I am thinking about rebuying??

So, if someone won’t stay at the Marriot, then not sure why one uses its rates. Just like renting…we would never rent so using those figures only works if one actually thinks they’d do it…if not, cash rates with a discount is more comparable.
Sure, if you are unwilling to do the two obvious alternatives. But this is math, and they are often superior.

Dolphin is not an off-site option, it is considered a deluxe on-site for perks, as opposed to value. It's much closer than a massive component of DVC (AKL, SSR, OKW).

In many ways, Marriott is a superior hotelier. I understand the bias here is DVC, but the obvious competitor is Dolphin. When you are doing math, it is the obvious comparison.
The Dolphin lacks the Disney magic, and you can tell it’s not Disney the minute you walk in. The rooms and the pools all feel generic.

Do you actually stay there frequently?

This is why I feel DVC needs to bring it back to the days where it felt like a club (the OP will remember those days). Money and math is different for everyone but that feeling of being "part of the club" was really what set DVC apart from other timeshares. All these resorts are beautiful and unique in their own ways and there is something for everyone. But DVC uses to feel special and it wasn't just about saving money or trying to log on to get moonlight magic tickets or reservations.

Old folks (age or dvc member age lol) am I just being nostalgic and looking through rose tinted glasses?

The Dolphin lacks the Disney magic, and you can tell it’s not Disney the minute you walk in. The rooms and the pools all feel generic.
OP didn't ask about magic, they asked about math. In that respect, Dolphin and renting points have to be considered, as well as competitors. Reality is that DVC isn't as competitive as it was in the past.

If they had asked about construction standards or bathrobes or TP or seeing animals from their balcony, I would have a different answer.

Wyndham is a very nice property. And at $150 for my August dates, it makes DVC hard to justify.

OP didn't ask about magic, they asked about math. In that respect, Dolphin and renting points have to be considered, as well as competitors. Reality is that DVC isn't as competitive as it was in the past.

If they had asked about construction standards or bathrobes or TP or seeing animals from their balcony, I would have a different answer.

Wyndham is a very nice property. And at $150 for my August dates, it makes DVC hard to justify.
Wyndham bonnet creek? I like the grounds but they need to update the rooms (at least the regular 1 br's I stayed at)!

Well what OP really asked was, how can I buy some points in more than one property in the most economical way, to maximize my points for the minimal amount. While that *is* a math question, on a plain reading of his post, it's very clearly a DVC-math question where the magic of Disney/DVC is already assumed because OP has already decided he wants to buy into DVC. For that reason, competitors/Dolphin etc don't need to be considered - they have already been ruled out because they are not DVC.

Hello Everyone,

I use to be a DVC owner for many years, back in 2012 I sold my DVC so I could purchase my first rental property, Since then I have worked very hard and now I am in a position to buy some points in more then one property.

I am want to do this the most economical way to maximize my points for the minimal amount and figured the good people of Dis boards could help me in this Journey.

From what I see if you buy resale you don't get all the options you use to but I think their in a way around that buy adding on points, I am wondering if there are any tips or pointers people have for an old dog when it comes to getting back into the DVC game?

Sean Kearney
Halifax
Buy resale first, and buy soon, while the ROFR monster still sleeps.
Then you can add on your 150 Direct, to match whatever Use Year you picked up in Resale.
Consider the current Direct Incentives, and it might make purchasing 200 points more economical than 150.
Do you already have Favorite resorts, and resorts you would rather avoid ???

Well what OP really asked was, how can I buy some points in more than one property in the most economical way, to maximize my points for the minimal amount. While that *is* a math question, on a plain reading of his post, it's very clearly a DVC-math question where the magic of Disney/DVC is already assumed because OP has already decided he wants to buy into DVC. For that reason, competitors/Dolphin etc don't need to be considered - they have already been ruled out because they are not DVC.
OK, then renting DVC has to be considered and is razor thin against buying in many contexts.

With the magical beginnings sell back and the gflo still for sale (no restrictions of any kind) and having incentives, is gflo direct the beat deal for OP then? Only draw back is length of contract but for any resale besides riviera, gflo is on par.

OK, then renting DVC has to be considered and is razor thin against buying in many contexts.

Again, inly if someone would rent points over cash stays..and not everyone would because there are a lot of cons in renting

That is why if someone is considering DVC and wants DVC, then the math should always be against the choice that would be made without it.

I believe you yourself have said you used an AOA suite..not the Dolphin..when deciding because that is what was your choice would have been.

Maybe... but also, maybe not. OP is a former DVC owner and seems fairly set on being a DVC owner again. It might be that being a mere DVC renter is not going to appease OP.

I get what you're saying, I really do. It's just that for many, a DVC purchase makes sense even where the strict math would not.

I don’t understand why someone who is so vehemently against DVC even reads this thread. Thanks to all those DVC owners who are giving helpful information! It’s nice to hear positive things instead of constant attacks of DVC.
LOL, I'm not against DVC, I own quite a bit. But it isn't because I think it's "cheap."

And I gave the correct math answer which is resale SSR points for summer 11 point OKW rooms.

If that isn't the answer you are looking for, there are better, non-DVC mathematical alternatives. If you have a better DVC plan, I'd love to hear it. I'd pick Dolphin over OKW, though apparently many in this thread wouldn't.

Dolphin is not an off-site option, it is considered a deluxe on-site for perks, as opposed to value. It's much closer than a massive component of DVC (AKL, SSR, OKW).

In many ways, Marriott is a superior hotelier. I understand the bias here is DVC, but the obvious competitor is Dolphin. When you are doing math, it is the obvious comparison.
IMO it's certainly appropriate to mention all options. It always has been and hurts no one to share some actual numbers. Many times people get hung up on the idea that owning DVC is the cheapest option to stay onsite and that isn't always the case. Plus things have changed quite a bit since the OP owned over a decade ago.

Hello Everyone,

I use to be a DVC owner for many years, back in 2012 I sold my DVC so I could purchase my first rental property, Since then I have worked very hard and now I am in a position to buy some points in more then one property.

I am want to do this the most economical way to maximize my points for the minimal amount and figured the good people of Dis boards could help me in this Journey.

From what I see if you buy resale you don't get all the options you use to but I think their in a way around that buy adding on points, I am wondering if there are any tips or pointers people have for an old dog when it comes to getting back into the DVC game?

Sean Kearney
Halifax
Hey Sean, nice to see another Haligonian on the boards! Just moved to Dartmouth last summer; I’d be happy to chat sometime about DVC, we own 2 contracts. Just send me a PM and I can give you my contact info.

The ”math” is getting harder to justify. Back in 2012 I am sure the signs at the DVC kiosks still read “save 70%.” At some point it dropped to 50%, 40% and now it sells the Disney dream. So if that doesn’t tell you something, I am not sure what does. If I talk to folks now, I talk more about the intangible benefits over the savings. And while I love both direct and resale, buy where you want to stay has become even more important.

If the OP is from Canada (geography isn’t my strong point, but I’m assuming that’s the Halifax they are from) then they won’t qualify for magical beginnings.
Does that mean the “rebate” is taxable as a 1099?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter