Help Me Understand re Add-On Points

jrtoastyman

Purveyor of Fine Latex Products
We've contemplated adding more points at some point down the road -- not a ton, just a little more to give us a little more flexibility. From time to time, I'll see small contracts (25-50 points) for sale on the resale market for a song at places like OKW and SSR.

If I were to buy them, it would be solely to bolster my point total, and not because I wanted to stay at either of those places in particular. I get that I can't use OKW points to book at BLT or something at the 11 months window, but is there a way, using banking and borrowing, that people have been able to make efficient use of those small contracts as add-ons to your existing point totals?

For what it's worth, we're basically one trip a year Disney travelers.

TIA!

:)If you purchased 50 points at SSR then you could bank and borrow for a total of 150 points when combined with your current UY. So every three years you could do a stay with those points. You could also use them to book a couple of days before or after a BLT stay.

Many people will get a small contract at BWV for a quick trip during F&W--since it is an EPCOT resort and you can just walk over. That resort books up fast during F&W and unless you own there you are usually out of luck. Other reasons to own at specific places would be WL at Christmas and AKV for concierge and value rooms which are both few and far between. I was able to score 2 value studios this year at Jambo, but I own there so I called at exactly 0900 for then 11 months out. this allowed us enough points for our May trip.

Points at other resorts can be used at 11 months there or at 7 months anywhere.

:earsboy: Bill

Points at other resorts can be used at 11 months there or at 7 months anywhere.

I understand that, but if I never intend to stay at SSR or OKW, would relying upon those points essentially change by booking window to 7 months across the board, or is there a work-around?

Put another way, assume for the purpose of discussion that the only place I ever want to stay is BLT (not true, but go with it), which is where I currently have my contract. Is there a way, by banking and borrowing, that I can use points from another resort to allow me to increase my BLT point-power at the 11 month mark?

I understand that, but if I never intend to stay at SSR or OKW, would relying upon those points essentially change by booking window to 7 months across the board, or is there a work-around?

Put another way, assume for the purpose of discussion that the only place I ever want to stay is BLT (not true, but go with it), which is where I currently have my contract. Is there a way, by banking and borrowing, that I can use points from another resort to allow me to increase my BLT point-power at the 11 month mark?

No. You could only use your added-on points at BLT at the 7-month mark if they were from SSR or OKW.

If someone bought a small 25-50 point BLT contract, could it be combined with a their current BLT contract at 11 months? Points transfered to the other one of the same home resort? (I am also keeping my eye out on 25-50 point contracts but I am having a problem because I want mine to be BLT or AKV aug use year and have not found one good thing I am in no rush I guess)

No. You could only use your added-on points at BLT at the 7-month mark if they were from SSR or OKW.

If you want to add on 25-50 points to increase your flexibility, you will need to add on BLT points. unfortunately right now, these seem to sell really fast and don't come around as often, and when they sell, you are looking at $100 per point. 50 is the lowest I think I saw when we were looking to purchase our contract. If you are adding on with SSR points, you are basically looking at 7month points if you never want to stay at SSR.

If you only book Standard view, or go at peak travel times, it seems that BLT points is your only option. If you get LV and go at times that usually have availability at 7 months, it could work for you but judging by your posts this doesn't seem to be the case.

Disney puts restrictions on the way points are used to make you buy points at more than one resort.

The only way that you can use points at BLT at 11 months is to own points there. You choice is to buy more BLT points or bank and borrow your BLT points to increase those points for a special vacation.

No. When booking in the home resort window, only home resort points are valid (only BLT points can be used to book BLT, only SSR points can be used to book SSR, etc.) To book BLT 11 months out you can use current UY BLT points, banked BLT points, borrowed BLT points and transferred BLT points.

If you add on at SSR, then at 11 months out you could use your BLT points (current, banked, borrowed and/or transferred) to book as many nights as possible at BLT. At 7 months out, you could use your SSR points (and those could be current UY, banked, borrowed or transferred) to add additional nights at BLT, subject to availability.

If you wanted to book a resort other than BLT or SSR, you could do so at 7 months out using any of your BLT and/or SSR points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter