Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

I have a friend in Davenport (about 23 miles south of Disney). He said there is no gas to be found in his area.

Some bummed. I have been waiting for Club Villain for so long. Sold out the rest of the month... Hope they bring it back and I can go another times :-(

We are here in Animal Kingdom. It was eerie when all of the phones went off simultaneously with the hurricane warning alert.

We are here until Sunday staying at Pop. We are planning HS tomorrow and hope to get everything done before 2, including our ADR.

I'm bummed about the 7 am EMH MK opening on Friday and our Crystal Palace brunch. I'm doubtful either of those will happen at this point. We did stay in the MK longer yesterday to get all of our "must-do's" in.

We are planning on buying a few (very overpriced) board games tomorrow if they do announce the park closing for Friday.

I found this board looking for how the storm will impact Disney. We are from the Nashville TN area and are passholders until June.. 11 days in the parks so far this year. We leave for our 4th trip tomorrow at 7pm in TN and are supposed to arrive 930ish in Orlando. We plan to do the parks Fri-Mon AM with a flight out Monday evening. We've got passes and already bought the airfare and the time off so we are heading down to see what happens. We are renting a car at the airport for the weekend and have Friday evening Halloween party tickets. We are really hoping for some meh conditions and empty parks... Any suggestions?

I found this board looking for how the storm will impact Disney. We are from the Nashville TN area and are passholders until June.. 11 days in the parks so far this year. We leave for our 4th trip tomorrow at 7pm in TN and are supposed to arrive 930ish in Orlando. We plan to do the parks Fri-Mon AM with a flight out Monday evening. We've got passes and already bought the airfare and the time off so we are heading down to see what happens. We are renting a car at the airport for the weekend and have Friday evening Halloween party tickets. We are really hoping for some meh conditions and empty parks... Any suggestions?
I would say that you are right on the border of the time that flights will no longer be coming in at OIA, and that with tropical storm force winds (at a minimum) expected to occur from Thursday afternoon until late in the day on Friday, your park time may be limited and the party may not go on as expected.

I think you should try to move your flight up if possible to avoid a cancellation.

We changed our flights from Friday night to Saturday....the biggest disappointment is giving up EMM in HS on Saturday morning.

Edit: My God, this has been exhausting. Now I'm second guessing my choice to change flights because maybe flights will be coming in Friday night. I need a drink.

Last edited:

I would say that you are right on the border of the time that flights will no longer be coming in at OIA, and that with tropical storm force winds (at a minimum) expected to occur from Thursday afternoon until late in the day on Friday, your park time may be limited and the party may not go on as expected.

I agree. I would say there is a good possibility your flight into MCO Thursday night may not happen. I actually think most airlines will be getting their planes out of Orlando tomorrow so they don't have wind damage. I would be talking to my airline now to stay on top of things so no surprises.

Since the question of supplies has come up, on pages back, as well as the mention of packing a flashlight I just wanted to share how helpful glowsticks/necklaces/bracelets can be in the event of a power outage. No, I am not saying it will happen but if it does it can sometimes be unsettling just how dark it really is inside. We know we won't be able to turn on any lights inside but we forget the impact of street lights/exterior lights/appliance lights until they are no longer there. Hanging a glowstick from door handles can help with locating doorways, hanging a glow necklace from the lamp can really help take away that pitch black feeling that, for me at least, I wasn't quite expecting even though I was fully prepared for a power outage. Glow items are now a staple in our emergency preparedness kit. They are an inexpensive and portable option that some may not think of (definitely still pack the flashlight of course but having these items on all of the time can take the edge off the darkness).

Wishing everyone safety whether you live in the area or are traveling to/from.

I don't think it would close it long term. From what I hear, Disney is always the first one up since they have their own power grid. I'm hearing alot of hurricane plans include Disney. From what I'm seeing, I think tomorrow should be fine but Thursday night and Friday is iffy.

Disney does not generate its own power. Well, to be correct it generates a small portion (like 20%) of its own power. The rest is bought from the Florida power grid. As long as the transmission grid is operable then WDW will have power. If it fails, then it won't. Even if the grid holds, there could be scattered outages at WDW as some equipment may be damaged by winds or water.

PLEASE don't pay attention the amateur wishcasters on this message board. Listen to the local Orlando news http://www.wftv.com/, NHC or the weather channel for current accurate info. Make informed decisions to keep you and your family safe.

Agree with the recommendation for the National Hurricane Center. They will provide unbiased, non-hype info about the storm.

I was at Disneyworld during a hurricane in 2005. I was at the Contemporary in one of the annex buildings (not the big main building). I remember getting letters to our room saying what time to be back in the room that night and to make sure you had enough food and water for your party for 1-2 days in your room. We couldn't leave our room until about 8pm the next night, although I don't know what they did for the rest of the main hotel. We had power the whole time and they put movies on the Disney channels all day and it was pretty uneventful. I remember them saying that workers in the hotel and any restaurants/shops would be a skeleton crew as it would be difficult for people to get to work during a hurricane. We went to Chef Mickey's that night and it was open and we just walked in. The next day the parks were open but changing our flights to get home earlier was not happening (I was there for a conference that was then cancelled).

Too bad Nash Roberts isn't still around. He was the only source I felt I could trust with hurricane predictions. He got Katrina right with his dry erase marker and white board while all the fancy computers failed.

I agree with most posters; If I was there I would just stay and see what happens but I would definitely not want to be traveling before or right after the storm. I have to drive through storm affected areas for work in the Louisiana/Texas gulf coast areas and the amount of crap everywhere after a storm is pain to deal with at best and quite dangerous at worst.

If you are riding out the storm, keep in mind that Disney does have the ability to generate power so if you are stuck there will most likely electricity in areas. I was at LSU during Katrina and the campus had power long before the surrounding Baton Rouge did due to their localized generation.

Oh my goodness… I was just explaining to someone today about high/low pressure systems and effects they have with hurricanes. You sound like a meteorologist, she said. I said nope, back in "my day" we had this marvelous fellow, NASH ROBERTS, who had a board and explained the science behind the weather. We didn't have the computer models… we had hurricane cartography and Nash Roberts! *swoon* Rest in Peace, Nash. Always has been my weather-hero.

I'm going to call and check in with my New England friends down there now. Like others have said, this NOLA native would feel safe at Disney. I'd also plan ahead with provisions to hunker in the hotel room. I like that some folks pointed out getting cash now, and you could fill up empty bottles or ziploc bags with tap water if necessary, prior to power going out and being cautious with the tap water.

One additional note with the phone (Katrina lesson) we found that texting went through much quicker, and I agree that considering a back-up plan for your communications such as facebook would be good to discuss with your loved ones that may be concerned about you in FL.

Big ole hugs to all y'all riding out the storm. :grouphug:

I'm on the Fl Space Coast and from Pensacola...the dynamics will change...it's a hurricane.
Without a doubt, but all I did was use NOAA's own projections that were applicable at that time and stated them as such. I wasn't freelancing. Hurricanes are fluid events, but they can change in either direction. For Orlando, that outlook took a definite turn for the worse in the last few hours.

Without a doubt, but all I did was use NOAA's own projections that were applicable at that time and stated them as such. I wasn't freelancing. Hurricanes are fluid events, but they can change in either direction. For Orlando, that outlook took a definite turn for the worse in the last few hours.
what is the outlook now?

Well, we are supposed fly in on Friday early evening from Baltimore on Southwest. I'm really concerned that we won't get in, and once Southwest starts cancelling flights, the domino effect is just out of control and no one gets anywhere for days. We were only coming for the holiday weekend, so I'm worried this will all be a bust. Luckily I talked to DVC member services this AM, and they said that they will be flexible with refunding points that members can't use because of flight issues. There won't be any getting $$$ back for Food and Wine events though.
Thank you for sharing this. We inquired about moving our trip yesterday. United airlines was willing to do so with no fees. DVC said we would lose our points as they had no "okay" to make exception as the higher-ups did not see the case for the WDW area, only Vero Beach. I will call back now.

- Dreams

Mother Nature - ain't she grand? No one can predict what is going to happen, she does what she wants and seems to enjoy baffling the experts. I'm landlocked in North Georgia where we have no extreme weather, heck our house seems to be in some protected cone where we've actually watched tornados touch down all around us and just blow a few limbs down in our yard (thank heavens). I would think to err on the safe side would be wise, I've been at WDW during a hurricane and all was good, they closed the parks for the evening but otherwise you could hear wind blowing and it rained like heck but nothing. I wouldn't head down right now though unless I lived somewhere on the coast in the predicted path. Be safe everyone, a vacation isn't worth it and those of you from there, hunker down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter