How high is too much for you?

Disney and the beach starting when the kids were three years old. We're still going to Disney every other year but branch out to other places in the off year. DC three years ago. The Southwest last year. And we're throwing in Boston and Philadelphia over Fall Break this year.

My wife and I thought our family vacations were too limited in location when we were growing up. I don't know what our kids will think of our different destinations when they grow up.

Disney is expensive. We used to get non expiring tickets. You could buy a ten day for substantially less than two five tickets. This will be our first trip without them. (Still have several non expiring waterpark days left.) Now it is a push. Resort rates do not seem to have been rising as fast. Probably due to the easy substitution of offsite locations.

We will continue to go with the kids every other year for the next few years. It is a place where we can have fun together, even including my teeneage son. And it is fun to watch the kids progress through the attractions. Moving from kiddie rides to too big for kiddie rides. Being fascinated with Tiki Birds to being too old for the Tiki Birds to wanting to see them once again.

Shortly they will be on their own and not too far after that we will have retired. And since we plan to retire somewher in the Naples/Ft Meyers area, we will be eligible for Florida residential discounts and Disney will be somewhat reasonable again..

With the ticket increase now announced, I was thinking about this earlier.

How high will ticket and resort prices have to go before you and your family are priced out of vacationing at Disney? Have you already been priced out?

For some, it comes down to cost vs. perceived value.

Or does price not matter and you will pay whatever they charge, because it is Disney?

We're close, tickets for both DBF and I, 5/day hoppers, pre-price increase was $636.88 by UT. That's a mighty chunk of change right there. Add in the room at a value for $635 (AoA, Ariel-freak here, haha) and suddenly we're nearly $1500 before plane tickets or food or souvenirs. Kind of ridiculous, if you ask me.

Disney is... magical, but their prices aren't. Almost makes you wish you knew a CM or military in the fam to help with the prices.

With the ticket increase now announced, I was thinking about this earlier.

How high will ticket and resort prices have to go before you and your family are priced out of vacationing at Disney? Have you already been priced out?

For some, it comes down to cost vs. perceived value.

Or does price not matter and you will pay whatever they charge, because it is Disney?

We just got back from Europe, and there's no doubt in my mind now that Disney is a bargain. Rooms much smaller than Disney's and food and attractions cost were outrageous. I estimate that an 11 day trip to France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany cost around $17,600+. $3600 Airline, $5000for 9 days of hotels, $3000 Entertainment, $3500 Food, $2000 for transportation, train, car rental, cabs, and no more than about $500 spent on souvenirs. This doesn't include the probably $2000 spent on getting ready to go. My point is, we had a great time, saw many incredible things, but comparing entertainment values, WDW to me is a deal.

That value is almost gone for us. We are frustrated with the constant increases and Disney pouring so much money into DVC. It almost seems like they are trying to turn it into a park like in Asia where it is always packed. There are getting to be too many hotels and not enough parks.

We used to go every 2 to 3 years while a couple were closer. In between we vacationed else where.

I don't foresee Disney pricing us out unless we take a cut in income. We have visited other amusement parks and I don't like the, as much as Disney. I don't like thrill rides and Disney gives me a lot to do. In the other parks I sit and wait for DH when he rides.

I don't find the Disney hotel prices for moderates to be outrageous. When DH and I visit DD at college in the western part of the state, hotel rooms range from $150 to $180 per night for an average hotel room. At Disney you get great theming and grounds.

I get what you're saying to some extent. I am new to Disney and about fell out of my chair looking at the resort prices. Then I noticed how inexpensive I thought other offsite fabulous options are. So, IMO Orlando as a whole is incredibly inexpensive and Disney is very, very expensive. So I compare based on location. I don't compare Disney prices to NYC prices. I'm comparing Disney prices to other Orlando options. A two bedroom two bathroom condo at a really nice development less than 10 minutes from Disney is less than a Disney value.

I'm not real sure what I think of the value of the tickets and food. I'll have a better feeling after my trip.

That value is almost gone for us. We are frustrated with the constant increases and Disney pouring so much money into DVC. It almost seems like they are trying to turn it into a park like in Asia where it is always packed. There are getting to be too many hotels and not enough parks.

DVC gives us opportunities to do varying activities during our extended vacations there. We spend a good deal of the vacations, now, at the resorts, or DtD, doing non-park things. It works, for now, with the kids being young and willing to do the pools rather than the parks.

The resorts are quite stunning, in comparison to some that we've stayed in while on other trips. I suppose it's just another way of vacationing. That being said, if Disney continues to offer the low prices PAP to DVC members, I think we'll HAVE to go to the parks! That was an unbelievable deal that couldn't be passed up.

Last year I went to Florence Italy instead of WDW for a week. I stayed in a 4 star, two story suite on the Arno River with a view of Michelangelo's David out the two story window for a little more than half the cost of a Club Level room in a Deluxe Resort. We chose one city and a driving day and tour of the Tuscan countryside instead of trying to do four countries. You could also spend a year in Tuscany and not see everything. It was a fantastic vacation and the total cost was the same as Disney/Universal for the same period of time. There other options I just can't pass up. Also, our authentic Italian TS meals were less than Disney options.

I get what you're saying to some extent. I am new to Disney and about fell out of my chair looking at the resort prices. Then I noticed how inexpensive I thought other offsite fabulous options are. So, IMO Orlando as a whole is incredibly inexpensive and Disney is very, very expensive. So I compare based on location. I don't compare Disney prices to NYC prices. I'm comparing Disney prices to other Orlando options. A two bedroom two bathroom condo at a really nice development less than 10 minutes from Disney is less than a Disney value.

I'm not real sure what I think of the value of the tickets and food. I'll have a better feeling after my trip.

When we first went to Orlando we stayed off site. We didn't enjoy it as much as on site. I have 2 sisters who love the hotels offsite but to DH and I, it takes away our relaxation driving. DH drives 2+ hours a day round trip to work so he likes a break while on vacation.

I also live in an expensive part of the country so I don't have the price shock other posters who live in lower cost areas feel.

I almost got married there. It definitely holds a special place in my heart. :love:

As for the paint needing maintenance, I know for a fact that they keep a crew on in the winter (January to mid-March) to do maintenance on the park, including painting any areas that need touch-ups. So, depending on when the pp visited the park, it could be that it was close to when the park was closing for the year and therefore may have needed the paint touch-ups. If it was earlier in the year, the PP could have mistaken a building that was purposefully "run-down". Some buildings were built to recreate buildings that would have existed in the 1880's, and therefore aren't painted every year. But regardless, they DO keep the park extremely clean, the park often gets higher friendliness markings than even Disney, and a lot of the "run-down" look is on purpose to keep the feel of a small city in the 1880's.

But enough about Silver Dollar City. I know this is a board for Disney. But I may have to go to SDCfans tonight to get my fix of Silver Dollar City admiration since I'm obviously on the wrong board for that. :rotfl:

You seem to be the SDC expert. We are thinking of going, how many days do we need there to fully see it all.....my DS age 8 will be very interested in the history aspect as much as the attractions! You can PM me if you want. Thanks in advance for any advice!

When we first went to Orlando we stayed off site. We didn't enjoy it as much as on site. I have 2 sisters who love the hotels offsite but to DH and I, it takes away our relaxation driving. DH drives 2+ hours a day round trip to work so he likes a break while on vacation.

I also live in an expensive part of the country so I don't have the price shock other posters who live in lower cost areas feel.

I think where one is from does make a difference. I'm from Kansas City, a fairly inexpensive place to live. My husband is a corporate lawyer and makes a nice living but is paid commensurate with other corporate lawyers in KC -- not NY or Boston wages for a corporate lawyer. Big difference. I do like to stay at nice places when we travel but we do compare prices and evaluate. In my mind I'm thinking I can stay at the Four Seasons in Maui for the same price as the GF or Poly. But who knows, maybe I'll be Disneyfied like so many others after my trip and come to think its worth it. However, I doubt it.

We have decided not to renew. I'm so sad. We live four miles away and the annual passes for the four of us is just too high.

We may go to seasonal and then get the water parks and more annual pass.... even then though... ugh.

I guess IMO it is what you want to pay for... we are newlyweds with no children, and are from Florida... we only go seasonally, and purchase only the FL Resident special rates... we rarely eat anything but snacks and drinks. We always stay on site in the campgrounds, so we may have a place to make meals. So we save where we can to afford to go...

I understand the concerns, but I don't go to Nieman Marcus and expect Wal-Mart pricing, and I don't go to Disney expecting a local TP price... Friendly CM, clean parks, clean bathrooms, and good food is what I go for... On the flip side, Universal is just about the same price, witht their increase, has bored looking workers, good food choices as well, and alcohol... and really the price increase was not that much, and I would go as far to say that many budget for this... No amount is too much for me!

I don't know how the average family affords it...we are going in a couple of weeks with my stepson, wife and their 7 year old...we are paying for their room at POFQ and their passes, which I bought a few weeks ago from UCT. Without us paying I am 100% sure it would never happen. We are spending their inheritance, with them as precious memories!

And speaking of expensive, have you noticed the price of beef, hamburger, etc. At the grocery store lately?

As the prices go up the more I begin to think that this may be my last year renewing my annual pass. It has been mentioned here many times, but while Disney is still a great experience, the quality is not any better with the higher prices. Yes, they added new fantasy land and guess what....it sucks. Maybe it will be better with the Seven Dwarfs Mine ride, but what they have now is lame. The rides, while classic, are beginning to show their wear and food quality is becoming an issue. I still love Disney and I enjoy the experience, but it is beginning to make less and less fiscal sense.

We still feel that we get a high return for the amount of money we pay. There are only the two of us now, so not quite as expensive as a family and I understand where those folks are coming from.

I think where one is from does make a difference. I'm from Kansas City, a fairly inexpensive place to live. My husband is a corporate lawyer and makes a nice living but is paid commensurate with other corporate lawyers in KC -- not NY or Boston wages for a corporate lawyer. Big difference. I do like to stay at nice places when we travel but we do compare prices and evaluate. In my mind I'm thinking I can stay at the Four Seasons in Maui for the same price as the GF or Poly. But who knows, maybe I'll be Disneyfied like so many others after my trip and come to think its worth it. However, I doubt it.

+1

This is very true. Being from California, our cost of living is higher than most other places and therefore our wages are higher. Things cost more here, so we're paid accordingly (somewhat.) However, Disney or other vacation destinations are not basing their prices on the cost of living of where you live.

So here, where the average technology position pays easily $150k+ in Silicon Valley/Bay Area, a 10 PH ticket ~$400 per person only represents less than a day's worth of work. Similarly a night's stay at a Deluxe resort, studio room at rack rate, is also less than a day's worth of work.

Realistically, for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) 10 nights in a deluxe, 4x 10 day PH, 4 round trip flights, plus food, would be less than 1 month's of a single NET wages. The price of a soda at WDW cheaper than what I see at restaurants in San Francisco.

A month's of wages is still a lot of money, don't get me wrong, there's still the high mortgage payments someone in California has to make, but WDW is probably going to be easier on the wallet for someone from California (Bay Area, LA metro), NYC, DC metro and probably a few other higher wage areas. And Disney and other places will not adjust for that.

Had to reply... As prices have increased over the years, discounts have become small and really not worth it to purchase AP's....

Always said what does Disney do to multiple returners (. 40+ trip people) senior citizens taking their grandchildren... Nothing...they give the discounts to the locals ... Mind you I'm not begrudging Floridians...

We buy an annual pass to use for 3 trips....yeah, we get hammered at the original outlay , but the next 2 trips are sort of free ( no ticket purchase) but the AP room discount is not amounting to enough to justify the extra trips... And we would never stay off site...

Had to reply... As prices have increased over the years, discounts have become small and really not worth it to purchase AP's....

Always said what does Disney do to multiple returners (. 40+ trip people) senior citizens taking their grandchildren... Nothing...they give the discounts to the locals ... Mind you I'm not begrudging Floridians...

We buy an annual pass to use for 3 trips....yeah, we get hammered at the original outlay , but the next 2 trips are sort of free ( no ticket purchase) but the AP room discount is not amounting to enough to justify the extra trips... And we would never stay off site...

I understand where you are coming from....though I am a Floridian I find myself using the FL resident discount over the AP discount more often. The store discounts mean nothing to me as I rarely by a bunch of Disney stuff (outside of t-shirts for the trip and a pins for the kids).

It would be great if the implemented a Disney Points system...each time you visited, went to the parks you earned points....the more points you earn the more of a discount you get on your next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter