How inconvenient is offsite - really?

I sincerely hope those words never come out of my mouth. :sad1:

I hear you, though, on the frustrations with the new system. We were not at all pleased with FP+ on our last trip in August. I'm really not sure how that will alter our touring in the future. I'm hoping the system changes significantly to be more like the old way but I don't really expect that to happen. If anything drives us away from Disney, FP+ will be it.

I'm not saying we'll never be back.....but I'm guessing its a ways off, at best. When we're grandparents, I'm sure (which hopefully is still years down the line :rolleyes2 .... I'm not ready to be called Nana anytime soon :crazy2:).

When stacked against their competitors, Disney is too young and feminine to appeal to our particular group at this stage of our family life.

Universal offers the thrills and the superheros that appeal to my fellows.

SeaWorld/Aquatica/Discovery Cove all offer something for all of us to enjoy, and are soooo much more relaxing to visit.

Both park families can be done far more affordably than Disney, especially when you add in the cost of dining at the Disney parks and resorts (table service and buffets specifically).

But that's what we love about Orlando in general.....there's something to fit every family. And as the family changes, you can easily switch gears and revisit some of the places that you have neglected for a while :). When I have a granddaughter who wants to be transformed into a princess at BBB or a grandson who can't wait to be a real pirate for a day, I'm sure we'll beat a path back to the Magic Kingdom and happily deal with Fastpass and dining reservations ::yes:: .

Minerva78, I think you'll enjoy POFQ.

How inconvenient is offsite? // Onsite or something like the Swan, Dolphin, or a Downtown Disney hotel (POFQ included) is going to be the most convenient for sure if you are doing all Disney and don't have a car or won't be renting one. Add in a rental car and except for hotels right on the monorail, I really don't see offsite as any less convenient than onsite. Just my opinion of course.

As for going back to the hotel for two hours or so and then coming back to park // I don't think that a place like POFQ has much of an advantage over a close by offsite place. Both seem a little far for that short a break. Up that break to three or four hours and a break at POFQ or close by offsite place seem pretty reasonable. A car makes getting around easier for both on and offsite if you're switching gears a lot, taking breaks, eating at different places. The Disney transport takes longer. // It's really just some of the deluxe MK monorail hotels and hotels where you can walk to Epcot that I see having the big convenience for a short break, but those come with a big price tag. I like these, but never spring for the dollars. I only for example stay at the Contemporary when DH has a conference there, and we only are paying for one night in a four night stay.

Add a few offsite attractions / parks, etc. (We like so much more than just Disney in the area), and offsite seems more convenient (more centrally located). We're big fans of the SeaWorld parks, often like to throw in a beach day, sometimes like to throw in a Universal day, etc. If the Disney bubble is important obviously onsite is better at providing that.

Next consider cost: For the popular weeks we travel it would usually cost me about triple to rent a two bedroom onsite vs. offsite condo (DVC point rental form an owner vs. offsite condo rental on a site like redweek.com and tug2.net). I think that cost differential means most people compare a value or moderate onsite to condo offsite vs. a condo to condo comparison.

I think in the end it's not all these practicalities and an exact cost comparison, but more in your gut what sounds more appealing for your family vacation -- what do you want that vacation to look like. Lots of people change things up and alternate quite a bit, especially if they vacation in Orlando frequently. That in itself shows that there are pluses and minuses to both.

Another offsite convenience is parking. At most places we've rented, you park right outside your rental unit, sometimes literally a few feet from the door, or even in the garage of your rental home. Onsite, you usually have to park quite a ways from where you are actually staying.

Another offsite convenience is parking. At most places we've rented, you park right outside your rental unit, sometimes literally a few feet from the door, or even in the garage of your rental home. Onsite, you usually have to park quite a ways from where you are actually staying.
Check before you rent.

Of course when we stayed offsite, we were at a hotel. So we were out in a parking lot, similar to when staying on site. The only difference was that we had to pay $17 a day for parking when offsite. And the hotel didn't offer free valet parking for the disabled.

You got a great price! I would look into it myself, but our family is outgrowing WDW. Does it trade well?
Gina got a good price...not an unheard-of bargain. Many very good timeshares can be purchased for very little, including on eBay.

I bought a Wyndham contract that gives me the rough equivalent of 600-700 DVC points for less than $2,000 including all closing costs and transfer fees -- and used it to exchange INTO DVC Dec 14-21, 2013 for about 1/2 the cost of using OKW points.

In looking at other timeshares, I would ignore "trading value," and focus on where you can go with that timeshare, within its own system. The timeshare exchange arena is a constantly changing picture, and it's really foolish to focus on that unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

If you look at what you can do internally, then anything you might get with an exchange is just gravy.

Check before you rent.

Of course when we stayed offsite, we were at a hotel. So we were out in a parking lot, similar to when staying on site.

True. Whenever I post about staying offsite, I'm not talking about hotels. I'm strictly talking about renting a condo/townhouse/single home or perhaps a timeshare unit.

When we rent a townhouse at Windsor Palms, for example, there is a one-car driveway literally right at the door of the house. When we rent single homes, there is also a private driveway right in front. With condos, we park in front of the building, usually no more than maybe 25 yards from the door.

Not sure which park you're going to, but I have always stayed offsite. I have only been to Disney World once, and we just rented a car. When we go to Disneyland (I have been...over 8 times?) we always stay offsite, generally in a good neighbor hotel. We have stayed at the Annabella, the Carousel Inn, the Castle Inn, and a few others. This year I will be staying at the Tropicana. All of these places are no more than a 15 minute walk away, and considering how much you will be walking in the park that is negligible. If your kids can't handle that walk - you're going to need a stroller for the park anyway!

It also depends on how much time you will be in your hotel. When my family goes on a Disney vacation were are at the park from the time it opens until they kick us out, so as long as the room is clean, has a bathroom, and has beds, we're good. If you are planning on eating in the resort or going back for rest times then you might want to stay somewhere nicer. If you can afford it, a Disney hotel would probably be a good place to relax with the kids outside the park while staying immersed in that 'magic'.

I LOVE having a condo, and most often a DVC villa is a bit much on the wallet.

Last time I stayed offsite, the kids and I (left DH at home) went for 15 nights (last two weeks of August). I found great deals on Interval International "Getaways", so our total room cost was less than $1,000. 4 nights in a one bedroom, the rest in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo (Marriott Grande Vista, just "meh" really, then Marriott Sabal Palms - awesome). I kind of overlapped the getaways - it just worked out that way. Rental car was less than $250 for the whole time (late August was DEAD in Orlando). We ate in or did counter service while in the parks exclusively (and I cooked some really good dinners grilling and making easy things like pastas).

For a long trip, nothing could compare to the relaxing feel of having a huge condo. Lots of days, we didn't get moving till almost noon (well, I was up but let them sleep in). I loved the washer and dryer (full size in Sabal Palms). The gas grill at Sabal Palms was right outside our door. We parked right outside our door practically. I got Marriott gift cards from American Express Membership Rewards, and got our Disney 10 day park hoppers with water fun & more at Grande Vista, charged them to the room, so they cost us nothing.

Downside: we pretty much had to stick together. There were days when I was ready to go head out with DD, but DS wasn't. You are pretty much stuck together (but for such a long trip, I just went with the flow. It was a total budget trip, so I didn't mind).

Next spring break, I'm staying on site. I am taking both kids, and have two friends also staying (at the Boardwalk) with their kids (one is my DD's best friend). We need to be able to let our kids come and go as they please (within reason), and so it won't work out off site.

One time we were at Grande Vista (with my DH), he dropped me and the kids off at the Magic Kingdom for the day, and it was super late when we were leaving. He was asleep, so we took a cab back. $50. Yup. And no, he went straight there, but there was a bit of traffic. That could add up fast.

I am honestly not looking forward to sharing a hotel room with my kids, so still looking to rent off redweek or tug boards for a one bedroom villa at the BWV like last year.

I debated this for a while for an upcoming trip at the end of April and ended up renting a 2 bedroom presidential at WBC. If you go to youtube and take a look at the presidential units you are sold. They are amazing.

This works for us because we will never take advantage of EMH and with toddlers taking and waiting for a bus does not work well.
DH needs the space for him to be really a vacation, and 2bdr DVC villas are a little out of our budget.

It is good to have room to relax and unwind while the kiddos go to bed early. We are not morning people, so we like to have a place to make breakfast an take our time. We will have a car, but WBC also has a shuttle, which is not great but good enough that I can get going early if DH decides to stay and go to the gym. WBC is really convenient to the parks. I have stayed at the Sheraton Vistana before, and although I like it, I think WBC is better, specially for the location and if you stay in a presidential unit.

The worse part of driving in WDW is parking at the TTC to get to MK, as people have pointed out. If you pay 3$ more and valet park at the contemporary you can walk right in!

The worse part of driving in WDW is parking at the TTC to get to MK, as people have pointed out. If you pay 3$ more and valet park at the contemporary you can walk right in!
Is that true?

It is no problem to park at the Contemporary via valet and you can leave your car there for the entire day?

I was under the impression you could do that, but only for 3 hours.

Is that true?

It is no problem to park at the Contemporary via valet and you can leave your car there for the entire day?

We did valet parking for both of our MK days. My brother did also and took midday breaks and were able to come back later in the day with no problems. It is so much easier to do this. Someone gave me that advice on this board and it was the best advice we got. Leaving the parks at night it is chaos and the waits to get on any transportation was awful. We were in our car and back at our house before we would have gotten back to our car at TTC.

We did valet parking for both of our MK days. My brother did also and took midday breaks and were able to come back later in the day with no problems. It is so much easier to do this. Someone gave me that advice on this board and it was the best advice we got. Leaving the parks at night it is chaos and the waits to get on any transportation was awful. We were in our car and back at our house before we would have gotten back to our car at TTC.
Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking.

My understanding was that if you are an offsite guest, parking at the resorts is only something you are suppose to do if you have dinning reservations. Or if you are visiting the resort for some other reason.

I know as a DVC member, we are not suppose to park at the Contemporary/Bay Lake Towers to watch wishes.

Somehow it would seem, to me at least, that what you are doing would get your car towed, if they knew.

When you go into the resort parking lot, do you tell them that you are parking there for Magic Kingdom?

They don't ask. You could be going to a restaurant. The main issue is that if you plan to take a mid-day break then you have to pay twice, unlike the regular parking

When you go into the resort parking lot, do you tell them that you are parking there for Magic Kingdom?

This is not for resort self-parking, they will not let you self-park there unless you have a dining reservation.
This is the valet parking and the truth is as long as you pay the valet fee there are not issues.
They have the keys to your car, so I am not sure what you mean by getting the car towed
The main issue is that if you plan to take a mid-day break then you have to pay twice, unlike the regular parking at TTC

The main issue is that if you plan to take a mid-day break then you have to pay twice, unlike the regular parking at TTC

Actually, one other advantage of doing via valet is that it's good for the day with "in and out" privileges. We've done it where we have parked at the Contemporary, spent the day at MK, gone back to the condo for a while to clean up, then parked at GF or WCC for dinner with the same valet ticket.

For us, the extra money ($3 for the parking + a tip to the valet) is hugely worth it for the time and aggravation saved.

Is that true?

Thanks, but that wasn't what I was asking.

My understanding was that if you are an offsite guest, parking at the resorts is only something you are suppose to do if you have dinning reservations. Or if you are visiting the resort for some other reason.

I know as a DVC member, we are not suppose to park at the Contemporary/Bay Lake Towers to watch wishes.

Somehow it would seem, to me at least, that what you are doing would get your car towed, if they knew.

I'm confused...you weren't asking if you could valet your car and leave it there all day? Time limits are only for self park. Once you pay for valet you can park at any resort all day that has valet. You can come and go as often as you want. You do not need to be a resort guest.

If you call and ask the valet stand they will tell you that you can valet and walk to MK, now you may get a guard who doesn't want you to from what I have read on here(we did not). When I called the valet stand they told me to just tell the gate you are there for drinks or to tour the resort. Valet likes people parking there for any reason b/c they are getting tipped when more people use their services. Technically speaking WDW permits you to tour any resort and valet parking is open up to anyone on or off site. Like I said we had no issues, but I guess if you go in the contemporary and wonder even a little you are touring the resort and thus within the guidelines of using the valet parking for the day. We valeted at every resort that offered it while on vacation and I never had to say anything other than here to valet our car and they waived us through. I'm sure everyone has different experiences though.

Here is what the website says about valet:

The valet parking fee at Walt Disney World resort deluxe hotels is $20. Once paid, however, you can use valet parking for the entire day at any resort that offers it without paying the fee again - show the day's valet receipt at the next resort to avoid being charged again.

Actually, one other advantage of doing via valet is that it's good for the day with "in and out" privileges. We've done it where we have parked at the Contemporary, spent the day at MK, gone back to the condo for a while to clean up, then parked at GF or WCC for dinner with the same valet ticket.

For us, the extra money ($3 for the parking + a tip to the valet) is hugely worth it for the time and aggravation saved.

Wow, I didn't know this!
didn't do a break partly because I didn't want to pay twice (and partly because DH will likely not go back if we leave)
thanks for the tip

I'm confused...you weren't asking if you could valet your car and leave it there all day? Time limits are only for self park. Once you pay for valet you can park at any resort all day that has valet. You can come and go as often as you want. You do not need to be a resort guest.

If you call and ask the valet stand they will tell you that you can valet and walk to MK, now you may get a guard who doesn't want you to from what I have read on here(we did not). When I called the valet stand they told me to just tell the gate you are there for drinks or to tour the resort. Valet likes people parking there for any reason b/c they are getting tipped when more people use their services. Technically speaking WDW permits you to tour any resort and valet parking is open up to anyone on or off site. Like I said we had no issues, but I guess if you go in the contemporary and wonder even a little you are touring the resort and thus within the guidelines of using the valet parking for the day. We valeted at every resort that offered it while on vacation and I never had to say anything other than here to valet our car and they waived us through. I'm sure everyone has different experiences though.
Sorry, to me that means that no you shouldn't be doing this. That valet parking is for the resort, NOT for those trying to avoid the theme park parking lot.

If you have to lie to achieve something, chances are that something is wrong.

Is that true? It is no problem to park at the Contemporary via valet and you can leave your car there for the entire day? I was under the impression you could do that, but only for 3 hours.

When you pay to valet park you are perfectly entitled to park all day and can leave and visit a park if you wish. Nothing wrong with this you have paid for the service and are entitled to us it.

Sorry, to me that means that no you shouldn't be doing this. That valet parking is for the resort, NOT for those trying to avoid the theme park parking lot.

If you have to lie to achieve something, chances are that something is wrong.

If you read what I posted, I said we personally did not have to. Others have reported that they had to do that in other threads and the valet said basically if there is a curmudgeon at the gate to say that. I had called them before our trip to verify b/c I wanted to make sure that the advice I was given here was true and you could valet at CR. We had CM resies one day and the other day we just drove through no problem. We also used the valet services at a few other resorts and were never asked anything other than how can I help you? We are here to valet our car. Ok, have a magical day(or whatever it was they said as they waived us through). So I didn't have to lie to achieve anything.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter