"Homeless" for 5 hours?

Melani

"keep moving forward"
How exactly does a split stay work? Are you virtually homeless from 11:00am to 4:00pm?

I know they'll transfer your luggage for you, but otherwise if you need to change clothes or nap or something during that time period, are you just out of luck?

We are staying 4 nights at BWV then 2 nights @ SS.

We usually like to return to our resort after lunch to rest, swim & change before dinner. Do I check-out, then go swim, then change at the pool bathroom? How can I get this done smoothly with 3 kids?

Can I do online check in from BWV & not have to go to SS at 4pm, then back to HS to play, then back to SS to sleep?

~Melani

We usually check out at one resort and in at the other right away in the morning. Our room isn't likely to be ready, so we just head to the parks and enjoy. We call the number they provide for checking to see if your room is ready, and when it is, we go back and get settled at the "new" place. I would think this would work well with kids too. Sometimes checking in right away in the morning at the new resort will score you an earlier room too. We have never had an issue doing this, and if you really HAD to go back to the resort to chill out, you could still do that in the pool or lounge areas. At OKW, we have been known to sit around Papa's Den for an hour before getting into the room.

I'm really not a fan of split stays because I hate moving day, and we don't even normally go back to the resorts to rest during the day.

I've checked out really early and moved my own things to the new resort to check in. Then I head to the park for the day and return to the new resort at night. We did this a couple weeks ago moving from AKV to VWL and still getiing to HS for EMH at 8 am. I'd move once if I were you and hope that your room is ready before 4 pm.

if you have someone to stay with the kids - just go check in at SSR as early as possible - it opens for check in at 6:30am.

then don't leave BWV until 11 am.

so you need to change your schedule a little.

if you can the parks are a great place to go to - while waiting.

BWV does have computer in the business/convention part - they charge - but the first few minutes are free. if you go that route then no you can wait.

but really though you could check in 10 days before hand - so it sounds like you can check in to both BWV and SSR before you leave.

I was wondering how this works too - what do you do with refrigerated items when going from one resort to the other? Do they hold your luggage until your room is ready and then bring it up for you? :confused3
TIA - hope I'm not hijacking this thread...

bell services has refrigerator and freezer - you must say what goes in each.

they hold the luggage until you are in room and asking for it.

then they bring it to you. (remember to tip them)

Where do you go to check-in online? I've looked online at the member site, but I don't see anything relating to check-in. Am I just missing it?

think it on the same place - as my vacation points

then
view vacation details

now have not done it yet - so don't know further. It does not show up until the 10 day time.

Developer Points WILL NOT SHOW UP HERE - and you can't do the online reservation for Dev points.

I second the idea of trying to have someone go to SSR early in the morning to check-in, even if you don't bring the luggage. Because of the size of SSR and depending on the time of year you go, you may get lucky and be able to get a room right away or shortly after 11:00, when you must vacate your BWV room. If you don't have a car this process will be more cumbersome, of course. If this idea doesn't appeal to you, I wonder if the front desk at BWV would consider helping you check-in online? It wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

However, do keep in mind that, yes, logistically, you could be unable to have a private space to use for washing/napping for that period of time. Such a convenience is subject to availability, as if you were checking into the second resort on that day (which is, essentially, what is happening).

Note how this has no KTTK-related impact. You have a resort-guest ID card "status" for the entire day.

"homeless" is exactly how we felt when we did moved from OKW to BCV summer before last. It was VERY HOT and we just wanted a place to do. I would recommend it at a different time of the year. We had no troubles with luggage, etc.

Where do you go to check-in online? I've looked online at the member site, but I don't see anything relating to check-in. Am I just missing it?
Go to your vacation details under my vacation points. Bring up that reservation...there is a link "What will you celebrate"....when you click on that link, it gives you the option to check in online and a separate field to tell them what you are celebrating.

We've done 2 split stays, from BWV to OKW and checked in at OKW @9am and got the room right away. Then in 2007 we went from OKW to AKL and again, as I am the early riser of the group and had the car, I drove to AKL and checked in and was given the 2 bdr villa right away. So check in early, you never know, you might get your room and not be homeless at all!

I read someplace else that if you check in online, they don't honor special requests. Just something to think about. We hopped 4 times on our last vacation just so we could try all the resorts before we bought DVC. It was tiring, but we never had any problem. We had our luggage held by bell services if the room wasn't ready, and we took off for the parks. I'm sure you won't really feel homeless :)

The check-in early am option sounds like the best plan for us. The I think we'll have a late/long lunch at a TS instead of a swim (then we won't need to change clothes)

Does any one have a link to a really good map on how to get from BWV to SS. I won't go into the whole getting lost on the way back from DTD story, but from now on DH is very reluctant to drive anywhere while on vacation.

I was wondering how this works too - what do you do with refrigerated items when going from one resort to the other? Do they hold your luggage until your room is ready and then bring it up for you? :confused3
TIA - hope I'm not hijacking this thread...
When we switched from OKW to FW Cabins a few years ago, our refrigerated items were already put away in our new refrigerator at FW Cabins when we arrived. I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't taken that cabin when we checked in!
I've done lots of split stays, and usually the new room is ready for me. One time I transferred from BWV to BCV at 10:45am, just rolled my suitcase across the wooden boardwalk. When I checked in at BCV, the room I'd been assigned wasn't ready, but they offered to switch me to a room that was ready (I think that was a time when they did "room-ready"). Often, when doing a split stay, I check out, go to a theme park for the morning, then go to my new resort to check in. It's always gone very smoothly, so I'm a big fan of split stays.

With 3 kids and 2 days, I would keep calling MS until the day of check in to see if a room becomes available at BWV. :flower3:

The check-in early am option sounds like the best plan for us. The I think we'll have a late/long lunch at a TS instead of a swim (then we won't need to change clothes)

Does any one have a link to a really good map on how to get from BWV to SS. I won't go into the whole getting lost on the way back from DTD story, but from now on DH is very reluctant to drive anywhere while on vacation.

Here is a link to a map and directions:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lake+Buena+Vista&1s=FL&1a=2101+N+Epcot+Resorts+Blvd&2a=1960+Broadway&2z=32830

Briefly: As you exit BWV, take a right to the stoplight next to the Hess station. Be in the left lane so you can turn left at the stoplight. Go straight until you pass under Hwy 536 and be prepared to turn left at the corner where you see the OKW lighthouse tower. After you turn left at the tower get in the right lane and be prepared to go right on the road to OKW and SSR (signs posted). This road will go right past the OKW gate and then past some of the Treehouse Villas and golf paths and eventually will wind its way to the SSR gate area. Good luck!

Thank you very much!

I printed it out & put it w/our trip stiff piling up on the sun porch.

Here is a link to a map and directions:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lake+Buena+Vista&1s=FL&1a=2101+N+Epcot+Resorts+Blvd&2a=1960+Broadway&2z=32830

Briefly: As you exit BWV, take a right to the stoplight next to the Hess station. Be in the left lane so you can turn left at the stoplight. Go straight until you pass under Hwy 536 and be prepared to turn left at the corner where you see the OKW lighthouse tower. After you turn left at the tower get in the right lane and be prepared to go right on the road to OKW and SSR (signs posted). This road will go right past the OKW gate and then past some of the Treehouse Villas and golf paths and eventually will wind its way to the SSR gate area. Good luck!

facebook twitter