How to start scrapbooking?

PoohBWV

<font color=green>Moderator<br><font color=red>Pro
Did you take a class to get started or just learn on your own. My dd's (19 & 17) bought kits to get them started, but it seems like they are quite limited and they ended up buying a lot more stuff. Are classes worth taking?

Imagine meeting you here!!LOL!!
Classes are great,you can find them for both beginers and more advanced techniques,it is a good way to get started on the hobby.
There are several very good scrapbooking magazines as well which are chalk full of ideas..my favorites are Creating Keepsakes and Memory Makers but there are plenty more. You can also check your library-there are often many scrapbooking idea books available for all levels of scrappers.
Here are links to a couple of wonderful websites that do a excellent of job of giving info and ideas!
www.gracefulbee.com
www.scrapbooking.com
There are also many yahoo groups devoted to scrapping.
Also check out the threads on this forum and at the very top of the page.
Myself I just winged it from the get go and did take a couple of classes about a year into, I wish I had taken them a bit earlier as I really learned alot and they were so much fun.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Grover in Winnipeg :)

I was invited to a Creative Memories party hosted by a friend. And the rest is history.

The kits are very limited. I would recommend investing in some good cropping tools, like circle and oval cutters, as well as small pointed scissors for trimming. I love the CM cropping tools. I don't usually use fancy edged scissors. But I love punches. Keep reading here as there is some great advice offered. Check out your LSS stores for classes. Classes are fun as well as informative. I find I enjoy it more when I scrap with friends or my niece. You can bounce ideas off of each other. I keep my pages pretty simple, but just let your imagination take over. My biggest warning is that scrapping is extremely addictive. I bet I pick up something weekly! Even my BF now keeps a look out for sales, things we should include in our scrapbooks, and makes sure we have a camera nearby at all times!

Originally posted by aunties
I I would recommend investing in some good cropping tools, like circle and oval cutters, as well as small pointed scissors for trimming. I love the CM cropping tools.

I agree! The cropping tools are the basis for so many great pages. In addition to the ovals and circles, I have the square and circle punches in varying sizes. I keep learning how to be more and more creative with them through workshops. The workshops are fun and a great place to pick up tips.

Have fun!

Where do you all buy your supplies? I have only seen them at Walmart and there is one small store here that seems to be starting to get stuff, although they seem to be more into rubber stamps.

and *I* don't own any of those cropping tools. I use plain old scissors and if I need a template, I find something around the house the shape and size I want. It's very easy to let the 'glamour' of all those toys lure you into spending more than necessary. Below is a short list for begininng (Lifted from Frugal-families.com)

Okay, all you newbies. The first and most important thing to remember when buying supplies is to be sure everything that the photos will touch is acid free. This is to prevent yellowing and deterioration of your photos. If your pictures are in theose magnetic albums - the kind with sticky pages and a plastic overcoat - TAKE THEM OUT!!!! They are very bad for your photos. okay, now for supplies....

An album - There are literally thousands of different kinds out there. People like different kinds and sizes depending on their tastes and styles. I use a 12x12 strap bound album. I got mine at Hobbly Lobby. They are available at many places though, WalMart, craft stores, home parties, LSS (Local Scrapbook Store) Most albums come with pages already but not all. If not, you will need to get refill pages to fit the album you choose.

Paper - I LOVE scrapbook paper. There is just so much! To start, however, I would recommend solid colors and maybe a few printed sheets to use as accents on your pages. Just make certain yourpaper is acid-free.

Scissors - Straight edge scissors are all that are really necessary. As you get more involved in the craft though, you will probably want to try decorative edge scissors. They have lots of shapes and designs to choose from: wavy, scalopped, floral, etc. The pair I use most is called deckle - they make your paper look torn.

Adhesive - Again, there are several to choose from. When I started scrapbooking several years ago, the only choice was glue sticks. Now there are whol aisles in the LSS devoted to different adhesives. I still use a glue stick most. I think for beginning, it is all you need.

photos!!! of course.
If you have a Michaels near you, watch for their coupons. THey have almost weekly either a 40 or 50% coupon. You can use this for the kits too, easy way to get started. Watch and buy only when the sales hit.

I also like to look at magazines but the one place that I get the most information and inspiration from is www.twopeasinabucket.com That site if chockful of talented, generous people who are happy to share their knowledge and ideas. Two peas has message boards and a fabulous peanut gallery where you can see tons of wonderful layouts and glean great ideas from them.

Good luck.

There are many scrapbook stores-check your yellow pages-sometime they are listed in the arts and crafts section, I am not familiar with your neck of the wood but have internet buds in Ont so I will send a mssg to see if there are any store near you.
If you have a Micheals craft store near you they have TONS of stuff, Office depot just started carrying some stuff as well.
You can buy online as well, one place I recommend for awesome service and prices is www.scrapbooking.ca Rhea is the owner-I have only ever had the best service and never heard a bad thing! They have a really good inventory of stuff.
Some dollar stores now sell the sandylion paper and stickers as well!
Ohhh and you don't need tons of supplies-some of my favorite pages are very simple with clean lines! Grover in Winnipeg
:cool:

Wow, you guys are great! Keep the tips coming. I think the first thing I need to do is organize my photos. Do you make books based on themes? Like maybe all Christmas etc. I've been thinking that since my dd's both just graduated high school, that I would like to take all of the stuff they have accumulated - report cards, awards, photos etc. and make them into a scrapbook for each of them. What do you think?

HI PoohBWV-

So much great advice has already been posted here! If you are interested in Creative Memories, you can go to their website www.creativememories.com and locate a consultant in your area. That is initially where I learned the fundamentals of scrapbooking several years ago. The hobby has exploded from there for me!

As far as doing albums in themes...I have one for DD that is just regular stuff/holidays/ etc... A School Album for her with report cards, class photos, field trips etc...(this one stays pretty limited b/c it is the pre-printed school days pages from CM, which goes through 8th grade I think?) I also do separate albums for trips (5x7 albums for small trips, 12x12 for Disney, etc...) or if it is just a small trip I'll add that to the "Family Album" which is basically one I keep for DH and myself. In addition I have separate albums for my nephew who is just like a DS to me, and will do specialty theme albums for certain occasions like "OU football season"

DD's teacher this past year was new to scrapbooking and wanted to make an album for her DD who was graduation from high school. She basically started with sorting the pictures and memoribilia in chronological order and just kind of made a showcase of her DD's years through age 18. Instead of doing a "theme" on each page (i.e. halloween, ballet, etc...) she used all kind of papers in shades of lavender b/c that was her DD's favorite color. That turned out to be the "theme" This was to be DD's album to take with her as she left home.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Just pick the system that works best for you.

Happy Scrappin,
Candi

If I were to do it all over again....
1. Look at lots of web sites to get ideas of style
2. visit an actually scrap book store
3. attend a class or two
4. Take my pictures to the store and pick paper and stickers to match!
5 by the largest bag to hold everything in...not start small and then move up!
6. not buy as many stickers
7. Never cut my pictures into odd or goofy shapes! Clean lines are best IMO! save the fancy sissors for the mat paper (althought I still do like to occassionally cut a picture out)

What I did right:
1. Waited to buy tools
2. Bought a 12 inch cutter
3. invested in a good pair of sissors
4. Hermifix adhesive
5. Didn't get stuck on a style or theme!

That being said....
I feel the best tools on the market are CM and I love the new cutter bee 12 inch cutter!

Things I think every scrapper should have;
12 inch cutter
personal trimmer
sissors
oval/circle cutting system
good repostitional adhesive
basic supply of paper
a good album

I do themed albums. I have the kids school albums, Christmas album, life album and baby first year albums....

i found a couple sites that help to organize they are..www.learn2scrapbook.com andwww.myscarpbookstuff.com hope that will help!!

Pooh, I here is the info I could find on stores in your area, I will just cut and paste from the messages I rec'd.

Oh yeah.....theres a few! One in Blenheim and its a great store Its at Downey Photos....and a stamp store in Chatham (Rubies) that has some scrapping stuff...the store in Chatham is pricey but its a place to go. The Walmart is getting more things in, I was there today and got a few more things I "needed"....LOL

The dollar stores in Chatham and area are carrying some scrapbooking stuff now too....

And Windsor is only one hour away, we're starting to
have lots of stores here, some of them have crops and
classes.

HTH
Grover in Winnipeg

:cool:

Here is one more....

We have a new LSS in Sarnia and we are 1/2 hr. from Chatham. It is
called Lasting Impressions and it is on Michigan Ave. Pt. Edward which
is sort of suburb of Sarnia.(don't tell the point people I said that)
LOL. We also have a craft store that sells supplies it is called Sarnia
Craft Supply and it is at the corner of Finch and Wellington in Sarnia.

Grover in Winnipeg

Thanks for the stores. I've been to Rubies - that was actually where I got the bug, but I thought they were a little expensive. I had no idea that Downeys in Blenheim had sb stuff. I'll keep this list and when I'm in Sarnia, Windsor check out the other places. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter