How far can you go with Uber?

dedex13

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip the week before Christmas and was wondering if I would be able to take an Uber from the Hard Rock early evening (probably 12/20) to my parents' home on Merritt Island? It's about 55 miles/one-hour drive. I was able to get a cost estimate from the website, but I'm not actually sure if they will actually take someone that far or if I'd have to wait forever for someone to pick me up who was willing to go that far.

I am planning a trip the week before Christmas and was wondering if I would be able to take an Uber from the Hard Rock early evening (probably 12/20) to my parents' home on Merritt Island? It's about 55 miles/one-hour drive. I was able to get a cost estimate from the website, but I'm not actually sure if they will actually take someone that far or if I'd have to wait forever for someone to pick me up who was willing to go that far.
I know they will take people to port canaveral from the Disney area so you should be good.

As long as we are talking Uber, we are staying offsite, and will use the hotel shuttle as able, but Uber will likely be used frequently. Where do they drop off and pick up passengers at Universal? Anywhere you want? Or is there a designated spot?

As long as we are talking Uber, we are staying offsite, and will use the hotel shuttle as able, but Uber will likely be used frequently. Where do they drop off and pick up passengers at Universal? Anywhere you want? Or is there a designated spot?
Drop off and pickup zones for City Walk and the Parks are the same and there is a designated area ... kind of between the two parking decks. It's the same area private cars drop off passengers. Not sure what they've set up for Volcano Bay just yet.

For Universal resorts they simply drop off and pick up at the front entrance area.

I know they will take people to port canaveral from the Disney area so you should be good.
General response

There is no official limit, at least not for Uber. But you request a driver based on a starting and finishing address. So drivers not willing or able to complete your trip won't bother making themselves available ... at least in practice. Based on my own experience, just make sure you are clear about your destination with the driver before you get in and start the ride.

The designated drop off by CityWalk is a bit of hike compared to getting dropped off at HRH and walking through to the parks. It's also neat to check out the hotel. One time, we dropped off at RPR and then took the water taxi. The resorts are beautiful and have restaurants so you could feasibly be there to eat or tour. Three separate drop offs this last visit and no one questioned why we were at the hotel.

Oh, one more thing...I heard Uber cannot come to the airport. Is that true?
My understanding is that MCO to your hotel has a special booking and costs more than the usual base fare. That is not true in reverse. Drop off at the airport is based on the usual rate. We took Uber (or maybe it was Lyft) to the airport and it was easy peasy.

My understanding is that MCO to your hotel has a special booking and costs more than the usual base fare. That is not true in reverse. Drop off at the airport is based on the usual rate. We took Uber (or maybe it was Lyft) to the airport and it was easy peasy.
That's correct. Sorry to not mention that. There's a surcharge on MCO pickups. It's still cheaper than a cab, but not as big a difference as in the other direction when it's like half of what a cab costs.

That was the deal Uber and Lyft struck with the MCO Authority to get permission to pick up at the airport. They charge licensed taxis and limo/hire car services a surcharge as well, if anyone was wondering. This is not just MCO either. Most airports do the same or similar.

Thanks for all the info and tips. I decided to take the Super Shuttle to/from MCO. There are four of us and round trip was only $92 ($23 each) to our hotel. It's a "shared ride" but we don't care.

At the big parking garage for city walk and the themeparks.

Oh, one more thing...I heard Uber cannot come to the airport. Is that true?

They've always been able to drop off at the airport but previously only one level of service could pick up. As far as I know that has changed or the change is about to be enacted.

Regarding Uber at MCO. I know someone who was going from MCO to Port Canaveral this past weekend. As of Saturday, the only level of Uber service was the more expensive level (Black, I think?). An Uber from MCO to PC would have cost him $150. Instead he took a taxi from MCO to a nearby gas station for $10, plus tip. Then took Uber from the gas station to PC. That Uber trip cost him $50. Just a tip if you are going a long distance from the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter