I am just started getting shin splints

bawsmom

Mouseketeer
on the side of my leg.... :headache: what can i do to help it??? I have been walking for years, 4-5 times a week, about 3 miles. and now all of a sudden i am getting this pain on the side of my leg that feels like a shin splint. My walking partner and i are getting ready to start the couch2k program :cool1:and i really want to get this problem worked out before we start....

any ideas or suggestions????

TIA
MH

There are specific stretches for shin splints. If you look on the internet you should find them.

I tend to get them when my shoes are no longer supporting me like they should. Track how many miles are on your shoes and make sure you aren't going over the recommended maximum, which I believe is 400...you'll have to double check me on that.

I agree with checking your shoes. Many are supposed to last between 400-500 miles, but I found with mine (Brooks Adrenaline GTS) I start having knee pain after about 300.

Shin splints usually occur because someone does too much too quickly (ramps up mileage / frequency quicker than they should). Because you have been walking for so long, I would be surprised if that is what the issue is!

Also is it on the inside or the outside? More towards the front or the back. /It is dull or sharp. There are lots of different things that can cause "shin splints" from muscle imbalances between the calves and hte muscles along the front of the foot. It be damage to the bone like stress fractures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter