Highway in the Sky Dine Around with Wishes viewing area

Have to say, when I told dh about it, including things like 10 minute bathroom warnings, etc., his reply was, "That seems like a distinctly unpleasant evening. For $300 a couple, why not go to one signature restaurant, relax and use the price difference on a great bottle of wine?"

A friend and I will be visiting later this year during the F&W Festival and her comment was essentially the same -- "Who wants to run around on the monorail all night getting a bite here and a bite there and being hustled as a group to the next stop, instead of just settling in for a nice dinner in one location."

The bathroom "warnings" were a non-issue. It's more realistic to say that they came around and let you know that we were moving on to a new location and that we should wrap up our conversation and just gather our things for the next stop. They were very willing to wait up if someone was finishing a course or needed a bit longer in the restroom.

I would say that the added value to this experience is the attention to detail and the excellent service. At every stop we were met by one of the chefs or the lead restaurant staff, and three CMs were with us the entire time. I did not feel hustled about from place to place. To the contrary, I felt that we were catered to and I enjoyed seeing the variety of restaurants in one evening.

The other big difference was the social atmosphere. I am not an extrovert by any means, but I was amazed at how friendly the other people in our group were. It was as if all 26 of us wanted to get to know each other, and we all held a common interest in Disney. No one felt awkward about starting up a conversation, and I was really surprised and impressed by the feel of the night.

One last comment about the size of the group - I knew that there was 1 spot available for the night I was interested in, but one day out of the blue 2 were available, and I grabbed them. I thought it was a cancellation. Julie (our main CM) explained that the groups were originally set at 25, but they changed them to 26 in order to facilitate seating at Citricos. So the 1 spot in my case became 2, and I got the lucky pair for me and my friend. So the groups are set at 26, and Julie and her team are very aware that the intimate size of the group is an essential part of this experience! I can't thank the CMs enough - they were wonderful.

Am I the only one that is beginning to suspect that as we are halfway through its run and the dates have not been extended past March, that it might not become a regular offer? Fingers crossed they keep it, but I check every day to see if they add more dates, and am disappointed every time.

They do seem to be all about finding limited time offerings to sell as add ons. Making them limited time I guess increases the interest since it's not something you can say "I like that but I'll wait and do it on another trip". I'm learning if there is an event you like held during your trip you best try it because it may not be there next time

Plus accountants may still be crunching the numbers to see if the profits justify keeping it?

Did the pea soup replace the butternut squash soup permanently? I know they can't please every palate but I really don't care for pea soup. I was so looking forward to the butternut squash soup. I also don't eat fish. It's not an allergy I just hate fish. I really was looking forward to doing this event but now I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be wasted on me. :sad2:

Did the pea soup replace the butternut squash soup permanently? I know they can't please every palate but I really don't care for pea soup. I was so looking forward to the butternut squash soup. I also don't eat fish. It's not an allergy I just hate fish. I really was looking forward to doing this event but now I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be wasted on me. :sad2:

I think they may change some things seasonally. And I'm sure if you tell them about the fish, they will give you something else.

So, I'm traveling in April and I've been stalking this event, hoping it will get extended - I know that there are others like me out there! But, I think at this point, I might have to let it go and I really wanted to try it! Now with ROL starting and that taking up a night - my sisters don't want every night "scheduled". We really wanted to try this but our FP window is opening in a couple of days and we just want to keep a few things nailed down and not have to reshuffle again. I get that it's new and in a testing phase, but at some point, planners gotta plan...

So, I just needed to lament...carry on....

Of course, even as I write this, I will keep reading your reviews and I know if it gets extended to our trip I will try to reshuffle and convince my sisters, as it sounds so fun, so really just disregard my ramblings...

I think they may change some things seasonally. And I'm sure if you tell them about the fish, they will give you something else.

I was just sitting here thinking I'm probably going to have to go eat afterwards because I'm not a big fish eater either. I will eat non-fishy tasting fish but I know the appetizer at the Poly will be going to my son and the scallops at Citricos. I just plan on filling up on the other stuff and enjoying the night. I'll also skip the pork belly, I'm from Georgia, that's just fat back to us and we season with it, not eat it. Again, my son will most likely eat mine, he's kind of the "give it to Mikey he'll eat anything" kind of person.

So, I'm traveling in April and I've been stalking this event, hoping it will get extended - I know that there are others like me out there! But, I think at this point, I might have to let it go and I really wanted to try it! Now with ROL starting and that taking up a night - my sisters don't want every night "scheduled". We really wanted to try this but our FP window is opening in a couple of days and we just want to keep a few things nailed down and not have to reshuffle again. I get that it's new and in a testing phase, but at some point, planners gotta plan...

So, I just needed to lament...carry on....

Of course, even as I write this, I will keep reading your reviews and I know if it gets extended to our trip I will try to reshuffle and convince my sisters, as it sounds so fun, so really just disregard my ramblings...

We are also April travelers. I ended up booking a dinner package for ROL since HitS has not (yet) been extended. I'll need to decide again if it does, but it's going to be either one or the other. Too much scheduled!

Like others, we were so excited to add this to our spring trip...but we are beginning to lose hope it will be extended. Still keeping our fingers crossed, we have a throw-a-way dinner booked one night that we really hope we can replace with this!

We are also April travelers. I ended up booking a dinner package for ROL since HitS has not (yet) been extended. I'll need to decide again if it does, but it's going to be either one or the other. Too much scheduled![/QUOTE
QUOTE]

We booked a ROL package too and I'm really excited for it since I had foolishly hoped to catch it on our trip last spring! We're doing a garden rocks concerts package too since it's a band we want to see. But anyway, the three of us only have four nights, and we want to keep a couple nights open, hence the possible dilemma. My sister and I talked about it this morning and decided firmly that we were taking HinS off the table! We then acknowledged that if it's extended, it's probably in play, lol...

Last edited:
NEW & figured it might interest some interested in Highway...

Celebration at the Top – Sip, Savor, Sparkle Debuts February 26 at California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort

Imagine being able to delight in the sparkle of the Magic Kingdom fireworks spectacular from an intimate and private observation deck. Celebration at the Top, a new dining event coming to California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, can be perfectly summed up in three words: savor, sip, sparkle.

Celebration at the Top guests can check in at California Grill an hour before fireworks. After being whisked up to the California Grill, which sits on the 15th floor of Disney’s Contemporary Resort, guests will be taken to the intimate and secluded banquet rooms. Enjoy canapés, a selection of sushi rolled by the expert California Grill sushi chefs, a selection of flatbreads and other small plates. A complimentary bar offering craft beers, California wines, cordials and coffee will also be available.

top958679438.jpg

Just before the night spectacular begins, guests will be lead to their private observation deck, which offers stunning views of Magic Kingdom park and the fireworks. After taking in the breathtaking sights and sounds, guests can return to the private room for petit four desserts including decadent chocolate confections and fruit tarts.

Reservations for Celebration at the Top are now open for Thursday evenings from February 26 to March 26. Cost is $99 per person, plus tax and gratuity. Complimentary valet parking is included.

NEW & figured it might interest some interested in Highway...

Celebration at the Top – Sip, Savor, Sparkle Debuts February 26 at California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort

Imagine being able to delight in the sparkle of the Magic Kingdom fireworks spectacular from an intimate and private observation deck. Celebration at the Top, a new dining event coming to California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, can be perfectly summed up in three words: savor, sip, sparkle.

Celebration at the Top guests can check in at California Grill an hour before fireworks. After being whisked up to the California Grill, which sits on the 15th floor of Disney’s Contemporary Resort, guests will be taken to the intimate and secluded banquet rooms. Enjoy canapés, a selection of sushi rolled by the expert California Grill sushi chefs, a selection of flatbreads and other small plates. A complimentary bar offering craft beers, California wines, cordials and coffee will also be available.

top958679438.jpg

Just before the night spectacular begins, guests will be lead to their private observation deck, which offers stunning views of Magic Kingdom park and the fireworks. After taking in the breathtaking sights and sounds, guests can return to the private room for petit four desserts including decadent chocolate confections and fruit tarts.

Reservations for Celebration at the Top are now open for Thursday evenings from February 26 to March 26. Cost is $99 per person, plus tax and gratuity. Complimentary valet parking is included.

I wonder if it's in place of Highway in the Sky for now since that still hasn't been extended. Hmmmmmmmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!