Help! Tips for taking Dad!

SG131

DIS Veteran
So I’m pretty familiar with Disney and have been traveling solo a lot lately and a few times with my mother. My dad usually stays home with the dogs. He used to go down regularly when I was a teenager but probably hasn’t been down in 10-15 years. However, he is very excited about Star Wars opening and wants to go back again and I’m just not sure how to do it.

He is 70 and has had a lot of issues with his body, surgeries on neck back elbows ankles knees you name it he’s done it. He is now at the point where his ankles are both so bad he can barely walk and the dr said they can’t do much more for him. So how do I get him around Disney? I’m hoping to convince him to get a scooter but he isn’t very open to the idea. I’m also worried about lines. Not only is walking a problem, but he also can’t stand or sit still for long periods either because all his joints stiffen up.

I know I will have to go at a pace slower than my 10 miles a day Norm, which is fine because I just got a pass for the first time and have covered all the stuff I wanted to see and catch up on so this trip will be for him. But I’m afraid with his mobility issues he won’t enjoy himself. Any advice would be a big help!

Honestly, if he can't walk or sit or stand still for long periods, I can't see how a visit wouod work.

ECV requires sitting the entire time, or temporarily switching off with someone.
Wheelchair requires sitting all/most of the time, sometimes switching off by using it as a rollator for support.
Rollator requires operation by the user most of the time, sometimes sitting to rest when not moving.

Add in that the WDW attractions take anywhere from one to 30 minutes, I hate to sound negative, but it doesn't sound realistic.

How about bringing a rollator? He can switch between sitting and standing as needed.

First question is how long is “for long”? Can he sit for the length of the typical ride? If so then I think a manual wheelchair might be the better option in his case. He would be able to switch between sitting and using it as a walker as needed. If he is one of those people who has to constantly be up and down then this is going to be trickier.

How about bringing a rollator? He can switch between sitting and standing as needed.
That might be an option (still need to convince him to use it). Are those allowed in the park?

First question is how long is “for long”? Can he sit for the length of the typical ride? If so then I think a manual wheelchair might be the better option in his case. He would be able to switch between sitting and using it as a walker as needed. If he is one of those people who has to constantly be up and down then this is going to be trickier.
He can definitely sit for the length of a ride, after about 30 min he starts getting very fidgetty and I'd say after about 45 min has to stand and pace a bit. I'm not sure I would be able to push him in a manual wheel chair, he's not a small guy.

I know in all reality the trip is going to be VERY difficult, but he is determined to go. I've only ever been to WDW, I know Disneyland is a bit smaller, would that be a little bit easier walking wise? I think I might be able to convince him to try that location since we've never been there if it might be a better fit.

Hi, SG131.

That might be an option (still need to convince him to use it). Are those allowed in the park?

Yes, rollators and walkers are allowed in Disney. But be careful when he sits down on a rollator that he doesn't tilt backward. Even with a flimsy backrest or support, it is a matter of balance when sitting down just right so that I don't fall backward. Teach him to sit down with the rollator against a wall for extra support with the rollator wheels locked. I am always very careful when sitting down in my rollator. But this may just be my personal experience feeling uncomfortable or feeling like I will fall backward when sitting.

I'm not sure I would be able to push him in a manual wheelchair, he's not a small guy.

I lot of caregivers figure this out while at Disney over uneven pavement or hills when pushing a family member in a wheelchair. Or if they rented a cheaper wheelchair not meant for a heavier weighted rider or poorly designed wheelchair. If the wheelchair rider could see the strain or how difficult it was the caregiver to push them like another person watching from afar, the rider would understand the difficulty.

As mentioned before, mobility scooter might be a better choice. He could get up whenever he wanted and the caregiver could briefly ride the mobility scooter while he was standing or walking.

You might have seen several guests do this at Disney. I would imagine for two reasons. Both guests need the mobility scooter at some point and yet both need to walk about also. Or both guest can't afford two mobility scooter and share one. I am just guessing here, I really don't know for sure.

It would be ideal if your father could visit a mobility store in your area. I know over the past decade land-based stores are far and between to find since most stores have gone to online stores.

Just explain this to him so that he can understand the different options.

If a local store was not available, see if you could go to the website and call the "Gold Mobility Scooters" store at:

Ask for Vick. He is always very helpful.

Current attraction run times https://wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/ridelength.htm

Are you saying he could sit for 30, or (unlikely to occur) stand for, or walk for 30? Judicious planning might make it possible.
Can sit for 30 min, not sure how long he could stand for, maybe 20 min, definitely can’t walk for 30 minutes. Maybe 15, but he doesn’t get all that far in that amount of time. The more I think about it based on what everyone is saying it sounds like a scooter is the best option and then if he needs to park it and move around a bit he can.

Im hoping they have some sort of paid after hours for Star Wars we can do to minimize his wait time in the line for those rides and then just avoid anything else that has a long wait. I couldn’t push him in a wheelchair through a queue for an hr esp ones that involve ramps and he couldn’t stand that long.

If you are unable to push him in a wheelchair, I really don't see an option other than an EVC. A rollator would need him to walk for place to place. Just getting from transportation to the gate to the closest ride is quite a hike in any park.

Just throwing an idea out there.....is there a way to hook/ hang a walker (not a rollator) onto a EVC? Dad might want to walk a bit but still need something to hold onto. I don't know myself. We have only used a wheelchair. I push my DH about 80% of the time but the steeper sections, he will walk them.

Just throwing an idea out there.....is there a way to hook/ hang a walker (not a rollator) onto a EVC?
Pretty sure there is. If the rental company can't come up with something, a bungee cord or two should work.

Thanks everyone. Talking it out with people who understand the demands of Disney really helps. I think I’m going to try to meet stubborn with stubborn and insist he rents an ecv just in case. I’m sure it won’t take long once we are there for him to realize the value in it. It will make for a much easier trip and we will probably stay at an Epcot area resort so he can drive it into the boats. And hopefully whatever new version of EMM they come up with for Star Wars will be at least slightly less than insane so we can do that and avoid him having to stand in line for quite as long.

Thanks everyone. Talking it out with people who understand the demands of Disney really helps. I think I’m going to try to meet stubborn with stubborn and insist he rents an ecv just in case. I’m sure it won’t take long once we are there for him to realize the value in it. It will make for a much easier trip and we will probably stay at an Epcot area resort so he can drive it into the boats. And hopefully whatever new version of EMM they come up with for Star Wars will be at least slightly less than insane so we can do that and avoid him having to stand in line for quite as long.

Sorry I'm late... LOL RL has kept me hopping the last couple of months... But I digress. Let's talk about your dad.

In fact, let's just make this easy - here's a letter to your Dad. Feel free to print it off, and show it to him. He sounds like he's a great guy (my dad was one of my best friends ever) and I hope you all have a great trip :)

Dear Dad -

Hi. Just call me MamaBunny. Everyone else around here does.

I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and a bunch of other stuff going on medically. It's a long, boring list - you don't want to know, trust me!

I was just at WDW in January of this year. I have to use a scooter now (Disney World calls them "ECVs"). I brought my own with me, in fact! Here's why:

Think of it like this - the ECV is a TOOL, and nothing more. There are plenty of folks (not just at WDW, but everywhere) who use them. I'll bet that you have seen someone at your local Wal-Mart or Target or grocery store using one of those to go shopping.

I have a walking stick/cane that I use to maintain balance when I walk or stand. That's a tool - nothing more. The eyeglasses that I use? A tool - to help me see better. Hearing aids? Yep, a tool - helps with the hearing, right? I'll bet you have used a calculator at least once in your life... that is a TOOL to help with math. (I stink at math, so I always have a calculator handy). These are all tools that people use every day. So you can see - an ECV is also a tool.

It's not about throwing in the towel. It's about using the tools that are available - and appropriate - to make the most of your time at Disney World, with your beautiful family.

I use my personal ECV as a tool - to get out in the world, and do things, and go places, and be myself again.

So, get on that ECV and ride. Smile at everyone, and make eye contact. Wave like a handsome Prince at all the pretty girls! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks; the chances that you will see ANYONE from Disney World outside of your trip ever again? You have better odds betting on the lottery. You stand a better chance of getting struck by lightning! You will NEVER see those people at Disney World again, in all likelihood. So don't worry about them. They are all too busy worrying about themselves, and taking "selfies" anyway.

Have fun, and let us know how your trip went!

Wishing you all the Magic you can find for your next trip :)

XO MamaBunny :)

(PS: come back here if you want tips for a first time driver at WDW - we'll get you ready!)

An ECV could be a viable option, especially if you rent it with the walker holder from Gold Mobility and bring a walker along with. Then when he needs to walk, he could walk with the walker and someone else could drive the ECV, then switch when he needs to sit again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter