Holiday "W.I.S.H."es - December 2021 thread

Just a dusting of more snow last night, the next three days should be clear and dry… and cold. It is beautiful outside right now. They are still saying more snow Thursday. I’m not a snow driver, so I’m housebound till things clear up. My neighbor pointed out it’s a double quarantine, the snow is protecting us from the virus.

My internet is down for the second time since they upgraded and ‘improved’ the network, so no real work is getting done. I was really hoping to take advantage of this quiet week to get some work done setting up the new project I’m moving to. I guess I could hand draw some flow charts…

I’m not quite to bring-on-summer mode yet, but I am ready to start taking down Christmas decor and clearing space for the New Year. But it makes me kind of sad saying that out loud, since there really hasn’t been a Christmas yet. The tree will stay up for a while tho, I ordered new ornament organizers and they won’t be here until Jan 3. I am also ready to get back to good eating and more walking. At some point I will go out for a snow walk today.

Feeling motivated after reading everyone’s posts today!

I try to cook/eat one meatless dinner a week-need to get back to that. I’m also going to fix soup one night a week for dinner. I have several healthy recipes we really like. Maybe Sunday nights so we have leftovers at the start of the week.
My daughter and her husband gave me a Fitbit for Christmas-I have to read up more on what it can do, but I think it’s a more accurate way to count my steps than my phone. Today was a sleety mess but I am anxious to try it out on the trail tomorrow.

So, I did a thing yesterday... I ordered an air fryer. I've been thinking about it for a month, but held off because I felt like this would highly likely become another "appliance-that-will-revolutionize-my-life-that-never-actually-gets-used" thing. But I keep reading about how people love theirs and how they use them and it does seem like a good fit for what I need to be doing... one pan dinners with a protein and a veggie. I cleared out the counter space for it before I ordered it, to make sure what I was thinking would work. So we'll see how it goes.

Once again I'm second guessing my Feb/March WDW trip, ugh. I'm hoping that the current spike will be waning by then. My dining window opens tomorrow and I'll go ahead and make my ADRs, just not very excited about it. I did order my points reward card yesterday, I currently have $331 on it and then will load what is added for Jan/Feb before I go. That will cover my fancy sit-down dinners and the only out of pocket food expense will be snack and QS. That is exciting.

So, I did a thing yesterday... I ordered an air fryer. I've been thinking about it for a month, but held off because I felt like this would highly likely become another "appliance-that-will-revolutionize-my-life-that-never-actually-gets-used" thing. But I keep reading about how people love theirs and how they use them and it does seem like a good fit for what I need to be doing... one pan dinners with a protein and a veggie. I cleared out the counter space for it before I ordered it, to make sure what I was thinking would work. So we'll see how it goes.

Once again I'm second guessing my Feb/March WDW trip, ugh. I'm hoping that the current spike will be waning by then. My dining window opens tomorrow and I'll go ahead and make my ADRs, just not very excited about it. I did order my points reward card yesterday, I currently have $331 on it and then will load what is added for Jan/Feb before I go. That will cover my fancy sit-down dinners and the only out of pocket food expense will be snack and QS. That is exciting.
My daughter loves her air fryer and uses it several times a week. I have been tempted to get one. After I clear out my pantry I might rethink that.
Hoping things work out for your trip this spring. What a great time of year to get away to warmer weather.

I decided to get back on the treadmill today for just 15 minutes. I need to build up my energy again before going back to work next week. It went well, so tomorrow I will add on another 5 minutes.

DD and I decided to bake and decorate cookies for New Year’s Eve since we never got to do it for Christmas. The next few days will be my last hurrah before rejoining NOOM. I am not going totally crazy, as I am still making sure to get enough veggies, fruits, whole grains, and protein. I’m just enjoying holiday treats while they are in the house.

@Oneanne I will say I really like my air fryer. I have a combo that is also a toaster oven and I use it a couple times a week for cooking and reheating.
I need to get motivated...will likely happen tomorrow when I am all but certain my dr will nag me about my weight. Sigh. I am seriously lacking in the motivation department right now.

We got one last year for Christmas. We love it. We use it several times a week. We have made Chicken and pork chops in it. Also, the kids like fish sticks and chicken nuggets in it as they are crispier. Also hot dogs taste like they are they grilled. We also make homemade fries which are healthier then the store bought ones.

DD and I went with a winter/New Year’s Eve theme for our cookies. I’m glad we got to do them. We were sad that we didn’t get to do the Christmas ones.
View attachment 633949

These are awesome. You guys are great at decorating them.

Today has been a bit of a crazy and relaxing day. DD woke up with her eye hurting really bad this morning. After trying a few things at home I took her to the eye doctor. She has a scratch on her eye. It is small and under the bottom eye lid. She on an ointment 3 times a day for the next 5 days. She goes back on Thursday to make sure it is healing. It just never ends with this girl. Thankfully it is not that bad. After the doctors we went to Pennies with DH. I needed to get DD and DS a shirt to wear to the funeral. DD had some but refused to wear them so I told her she could get a new shirt. It was better then fighting with her. After that we went to Chick Fil a for lunch. We had gift cards from last year to use. Then I have rested the rest of the day. I did get a 30 minute walk in outside with DH before DD's appointment and I will get on the treadmill shortly. I had a bad headache and sinus pain. This weather swings always bother my sinuses. I am good now so will get on the treadmill and get 30 to 60 minutes in.

Today has been a bit of a crazy and relaxing day. DD woke up with her eye hurting really bad this morning. After trying a few things at home I took her to the eye doctor. She has a scratch on her eye. It is small and under the bottom eye lid. She on an ointment 3 times a day for the next 5 days. She goes back on Thursday to make sure it is healing.
Not sure if this was mentioned to you but don't be shocked if her nose turns into a faucet! DS6 scratched DH's eye when he was a baby. At the doc appointment he ended up blowing his nose repeatedly after drops went in...turns out depending on where the scratch is the liquid can drain into the nasal cavity. Per DH's doctor completely normal but can be a bit alarming if you aren't expecting it.
The human body is so bizarrely fascinating.

Woohoo I only gained a pound this year! Dr did not reprimand me ha. So guess I need to concentrate on toning my muscles up more than weight loss. She also said the random night sweats I have been getting are likely not perimenopause...but could be related to my cycle so I need to start monitoring when they happen in relation to that time of the month.
Woohoo the kids are going to my inlaws today so I'll be able to work somewhere other than the dining room...going to break in my lap desk.
Woohoo the rain outside is rain and not anything in the ice/snow family.

Woohoo... thanks everyone for the positive feedback on air fryers. I got the Ninja Foodi that has all the different functions and you can flip it up-right when not in use. It does feel oriented towards smaller meals, which was an issue with crockpots and Instapots, and the grill I had ordered just wasn't what I was expecting, so I am hopeful that this will be a success. I've seen a salmon and a chicken recipe that look particularly good.

Woohoo... the snow melted just a little bit yesterday, instead of turning into sheets of ice. We are expecting more snow tonight/tomorrow then a slow warm up until rain starts Saturday. Woohoo for rain! I'm figuring I'll be able to get out and about Sunday and I kept Monday as an extra day off so might be able to do something then. Except... in addition to my wet allergy cough I've been having a dry cough, at night in particular, and a more-than-normal stuffy runny nose. Evidently these are two covid symptoms, but I haven't had any others so at this point I'm just paying attention. A little over a week ago I had my slew of appointments - dentist, orthodontist, ophthalmologist, optometrist - and I guess symptoms can show up from 2 to 14 days after exposure, so I would still be in the window for exposure from any of them. Other than that the only people I've been around not masked and just in passing are my SIL and Nephew, which is now 5 days ago. If I were to get sick from that sad little Christmas gathering I would not be pleased.

I'd like to so woohoo I can book ADRs today, but I'm still pretty blasé about it. Maybe doing so will help me get more excited about the trip.

Last edited:
Woohoo... thanks everyone for the positive feedback on air fryers. I got the Ninja Foodi that has all the different functions and you can flip it up-right when not in use. It does feel oriented towards smaller meals, which was an issue with crockpots and Instapots, and the grill I had ordered just wasn't what I was expecting, so I am hopefully that this will be a success. I've seen a salmon and a chicken recipe that look particularly good.

Woohoo... the snow melted just a little bit yesterday, instead of turning into sheets of ice. We are expecting more snow tonight/tomorrow then a slow warm up until rain starts Saturday. Woohoo for rain! I'm figuring I'll be able to get out and about Sunday and I kept Monday as an extra day off so might be able to do something then. Except... in addition to my wet allergy cough I've been having a dry cough, at night in particular, and a more-than-normal stuffy runny nose. Evidently these are two covid symptoms, but I haven't had any others so at this point I'm just paying attention. A little over a week ago I had my slew of appointments - dentist, orthodontist, ophthalmologist, optometrist - and I guess symptoms can show up from 2 to 14 days after exposure, so I would still be in the window for exposure from any of them. Other than that the only people I've been around not masked and just in passing are my SIL and Nephew, which is now 5 days ago. If I were to get sick from that sad little Christmas gathering I would not be pleased.

I'd like to so woohoo I can book ADRs today, but I'm still pretty blasé about it. Maybe doing so will help me get more excited about the trip.
Please let us know how the air fryer works for you. I would love to know.

Wahoo we have temperatures above freezing and snow is melting! Boohoo it's still lows in the teens where my parents live. Hoping by Friday when we visit things will have warmed up there, otherwise we may not make it up the hills to their house in the country!

Wahoo I had the house to myself yesterday and just loved it! Today will be a repeat of yesterday and then those days are gone as tomorrow will be DH's last day of work before retirement!

Wahoo/boohoo DS2's school in New York City has delayed start for one week. I need to call and change airline tickets today. Their email made it very clear that they were closed and everyone was expected to change travel plans! Students also had to get boosted and have a negative test result before they could return. Masks must be worn at all times on campus except when eating. Glad they're being proactive! Hoping none of the students get sick when they return.

I found a giant bag of broccoli yesterday at Costco. Roasted that up and am in hog heaven munching on it! So yummy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter