Help! Room not assigned….

gratefulmouse12

Earning My Ears
We are driving down- won’t arrive until 11 PM. Room not showing in app. Chatted and was told “there is a problem wit the card on file you will have to go to front desk”??
The trip is paid for- the debit card on file is an account that has PLENTY of cash. The chat said there is literally no way to call the front desk or anyone and that she doesn’t have a supervisor she can transfer me to. So I have to start my trip standing in line at front desk with my family at 11:00 when I’ve done EVERYTHING in advance to make this easy. And spend the rest of the drive stressing. Do they not allow debit cards?! We do not have a credit card (personal choice) Anyone have advice? Not a very magical way to start :(

Obviously make sure you don't have any typos on card info.

You can call the card issuer, phone # on the back of the card, and ask if there any issues. Did Disney place any kind of hold. Was anything declined.

Is it possible Disney requires photo ID or a physical signature with debit cards?

In the worst case scenario, the check-in desk should be pretty empty at 11pm, and the cast members are usually extra nice since they know you likely have been traveling long hours to arrive! Give yourself some grace in "doing everything in advance to make it easy", you'll still have a magical start to your vacation!

Within the app there is a section for your resort. It has a number that still goes to a call center, but does resort front desk work. Try there. We had an issue with zip code on card not matching. Easily resolved (at 10pm) and we were off to the room.

In the worst case scenario, the check-in desk should be pretty empty at 11pm, and the cast members are usually extra nice since they know you likely have been traveling long hours to arrive! Give yourself some grace in "doing everything in advance to make it easy", you'll still have a magical start to your vacation!
Thanks. It’s just frustrating to start the trip worrying the whole drive down with a vague “there’s an issue with your card”. I am very paranoid now debit cards cannot be linked to everything and can’t find much Info on using a debit card instead of credit.

Within the app there is a section for your resort. It has a number that still goes to a call center, but does resort front desk work. Try there. We had an issue with zip code on card not matching. Easily resolved (at 10pm) and we were off to the room.
I called that and got a very rude person who informed me there was literally no way to speak to anyone at the resort. Thanks though.

That is possible. It’s just frustrating they would not tell me anything at all besides “there’s a problem with your card” not a great way to start.
Obviously make sure you don't have any typos on card info.

You can call the card issuer, phone # on the back of the card, and ask if there any issues. Did Disney place any kind of hold. Was anything declined.

Is it possible Disney requires photo ID or a physical signature with debit car

It's too late now, but for everyone else, never use debit cards for travel. It is very dangerous. For one thing your bank can put a security hold on it as many hotels etc will run a test charge which sends up a security flag.

Also once at Disney a $1000 charge, got fat fingered into $10,000. That would put many debit cards into shock. If you don't like credit cards, get one and pay it off in full then put in a safe place until next trip.

It's too late now, but for everyone else, never use debit cards for travel. It is very dangerous. For one thing your bank can put a security hold on it as many hotels etc will run a test charge which sends up a security flag.

Also once at Disney a $1000 charge, got fat fingered into $10,000. That would put many debit cards into shock.

We use our debit/credit card for most vacations to secure the room. It's a Mastercard/debit tied to our bank. They are better than our American Express at helping us with any fraudulent charges and it's actually our credit cards that seem to get denied for potential fraud over our debit/credit, we get a text to say it was really us, have to redo the charge.
We mostly pay for things with G-Pay while at whatever destination we are visiting though.

We use our debit card for most vacations to secure the room. It's a Mastercard/debit tied to our bank. They are better than our American Express at helping us with any fraudulent charges and it's actually our credit cards that seem to get denied for potential fraud over our debit/credit, we get a text to say it was really us, have to redo the charge.
We mostly pay for things with G-Pay while at whatever destination we are visiting though.
I can understand the bank be willing to assist, which is why our credit card is the one the bank issues. When we had the $10,000 mistake charge it took several days to reverse and I would have hated for that to have been out of my checking account.

I got a similar message last June but it was an issue with our credit card. I couldn't imagine what the issue could be as we had been using that card (a Disney Visa) for things the whole drive down (two days of driving) with no issues. We had used that card to pay for the deposit, final payment, Memory Maker, etc. on our Disney reservation. I knew the card worked (and I logged into our account to make sure I didn't see any obvious issues). And I knew we were nowhere near our credit limit...not even close. So I went to the front desk on arrival and the CM couldn't find any missing or wrong information and didn't know why we were getting that message, but she couldn't get the "error" to clear. So she wiped out the credit card info and re-entered the exact same information and all was well in the World again. I hope you have a quick and easy fix when you get there.

Thanks. It’s just frustrating to start the trip worrying the whole drive down with a vague “there’s an issue with your card”. I am very paranoid now debit cards cannot be linked to everything and can’t find much Info on using a debit card instead of credit.
Totally get the paranoia, and you should be able to use a debit card to link everything, I had mine linked during my last trip and didn't have an issue with it. That also being said after reading:
t's too late now, but for everyone else, never use debit cards for travel. It is very dangerous. For one thing your bank can put a security hold on it as many hotels etc will run a test charge which sends up a security flag.
My suggestion is to use your debit card to buy Disney gift cards (that is if you don't like using cc's), they can be used as a "debit card" and can be used to pay for things like your hotel, merchandise and food!

I can understand the bank be willing to assist, which is why our credit card is the one the bank issues. When we had the $10,000 mistake charge it took several days to reverse and I would have hated for that to have been out of my checking account.

If we charge back to the room, I want to pay "cash", not use a credit card. So that is the card we use for charging privileges. But mostly we just use G-Pay.

We use our debit/credit card for most vacations to secure the room. It's a Mastercard/debit tied to our bank. They are better than our American Express at helping us with any fraudulent charges and it's actually our credit cards that seem to get denied for potential fraud over our debit/credit, we get a text to say it was really us, have to redo the charge.
Thanks for sharing. There are many reasons we do not have a credit card and understand the extra hassle of debit….just nice to know ahead of time. The room is done and paid for. Will likely just use Apple Pay for everything in park instead of charging to room. I just hope I can figure out how to link Magic Bands to Apple Pay so my son can charge.

Totally get the paranoia, and you should be able to use a debit card to link everything, I had mine linked during my last trip and didn't have an issue with it. That also being said after reading:

My suggestion is to use your debit card to buy Disney gift cards (that is if you don't like using cc's), they can be used as a "debit card" and can be used to pay for things like your hotel, merchandise and food!
So buy a huge Disney gift card and link it in the app for charging in parks? Do they sell them at Disney resorts? Thanks for this idea.

So you CAN link debit card for charging? And bypass the hold? The room and tickets are paid for.

They will still put a $100 hold if you reach a certain amount I think. But for incidentals like some wine at the hotel bar, or snacks from the gift shops, etc., we use our magic bands. Otherwise we use G-Pay. :)

FWIW these issues can happen even with credit cards. I always link my Chase Sapphire for hotel expenses because it's my travel card, and there was a similar issue at the Yacht Club that required me to come to the front desk despite the fact that it was a continuing reservation and I had no issues with that same card at the GF or earlier in the week when I checked into YC. They swiped it again at the desk and it was fine. I think their systems are just glitchy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter