Hockey Pockety Wockety Wack A Tale of A Trip from the Back of the Pack

Eeeck! :scared1: So sorry you had to go through that during an otherwise nice dinner and fabulous fireworks! I would have been the SAME exact way though... when something like that happens, I have a one track mind until the issue is resolved. SO happy you got it back without any delay! :goodvibes Good looking guys... they seem to have that effect on us sometimes, huh?! ;)

YAY so glad you found your id...I know I would be worried about it the whole time too...hopefully you were able to enjoy dinner/fireworks somewhat at least :goodvibes

that frozen sunshine you had in theother update looked SO good, I am on a mission to get one next trip!!

I love your tradition of picture with the tiki!! I love special memories like that :goodvibes

All caught up:goodvibes Sometimes it is so nice to take a relaxing trip to DW and not worry about rushing to see everything. That is one of the nice things about going to Disney often. You can lose that sense of urgency.:lmao:

Wow what a scare to lose your DL.:confused: I would have been so worried too.

I had left my camera at Chef Mickeys and realized it after we got to the car, when my camera case felt real light. Luckily I had left it on the table and DH ran up to the check in area and was able to get it back.

The more times I go to Disney, the more I want to just take it easy. It's so much more enjoyable that way.

I lost my sunglasses back in December. I think they fell out of my pocket on RnR. Sadly they were never found. I don't know what I would have done had I really lost my license.

Eeeck! :scared1: So sorry you had to go through that during an otherwise nice dinner and fabulous fireworks! I would have been the SAME exact way though... when something like that happens, I have a one track mind until the issue is resolved. SO happy you got it back without any delay! :goodvibes Good looking guys... they seem to have that effect on us sometimes, huh?! ;)

He was terribly distracting. :)

My mind was completely occupied. My friend was really great about it. She was ready to leave right away to go find it, but I didn't want to ruin the plans. I figured if it was lost it was lost. Missing the fireworks and dessert weren't going to help turn it up.

YAY so glad you found your id...I know I would be worried about it the whole time too...hopefully you were able to enjoy dinner/fireworks somewhat at least :goodvibes

that frozen sunshine you had in theother update looked SO good, I am on a mission to get one next trip!!

I love your tradition of picture with the tiki!! I love special memories like that :goodvibes

I just went back to find the Tiki in December. I want to make it a habit now. Hopefully someday there will be a picture of me old and grey with my Tiki.

I highly recomend making a point to get a Frozen Sunshine!

Did you know YOU are the one who inspired me to have fun with the tikis?? Yes, YOU!!! :thumbsup2 I ended up with some really cute ones that I'm excited to show you in my TR. Not sure they're as cute as you lead me to believe that French hottie was though. Yes, I noticed that too, there were a lot of them behind window, or in back, out of the way places.

I like a story with a good ending!!! I'm sooooooooooo glad you found your ID, but a bit sad you had that on your mind during dessert and WISHES. BOO! I know that feeling well, and it is hard to enjoy anything when you know a big headache is looming- it's happened many times with our passports.

I KNOW I have SAD; and it sounds like you do too. PLEASE, Crissy, get it checked out, so you can get through winter without the gloom I know it can bring.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the possible February trip lately. Wondering if my wallet is up to the peak season prices on everything, and if I'm mentally and physically ready to tackle another half marathon right now. I kept going back and forth on it. The practical part of me keeps telling me it's crazy to spend the amount of money this trip will cost just for a weekend trip. My heart tells me it really wants to go be a princess for a few days. Yet another part of me is telling me I'm just not up to it right now.

And at the moment that's what it's coming down to right now for me.

A really good childhood friend of mine passed away last week, suddenly, and completely without any warning at all. We'd fallen out of contact over the years, but had reconnected a year or two ago via Facebook. I had enjoyed getting to chat with her online. She was very much into the arts and theater and was always sharing fascinating links about poets, artists, plays, musicians - whatever she found enlivining and beautiful. She worked for a theater and was living her life surrounded at work and play with things that she loved. She passed away two days before her 40th birthday, without warning, from a pulmunary embolism.

She is one of several friends I've lost way too young. It's really been making me think this week. My friend was spending her life doing things that made her feel alive and happy. If something was to happen to me today could I say the same thing? How am I spending my life?

The answer? No. Not really. I'm doing what I need to do to keep food on the table, and a roof over my head. Not much more than that. My job used to be okay. Not great, or wonderful, but okay. When the economy started to tank, my firm took it as a sign to start treating their staff like dirt. They took just about every perk they could away and have made the working environment so lousy it's miserable to be at work most days. If my firm was doing badly it would be more understandable, but they've rebounded well. They're doing it just because they can. Because they know we can't just run off and easily get another job. I've had enough. I'm tired of spending my days pretending that just being greatful to have a job is enough. Because honestly, it's not. I need more. I don't necessarily need more money (although that wouldn't hurt), but more things that make me feel alive. I have enough things that drain the life out of me for 7 hours a day.

Disney World is one of the things I love, but planning for February is just bringing me stress - the money, the planning, the training. The timing is just not right, so I've decided to pass on going this trip. Making that decision was a relief. I talked with my brother about my training, and instead of training for the Princess half, I'm going to try to do a few 5k's and then in the fall possibly do a 10k or half at home someplace. Something where I can register when I feel it's right for me and it won't cost me over a hundred dollars just to register. Possibly in the fall I might think about re-doing the Wine and Dine, but if not I'll do a Disney race in 2012. I really feel like I need a Disney break though. I really have been thinking I need to do something different this year.

My decision was really made for me when I was doing a bit of web-searching one night, and I found somewhere that I just have to go next year.

:cool1:Art camp!:cool1:

As soon as I ran across the Squam Art Workshops I was hit with a feeling that I just have to be there. I don't know when I've ever felt a place calling out to me quite like this. They run two sessions up in New Hampshire at a campground on Squam Lake. Just look, it's stunningly beautiful. What a wonderful place to spend a long weekend.

squamlake_opt.jpg

It's not outdoor camping either, but cabins doting the lake. All have their own bathrooms, and old-fashioned ice-chests that they fill with ice harvested from the lake in the winter. The pictures make me think of the movie Dirty Dancing.

cabina_opt.jpg

They run two sessions up in New Hampshire. In the spring when I want to go the course offerings are fiber related. Most of them are knitting classes along with other fiber arts like spinning. I'm actually tempted to try something completely out of my comfort zone though for at least a class or two. Part of me would love to try taking a painting class, even though I can't draw at all. I'll have to see when the registration begins. Push myself a bit to try something new and creative. I just might love it. They have a fall session which is more focused on traditional art, but they still normally offer a few art classes in the spring. I just have to find out if I would be completely lost with no art background in them. I'd love to try it though!

This sounds like a wonderful idea! You have often mentioned how much you enjoy knitting and I think being creative is just such a wonderful thing. I can see that this really will give you something to look forward to. The camp sounds like such an interesting place! :thumbsup2

I think this sounds super fun! I would love to do something like this! You have inspired me to look for something like this here in Wisconsin. I think this would be a fun mother/daughter weekend. Thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

You really should do that camp!! It looks beautiful and I am sure you would have a ton of fun trying something out of your comfort zone :goodvibes I myself was so tempted by the thought of returning to WDW for another race, but have decided to put that off for now.

I think you should always try to have fun as much as possible...its such a scary thought that people just pass suddenly in that way and so young, I am sorry to hear about your friend passing

:hug:

Did you know YOU are the one who inspired me to have fun with the tikis?? Yes, YOU!!! :thumbsup2 I ended up with some really cute ones that I'm excited to show you in my TR. Not sure they're as cute as you lead me to believe that French hottie was though. Yes, I noticed that too, there were a lot of them behind window, or in back, out of the way places.

Having fun with the tiki's or the french cutie? ;) I can't wait to see the pictures either way. I love all the theming at the Poly.

I like a story with a good ending!!! I'm sooooooooooo glad you found your ID, but a bit sad you had that on your mind during dessert and WISHES. BOO! I know that feeling well, and it is hard to enjoy anything when you know a big headache is looming- it's happened many times with our passports.

I really don't know when I've ever been more scared on a vacation. I thought for sure I'd be taking the train back to CT because I wasn't going to be able to let on the plane. :) That would be one really long train ride!

I KNOW I have SAD; and it sounds like you do too. PLEASE, Crissy, get it checked out, so you can get through winter without the gloom I know it can bring.

The odd thing is that once I get into the heart of winter I do better. For me the worst time is the first few months, and then the end of winter when I'm about to go stir crazy. I swear I've been oversleeping all week. It's just awful.

This sounds like a wonderful idea! You have often mentioned how much you enjoy knitting and I think being creative is just such a wonderful thing. I can see that this really will give you something to look forward to. The camp sounds like such an interesting place! :thumbsup2

I had been doing some searching for a knitting camp/retreat when I found it. It's a bit expensive, but I won't have to fly so I'll be saving quite a bit on airfare. My brother's vacation place is a bit farther north than the camp. I'm thinking of making it an entire week. I can leave on the weekend, borrow my brother's place for a few days, and then check into the camp on the Wednesday.

I've always wanted to take a vacation by myself, and I think this is the perfect way to do it since it's really a place where most people going will be by themselves or with friends. The thought of having a weekend just to hang out and knit and be creative sounds soo wonderful!

I think this sounds super fun! I would love to do something like this! You have inspired me to look for something like this here in Wisconsin. I think this would be a fun mother/daughter weekend. Thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

Definitely check around. I was mostly interested in the knitting, and I found a few places that had things. I saw a couple of others that looked good too. There was one on the beach in Maine, and another in the mountains in Vermont (although that one lost points for being in the middle of winter). This one just called out to me. I'm sure that you'll be able to find something near you. I think it would be great to do as a mother/daughter activity. My mom however would hate being out in the woods for the weekend, even though she'd have a bed and a bathroom. Camping is just not her thing. :rotfl:

You really should do that camp!! It looks beautiful and I am sure you would have a ton of fun trying something out of your comfort zone :goodvibes I myself was so tempted by the thought of returning to WDW for another race, but have decided to put that off for now.

The class offerings for the spring won't be announced until January, but I'm pretty sure that I want to try at least one non knitting/fibery class. I really would like to try a painting class, but when I say I have no drawing talent I'm not kidding. I have none. If I don't do that they've offered some other really great classes in book making, fabric printing and writing. They don't sound quite as scary to me.

I still really want to do another race at Disney. I ended up really enjoying myself, but next time I want to be more prepared. It's alot of money to be spending, to be so worried about not finishing. I think I'm going to be better off sticking to shorter distances for awhile. Those last few miles just felt so long! I think I'm much happier, at the moment at any rate, at a 10k distance.

I think you should always try to have fun as much as possible...its such a scary thought that people just pass suddenly in that way and so young, I am sorry to hear about your friend passing

:hug:

Thanks. The truly scary thing is that this is about the 5th friend I've lost at a young age, and this friend was the oldest of them. The others all passed away before they turned 30.

Life is definitely too short to spend with regrets or with things that do anything but fill you with joy.

You know I'm an artist, right, so of course I'm giving a HUGE :thumbsup2 to art camp! That's awesome, Wings! I'm so happy for you.

And yes, you need something in your life that brings it joy, that brings you happiness. I hate to say it this way, because it sounds morbid, but every since my mom passed, I frame everything with, if I died tomorrow, would I be happy with the choices I've made. Most days I can say yes...some days no, and that's okay, too. We're all only human, striving to do the best we can. And I think sometimes, as women, we're pre-programmed to be people pleasers, and to be super worried about that balance (hello, fellow Libra) between what we want and what we think we should want.

Just some big :grouphug: for you about making a choice that makes you happy.

You know I'm an artist, right, so of course I'm giving a HUGE :thumbsup2 to art camp! That's awesome, Wings! I'm so happy for you.

And yes, you need something in your life that brings it joy, that brings you happiness. I hate to say it this way, because it sounds morbid, but every since my mom passed, I frame everything with, if I died tomorrow, would I be happy with the choices I've made. Most days I can say yes...some days no, and that's okay, too. We're all only human, striving to do the best we can. And I think sometimes, as women, we're pre-programmed to be people pleasers, and to be super worried about that balance (hello, fellow Libra) between what we want and what we think we should want.

Just some big :grouphug: for you about making a choice that makes you happy.

Thanks. I'm really excited about trying this out. Everytime I've lost a good friend it makes me think again about my choices and direction. I've been wanting to do a solo vacation for so long. I finally made the decision to just do it. This is something that my family and friends won't want to do, so I don't have to worry about pleasing them and inviting them along. (Sometimes being a Libra is tough!)

I have to wait until January to see the official class list, but I'm definitely going to try something non-fibery to push myself in a good way. That's the good thing about a creative endeavor - there are no wrong choices.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I know how it feels to lose someone so young. It is just awful and it DOES make you think about how you're spending your time.
That art camp in NH sounds awesome!!! I've never heard of it & I would love to do something like that. We have some day classes at the Worcester Art Museum, but they are VERY expensive.
I LOVE your dress that you wore to California Grill!! I'm so glad you found your ID, too. I would have totally freaked out.

A belated, but very heart felt Merry Christmas to anyone who hasn't unsubscribed from my poor trip report here! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

I ended up spending most of my pre-Christmas season with a horrible case of the blues, and all of my focus was really on keeping myself together. The worst moment being the night before Christmas eve when I thought I was going to start bawling in the middle of the grocery store because they were out of the beef tips I had been planning on cooking for Christmas Eve dinner. It wasn't pretty. I really had just wanted to curl up and be miserable by myself for the entire holiday, but I geared up and hosted a nice Christmas eve dinner for my parents and a few friends, went to midnight mass and spent a lovely afternoon Christmas day at my brother's house. I got snowed in the past two days due to the blizzard, so I ended up getting my alone time after all. I think the two days curled up on my sofa did me good. I knitted, set up my new hand me down Tivo, and just watched the bubble lights on my Christmas tree. It was lovely, and I feel a bit rejuvinated. Maybe I just needed some quality down time.

I'm using some down time at work today to work on my trip report, so it will be up in no time at all. Stay tuned!

I hear you- I had a case of the Holiday blues BADLY this year. I felt like a lunatic & I also felt like bursting into tears a bunch of times. John & I were not getting along well over Christmas & then on Christmas Eve my cousin & her fiancee announced that they are getting married. That one set me off a bit since they have been together for a shorter time than John & I, she is younger, and it is her second marriage. The next day was good, though, and things are back to normal. Sorry for hijacking your TR- I can just relate to feeling down over Christmas. :hug:

A belated, but very heart felt Merry Christmas to anyone who hasn't unsubscribed from my poor trip report here! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

I ended up spending most of my pre-Christmas season with a horrible case of the blues, and all of my focus was really on keeping myself together. The worst moment being the night before Christmas eve when I thought I was going to start bawling in the middle of the grocery store because they were out of the beef tips I had been planning on cooking for Christmas Eve dinner. It wasn't pretty. I really had just wanted to curl up and be miserable by myself for the entire holiday, but I geared up and hosted a nice Christmas eve dinner for my parents and a few friends, went to midnight mass and spent a lovely afternoon Christmas day at my brother's house. I got snowed in the past two days due to the blizzard, so I ended up getting my alone time after all. I think the two days curled up on my sofa did me good. I knitted, set up my new hand me down Tivo, and just watched the bubble lights on my Christmas tree. It was lovely, and I feel a bit rejuvinated. Maybe I just needed some quality down time.

I'm using some down time at work today to work on my trip report, so it will be up in no time at all. Stay tuned!

I am still here :hug: My brand new laptop at work crashed today so I am set up on some crazy old computer now :rotfl: but I am here no matter what!! I took a mental health day from work yesterday to watch Disney movies and relax with my cat...sometimes you just need those days!!

I am still here :hug: My brand new laptop at work crashed today so I am set up on some crazy old computer now :rotfl: but I am here no matter what!! I took a mental health day from work yesterday to watch Disney movies and relax with my cat...sometimes you just need those days!!

Never underestimate the value of some good quality down time. We had some as well due to the snow, and there was a lot of curling up on the couch, watching TV / movies, and just enjoying being snowed in, so to speak. Glad to hear your holiday turned out well after all, and hopefully you're feeling better. :goodvibes

I hear you- I had a case of the Holiday blues BADLY this year. I felt like a lunatic & I also felt like bursting into tears a bunch of times. John & I were not getting along well over Christmas & then on Christmas Eve my cousin & her fiancee announced that they are getting married. That one set me off a bit since they have been together for a shorter time than John & I, she is younger, and it is her second marriage. The next day was good, though, and things are back to normal. Sorry for hijacking your TR- I can just relate to feeling down over Christmas. :hug:

It must have been one of those holidays. I wasn't helped by the fact that I put off everything until the two days before Christmas. :headache: I felt like everything was coming to a breaking point, and a complete breakdown was seconds away. My nieces usually help me feel better, but I had times this holiday watching them play with my brother and SIL, and was just wondering if they knew how lucky they were. The sadness was there, but it stayed away for the most part Christmas day. The girls just don't allow sadness.

Hope things are going better for you too!

I took a day yesterday too. I just wasn't up to battling the elements to get into the office. At least now I have a really short 3 day week! Woo Hoo!

Never underestimate the value of some good quality down time. We had some as well due to the snow, and there was a lot of curling up on the couch, watching TV / movies, and just enjoying being snowed in, so to speak. Glad to hear your holiday turned out well after all, and hopefully you're feeling better. :goodvibes

Down time is definitely worth it's weight in gold. I think I really needed some, and I'll have another few days of it coming up this weekend!

I didn't quite get my post finished, as editing and uploading the pics took longer than expected so I'll just leave you all with a Christmas day pic of me and my two favorite girls. It was a lovely Christmas thanks to them.

DSC04897_opt.jpg

I woke up Saturday surprisingly calm about the half marathon I'd be running later that night. After all the emotions and stress I had been feeling in the weeks leading up to this trip, I was feeling amazingly zen on race day. :)I was not worried, scared, or stressed over the race at all. At this point my feeling was que sera sera. I couldn't do anything else at this point to prepare myself for the race. Either I would suceed or I'd be picked up because I couldn't keep up the pace. I'd do my best and see what happens. Oddly enough I was feeling really good. :woohoo:

The race didn't start until 10 pm, and buses to the WWoS complex didn't start until about 7pm so we had an entire day to do as we liked. Our plan was to hit the Magic Kingdom, leisurely, before heading over to MGM for lunch. Race or not that day, we were up and heading over to the Grand Floridian Café for a 7:30 am breakfast ADR.

DSC04181_opt.jpg

This was my first time eating at the GF Café, and it ended up being a great choice. I would have loved to have Tonga Toast at the Poly, but figured that it wouldn't have been the best choice race day. The GF Café, made for a much more leisurely, quiet breakfast. I'd highly recommend it. My BFF and I both had the same thing.

Mega-Berry Smoothies (Yum!)

DSC04182_opt.jpg

And maple-vanilla french toast made with challah bread. Also utterly delicous! Both of us really liked this.

DSC04183_opt.jpg

Tummies well filled, and with time to spare we took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. I love all the fall decorations. I really missed them last year when I was there at Christmas time.

DSC04184_opt.jpg

DSC04185_opt.jpg

The crowds were light, and for the first time I got to meet the mayor of Main Street. Such occasions just call out for a photo oppourtunity.

DSC04189_opt.jpg

We stopped to play and have our pictures taken in front of the castle and for a few special Tink shots.

Photo0009FourBySix_opt.jpg

Photo0001FourBySix_opt.jpg

And for another few pictures over by the garden.

Photo0022FourBySix_opt.jpg

After that we just wandered. I decided at the last minute that I wasn't going to go into this trip with any real kind of touring plan in mind. I wasn't feeling up to it, and wanted to just experience the days as they happened. It was wonderful! Now I wouldn't advocate doing this at a busier time of year, during the fall when crowds are light you can't beat it.

I did have to make sure that I had my picture taken with my main duck when I saw him out in his frontier gear.

DSC04192_opt.jpg

And I took a few pictures of the Fantasyland construction. It just seemed weird seeing all those walls up around the MK.

DSC04194_opt.jpg

DSC04195_opt.jpg

DSC04197_opt.jpg

Even without rushing we managed to get through all the attractions in Fantasyland, Pirates, BTMR, the Haunted Mansion, the Tiki Birds and SM. We had to make a stop on one of my favorite rides before heading out of the park.

DSC04202_opt.jpg

I loved having the first car! I was such a geek taking video. I don't know why I love the Wedway Peoplemover so much.

We still had plenty of time before our ADR so we chose to take the monorail to Epcot and then cut through and take the boat to the studios. There was no line so we snuck a ride in on Space ship earth on the way.

DSC04205_opt.jpg

On our way into MGM, I thought of CP and stopped for a pic with Chelsea's main man. (Have to make sure he's keeping in line when she's not there).

DSC04211_opt.jpg

Still early for a 1pm ADR we stopped to ride the Great Movie Ride before lunch, and lucked out with the cowboy scene. We had to ask for it, but they had both running. I was surprised, as the crowds didn't seem to bad. Then again, we had missed the Toy Story Mania nonsense that morning.

DSC04212_opt.jpg

DSC04214_opt.jpg

Our lunch ADR was at the Sci Fi Dine In. I had been wanting to try this place for awhile now, and was determined to squeeze it in this trip. It might not have been the best choice before the race, but I didn't particularly care. I would have loved to take some pictures of the restaurant, but all mine came out lousy in the dim lighting. We got the back seat of a car, and managed to watch an entire pass of the film clips while we ate. They started repeating as we were paying the bill. I love the ambiance, and the goofy old film clips, but I have to say this was one of the quietest meals of our entire trip. It was a bit odd. I guess it was because of the seating. Everyone is sitting two by two focused on the screen. There is practically no talking at all. Still fun, but a bit weird.

I had the italian grilled chicken sandwich which had brushetta topping on it. I was good and had the cucumber-melon salad with it instead of fries, along with a diet cherry coke (the real kind). I really liked my sandwich. It was pretty tasty, and the salad was delicous. I ended up being glad I didn't go with the fries.

DSC04216_opt.jpg

My friend had the beef and blue salad. She wasn't really thrilled with hers. She was expecting something more salad like. Instead it was a big old hunk of iceberg lettuce with the steak on the side. She said it wasn't horrible, just weird. She wouldn't have ordered it again.

DSC04217_opt.jpg

After our meal we headed back to the room for a nap and some rest before the race. In just a few hours it would be marathon time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter