How high is too much for you?

We will go to Disney regardless. It's our happy place and worth every penny but we are dvc and made a 50 yr commitment to Disney.

You seem to be the SDC expert. We are thinking of going, how many days do we need there to fully see it all.....my DS age 8 will be very interested in the history aspect as much as the attractions! You can PM me if you want. Thanks in advance for any advice!

PM sent! :)

So for my family is more of a question of "value". Do we feel we are getting a good product for the price.

For us, the answer is no, not really. Now we still enjoy disney and since we are dvc'ers we are able to go fairly inexpensively (well about as inexpensive as can get).
I know this will go over about as well as a bunch of lead ballons but we just feel there are some really great vacation baragins out there.

We just returned from Europe, now discounting the airfare if I compare
1) hotel was better and cheaper
2) food was better and cheaper except maybe in London. sorry my UK dissers.
3) just as much activities for my kids to do and once we got museum passes, cost was no more than disney park tickets.

And I spent no more than I spend at disney. the airfare unfortunately is a killer.

Next year we're planning on cruising which now offers so much.

Now I don't have little ones, which may play a part but after researching tons of vacation options I'm discovering there is a whole world that fits into my vacation budget.

Disney still holds a special place because of memories but it is no longer our "go to without question" vacation and the prices just make it more ridiculous.

With the ticket increase now announced, I was thinking about this earlier.

How high will ticket and resort prices have to go before you and your family are priced out of vacationing at Disney? Have you already been priced out?

For some, it comes down to cost vs. perceived value.

Or does price not matter and you will pay whatever they charge, because it is Disney?

For us it will be when the value no longer seems good for what we are getting. Even with the increase (and prices are increasing everywhere), the cost is similar to any other vacation we looked at as far as lodging and amusement parks. We do vacation elsewhere and it is very expensive no matter where you go. As of now, $4K for a week at Disney with my family is still worth the cost.

I would be more likely to skip due to the crowds that seem to be building continually, including the normal slow seasons. The CM's are always excellent, the parks clean and just being able to detach from everything is pretty nice. We are going this summer and will most likely be taking a break for a while due to not pulling from school and not wanting to deal with the crowds. Will go back when we can hit mid/late October again. Of course, I wouldn't count out a side trip to Disney should the opportunity present itself. Did I mention we have relatives in FL.:rolleyes1

When comparing WDW to some of our other vacation destinations we still feel we get a lot of "bang for our buck" in Disney.

We got home last night from 3 nights in Destin, Florida. We spent almost $1000 for 3 nights one bedroom ocean front accommodations. We spent another $1000 on gas, food,activities, and souvenirs. A weekend at the beach cost us $2000.

This coming thanksgiving we are doing 7 nights in Disney for just $800 more! For $2800 we have 7 nights at Riverside, tickets, and free dining. Don't get me wrong we will still end up spending more money once we arrive on gas, tips, souvenirs. But still to have 7 nights , tickets, and dining all for just $800 more than a weekend at the beach really puts the price of a WDW vacation in perspective for my family.

Several of our other recent vacations were almost as much as well. 3 nights in San Antonio cost us $1800, 3 nights in Grapevine,Texas (1 night at Gaylord Texan and 2 nights at Great Wolf Lodge) ran us a bit over $2000. 4 nights at Big Cedar Lodge near Branson last Thanksgiving was also around $2000. Seems we can't get by under $2000 for a weekend getaway. $2800 for Thanksgiving week in Disney almost seems like a bargain actually!

I think it reached too high a few years ago. The cost increases don't seem to be keeping up with the upkeep of the parks and resorts. There is still the need for new monorails, still the need to fix DHS (or make it a 1/2 day charge to go there), major work that needs to be put into Future World, etc..

If these things were in the pipeline and then can be used to justify the raising of all the prices, then at least I'd figure it was reasonable to raise something, since there are expenses. But for Magic+? Sorry, I don't see them charging more and then (supposedly not but come on) selling your info to make more money as a good use of money. At all.

Most of the resorts need work, and not DVC, to come near what they're charging for them. Especially when you consider the Swan and Dolphin are only slightly more than a 'Value' but a whole lot nicer. So there's no Magical Express..I'm actually ok with that having experienced it.

It pains me to say but it seems like WDW is the redheaded stepchild and it gets a new bathroom while every other park (DL, TDL, etc) gets all these great things. Notice the whole MyMagic+ isn't being rolled out elsewhere. Even to test market.

A trip to WDW is no longer the semi affordable treat it once was when I was growing up. I only have to think that at some point, attendance will drop due to costs/lack of real discounts. Then the prices will have no choice but to come down. A whole new ticket pricing strategy perhaps? Back to the old parkhoppers without the extra fees for everything?

People with creativity and good common sense being in charge? One can only hope.

Not priced out yet. We'll be driving rather than flying this year. We won't be doing the deluxe dining plan this time either.

We will start going less often if they continue to raise prices and continue to add very little to the parks. New Fantasy Land is the best they could do compared to what other parks are doing? Turning Test Track into not quite Tron? They can't clean or update the Soarin film? They can't do something remotely new with Backlot Tour? Pearl Harbor and CRT monitors still. Broken Yeti. The list goes on yet they keep chargin more.

For me, it's all about perspective.

It cost DH and I $42 to see the 2.5 hr Star Trek movie in an IMAX theater last week. So, the way I look at it, spending $58/day for 12+ hours in a Disney theme park (based on the increased price of a 5-day ticket), is a relative bargain.
What theatre is that!!?:scared1: We pay about $7.50 for 3-D,and $10.50 for IMAX.That being said,I think Disney has been "price-gouging"for the last 5-7 years,and getting away with it.Not saying we won't pay it,but surely not as often as we had.They are getting besides themselves in my opinion!;) GREED is alive and well in the land Walt Built....so sad.

Our IMAX movies can be $25 too...in nyc. I live outside manhattan and reg movies are about 12 3d is 17

I will always go to Disney, no matter what.

Sometimes I wonder though if I will be able to afford it. What will it cost for a one-day ticket in 25 years? :confused3 Yikes.

I went in 2007 and upgraded to the WL and paid for the dining plan. I believe the WL was $179/night and the dining plan was $38 pp/nt and included an appetizer and gratuity for the TS meal.

I bought 6 day hoppers from UCT a couple years ago as I was planning to go with a friend. The friend had to cancel, so the trip was cancelled, but now I had tickets. I had a last minute free offsite condo dumped into my lap this past December so I took my passes and gleefully went!

First thing I did was upgrade the ticket to an AP. As my trip wore on, I questioned the wisdom of that.

I remember thinking "Wow, prices have really gone up since 2007." I went to Sunshine Seasons where I paid over $13 for a pork chop and some mashed potatoes. No, that didn't include a drink. Over $10 for a cheeseburger and fries? Are you kidding me? And now, because I have that AP, I am thinking of taking another trip since that is how I justified upgrading to the AP in the first place. Looking at resort costs with currently available AP rates. Even with the AP discount, the WL is over $240/nt in August?!?

So while I have been shocked by the price increases, I will go again this year, maybe twice, since I have that AP. But it will probably be a few more years before I use that 2nd 6 day hopper I have pinned to my bulletin board. I've been getting into cruising lately, and even with the single supplement, it is often a better value.

:scratchin
Well, I will say I have been priced out of family vacations at WDW.

For myself, I would happily pay double what they charge to go to WDW. I love the place that much. ::yes:::blush:

My kids are older and I cannot take them out of school anymore. Our last family trip was over Spring Break and Easter. We stayed offsite to cut costs and I still spent double what we normally would have spent staying onsite during a non-peak season. Food and tickets were a huge chunk of money. We even drove rather than fly to cut costs. Family Disney vacations have been discontinued for us. That was even before the recent price increase!

WDW is my happy place and I will continue to go, but I will go solo for short trips from now on.

jgh said:
I will always go to Disney, no matter what.

Sometimes I wonder though if I will be able to afford it. What will it cost for a one-day ticket in 25 years? :confused3 Yikes.

Im afraid to think about it!

Spring Break 2013 Family of 5

Airfare $2000
Beach Front Condo $1900
Rental Van and Gas $600
Grocery Store Run $300
Eating Out $250
Clearwater Aquarium $125
Adventure Golf $100
Shopping/Ice Cream $250

This vacation was spent mainly on the beach or in the pool. Taking it "easy" for around $5500.

Add $1000 bucks to that and I can do Disney, onsight, DDP, so for an extra 175 per day I have access to the World. Expensive....yes.....worth it......absolutely.

Since Disney is the only place I ever want to vacation, I would have to say that no matter the price i will keep going. At some point we may have to reconsider staying at a cheaper hotel but for now we will still be booking a deluxe. Im just a Disney addict!

first let me say that I LOVE going to disney....I LOVE living so close to it, on any given weekend I can hop in my car and go. but I do think the prices are getting crazy. In the long run, I would rather spend my hard earned money on a tropical vacation, bc lets be real, there is only so many times you can visit the same place before you want to let your kids experience something new......let them see other parts of our world.
I do think that they charge way to much for some things....like soda, which they do not pay for, they make billions each year...knock a dollar or two off a soda and burger, and pay the employees better $$$...again this is just my opionion, and you know what they say about those :lmao:
but my love for them will live on :)

I love it there but it's getting too expensive. I used to be DVC and go a couple times a year but sold out and now just rent points and go every other year or so.

it just pays to stay longer for us and get better tix deals ..
Ill continue to go regardless of the increases, but will likely just plan differently, maybe :rotfl2:
I enjoy it, the value is there for me as its my "happy Place" thats priceless....
cant say the same for the dh or ds anymore tho...:upsidedow

A movie night out for us, family of three runs me over 100, easily.....

I've always been taught you can't put a price tag on happiness.

It doesn't matter how much the price goes up, as long as we all FEEL the same way when we are there we will pay it. We don't go every year as we only get 1 big vacation a year and there are many other places to take my children to see, however none have given us the same feeling as Disney..yet. I see every other year from here on out.

we are just about at our limit. Previously we have gone 3-4 times a year but with ticket hike and airfare, we could go to someplace new for the same or less. I think we're down to once a year now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter