HNL Airport Car Rental Question

We booked through Alamo because of a good rate in 2016 for Oahu. We had a ford fiesta which for us was great. We only filled up on gas 1 time and then again just before we dropped the car off. A smaller car is better especially if you plan on driving tours. The smaller cars can get around the tight turns, windy roads IME and with traffic a smaller car was easier to maneuver. We had great gas mileage too. A ford fiesta however was for just my husband and I and one of our suitcases had to be in the backseat as not all would fit in the trunk. Still though it was great.

We pretty much always book with one of the majors but who ever is the cheapest. 80% of the time this turns out to be Dollar so off-site. We travel normally twice yearly and have 3 kids so there is 5 of us. Honestly the shuttles are not a big deal IMO.

When we leave we are fortunate that we tend to fly Hawaiian for every flight. That means we can utilize the SkyCaps. The husband drops me, the kids and our luggage at the SkyCap section. I check us and our luggage in whilst he returns the car. By the time I’m done he’s normally back on a return shuttle.

If you are flying Hawaiian then I really recommend using the valets - don’t know if they are elsewhere in the airport / whether you can use them for other airlines but they save so much time if you have luggage to check.

#1 NONE of the car rental companies are on the immediate HNL airport property but they are all super close by and a very short shuttle ride.
Incorrect. Several of them have their cars directly across from baggage claim. No shuttle needed.

Incorrect. Several of them have their cars directly across from baggage claim. No shuttle needed.

Umm, thanks. If you had read through the posts you would see the chronology of this. Please read my posts above.

And for those reading this, some of those "across from baggage claim" are a little big of a hike if you have small children and/or lots of baggage. As I mentioned earlier, some folks like to leave one person waiting for bags while the other one either walks or catches a shuttle to get their rental car and then swing back to get the family and baggage.

Our flight coming back to LAX leaves HNL 7 am on a Wednesday - so we just drive back to the actual Avis lot and get shuttled back to the airport, correct? Do we have to be at the airport at 5am (which means an earlier drop off at Avis)?

Thanks so much!
I highly recommend asking when you pick up your car what time they open and where to drop your car off if they're NOT open when you get there. (Don't settle for "oh we'll be open..." I've been burned by that--not there though).

We used Enterprise all over Hawaii and I highly recommend them (their customer service at the actual locations was outstanding). But we took that 7:00 flight to LAX and nobody told me (and I forgot to ask!) what to do if they were closed. But I pulled into their area, found a sign, and figured out what to do, and it worked out fine. Crap like that stresses out my not-very-well-traveled DH, though, so be prepared. Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks everyone for your information - can always count on the DIS!

I have two reservations left - Avis which is only $1 cheaper than Alamo. Avis is on-site but extra driver is not free, OR Alamo which is off-site but with a free extra driver.

Decisions, decisions!

I'd do extra driver, BUT I may or may not have just shared with friends or my DH driving. Never had issues, thankfully!

I got a midsize for $900 for 32 days last summer, so your initial large SUV price seems high (we've gotten a minivan for $600 for 2 weeks as well). I'm one that keeps checking though!

Hello!

Just looking for some info on which companies will not require a shuttle ride from the airport to their lots as I think I am getting different information.

I booked Alamo for a full size SUV for 10 days for around $1200 but Avis just showed an intermediate SUV for $431 so I wouldn’t mind the smaller vehicle for that much savings, but it’s changing car companies too. Are any of these two companies really on-site?

If you have rented from both, which one would you prefer?

Thanks and Happy Sunday!
We rented Advantage through Discount Hawaii Car Rental and they were excellent. Wheeled our luggage right across the walkway from the terminal exit and cars are right there on site. No need for a shuttle. I think National and others wee there too. But I can vouch that we did not need a shuttle for Advantage. That was a big benefit, especially when returning for our flight home. No hassles at all.

#1 NONE of the car rental companies are on the immediate HNL airport property but they are all super close by and a very short shuttle ride.

INCORRECT. Avis and Alamo are right in the parking lot. That is where we get our vehicles from. No shuttle required to pick up the vehicle.

INCORRECT. Avis and Alamo are right in the parking lot.

If you will read through the thread, you will see where I corrected. I have been to Aulani multiple stays, but it has been 3 or 4 years since last visit. Oahu is not the main Hawaiian island I visit. I go to a neighbor island annually. :cutie:

IF the car companies you mention are where I think they are, I would not want to drag my kids and luggage all that way across the parking lot. I would send one adult that will be driving and leave the other to gather luggage for pickup by the driver/rental car. For HNL, I usually get the best price from Dollar or Thrifty so I take the shuttle for the 3 or 4 blocks away for that location.

Last edited:
If you will read through the thread, you will see where I corrected. I have been to Aulani multiple stays, but it has been 3 or 4 years since last visit. Oahu is not the main Hawaiian island I visit. I go to a neighbor island annually. :cutie:

IF the car companies you mention are where I think they are, I would not want to drag my kids and luggage all that way across the parking lot. I would send one adult that will be driving and leave the other to gather luggage for pickup by the driver/rental car. For HNL, I usually get the best price from Dollar or Thrifty so I take the shuttle for the 3 or 4 blocks away for that location.

Just a gentle suggestion: maybe you could edit your previous post to state at the top that information in that post is incorrect so people don't keep calling you on it. :) Through many years on the boards, I've learned that many people don't read thru all the posts in a thread. I do, but I'm weird that way!

Just a gentle suggestion: maybe you could edit your previous post to state at the top that information in that post is incorrect so people don't keep calling you on it. :) Through many years on the boards, I've learned that many people don't read thru all the posts in a thread. I do, but I'm weird that way!

Point well taken, 94Bruin. :cutie: And DONE. :D Another forum I frequent only allows editing within a very short window, or you must delete the entire post. I really had not noticed the "edit" button stays here on the Dis. Thanks for the very gracious info. :flower3: Hope your day is awesome!

Has anyone found/used any codes/coupons that were better than booking directly through the Costco site? I'm not a member of Costco but would certainly join if this is the best deal everyone has found.

Thanks!

Has anyone found/used any codes/coupons that were better than booking directly through the Costco site? I'm not a member of Costco but would certainly join if this is the best deal everyone has found.

Thanks!

For our annual trips to the Hawaiian islands, I almost always find my best rental car rates via Costco Travel. The other site I often find good deals is: www.discounthawaiicarrental.com In my experience, the best way to book a rental car for Hawaii is to grab a car you would be happy driving at the best rate you can find as FAR IN ADVANCE as you can. *Key*: do NOT book any kind of prepaid car! ONLY book a car rez that requires NO prepayment, NO CC#, and has zero cancellation fees. That way you can keep checking rates and if you find one better as your trip nears, you simply cancel the first rez and keep the new and better deal! :thumbsup2

I booked a car for our Aulani trip next Feb. months ago, and looking at the rates right now is just plain SCARY! :scared1: Often when the dates get quite close, rates can drop, but believe me, they do NOT always drop. And THOSE are my very best Hawaii car rental tips! ::yes::

I agree with others who recommending booking but then keep checking. Costco does often have good rates and I had bookings through them several times over the course of my planning but ended up with a booking direct with Hertz using an AAA special that was $100 cheaper than anything available through Costco at the time.
Hertz used to be so much more expensive than everyone but multiple times recently (also in Las Vegas and LA) I've actually gotten great rates through them. Make sure to join their Gold Rewards program too (its free). Makes pickup SOOO easy.

Make sure to join their Gold Rewards program too (its free). Makes pickup SOOO easy.

This is good advice for whatever car rental company one uses. :thumbsup2 Joining their loyalty program can help expedite your car pickup with pretty much all the companies.

Do you have to be a Costco member at the time you book the car? Do you book it directly through Costco Travel or use a Costco code and book through the rental car company? If so, is there any problem cancelling the reservation if I find a better rate? (To cancel do you have to go through Costco or contact the car rental agency directly?

Sorry for the questions, using Costco is new to me.

Do you have to be a Costco member at the time you book the car? Do you book it directly through Costco Travel or use a Costco code and book through the rental car company? If so, is there any problem cancelling the reservation if I find a better rate? (To cancel do you have to go through Costco or contact the car rental agency directly?

Sorry for the questions, using Costco is new to me.

Yes, you do have to be a Costco member when you book. You can check rates without being a member, however. The booking is through Costco Travel and you cancel on the Costco Travel site which is very easy to do.

Yes, you do have to be a Costco member when you book. You can check rates without being a member, however. The booking is through Costco Travel and you cancel on the Costco Travel site which is very easy to do.

Thanks a million!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter