How inconvenient is offsite - really?

From the Valet lot, is it shorter to walk to the monorail at Contemporary, or to walk to MK entrance?

Also, when do you tip the Valet? At drop-off, or pick-up? I can see where tipping multiple times would make this not much of a cost-savings... especially if you leave mid-day. That would be 4 tips, plus the extra $3.

From the Valet lot, is it shorter to walk to the monorail at Contemporary, or to walk to MK entrance?

Also, when do you tip the Valet? At drop-off, or pick-up? I can see where tipping multiple times would make this not much of a cost-savings... especially if you leave mid-day. That would be 4 tips, plus the extra $3.

We walked to MK. It is a very short walk.

It is customary to tip when you pick up your car...and if you take midday breaks you would tip when they bring you your car.

Using the valet isn't cost savings, it is a convenience. It is worth every extra dollar when you are leaving at night with tired kids and the wait to get to TTC is 40 minutes. You will be in your car and back to your house/hotel faster than you'd be back at your car without valet. We would do this even if we were onsite.

I think this really highlights that there is no "right" answer to onsite vs. offsite. It very much depends on your own personal preferences.

Some people don't want to have to drive while at Disney. Others can't stand taking buses.

Some don't want to cook their own meals. Others can't stand eating out 3 meals a day.

Some want a maid to come in and clean and make the beds every day. Others hate having a stranger come in and touch their stuff.

Some want to be surrounded by Disney 24/7. Others want an escape from the Disney bubble at the end of the day.

Both groups are "right" because it is what they prefer. The great thing about traveling to Disney World is that there are endless options with something to fit everyone's preferences.
An excellent, balanced, summary. Far too many posters, not really in this thread, can't imagine a person having an opposing opinion.
This is an onsite perk that often gets overlooked. When staying onsite, your whole party doesn't have to travel as one group. They can easily split up. The teens can sleep in and meet up with the family later in the day. Or mom can take the toddler back to the room for a nap while dad stays in the park with the older kid. Or mom, dad, and the kids can go to the waterpark for the day while grandmom and grandpop do some shopping at DTD or catch a movie.

And let's not forget that staying onsite you can enjoy an adult beverage or two and not have to worry about driving back to your offsite accommodations. Last year we stayed onsite for the first time in about 15 years because we won a trip from the DIS! We spent 3 days at the Swan and the one evening we walked into Epcot (also something you can't do from offsite), I stopped at the kiosk in France and bought one of those Grey Goose orange slushie drinks. I can't tell you the last time I had alcohol at Disney because I'm always the one driving and I will not drink and drive. I'm not a big drinker (especially at Disney prices) but it was nice to be able to do it and not worry about getting home.
Very much overlooked. A great point.
Another offsite convenience is parking. At most places we've rented, you park right outside your rental unit, sometimes literally a few feet from the door, or even in the garage of your rental home. Onsite, you usually have to park quite a ways from where you are actually staying.

Not really an issue if you plan on using Disney transportation most of the time. A complete non-issue if you plan on skipping a car.

Post a question like this on the resort boards posters will tell you staying offsite loses the Disney magic........

Post the question in this board and people talk about space and $$$$

Frequently the "right" answer (for the OP) is obvious from the way the question is asked.

Examples

I generally stay in a vacation home., Will I miss the XXX square footage, washer dryer, private pool etc? Will my family of 5 be happy in one room in All Stars. NO.

My husband drivers 100K per year for work. His favorite aspect of our WDW vacation is not driving. Will he be happy offsite. NO.

Afternoon break. A thought. The "better" the accommodations the less likely you'll want to go back.A nice offsite condo offers reasons to stay. A family of 4, 2 rooms in a deluxe (or moderate) Might want to enjoy the pool, dining etc. Family of 4 in one room in a value resort. How fast can you get back on a bus to a theme park.

How many times have the family been to Disney? How long until their next trip? Posters on DIS aren't the norm. A number of years I read the average Disney family makes one (or two) trips in their lifetime. They don't care how much credit card debt they incur.

I have no doubt DVC owners take more trips.

The more times I've been to Disney the less concerned I am about missing an attraction. A family who isn't planning a quick return is going to want to maximize park time. EMH becomes more important. Afternoon rest time less important. Using DME and skipping a rental car makes sense.

I don't like FP+. I have little doubt the next round of "tinkering" will favor onsite guests even more then the present system.

edited to add:

Offsite is almost always very inconvenient if you skip the rental car.
Offsite shuttles tend to be poor. DTD hotels are the exception, but aren't they technically on Disney property.

Not really an issue if you plan on using Disney transportation most of the time. A complete non-issue if you plan on skipping a car.
I would never, under any circumstances, do Disney without a car. If the choice was staying onsite without a car or not going at all, I'd stay home. Even when we have stayed onsite, with the exception of walking into Epcot from the Swan, we drive everywhere we go. We never take Disney buses.

I don't like FP+. I have little doubt the next round of "tinkering" will favor onsite guests even more then the present system.
Sadly, I agree with you. What used to be a very fair system, equal for all guests, has already become one that favors onsite guests. If they continue to stack the system against offsite guests, I'm not really sure what we're going to do. We already dislike the new system. I've said before, if there is one thing that will get us to stop coming, it is FP+. I hope that doesn't happen but it seems to be the way things are going.

Someone posted that it's $3 and someone else posted that it's $20. Where did the $3 figure come from. . . that's a significant difference.

Someone posted that it's $3 and someone else posted that it's $20. Where did the $3 figure come from. . . that's a significant difference.
Parking at the MK is $17, valet at the Contemporary is $20. The $3 is the difference between the 2.

Parking at the MK is $17, valet at the Contemporary is $20. The $3 is the difference between the 2.

Thanks!
I've only valet'ed at the Poly and I believe it was $17 -- but it's been a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter