He's with the Band! a DL Performing Arts TR- 7/13/15 A little Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum!

That's pure BS that the room wasn't ready at 4PM and they told you that the Villas are ready at 5PM. I'm pretty sure the rules say 4PM although I have had to wait until 5PM as well. Not happy about that.

I don't care for the swinging gondolas on MFWOD either! The stationary ones are just fine, and great for getting pictures, but the swinging ones, don't do it for me. They are more annoying than anything and since you can't choose your car mates, I would be afraid of what the other party might do! :eek:

Those trees sure have grown up over the years blocking the view into DCA, pretty soon even the sixth floor won't be a fabulous view! I'm glad I have my pictures from the first year when the trees were still small. You could see from the second floor back then!

Oh Yes the MFWoD. Beautiful views but at a price. :rotfl2:

Nice they tell you the room won't be ready until 5 and they do the villas last. Way to treat a DVC owner... :crazy2:

Then to get the no text treatment? That stinks.

A crowded but lovely Easter Day at CA. :goodvibes

Look like you got a nice corner villa.

Hope you get a good viewing spot for the parade. :crowded:

Sounds like a good arrival day.

I will have to remember that restaurant for next year.

The brunch sounded nice.

Yeah for the AP and extra months.

I cannot wait to see the Carsland area next year or California Adventure being I have not seen that at all. Love the pics.

I want to try the swinging ferris wheel. I think. LOL.

The room situation would have annoyed me. Nice view.

I am all caught up again, finally.

Merry Christmas!

(I know I got to the other thread earlier; but I wanted to post those wishes here as well :goodvibes)

Lovely, LOVELY updates! Brings back so many memories of my last trip there with my mom and aunt just before she passed away. My last and lingering memory of her. We laughed and cried, and enjoyed every minute of our time together. Thank you, thank you for your TR and letting my re-live, even if only vicariously, my time there.

:goodvibes

I can TOTALLY relate to the Mickey's Wheel of Death! UGH, I call it Puke-Inducer. :sick: We came off about ready to ralph. Yes, great view. Yes, amazing Cal smell and sights and sound. But only ALMOST worth it.

It doesn't make me nauseous thankfully, it just freaks me out.

Apparently this, and the astro orbitor are the 2 Disney rides I really have issues with. Clearly a height thing. I'm not crazy about regular ferris wheels.

Haven't done the swings. Need to put that on the list for next time.

Yay for parade time!

The silly swings? Or the jelly fish? We will have an update later on at least one of those.

Ahhh. Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death. Believe it or not, we quite like the swinging gondolas. But I can totally understand not wanting to go on it. It is one of those rides where the pits of your stomach gets to reacquaint themselves with the top of your lungs.

It's really not a tummy issue, just a height freak out one.

That's a shame that the room wasn't ready until after 5 pm. I did not know that the villa check in was after 5. I could have sworn they were 4 pm.

It IS at 4pm. Pretty positive there aren't different rules for just the VGC! I was NOT happy.

Looking forward to the parade. :thumbsup2

Parade will be soon!

What kind of garbage were they trying to pass off? It specifically says on the reservation that check-in is at 4:00. I'm sorry you sat around waiting that long :(

It was total garbage, and I knew it but what are you going to do?

Oh wait I know what, you go to the bar and have a drink! :lmao:

I was expecting the swinging cars to swing more :rotfl: I liked it but was expecting more. I think I'm a rare one in that respect....

They SLIDE more than swing. I'd probably like swinging only more than the slide aspect. That's the part that freaks me out.

Isn't that Goofy show too cute. I love all those extras they have going on.

Nice view from the room.

LOVED the Goofy show!

Very fun! I bet it's fun to watch from ground level too. :rotfl:

I actually think it was cooler from above

I don't blame you in the least. I remember seeing that thing for first time, realizing the cars slid, and wondering what maniac would actually enjoy that.

The sliding part is the worst. Swinging I think I could handle better

Very cool shot!

Another neat one!:thumbsup2

Yay for mom's camera and good telephoto! She did well.

I really liked that area as well. Of course I also love the Wilderness Lodge...

How can you not like Wilderness Lodge?

Man, it's like it's a major holiday weekend or something. :rotfl:

Except oddly enough...it was the least crowded day in the parks for the whole week. Which is NOT what we had expected. of course at the time we didn't realize that. Guess everyone was checking in for the week and not in the parks.

Holiday weekend and apparently still a LOT of spring breaks. Which I didn't expect either given how late Easter was but apparently a lot of schools tie it to Easter, versus a certain week of a month like we do.

Urge to kill...rising...

Yes, I had to remove myself from being able to even see the front desk!

Not too shabby!

It worked! Higher would have been nicer but it worked.

The Christmas run looks like a lot of fun... you know, if you're into that whole running thing. Kind of a neat concept.

It was surreal, check out the video. Total trip!

Your day at California Adventure looks fun. And I'm glad you went on the wheel of death, even though you didn't want to. I assume all that mess of fountains and lines in the water below is for WoC? Interesting pictures!

Yep, those are the WoC jets

But Goofy conducting the water? Really? I've seen Fantasmic, Mickey is the one who controls the water! :lmao:

He conducted, I think Mickey is using sorcery. LOL! It was SO fun to watch!

Sorry about the check in ordeal with your room. I went through that a couple of years ago at Coronado Springs. Really, if check in time is 4... have the room ready by 4!!! If you can't have it ready by then, don't advertise it as such! :headache:

I seem to have that happen more and more, such a bummer. REALLY hoping it isn't 4pm when Ann and I go for PHM. Given how very very early we land. However, it's President's week so I am thinking it may well be 4pm. Which will be a major drag and we may nap at the pool.

Boo to the room ordeal. That is ridiculous that villas aren't ready until after 5. Glad you finally got in though.

I think it was a line, the rules say 4!

CA looked like so much fun. I didn't mind MFWoD but I see why people hate it. :)

Jill in CO

It's the sliding that gets me. We had a blast in DCA that day and got on so much more than I was expecting with the holiday.

:woohoo: for Paradise Pier.

Glad you took a spin on California Screamin!

It really may be my favorite all around coaster

Wow, you really took one for the team on Mickey's Fun Wheel. I did the swinging once with Ben. Done with that! The view are better from the ones that don't move.

I'd likely freak out on those as well, it is a height issue.

This is the first picture I have seen where the rock formation looks like a bear. It looks like a wolf to me in most views.

It really does

What a bummer about the wait for your room. Glad you got a view you were happy with. I hope we get to see what it looks like at night. CA is such a beautiful park in the dark.

:thumbsup2

It is beautiful in the dark!

That's pure BS that the room wasn't ready at 4PM and they told you that the Villas are ready at 5PM. I'm pretty sure the rules say 4PM although I have had to wait until 5PM as well. Not happy about that.

Me either. I know the rules and that it was wrong but what could I do?

I don't care for the swinging gondolas on MFWOD either! The stationary ones are just fine, and great for getting pictures, but the swinging ones, don't do it for me. They are more annoying than anything and since you can't choose your car mates, I would be afraid of what the other party might do! :eek:

I didn't even think of that part. We have always had a enough that I knew all my car mates. I wouldn't like that.

The sliding freaks me out but so does the height so I'd likely have issues on the non sliding as well.

Those trees sure have grown up over the years blocking the view into DCA, pretty soon even the sixth floor won't be a fabulous view! I'm glad I have my pictures from the first year when the trees were still small. You could see from the second floor back then!

I didn't even think of that. The tree definitely was a view blocker!

Oh Yes the MFWoD. Beautiful views but at a price. :rotfl2:

Yes, a price I hope not to pay again. Worth it in the end but UGH!

Nice they tell you the room won't be ready until 5 and they do the villas last. Way to treat a DVC owner... :crazy2:

Then to get the no text treatment? That stinks.

A crowded but lovely Easter Day at CA. :goodvibes

The hotel was crowded, the park, not so bad at all! It was actually the least crowded day we had but we didn't know that then.

Not happy with our check in experience at all.

Look like you got a nice corner villa.

Hope you get a good viewing spot for the parade. :crowded:

It was decent, not the best view there is but better than many.

Sounds like a good arrival day.

I will have to remember that restaurant for next year.

Do, it was outstanding!

The brunch sounded nice.

Yeah for the AP and extra months.

Very happy about the extra months, it means a full extra trip!

I cannot wait to see the Carsland area next year or California Adventure being I have not seen that at all. Love the pics.

you will LOVE carsland!

I want to try the swinging ferris wheel. I think. LOL.

Everyone should try it once, it is different that is for sure.

The room situation would have annoyed me. Nice view.

I am all caught up again, finally.

I was very uhappy about the check in delay, it definitely stressed me out on a day that overall was perfectly lovely otherwise. It also had some ramifications that came into play later.

Merry Christmas!

(I know I got to the other thread earlier; but I wanted to post those wishes here as well :goodvibes)

Merry merry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope yours was magical.

Cool army man photo of him pointing at you!

Your mom grabbed some good photos of you and Eric on Screamin' :thumbsup2

So when we went to Disneyland this past October, my SIL and MIL wanted to ride the Death Wheel and I told them i'd do it for them, but I hate this ride. They didn't understand why, until we got to the part where it started sliding backward and the look on their faces while we were moving was pure terror. I even had to reassure them that it was fine and it was supposed to do this, then they immediately died with laughter! That was probably my only fun experience ever on that ride, was with them, because of their constant laughter. :lmao:

I TOTALLY agree with you on that walkway section of that side of the park. Definitely has that CA feel to it, and I love being over there.

I thought the room was guaranteed by 4?? I would have been ticked.:furious:

Cool army man photo of him pointing at you!

Your mom grabbed some good photos of you and Eric on Screamin' :thumbsup2

Mom does much better than I with the camera. Granted, she has better toys and actually knows what she is doing!

So when we went to Disneyland this past October, my SIL and MIL wanted to ride the Death Wheel and I told them i'd do it for them, but I hate this ride. They didn't understand why, until we got to the part where it started sliding backward and the look on their faces while we were moving was pure terror. I even had to reassure them that it was fine and it was supposed to do this, then they immediately died with laughter! That was probably my only fun experience ever on that ride, was with them, because of their constant laughter. :lmao:

Exactly, that first, or second deep slide backwards is the major freak out park. YUCK! Nice that they found it funny though.

I TOTALLY agree with you on that walkway section of that side of the park. Definitely has that CA feel to it, and I love being over there.

It's funny, some people love the smell of the beach club, others main street and for whatever reason, that area has a magic Disney smell to it to me. LOVE it. Even though all I am really doing there is walking through it. Go figure.

I thought the room was guaranteed by 4?? I would have been ticked.:furious:

It is supposed to be by 4! I was not happy.

Walking into the park we debated where to be for photos. The band would start on Main Street and end at It’s a Small World. We walked the route and though that over by the Matterhorn would give us the best photo op.

We saw many families we knew along the way and went and scoped out a spot.

And then hit the restroom. :rotfl:

And then my mom decided to move to a different spot, I think she may have been using her tripod. I can’t recall. We stayed where we were. I seem to recall someone else coming in and either asking if they could sit in front of us, or if their child could. The parade route was packed. We would be “opening” for the evening showing of the Soundsational Parade so folks were lined up for that. I explained that my child was in the band that would be coming first and then I'd be happy to let their child in front of that was ok but I wanted to be able to take pictures and not worry about stepping on someone. They were fine with that.

Let's have a parade! I'm going to try to start with the actual beginning....sort of I've got a mess of photo’s from various sources. The school, other parents, my mom and myself. I'll let the pictures tell the story!

Main Street itself is fairly congested and hard to get a shot of. As I wasn't down there when they started, this is all I have and its like BAM, here they are! According to those on the scene that is exactly what it felt like. And them a BAM they are gone!

Of course the main street shots do NOT include any of Evan. WAH!

This was the view I saw as they came around the corner towards the Matterhorn

Road closed, sorry folks!

There they are!

Want a better look?

Smile girls!

Poms up!

The highland dancers (Lassies) were not dancing, c'mon girls!

Hey look, that's my kid!

Continued in next post

Continued from previous

Zooming out a bit

Heading towards It's a Small World and the finish line now

Seriously, Evan is looking RIGHT at the camera here! Cracks me up.

Oh man! NOW they start dancing, right after they pass me!

Here come the flags!

Go flags! I was in flag corps in HS, a ton of fun. Cheer and band too so I did many a parade myself, first year playing the clarinet, 2nd year playing mallets (bells/xylophone) 3rd year cheer, 4th year flags. Our HS only allowed you do do cheer one year, either Junior or Senior year and you had to try out in front of the entire school and they voted. Craziness! It was fun though. These uniforms are WAY cuter than ours were (they were our rival back in my day, now my school is closed).

And....that's IT! The literally disappeared out a gate next to ITSWAA and they were GONE...........

IT was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ridiculously fast and over it was insane. A friend got a video but somehow I've never been able to get it from him despite him trying to send it at the time. Not really sure what happened to it but I need to try again, I just saw him yesterday and didn't even think about it!

It was also SOOOOOOOOOOOO cool! It was warm out. Those poor kids melted. They were in full wool dress kilts and were in them at least an hour before the parade started. One of Evan's best friends said he sweated in places he didn't know could sweat. :rotfl: I really wish it could have been a lot longer but it was incredibly magical as it was.

I feel so blessed that my kids can have this experience, that they want this experience, that they love music, and band and that my community is just as strong as it was in my high school days in this area and that this magic can continue through my kids.

We blinked and then it was over. SNIFF!

Now that the main event was over, what next?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

mickstartuptheband.gif

gooftrombone.png

Great pictures of the band and of Evan! Thanks for sharing.

I can only imagine how proud and happy you must have felt to see your child marching down the parade route in Disneyland. So happy for you! :goodvibes

Happy New Year to you too! May 2015 be filled with happy, healthy and keep us all safe.

How absolutely FUN!!!! I love a parade; the more marching bands, the better!

So great you did get at least some good photos. The closeup of your "little" tromboning man is perfect!

I was drum major in 9th grade, so know exactly their sentiments on sweating! :faint: We definitely had more than one passer-outer...

Wow, how magical to see your own kid marching in DL!! Totally cool!

We are wrapping up our trip (we left WDW last Sunday, we're in Key West now), and DS was asking when we're going back to Disneyland...it's been a few years, and there's lots of new stuff to see, so we need to get those plans in motion!

Happy New Year to you and yours :goodvibes

Happy New Year!

Yeah, that's pretty awesome to have been able to see your kid in a parade at Disneyland. And it may not be such a bad thing that it was over so fast if it was that hot out. :lmao: Hey, a parade in Disneyland is a parade in Disneyland, no matter how long it takes to complete it.

The band, dancers and flags all look great! It looks like they did a fine job getting everyone ready for the performance.

And I'm glad that your kids all have their passions to pursue, and hats off to you for being there for them despite your busy work schedule. Even if it means taking pieces of band uniforms to Hawaii to work on. :rotfl:

Even though they passed you by so quickly, for them I'm sure it was quite a bit longer. Not as long as a regular parade, but I'm sure it was a cool experience. We have never marched as you need 50+ for a marching group, only 15+ for onstage, so we make that easily, like the orchestra did.

Awesome that he was on the outside ranks so you could get pictures of him. I was thinking from the first pictures that the director had weird placement (as trombones are usually in front, 76 trombones led the big parade....and all) but then I realized that the moms were taking pics from the middle, yours showed the real placements.

I'm sure it was a time of a life for him. If he ever relocates to So Cal, he can play with our band and play on the other stage every year! We don't discriminate!

What an awesome awesome experience for everybody! :) they all looked fabulous. Bummer about the heat but I'm sure they were glad it wasn't longer.

Great pictures of the band and of Evan! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I can only imagine how proud and happy you must have felt to see your child marching down the parade route in Disneyland. So happy for you! :goodvibes

It was an amazingly cool thing for all of us

Happy New Year to you too! May 2015 be filled with happy, healthy and keep us all safe.

Wishing you a magical 2015!

How absolutely FUN!!!! I love a parade; the more marching bands, the better!

I love that kind of parade too!

So great you did get at least some good photos. The closeup of your "little" tromboning man is perfect!

Yeah, he is not so little now! At that point he had passed me by a couple of inches. 8 months later and it's more like 4!

Mom get credit for the money shot!

I was drum major in 9th grade, so know exactly their sentiments on sweating! :faint: We definitely had more than one passer-outer...

We had horrendous traditional uniforms but never marched in anything that was too awful. DM in 9th? That's amazing. Here it is always a senior position although there is a junior drum major. The guy who is the junior DM this year wants Evan to try out for it in the spring. We will see!

Wow, how magical to see your own kid marching in DL!! Totally cool!

It was magical!

We are wrapping up our trip (we left WDW last Sunday, we're in Key West now), and DS was asking when we're going back to Disneyland...it's been a few years, and there's lots of new stuff to see, so we need to get those plans in motion!

Happy New Year to you and yours :goodvibes

Oh how lovely, looks like the weather was MUCH nicer than last year. I need to get DH down to DL, he's missed out on all the new stuff. We will be there in 2018 most likely but I'm not sure about anything before that which is a bit sad!

Happy New Year!

Yeah, that's pretty awesome to have been able to see your kid in a parade at Disneyland. And it may not be such a bad thing that it was over so fast if it was that hot out. :lmao: Hey, a parade in Disneyland is a parade in Disneyland, no matter how long it takes to complete it.

It was. And really, pick any parade, unless you walk with the band or they stop and perform in front of you, it's going to be short.

The band, dancers and flags all look great! It looks like they did a fine job getting everyone ready for the performance.

They did, the kids had a blast. As much as they liked the parade honestly I think they may have liked the recording session even better.

And I'm glad that your kids all have their passions to pursue, and hats off to you for being there for them despite your busy work schedule. Even if it means taking pieces of band uniforms to Hawaii to work on. :rotfl:

:rotfl: I can't believe you remembered that!

Even though they passed you by so quickly, for them I'm sure it was quite a bit longer. Not as long as a regular parade, but I'm sure it was a cool experience. We have never marched as you need 50+ for a marching group, only 15+ for onstage, so we make that easily, like the orchestra did.

Combined we are about 150 including flags, pipes, lassies, cheer and the band. He's yet to do a full parade but will have that this spring in Victoria.

Awesome that he was on the outside ranks so you could get pictures of him. I was thinking from the first pictures that the director had weird placement (as trombones are usually in front, 76 trombones led the big parade....and all) but then I realized that the moms were taking pics from the middle, yours showed the real placements.

Yes! Trombones get lead billing and he was front row 2nd in so easty to spot but also goes by fast! It goes cheer, lassies, pipers, drum major, then the brass, drum line,winds, flags.

I'm sure it was a time of a life for him. If he ever relocates to So Cal, he can play with our band and play on the other stage every year! We don't discriminate!

Oh he would LOVE that!

What an awesome awesome experience for everybody! :) they all looked fabulous. Bummer about the heat but I'm sure they were glad it wasn't longer.

Oh it was lovely out, just perfect! Not so perfect if you were in a full wool dress kilt though.

It was an amazing experience for all of us.

Yeah, he is not so little now! At that point he had passed me by a couple of inches. 8 months later and it's more like 4!

Mom get credit for the money shot!

We had horrendous traditional uniforms but never marched in anything that was too awful. DM in 9th? That's amazing. Here it is always a senior position although there is a junior drum major. The guy who is the junior DM this year wants Evan to try out for it in the spring. We will see!

I know! They grow up so danged fast! ALL mine, except Anara, has passed me up- and she's only a couple inches behind. Seems like just yesterday my Zachy was a little boy. :(

Mom always has your back. ;)

Yes! He should totally try out for DM!!!!! Do I need to come up there and get him pumped up for it?!

What a cool experience for the band! Love their uniforms! I was in marching band back in HS....I don't miss the Pee Wee Herman shoes we had to wear.

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter