How fast it all changed.

I had mono a couple of years ago. Knocked me down for six weeks. Of course, I was 44 at the time, so your son will rebound more quickly. But please make him take it easy. Mono is serious stuff.

I had mono a couple of years ago. Knocked me down for six weeks. Of course, I was 44 at the time, so your son will rebound more quickly. But please make him take it easy. Mono is serious stuff.

I am TRYING!!! He is diving me nuts. Because he's bored. He's happy to stay home from school :rolleyes: but is having friends in for an hour or so every day because he's stir crazy. I keep yelling down the stairs - "he's contagious, don't go near him!!" He loves that.

I had what my doctor termed the worst case of mono he'd ever seen when I was 18. He was so worried I was dying he stopped by on his way home every night to check in. Which freaked my parents out. It took me three months to recover and five years for my immune system to kick back in. DS's is mild from what I can see but I'm still being hyper vigilant with him.

@rodeo65

I am so glad to see you keeping us up to date. I am sorry your DS is sick, but glad to hear that have been able to move forward with the purge and the move.

Happy holidays to your entire family!

Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. I am sending positive thoughts for a peaceful end to this year and a wish for a satisfying new year to rebuild and replenish you and yours.

Whirlwind!!

The house was completed Wednesday night. The last boxes and bags removed to my parents', to donation, to auction and to the dump. We have completely moved to my parents' as of Wednesday night. Four days ago. My idiot neighbour went out of his way to accost the movers, painters and contractors around last week asking "what's the house like inside?" and "so has it sold yet?" I will NOT miss that - nosy goof! Thursday the stager and cleaners were at the house until around 10pm from the look of it. The house listed Friday and had two showings that evening. Six showings yesterday. We had an offer last night and an open house scheduled today.

We signed back the conditional offer (conditions are inspections and sale of theirs) this morning with some changes and the family has accepted. So it is now conditionally sold at 99% of list, my agent's office is representing them so highly motivated to get their sold within the conditional time frame and we can continue to market and work my house hopefully having another offer come through that will force the first to firm up or be a better offer itself.

And the unpacking...

Everything was sooooo fast the final few days that I can't find a bunch of stuff. Of course. Lots to do here but I'm settled, my room and sitting room are done and even have some Christmas decoration up. DD has been busy having her friends in all weekend so hasn't done much in her room or our bathroom. DS is feeling much better, plans to go to school tomorrow and back to dance Thursday, although light lessons to start. He's really sad to have missed the comp this weekend, but there is another local one in late January, Quebec in February, Chicago in March and a big Toronto one in April that our studio hosts so a lot coming up!

I met with DD's principal Friday and we will all meet tomorrow to try to salvage her semester and get her back on track to move forward and not miss any credits. Moving along...

Glad to hear things are really moving forward for you. How wonderful that you got an offer on the house already! Thank you for keeping your DIS family updated, I think of you often and send silent prayers your way

Kind of loved "I will NOT miss that - nosy goof!" :rotfl:

I feel like I totally know him. :drinking1
---------------

Glad to hear that things are going smoothly with the sale rodeo. And happy that your son is doing better.

Think of you often. :hug:

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! I thank all of you who have continued to follow and respond through this horrible year. I am really looking forward to seeing the tail end of 2018!

We've pretty much settled in at my parents' house and everyone seems to be adjusting fairly well. There are always challenges in moving and definitely in moving in with parents/grandparents with the differences in the way everyone does things. I think my parents anticipated us being around most of the time and while I did tell them this wasn't the case - between school, jobs, training, friends and boyfriend/girlfriend the kids are rarely home. I think that part is less work for them than they expected, and aside from my dad always wondering where everyone is and when they'll be home, I don't think their day to day lives are majorly impacted. Which was how i anted it. I didn't want our moving in to completely destroy their normally peaceful days. They also seem to enjoy their grand-dogs quite a bit. They carry on conversations with them all day. The beagle is completely attached to both of my parents and the minute one of them sits down she is immediately in whoever's lap is available.

We're keeping quite a few of our old traditions. I had planned to try to make things a little different this year but the kids seem to want things to stay the same, so aside from the change in location, we're doing our usual Christmas Eve - finger foods, finishing wrapping and watching White Christmas. I'm attempting to make DH's honey garlic ribs for tonight. I've never made them but watched him enough that I can hopefully pull it off. I wasn't going to but DD insisted it wouldn't be Christmas Eve without them. Tomorrow I'm making the same bacon and egg casserole and baked pecan french toast I make every year. Again - insisted upon. We will go visit the cemetery after breakfast, and then have our traditional Christmas dinner. So pretty much everything as we've always done but without DH. I am just hoping to get through it.

The conditions on the house sale were removed about two weeks ago and it will close at the end of February. The final furniture pieces will be removed for auction on Dec 27. Some were left in the home for staging. Everything else has been removed now. So, a few more weeks and the last part of our home together will be finished. Bittersweet, I guess. I will be glad to have it finalised but also sad. I will also not miss nosy goof. Captain Entitled used our driveway for his Christmas party last week. He's just the kind who'd slip and fall in our driveway while using it without permission and then sue me. There was a whole issue he had with DH about using our driveway so I'm sure he was just gleefully telling his guests to park there since we've moved out. I'f I'd been home and caught him I'd have made him move them.

Last edited:
It has been a horrible year for you. However, you have amazed me time and again, how strong you and your children have been. You’ve pulled together as a family and leaning on each other. It will never be the same without your DH, but you will get through it with your old traditions and some new ones. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

You are incredibly strong and resilient. Your children are very lucky to have you. I hope there is a little joy for you this Christmas. And peace.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you rodeo65. You have continued to be a strong woman, a real role model for your children. You have all faced so much this past year, I am hoping that 2019 is a much better one for you. I think your continuing some traditions, such as the ribs, finger foods, watching White Christmas,making the same breakfast tomorrow etc is a very good thing. You have all been through so many changes already, it's a good thing to keep some of the old cherished traditions alive. I am sure your ribs will be delicious, and I hope you report back to tell us if they were (you can pm me the recipe if you ever find the time, please). May God Bless and keep you and your family safe. Joy and Peace to you and yours. Lynn

Merry Christmas dear Rodeo to you and your family. I sincerely thank you (always) especially today for continuing to let us support you from all over. Always know we do! God Bless You!

Thinking of you also Rodeo - hope this New Year is being kind to you and your family. Wishing you nothing but happiness and love

I didn't realise how long since I've checked in here...hope everyone is well.

The kids and I continue to move along...We celebrated the first of DH's birthdays without him last week...we visited the cemetery (thankfully there was not a snowstorm like today) and got a small cake - carrot, his fave. DS is coming back to himself...I noticed it because his dance partner's mom pointed out he laughs and smiles a lot more than since they first met in September...made me think about it and I said they didn't actually meet him then that was who he was due to what he was dealing with. DD has found a therapist she connects with so that is good also. She started her semester well and is keeping up with her workload and not skipping classes. And plans to return to dance also next week. All going in the right direction.

We continue to be tested - we lost my uncle a couple of weeks ago. Same cancer as DH and my dad is taking that pretty hard. It was his "baby" brother. And my mom is currently in the middle of testing to see what the recently discovered 10cm mass on her kidney is, so that is hanging right now.

I do plan to take the kids to Florida for March break if things are stable with my mom. We have not had a vacation in five years since DH hated to travel, so we're all excited about that! And then also some travel for competitions upcoming...Montreal this weekend and Chicago at the end of March - definitely our share of cold travel to go with the warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!