Help! Room not assigned….

So buy a huge Disney gift card and link it in the app for charging in parks? Do they sell them at Disney resorts? Thanks for this idea.
You can buy a virtual card online here, helpful if you want to limit how much your son is spending (you can download it to your apple wallet), and you can link it to MDE for in park purchases as shown here. You should be able to purchase the gift cards pretty much anywhere! The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is link it to a Magic Band. Hopefully this helps!

We put ours on our CC so we get points and pay the entire balance off. You still have to link your G-pay to something though.

Yes, my G-Pay is linked to my credit/debit. But it's not attached to Disney or room charges. It's a direct transaction with the merchant.

Whatever works for anyone is what's good for them.

Last edited:
While this won't help with whatever the CC issue is etc I know part of the post said you have to wait in line with your family I might consider pulling up and letting you out and having them wait in the car while you go to the front desk etc especially if kids are asleep. I just assume there's more then one adult since you are posting while driving.

Another option to look for most (all?) Disney lobbies have a kiddo waiting area with cartoons and couches and stuff so if they do come in look out for one of those and send them in that direction.

Good Luck!

It's too late now, but for everyone else, never use debit cards for travel. It is very dangerous. For one thing your bank can put a security hold on it as many hotels etc will run a test charge which sends up a security flag.

Also once at Disney a $1000 charge, got fat fingered into $10,000. That would put many debit cards into shock. If you don't like credit cards, get one and pay it off in full then put in a safe place until next trip.
The only times my Debit Card has been hacked and fraud committed is in Orlando after my visits. I no longer use my debit card at Disney, having to cancel, deal with the charges and get a new card is not worth it. Last time it took a year to get charges reversed. And I no longer charge to the room at Disney either. It is easy enough to just use my credit card or cash. I then just get on my CC app each night and pay it off immediately.

The only times my Debit Card has been hacked and fraud committed is in Orlando after my visits. I no longer use my debit card at Disney, having to cancel, deal with the charges and get a new card is not worth it. Last time it took a year to get charges reversed. And I no longer charge to the room at Disney either. It is easy enough to just use my credit card or cash. I then just get on my CC app each night and pay it off immediately.
Yeah the Credit card charge mistake of $10,000 was pretty upsetting. As it took days to give us credit and it show up. I would not have been happy for that to have come out of my checking account.

Debit cards are a bad idea for travel. Hotels and car rental agencies don't like them because if something happens, they can not "push" through a charge if you end up taking that money out of your account, unlike a credit card. They have just been burned too many times. Plus if your card is lost or stolen then the thief has access to your bank account. It is just all around a bad idea. Everyone who plans to travel anywhere should have a credit card. It is very easy to just use your credit card and then pay it off at the end of the month. It is all the same money anyway.

@gratefulmouse12 I hope you have an amazing trip that's free of problems!

I guess I've been lucky using my bank card for the Disney card on file or at any hotels really. Never an issue.
I only have the money I plan to spend in the checking account. Rest of my cash is in my savings. I never keep a large balance in checking.

And G-Pay is one of the more secure options out there.

But credit cards work too!

Last edited:

That happened to my son about 10 years ago. He never had an issue using his debit card for travel anywhere else but his first trip to Disney that he was paying for, his card got hacked and he had a huge financial mess that took months to resolve and recover from. That was the end of using a debit card for him and his wife. They have always been very disciplined with their spending and knew they'd be fine using a credit card rather than a debit card but for some reason thought it was smarter to use the debit card. Needless to say, they have changed their minds about that. Thankfully they had 2 credit cards to use for emergencies and that's what got him through that Disney trip. Ten years later and they are still so scarred from that situation that they won't tie *ANYTHING* to their checking account. They only use cash or credit cards now -- paying off the credit card weekly or immediately after any large purchase. Credit cards can get hacked as well but it's far less painful and much easier and faster to fix.

@gratefulmouse12 - I hope it was a quick and easy fix once you got to the front desk last night. Enjoy your Disney vacation!!

FWIW these issues can happen even with credit cards. I always link my Chase Sapphire for hotel expenses because it's my travel card, and there was a similar issue at the Yacht Club that required me to come to the front desk despite the fact that it was a continuing reservation and I had no issues with that same card at the GF or earlier in the week when I checked into YC. They swiped it again at the desk and it was fine. I think their systems are just glitchy.
Disney’s processing systems are so glitchy. Had this happen in Nov with fam at RIV and CSR. At RIV the front desk even swiped the cc and then said it wouldn’t go through, we had to use another cc. We each have a variety of cards for different purposes so selecting another wasn’t an issue but by the time we got to CSR it was blatant this is a Disney processing error. I switched to an Amex on file at that point with Disney and didn’t see the error on my spring trip. No idea if that made a difference.

In all instances we immediately called the card issuers who said they didn’t even see an attempted charge. Disney IT 🙄

We are driving down- won’t arrive until 11 PM. Room not showing in app. Chatted and was told “there is a problem wit the card on file you will have to go to front desk”??
The trip is paid for- the debit card on file is an account that has PLENTY of cash. The chat said there is literally no way to call the front desk or anyone and that she doesn’t have a supervisor she can transfer me to. So I have to start my trip standing in line at front desk with my family at 11:00 when I’ve done EVERYTHING in advance to make this easy. And spend the rest of the drive stressing. Do they not allow debit cards?! We do not have a credit card (personal choice) Anyone have advice? Not a very magical way to start :(
We had this issue when we drove down in December. MDE never showed a room number and we never got a room alert. I called some number that was shown in MDE (it was different from the regular number). The person even told me my room number but said we'd have to stop by the front desk. Fast forward to when we finally arrived at 4:30 a.m. we had to stop by the front desk. We were told we didn't have a card on file, which was funny since we already had the $100 pending charge on it. She looked in a "different" part of the system and saw it was there so pushed through the room to us. Not really what we wanted to do at 4:30 a.m. Point of my story is that their system is glitchy.

I just hope I can figure out how to link Magic Bands to Apple Pay so my son can char
So you CAN link debit card for charging? And bypass the hold? The room and tickets are paid for.
OP - you may have already found this out, but in case anyone reads in the future...

1) You cannot link MagicBands to Apple Pay. You can only link debit or credit cards to your room charging account. You can use ApplePay or GPay but the user will need to have a phone/watch/device capable of doing that. Not the MB.

2) You can link a debit card for charging but you cannot bypass the hold. WDW will initially place a $100 hold; once you spend that much another hold will be place to bring the hold up to your balance owed. Repeat.

I hope you had an easy and quick check-in once you arrived and are enjoying your vacation today!

with how easy it is to transfer money electronically i'm don't see why you wouldn't use a CC to get the rewards. could instantly pay the charge if you wanted. those 3% cash back and 5% cashback offers add up
There is a large amount of the population who has gone through debt hell because they couldn’t control their spending on cc’s. Those rewards you get are literally because people can’t control their spending/had crappy life circumstances hit and are now paying 20%+ APRs. A few people are able to recover and then go back to using cc’s and never have another problem- but many others aren’t. I love the cc sign up game, play it to the max lol. BUT I absolutely respect anyone who says they don’t do cc’s. I don’t know their past, I don’t know their partner’s past & I don’t know their current situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter