt to use the Magical Beginnings deal, on top of the other incentives, I would pay dues on the full set of 2022 points, not just pro-rated from the date the contract was signed. Can you please confirm what your arrangement? And would love to know how that pushed you to buy direct. I'm still on the fence trying to figure out if I can make the math work for the blue card, though the FOMO is killing me 😳
I did have to pay the full 2022 dues. We have been looking at direct and resale for awhile and actually just also purchased a resale contract. I was willing to wade into the direct water a little at a time (50 point contracts here and there) to work my way up to a blue card but, like you, the FOMO was real. We were able to get our price per point after all incentives/rebates/rewards cash back to $182.17. Adding on the 2022 dues brings that cost per point up to $189.51. (We also used the military discount as paltry as it is, but I'll take every penny...every stinking one of em).

Being able to put it all on my CC and get those rewards dollars was a thing. I applied for the card as soon as I read about MB, lol, and worked that out with my guide splitting it up over a few months. It wasn't a decision that I took lightly but the number felt fair when compared to current resale prices for VGF and having some unrestricted points. So all in all, it came down to seeing a number that I felt was competitive with resale when taking into consideration the tangible benefits (unrestricted booking), that made the price make sense for me.

I did have to pay the full 2022 dues. We have been looking at direct and resale for awhile and actually just also purchased a resale contract. I was willing to wade into the direct water a little at a time (50 point contracts here and there) to work my way up to a blue card but, like you, the FOMO was real. We were able to get our price per point after all incentives/rebates/rewards cash back to $182.17. Adding on the 2022 dues brings that cost per point up to $189.51. (We also used the military discount as paltry as it is, but I'll take every penny...every stinking one of em).

Being able to put it all on my CC and get those rewards dollars was a thing. I applied for the card as soon as I read about MB, lol, and worked that out with my guide splitting it up over a few months. It wasn't a decision that I took lightly but the number felt fair when compared to current resale prices for VGF and having some unrestricted points. So all in all, it came down to seeing a number that I felt was competitive with resale when taking into consideration the tangible benefits (unrestricted booking), that made the price make sense for me.

To clarify, they charged you 2022 dues and you are paying all of 2023? Or prorated for 2023?

Or did they simply make you pay all of 2023 vs a prorated amount?

Dolphin is not an off-site option, it is considered a deluxe on-site for perks, as opposed to value. It's much closer than a massive component of DVC (AKL, SSR, OKW).

In many ways, Marriott is a superior hotelier. I understand the bias here is DVC, but the obvious competitor is Dolphin. When you are doing math, it is the obvious comparison.
Agree 100% FWIW. Took the whole family (6 of us, 3 connecting rooms) to Dolphin the week before Christmas. Booked maybe 6 months out.

Literally nothing DVC offers can compare in value.

This thread is about math. Dolphin is an equivalent property by any objective measure, much better than the 11 point OKW room IMO.
See that's the problem with these arguments. You said it's objectively equal, then gave an opinion in the same breath. No matter how much you want to break into down into pure math, you can't. Too many intangibles that make a resort preferable to someone over another. I love Swolfin I think it's one of the best bang for buck hotels on property. Stayed there at least 10 times. But it's not objectively equivalent to owning DVC and neither is renting.

See that's the problem with these arguments. You said it's objectively equal, then gave an opinion in the same breath. No matter how much you want to break into down into pure math, you can't. Too many intangibles that make a resort preferable to someone over another. I love Swolfin I think it's one of the best bang for buck hotels on property. Stayed there at least 10 times. But it's not objectively equivalent to owning DVC and neither is renting.
Sure, if you must see animals from your balcony, Dolphin isn't going to work, but neither is 11 point OKW room.

These boards look down on Swolphin, and I don't get the hate. I can't think of an objective measure Swolphin are worse at, they are much better at location and transportation (and probably food?) than the majority of DVC.

If you are comparing WDW hotel rooms to WDW hotel rooms, as many are, it's the obvious comp. Fine, maybe you don't want to stay at Dolphin. I don't really want to stay at 11 point OKW. Just because it's OMG DISNEY doesn't make it better.

Sure, if you must see animals from your balcony, Dolphin isn't going to work, but neither is 11 point OKW room.

These boards look down on Swolphin, and I don't get the hate. I can't think of an objective measure Swolphin are worse at, they are much better at location and transportation (and probably food?) than the majority of DVC.

If you are comparing WDW hotel rooms to WDW hotel rooms, as many are, it's the obvious comp. Fine, maybe you don't want to stay at Dolphin. I don't really want to stay at 11 point OKW. Just because it's OMG DISNEY doesn't make it better.
Do they have kitchens?

Do they have kitchens?
Nope. These are studio hotel rooms, some larger than others, some have fireworks views, some have horrible views. Some have balconies, many do not... They have a coffee maker and mini fridge, but I think if you want a microwave, you have to ask. Definitely no toaster like the studios have.

I spent 10+ years staying at the Swolphin, from the Starwood days to now Marriott. I stopped in the past year or two because the rates were getting out of control. If you're super flexible on dates, then you might be able to find something sub $300 (incl. resort fees & parking) per night (especially if you're a passholder using the discount code), but no longer on the regular. If you have Marriott points, they've gone to dynamic pricing and so you're typically looking at 40,000 points plus and the new Swan Reserve is always over 50,000. That's one of the reasons why I bought DVC - it worked out to be cheaper in the long run.

I spent 10+ years staying at the Swolphin, from the Starwood days to now Marriott. I stopped in the past year or two because the rates were getting out of control. If you're super flexible on dates, then you might be able to find something sub $300 (incl. resort fees & parking) per night (especially if you're a passholder using the discount code), but no longer on the regular.
It's $215 for the dates on my August trip right now. It swings wildly in price, and it has downside, as does DVC.

Nope. These are studio hotel rooms, some larger than others, some have fireworks views, some have horrible views. Some have balconies, many do not... They have a coffee maker and mini fridge, but I think if you want a microwave, you have to ask. Definitely no toaster like the studios have.

I spent 10+ years staying at the Swolphin, from the Starwood days to now Marriott. I stopped in the past year or two because the rates were getting out of control. If you're super flexible on dates, then you might be able to find something sub $300 (incl. resort fees & parking) per night (especially if you're a passholder using the discount code), but no longer on the regular. If you have Marriott points, they've gone to dynamic pricing and so you're typically looking at 40,000 points plus and the new Swan Reserve is always over 50,000. That's one of the reasons why I bought DVC - it worked out to be cheaper in the long run.

Consider the other luxury off site hotels! Swan Reserves looks amazing (I've never stayed) but the Swolphin I've stayed at and loved. The waldorf, hitlon, and jw in the bonnet creek area are more reasonable priced for what you get. Transportation is the usualy complaint but with Uber/lyft, I ride share roundtrip to the parks multiple times a day and still come out cheaper and it was a lot faster and more comfortable (with only walking to epcot from the boardwalk hotels and walk to MK from contemporary being closer, maybe the gondolas if the lines are low). I dare say with the ride sharing taking off and being so convenient, on site really just has "theming" as their sole advantage and even that is eroding away.

DVC is a great value and so is the Swolphin (and others). Since we are all planners it's good for us that we can map out our trips and see which hotel/resort is best for what you want to accomplish for that trip. DVC ensures we are coming back regularly so we can focus our vacations to maximize our goals and minimize time wasted traveling and inefficient park itineraries.

I use to be a DVC owner for many years, back in 2012 I sold my DVC so I could purchase my first rental property,
First, congratulations on a smart decision and on your success. Second, congratulations on asking your question here on the boards. Many members of the disboards have analysed this beast to a point that makes my eyes glaze over. Very smart people here who know finance, and know all of the legal ins and outs of the contracts you are considering.
I'm a small points owner (150) and I love it. DVC now is a somewhat different animal than when I purchased back in 2007.
There are restrictions on resale, including the Riviera resale restriction that you can only use resale points for that resort, the original 14 restriction - you can only use resale points from those resorts at the original 14. I'm sure the more learned of members here will give you a lot to think about.
I personally love the original 14 resorts - I think they have great locations and theming. My points are grandfathered in before the restrictions started, but I don't have any problem staying at any of the O14.

If you can go often enough to make an annual pass worth it, you need 150 points direct in order to buy the Sorcerer's pass which is the discounted DVC pass. I believe that is the best benefit of qualifying for membership extras. I don't use one, I considered trying it pre covid, but for the price now, I don't think it's worth it to me. It no longer includes the photopass photos - now called memory maker. Aside from that, there is a 20% discount on merch and some 10% discount on meals in some table service restaurants.

Be aware that the resale restrictions will probably apply to new resorts going forward. I think resale is a great value, but some who have purchased resale with restrictions seem to feel like second class citizens. It's unfortunate that it's been set up that way, go with eyes wide open.

ETA: hit the post button too soon. :blush:

Last edited:
I stopped using swolphin since they kept upping the resort fee making my rooms go from 290 to over 350 with parking and fees. In addition, they started treating people who used points as second-class guests and charging ridiculous point rates equal to some St Regis properties.

That being said, a studio is a studio, toaster or not. I think they are a valid comparison. The service and housekeeping are better, the location is better, and the restaurant choices are better than some WDW DVC properties.

Other factors to consider besides price is your time.

Stayed a the Waldorf this past weekend and while it was nice definitely didn’t think it was anything special and absolutely hated being off property. (had some free nights & points to use up so decided a spur of the moment trip)

Being off property again was a giant PITA as we needed to take our car (2 grand kids in car seats). Getting to MK parking/TTC/ monorail wasn’t bad but at the end of the night with the boats not running right, the monorail line to TTC crowded and the walkway from MK to Grand Floridian closed because of the water parade, so couldn’t even walk, it was a zoo getting out. Left the park @ 10pm. didn’t get to hotel until 12:15am.

Mk has to be the worst park to get out of if driving yourself unless you leave early.

But Swan/Dolphin is the only off sight I’d consider worth doing as it’s walk to 2 parks or can grab multiple nearby resort buses home if one is too crowded.

Never again…way too long…need more points….put me in the Disney bubble please!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter