Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Decided to take a stroll around the BW, was about at the furthest point from the YC when the skies opened up and the winds picked up. Oops! There were a ton of people out there walking around, but it sounds like a t-storm is coming now so everyone was rushing to get inside.

Just got back to the YC and the pool just closed. Guess it's time for some indoor time now!
We walked around too. We were going to continue our walk to Hollywood Studios and back until a small branch hit my husband's shoulder. We decided it was best to head back in.

A handful of observations:
- about 15 minutes ago the QS at Yacht Club only had the veggie wrap boxed lunch left - I assume they were hoping to replenish but I’m not sure.
- BC and YC both have the two of each item limit in place.
- Martha’s Vineyard (BC) is open for drinks (and is understandably busy).
- At just before 2pm there were signs on the BCV outside doors that they’d be shut from 3pm but when we came back through at about 2:20 they’d gone…
We’re at Martha’s Vineyard now and it’s full. I highly recommend the Mai Tai….I should eat food now. lol

I'm in New Orleans La. area. Please please be safe. Watch for flying debris! Make sure you have snacks and water. Stay inside.

My heart breaks for Floridians. We still are waiting on repairs from Hurricane Ida last year. Hundreds of Louisianans are on your way to help. I have been through many Hurricanes. Went through Katrina working at a hospital.

I feel incredibly lucky that we are not yet at WDW. Feel so bad for those that are, especially those that recently arrived to find the park closed for 2 or more days. 😥

Question: We are scheduled to fly down there on Monday afternoon. I know that no one can predict the extent of what the damage will be to the resort, but for those that may have past experience, or just those that could put themselves in our shoes, would you still plan to go given all the issues already mentioned, above, on this thread?

Food and water being scarce (We have an Amazon Fresh cart ready to order, though there is no water available, and I am sure many items have now sold out. No telling when the grocery stores or Disney will be able to restock after the storm passes )

Fresh water issues in the rooms (We are staying at CSR in a Casita.)

A possibility of long term power issues.

Overpacked hotels and then getting the rooms cleaned for new guest (We were at Animal Kingdom last year at this time and because of Covid, there were already cleaning issue because lack of staff.)

Another thing I am concerned about is that our transportation could be cancelled for lack of gas for their vans.

Again, I know the future cannot be told today, and we will wait to see how bad a hit WDW gets, but just wondering what YOUR thoughts are?

Praying for safety for everyone effected by this storm!

We are supposed to arrive next Wednesday afternoon and wondering about some of the same things. Do we postpone in deference to “whatever” the situation is? I don’t know, but I think we will have a better idea this weekend.

Prayers to everyone in Florida and their families!!

We walked around too. We were going to continue our walk to Hollywood Studios and back until a small branch hit my husband's shoulder. We decided it was best to head back in.
Yeah, probably a good idea, we felt like we may have made a mistake taking a stroll out there once the winds and rain really picked up. Glad we're back at the YC now!

Reactions: rlk
Please be ready to leave your room if a window fails. Be ready with a grab bag so you can run to a staircase or an interior hallway. If the windows breach, that means there are projectiles and you need to leave. This isn't just about water. You don't have time to dress or pack if this happens.

Please be ready to leave your room if a window fails. Be ready with a grab bag so you can run to a staircase or an interior hallway. If the windows breach, that means there are projectiles and you need to leave. This isn't just about water. You don't have time to dress or pack if this happens.
Or shelter in the bathroom.

Edited to add disneybb made a great point. Disney value and most moderate rooms don't have interior halls. Thats probably half the rooms.

Last edited:
But if you don’t have an inside corridor I assume move to the bathroom? A bit nervous about this happening 🥺

Finally was able to retrieve phone message that was left @ 1:50 something this afternoon. $15 buffet dinner being serve in the BW conference center from 5-6pm tonight. Boxed meals available in the lounge until 4pm. No other info offered. Guess I'll take another trek down to the lobby. Decided this morning to be proactive considering the total lack of communication and brought in the patio furniture myself. Made a last run to the shop on the Boardwalk earlier to grab a couple more large bottles of water before they shut down. I had grabbed some goodies from the Bakery in France & the Boardwalk Deli last night and water & a bottle of wine from the store yesterday morning.
Thank you for posting this. For some reason I am still unable to retrieve messages from my in room phone.

But if you don’t have an inside corridor I assume move to the bathroom? A bit nervous about this happening 🥺
in a worst case scenario you can do that, but it is very unlikely that it will happen. You are a lot more likely to see wind-driven water coming in around the seams. I don't think the winds will be high enough where you are to outright have a window fail or lift something heavy enough and far enough with enough force to put it through your window given all of the prep disney has done to remove projectiles, and exterior corridor hotels have the windows set back a little bit and protected by overhangs and balcony railings. You will very likely be 100% safe in your room. It's good to know what to do just in case but it's not a very likely scenario.

Try not to worry too much, you may end up not so comfortable, but these buildings are built pretty well.

Last edited:
Donald, Daisy, Minnie and Goofy playing bingo at the BC.

Attachments

• 703BA84E-595A-4A30-BC35-552E08CBD184.jpeg
    703BA84E-595A-4A30-BC35-552E08CBD184.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 5B67552C-7720-480C-A5A9-DB495E3D200E.jpeg
    5B67552C-7720-480C-A5A9-DB495E3D200E.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 373C65EA-15E7-4C8A-9E93-52FACBE85579.jpeg
    373C65EA-15E7-4C8A-9E93-52FACBE85579.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 38
Thank you for posting this. For some reason I am still unable to retrieve messages from my in room phone.
I can't retrieve messages either. So far, I've gotten two different messages and both times I had to go to the front desk to find out what they were. We were told our time for dinner is from 8-9 pm. They told me we could go at 5 though.

I think all the resorts without an inside corridor have upgraded the bathroom to have the sink/changing area behind a sliding door (I could be wrong but the ones we've stayed in have), so you can huddle behind that if needed. Or, worst case, pull a mattress off the bed and shield yourself with it. This is all worst case scenario, hopefully you don't need this information, but it's hurricane 101 for locals and good to know in a pinch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter