• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much do you spend on food weekly?

I am amazed at $40 a week for a family of 4! $40 wouldn't cover produce and milk for me. I'd say for my husband and myself I spend $120 a week, including cleaning supplies and paper goods. We don't eat out much, once every few months, maybe. Now that we are eating reduced carb, the price has risen- no bread, potatoes, rice, noodles.

OP here - Thanks for all the great responses, this is so helpful. What I have found is that I do a pretty good job in my initial grocery shopping, but then I go back to the store almost daily, by the end of 2 wks I have spent quite a bit. Right now we are spending about 200$ a week, so there is a lot of room for improvement.

I can see, like DisneySteve & others have mentioned, that it is difficult to make comparisons, since preferences, lifestyle, family size, and geography all play a part. I am fortunate to live in a metro area w/ several stores nearby, so I can shop sales.

We do a lot of cooking, but also seem to grab fast food often enough, I am the biggest culprit for that with work lunches.

I think I will plan a few changes & see how they work out:

1) I will include all food, including school lunches, work lunches, restaurant food, etc in my budget. That way I can adjust my choices & see the impact on my budget.

2) Make 1 week menus based on sales. DH is pretty choosy about quality ingredients so sales are important. I can do w/o meat but he can't.

3) Bring my lunch at work 3/4 days, or at least buy in bulk diet coke etc instead of getting it out of the vending machine

4) Use coupons. I may try the Grocery Game thing, not sure what it is but sounds interesting.

I am shooting for 150$ a week first go-round. I just paid for my plane tickets so I need to get thrifty!!

I agree that it is hard to judge based on others. I used to spend less, now I'm sometimes as high as $100.00 a week for the two of us including pet food and household supplies (I try to budget $80 though). Though really, I could stop buying for a couple of weeks and we'd have plenty to eat. I am looking forward to buying a house next year and having a freezer to put larger items in.

On the average week, we really don't eat out at all - maybe we can average once a week, which might include a slice of pizza at the Boardwalk for me when I go down to GKTW to volunteer and stop on Disney property. But I don't buy lattes, coffee, rarely fast food, etc. I make my own smoothies, and have plenty of produce and such for myself on hand, as well as snacks for my husband. I do pay a little more for some items - like pistachios in a large box of 24, instead of just a canister, but I think it saves money (and calories) in the end.

Actually, I could probably go 3 weeks and not have to buy anything, though I'd run out of smoothie stuff pretty quickly. :) And I'm stocked on feminine products with all the great deals I got at BJ's until 2007! And I do use the food budget sometimes for other items like cards and a shirt or something if it's on a very, very deep clearance - so $80 might be about right per week. Not bad for essentially 42 meals and snacks, drinks, and such (though I actually eat 6 times or so per day). I do shop the warehouse clubs and sales (like buy 1 get 1) at the store, so I get great deals on lots of what I buy.

Oh...I forgot to mention that there are things I do, like buying enriched breads that do cost more as well. I could certainly get cheap bread, but I'd rather get it with more fiber and such.

Eating healthier may cost a little more, but should save lots of money in the long run.

I spend about $450 a month on food and cleaning supplies. I buy most stuff on sale and stock up. (if cereal or toliet paper is on sale I will be 3 or 4 and stock up) We go to BJ's where I buy all my meats and cleaning supplies/tissues etc.

I have been using a monthly budget for 15 years and it works really great for me. One thing you need to remember is that if you go grocery shopping every week- Every 3rd month there is an extra week. For example Jan has 4 Fridays, Feb has 4 Fridays, but March will have 5 Fridays, so your budget for that month will be $125 higher just because of the extra month so instead of spending $450 that month I will be spending $525 to make up for the extra week. Also when you think of July (31 days) & August (31 days) you have 9 weeks. ( but also remember that you get an extra payday every 3rd month too (or every 6 months if you get paid bi weekly).

I also spend $175 on dinners out and me and DH get $100 each of whatever money that we spend on "whatever" we want-- DH usually buys lunch with his. The $450 doesn't include school lunches which will be about $80 a month next year.

The best advice I can give anyone about a budget is to use it as a GUIDE. Some months you will be under /some over. You need to have a realistic amount- if you can't do groceries for $100 a week increase it to $110 or $120. Use an average. If more of the things I buy are on sale in any given week I will be spending more at the market, but it tends to even out over the month so I wont be buying alot of stuff the following weeks! I find working with a monthly budget is easier for me. However, there are times when I do overspend-- but I brush myself off and restart.

Good luck. It doesn't come over night!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter