Hockey Pockety Wockety Wack A Tale of A Trip from the Back of the Pack

I got an adrenaline rush just reading about your experience! I can't wait to read more!!! :goodvibes

The few races I did were rather a large crowd as well (even though most likely less people than for this race), but I loved starting in such a crowd. It really gave me such a boost of energy to have so many like-minded people around!

I love your description about the race, it's great for someone who is considering a WDW half marathon to get a feeling what it is like! :thumbsup2

Yay race time!!! I really wish I took better notes on the course :rotfl: I am having trouble reliving it!! The start was a little underwhelming for people in the back, but still it was disney!!

And you're off!! Woo Hoo!! How exciting. I really really REALLY want to do a Disney race and reading this makes me even more excited to do one. I'm so proud of you! What an awesome challenge to take on for yourself.

Your pictures really gave a good sense of how crowed a Disney race can be! Yikes! The 2 5Ks I've done have been really small events and nothing like the cattle pens the Disney one looks like! Nevertheless, I can sense your excitement, and the end, I'm glad you didn't try to keep up the pace with your friends!! You might not have been able to finish in the end.

Mickey and Minnie are so cute- how fun to get to start a race off with so much hoopla! Someday, I'd really love to run one there!!

I had only done one race before, and it was nothing compared to these crowds. They were saying there were about 11,000 runners for both the regular half and the relay. Before the race started all you could see was a sea of people. I don't think I was expecting that many people.

How exciting to be off!!! What an experience, Crissy!!!

It definitely had the heart pumping a bit! I was really enjoying catching up with my friend though. We used to hang out together all the time until she had moved away. Now she actually lives in the same town as my grandmother so I'm going to have to look her up the next time I'm down there.

I got an adrenaline rush just reading about your experience! I can't wait to read more!!! :goodvibes

I don't know what I was actually expecting that day, but the actual thing was so much more. The other particiapants though are what was really making it.

The few races I did were rather a large crowd as well (even though most likely less people than for this race), but I loved starting in such a crowd. It really gave me such a boost of energy to have so many like-minded people around!

I love your description about the race, it's great for someone who is considering a WDW half marathon to get a feeling what it is like! :thumbsup2

The other people definitely gave you a boost of energy. I hadn't felt that at my 10k race. Just goes to show Disney people are best. :goodvibes

I should have the rest of the race report up later. I have the pictures and everything uploaded, I just need to finish the writing. I'd highly recomend a Disney race to anyone. It was quite the experience!

Yay race time!!! I really wish I took better notes on the course :rotfl: I am having trouble reliving it!! The start was a little underwhelming for people in the back, but still it was disney!!

Were you in the last corral too? I was in "D" (I think). I was wishing I could see what was going on as they released the earlier corrals.

I'm having a bit of problems reliving the course too, so I'm going to try to focus on an overall impression, and the few points I remember clearly. Hopefully that will work out okay.

And you're off!! Woo Hoo!! How exciting. I really really REALLY want to do a Disney race and reading this makes me even more excited to do one. I'm so proud of you! What an awesome challenge to take on for yourself.

Thanks LL! You should definitly try one some day. I'd like to do another one, either another half or a 5k. I'm thinking the 5k would be more fun though and I'd get to enjoy it a bit more. I'm glad I saw this through to the end though no matter what. It's something I never thought I would have been able to do.

Yeah I was in Corral D too...I just sort of shuffled my way to the front, but I couldn't see the fireworks or anything they did at first

Yeah I was in Corral D too...I just sort of shuffled my way to the front, but I couldn't see the fireworks or anything they did at first

That was kind of lousy wasn't it? :mad: They could have done that each corral. I think they usually do during the other races.

During all my training for the Wine and Dine half marathon, my ipod had been my trusted best friend. Even on the days I dubiously left my cell phone at home I always had my ipod with me. A girl has to have priorities right? I had never run or walked a step in training in which my ipod wasn't in my ear, and the Nike+ wasn't tracking my results. At the beginning of the race I had my old ipod nano fully charged, tuned to my specially made playlist, Nike+ sensor in place placed securely in my skirt pocket ready to go.

But when it was time to start I made a decision, quite shocking to me, but at that moment it just felt right.

I was going to do this without the ipod. Usually I derive a lot of inspiration from my music. I tend to play things that make me want to dance and move, things I can sing along with. My playlist was filled with lots of Brittany Spears, Prince and Katy Perry. I had the songs "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi and "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus for when I needed an extra push, and my favorite Zumba music to get my feet going. Waiting there. Ready to go.

I never clicked play.

I tucked my ipod back into my pocket and set out to fully experience my 13.1 miles with my own thoughts to keep me going. I had been averaging 17 min. miles in training, and knew if I was going to do this I was going to need every possible second. Much as I would have loved to, I knew I wasn't going to be able to take time to snap photos with the characters along the way, or heck even use a bathroom. If I couldn't experience those moments, I wanted to experience what I could from this race. The sights, the sounds, the other people - everything I could. Those 13.1 miles laying before me had become so meaningful, a symbol of everything I'd told myself I wasn't capable of doing. I wanted to enjoy every moment of every mile I was able to finish. I didn't think I could do that with my ipod in my ear.

So less than a mile into the race, I was on my own. The first part of the race was pretty dull. Below is a copy of the course map, with the miles marked on it.

WandD-half-marathon-course_opt.jpg

As you can see the first three miles were just out on one of Disney's highways. Probably the most entertaining part of this was that when all the back of the packers were headed down towards the Animal Kingdom, we could see the wheelchair division and the really fast runners heading back towards us on the other side of the road. We were all sure to give big cheers for them. Along the way Disney was providing a bit of entertainment. There were some characters out and about, and in the middle of the divided highway they had Spectromagic floats all lite up with dancing characters and bands playing. Fun! I would have loved to have stopped, but I kept plugging away. I kept going with my intervals, occasionally chatting with other participants - all of whom were just wonderful and encouraging. My one surprise was how much of this area was uphill. I had been expecting Florida - flat, but this stretch of the road had quite a bit of a grade to it. Nothing like at home, but more than I was expecting.

I was feeling good. I was keeping my pace, and knew there was still a large number of people behind me. I was happy though when we arrived at the Animal Kingdom at mile 3. There was a bit more to see. I ran into one of the girls from my friend's Team in Training group as we entered the park and we ended up keeping each other company for a few miles. It was odd though being in the AK at night. Part of the run when through some backstage areas which was kind of cool. Here's a close up of the AK part of the course. Sorry it's not the clearest. I couldn't find a better image.

marathonak_opt.jpg

Of course heading into the parks you also had to deal with the photographers that were out. I apologize in advance for all these horrid pictures of me from the race! Eek! :scared1: I just had to buy the entire disk afterwards though. During a running interval -

61032-798-021f_opt.jpg

61032-578-021f_opt.jpg

I wasn't really paying much attention to what was going on behind me during the race, but after leaving the AK I was getting an antsy feeling that it was sounding much quieter behind me than it had been. At about mile 6 I could here people at the relay transfer spot (which I had already passed) looking for, and cheering for the final 1st leg relay runner to cross the line. That runner turned out to be one of the couple I had met leaving the Beach Club earlier. I'm happy to say both him and his partner both crossed in time! :banana:

The miles between the AK and MGM were some of the most dull, and it was getting much rougher keeping going. I could feel my pace beginning to slag a bit. Miles 6 to 8 backtracked along the highway before turning back yet again. Not terribly exciting, and rough when you can see people coming back at you just on the other side of a rope barrier. (The area on the map right before you hit mile marker 8). It would have been really nice to just scoot under the rope and ignore the entire loop, but I was good and followed the entire thing. (Good thing too, they have a scanner right at the end of it to be sure that you actually cover the entire loop. At about 7.5 miles in I got a text from my BFF telling me she had been picked up for falling too far behind and was being taken to the finish line. A bit of panic was beginning to set in. As I looped around towards mile marker 8 I was becoming quickly aware that there was practically no one behind me any longer. There were a few, but not many. The rest had all been picked up for being falling behind.

Right after mile 8 two girls came up behind me with balloons tied around their waits. The pacers. The race staff that was around and the cops pedaling around on bikes told us we'd be fine if we kept up with the girls with the balloons. I was trying, believe me, but I was getting so tired. I had picked up a pebble and could feel it floating around under the ball of my left foot. It wasn't horrible, but it was irritating, and I knew I didn't have enough time to stop and empty my shoe. I also would have given anything at that moment for a restroom. I was wearing out, and the two girls were getting a bit further ahead of me.

The mile 8 was horrible for me. I could feel my body feeling more and more exhausted. Most of that mile was going uphill. It was around midnight I'd guess, and the thought of 5 more miles was daunting. Plus, there was a clif shot stop during that mile. I had been training with them for energy, but I had only used the citrus flavored ones. They were giving out a different flavor, but I figured I'd be fine. Wrong. I had eaten about half the package when I started feeling sick as a dog. It was awful. I tossed out the rest of the package, and tried to ignore my now rolling stomach. As I was getting closer to the mile 9 marker the cops and staff told us that mile 9 was a hard cut. We had so many minutes to make it to the mile marker or we'd be taken off the course. :eek:Up ahead of me, I could see a big old coach waiting to cart people off to the finish line.

I'll be honest. That bus was looking pretty good. :lovestruc No, that bus was beyond looking good. That bus wouldn't have looked better if they told me that it was filled with ice cream sundaes and Captain Jack Sparrow waiting to rub my poor feet. Nope that bus had cushy seats, air conditioning and a bathroom. It looked like heaven to my poor exhausted eyes. I tried to run a bit to get caught up to the mile marker. I didn't get far before I had to slow to a walk again. My legs didn't want to listen. With mile marker 9 just in front of me, and the clock ticking, a big part of me just wanted to take that bus back to the finish line, wanted to sit down, wanted to take that pebble out of my shoe, wanted to end this madness.

I kept moving, just looking at that line in front of me, It actually looked like a mini-finish line, trying to make a decision on what I really wanted to do. The bus or the finish line. In that moment I knew I had to try. They could pull me off the course if need be, but I'd go down trying to finish with whatever energy I could muster up. I took a few deep breathes and started to run again, determined to cross that line somehow. Somehow I made it. I crossed the line and headed towards MGM, looking at the bus parked along side of the road waiting to cart people off to the finish line. It wasn't for me though. I didn't let myself give up for once. I didn't know how I was going to keep time for the last 4.1 miles, but they weren't getting me at mile 9. :thumbsup2

Wow, the anticipation is getting to me. I feel like I am running along beside you. I think I might have gotten on that bus. Good for you for sticking it out.

Wow, the anticipation is getting to me. I feel like I am running along beside you. I think I might have gotten on that bus. Good for you for sticking it out.

I was really, really tempted to throw in the towel and let them put me on the bus. I had more than enough at that point. Getting sick over the clif shot really almost put me over the edge.

Crissy, I love hearing about this race, and I feel like I am right there with you. :hug:

I give you SO much credit for running without your ipod...that is honestly amazing!! I know there were some great spots for entertainment, but there were a lot of very boring spots too!! I don't think I could have done that!! I am really enjoying reading along with your experience!!

Wow. You are so inspiring! The determination you had for this race is so amazing. Good for you, you didn't let mile 9 get the best of you! :thumbsup2

Hey Chrissy! I've been keeping tabs on your TR in silence because I've been too busy to write for the last few weeks. I was thinking about you before the holidays and the fact you weren't posting, and hoping that you hadn't gotten into another bout of the blues. Unfortunately, it looks like you did, but I'm glad to hear you've come through it well!

The story-telling you are doing for your race is fantastic. You are keeping me (and all other readers I dare say) on the edge of our seats - even though we know the ending. I feel like I'm standing on the sides cheering you on.

The closest I've come to a "race" is our local Corporate Challenge 5K, which I've done perhaps half a dozen times, which is 3.5 miles. Though I didn't train for that, I can't even imagine going 13.1 miles.

I give you SO much credit for running without your ipod...that is honestly amazing!! I know there were some great spots for entertainment, but there were a lot of very boring spots too!! I don't think I could have done that!! I am really enjoying reading along with your experience!!

I never thought I could have done it without the ipod, but at that moment it just felt right. I was so glad that I did. I really liked getting to enjoy those miles for what they were - really focus on them.

I think those first 9 miles were the worst. Way too many stretches out on that highway. I really hated that out and back section.

Wow. You are so inspiring! The determination you had for this race is so amazing. Good for you, you didn't let mile 9 get the best of you! :thumbsup2

I don't really know where the determination came from. At that moment I really just knew I had to try. If I failed, and they took me off it would have ben fine, but I didn't want to give up on my own.

Hey Chrissy! I've been keeping tabs on your TR in silence because I've been too busy to write for the last few weeks. I was thinking about you before the holidays and the fact you weren't posting, and hoping that you hadn't gotten into another bout of the blues. Unfortunately, it looks like you did, but I'm glad to hear you've come through it well!

Thanks Pete. I really got hit hard with the blues this year, capped off with my Christmas grocery shopping 2 days before Christmas where I nearly started bawling in the middle of the store. Luckily it got better after that, but I've been feeling it a bit this week too. I think I need more sunlight, as I felt much better over the weekend when I was outside for awhile.

The story-telling you are doing for your race is fantastic. You are keeping me (and all other readers I dare say) on the edge of our seats - even though we know the ending. I feel like I'm standing on the sides cheering you on.

The closest I've come to a "race" is our local Corporate Challenge 5K, which I've done perhaps half a dozen times, which is 3.5 miles. Though I didn't train for that, I can't even imagine going 13.1 miles.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the race updates. I'm enjoying writing them.

I feel the same way about going the full marathon distance. After doing the 13.1 I can't imagine going a step further.

I had every intention of doing the next installment today, but I'm home sick today and my half written installment is on my work computer. :sad2: I'll do it tomorrow. :thumbsup2

I was just thinking today how odd it feels to not be planning a Disney vacation. I still feel like I really need to do something different this year, but still it feels odd. They've opened a new Disney store in Times Square so I think I'm going to start a new gift card for my next trip (probably in 2012).

They listed the class offerings for my spring fiber art camp in NH, and I'm even more excited about doing that this year. I'm having fun trying to pick out what classes I want to take. I was a bit sad to realize they weren't offering any painting type of classes this session. I really have been looking forward to trying some painting. They are only offering them in the fall session, and I don't know if I want to completely try new things like that. I'm still going to try some new things. I'm looking at trying a photography/embroidery class, a silk knitting class, drop spinning and a botanical printing class. Knitting is the only thing I have experience in so it should be fun! I have to chose by next week, and have it postmarked by next week. First come first served on the choices! It's kind of like trying to get Disney ADRs. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter