How are we not more outraged about these shootings?

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I agree. It's definitely better to be mature than immature - and measured than flying off the handle.
It has to do with how totally spun up and excited the police officer sounds on the tape. Once again, this was a traffic stop.
It shocked me that a woman with a man dying next to her, a sweet child in the back seat and a loaded gun aimed right at her was able to defuse the situation to the extent that she did. She gave him some time to start composing himself. In this situation, she was the measured and mature one.

It is not pleasant when these things happen. But every situation is different. For me I need to step back and hear what happened and let things be investigated. As time goes by other things start coming out. Officers really need to be very careful. You don't hear about all things. There was an incident here where a motorcycle cop was on the freeway and was literally hit by a person on purpose. My husband drove by the scene after it happened and they caught the guy quite a ways a way. Also had to different officers shot here on two different streets where on the streets trying to get through the mess. One man was shot for the man and woman who stole his truck. The one officer was killed at the motel. Then it was about 4 miles from there they shot the other one who died. And then shot the person who they stole the truck from who did live. And it took them a while to find out where they went to which was about 4o minutes away. I get upset with all these things. I pray for all of them.
Police officers have an exceptionally difficult and exceptionally dangerous job. I can see why police officers would be on high alert. I think it's true that we don't have all the details.

It has to do with how totally spun up and excited the police officer sounds on the tape. Once again, this was a traffic stop.
It shocked me that a woman with a man dying next to her, a sweet child in the back seat and a loaded gun aimed right at her was able to defuse the situation to the extent that she did. She gave him some time to start composing himself. In this situation, she was the measured and mature one.

I have a hard time keeping up with the moving target of your comments. I think we're agreeing on most points, but the early comment was directed at the effectiveness of a body camera in this situation. Now it's moved to the value of maturity.

In case I haven't made it clear, I'm pro-maturity.

So sad for all involved but most if not all of these shootings could be prevented if people would do what the police tell them. I do not ever understand why someone thinks it is ok to fight with a police officer. Do what they tell you and then get a lawyer. Then contact the news to tell them how you were mistreated. You can't do any of this if you are dead because you tried to fight a police officer who is pretty much guaranteed to have a gun.

Hard to get a lawyer and contact the media if you are dead.

I have a hard time keeping up with the moving target of your comments. I think we're agreeing on most points, but the early comment was directed at the effectiveness of a body camera in this situation. Now it's moved to the value of maturity.

In case I haven't made it clear, I'm pro-maturity.
Easy peasy.
Body cameras assist in keeping somewhat of a record, less he said she said. (Better than no record at all)
Maturity helps people avoid rapidly escalating a situation as a first resort.

For now all I know is this was a traffic stop for a broken tail light. Based on the calm demenor of the girlfriend after watching her boyfriend be shot I can't imagine there was much fighting and attitude with the officer before hand. Not that attitude means you should be shot either. On top of all that it sounds like they did everything right. This was a routine traffic stop. Nobody should die during a routine traffic stop period.

Also 1 shot is an accident 4 is deliberate.

The Louisiana shooting was too close to what happened here in NYC. Yes maybe some attidue was thrown around but selling CDs should not end in a shooting. There is nothing violent about selling CDs. Write a ticket and move along. The more video that comes out on that one the more disturbing it gets. It seems like some of these officers think the mear presence of a weapon means they should shoot to kill.

Easy peasy.
Body cameras assist in keeping somewhat of a record, less he said she said.
Maturity helps people avoid rapidly escalating a situation as a first resort.

Agreed. That's why I said the camera helps after the fact - it wouldn't have helped this victim unless you think what the officer did was intentional.

I'm very pro-body cams. But I don't believe in taking every tragedy and trying to make a claim that every agenda I might support would have saved a life just to advance the agenda.

Reports were that she was TOLD to stay away from her boyfriend. She did what she could. Which was document it so the world would know. She wasn't allowed to comfort him.

She was allowed to talk to a live stream on Facebook but not allowed to talk to a dying man next to her? I didn't hear those instructions anywhere on the video posted and honestly I don't really believe that, sorry. She was able to move her hands around enough to get her phone and start the live stream, you're really saying she couldn't say ANYTHING to her boyfriend?

For now all I know is this was a traffic stop for a broken tail light. Based on the calm demenor of the girlfriend after watching her boyfriend be shot I can't imagine there was much fighting and attitude with the officer before hand. Not that attitude means you should be shot either. On top of all that it sounds like they did everything right. This was a routine traffic stop. Nobody should die during a routine traffic stop period.

Also 1 shot is an accident 4 is deliberate.

The Louisiana shooting was too close to what happened here in NYC. Yes maybe some attidue was thrown around but selling CDs should not end in a shooting. There is nothing violent about selling CDs. Write a ticket and move along. The more video that comes out on that one the more disturbing it gets. It seems like some of these officers think the mear presence of a weapon means they should shoot to kill.
Threatening people with a gun is violent.

She was allowed to talk to a live stream on Facebook but not allowed to talk to a dying man next to her? I didn't hear those instructions anywhere on the video posted and honestly I don't really believe that, sorry. She was able to move her hands around enough to get her phone and start the live stream, you're really saying she couldn't say ANYTHING to her boyfriend?
Sigh. We get that you don't approve of how she handled the situation.
Still, she chose to be the calm one, talking to the officer, trying to defuse a horrible traffic stop. Her 4 year old is alive, and so is she. I think she did the best she could.

Sigh. We get that you don't approve of how she handled the situation.
Still, she chose to be the calm one, talking to the officer, trying to defuse a horrible traffic stop. Her 4 year old is alive, and so is she. I think she did the best she could.

Thanks for your opinion. Sorry to have bothered you with mine. Sigh.

Her actions after the fact shouldn't really matter. As shocking as some may believe that she could calmly record her thoughts as they were happening - it would be just as shocking if she did it after her boyfriend was justifiably shot because he threatened the officer.

You can never assume how somebody - or yourself - will react to a traumatic event. Just like you never know how someone is grieving for a lost loved one based only on what you see. Best not to make any assumptions.

Her actions after the fact shouldn't really matter. As shocking as some may believe that she could calmly record her thoughts as they were happening - it would be just as shocking if she did it after her boyfriend was justifiably shot because he threatened the officer.

You can never assume how somebody - or yourself - will react to a traumatic event. Just like you never know how someone is grieving for a lost loved one based only on what you see. Best not to make any assumptions.
Maybe. But she made the choice to keep calm with a loaded gun aimed directly at at her.

now this guy may have done everything right but I have definitely seen people fight with officers. I think everyone needs to be taught how to react when stopped.

I am a white middle class woman probably a group that is statistically extremely unlikly to be shot and even I was taught that if I am stopped to only get out licence and registration if I can do it well before the cop gets to my car and have them in plain sight. Not to make sudden movements and to calmly explain before I do things.

So the police are so jumpy that I sneeze or reach up to scratch my forehead or have a seizure and they shoot me and it's my fault now for not knowing to not make any sudden movements so as not to scare them?

This is not the fault of the person being pulled over. I understand following directions, being polite, not arguing. But now: no sudden movements?

And what about people with disabilities? What happens when someone who is deaf or hard of hearing gets pulled over. Cop gives a direction...it isn't received the first time. Oops?

This is a training failure. Not the failure of the people being pulled over in routine traffic stops. No one should be executed for failing to come to a complete stop at the stop sign or for a busted taillight.

As others have said, we'll hear more over time. This is what the girlfriend said about how fast he died after being shot.

From the link below:

Philando Castile's grief-stricken girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, claims he was shot five times during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights, a suburb of the Twin Cities.

"He didn't have any last words," Reynolds tearfully recalled Thursday morning, hours after she said police released her and her young daughter, who was also in the car. "His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he was gone instantly."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-doj-probe-n605301?google_editors_picks=true

That is what they were called for. At the same time all the video is showing at no point did that gun come out when officers detained him. They had him tackled and pinned.

Indeed, you can see them removing the gun from his pocket AFTER they shot him. The gun never came out. Some people, maybe, shouldn't be police officers. I think one officer "found" the gun while they were struggling (e.g., felt it), yelled "he's got a gun" (albeit not out, and not being used) and the other over reacted and shot him.

So the police are so jumpy that I sneeze or reach up to scratch my forehead or have a seizure and they shoot me and it's my fault now for not knowing to not make any sudden movements so as not to scare them?

This is not the fault of the person being pulled over. I understand following directions, being polite, not arguing. But now: no sudden movements?

And what about people with disabilities? What happens when someone who is deaf or hard of hearing gets pulled over. Cop gives a direction...it isn't received the first time. Oops?

This is a training failure. Not the failure of the people being pulled over in routine traffic stops. No one should be executed for failing to come to a complete stop at the stop sign or for a busted taillight.

It's on all parties involved.

I am outraged by it. I have a teenage son who is Hispanic. It makes me sick to my stomach. I tell my son to stay far away from police if at all possible, but if he is ever approached by police to keep your hands directly in the air the entire time. Even if it's a routine traffic stop. And to have someone record if they are with him. I go over this with my son often.

ETA: My son has never been approached by police. He's a good kid but that doesn't matter anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter