Help from Floridians - Son going to OKW and will be exploring employment

WOW

DIS Veteran
Our son is fed up with the Northeast and is considering moving to Florida. We are DVC members and he will be staying at OKW for a week in December. He will be looking in Orlando and Tampa as of now, but any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. He is 25 and has a bachelor of science degree in business with a concentration in finance and has been employed as an insurance auditor for the past 2 1/2 years. He is ready to move on and move out of NJ. (If he moves, maybe DH and I will move there, which we have wanted to do for years!!!)

Thanks!!!!!!

I can't say what kind of job he could get down there right now, alot of people are still out of work due to the hurricanes this summer. I will say however that both Orlando and the Tampa/St Pete areas are great to live in! I have lived in both as well as South Florida. I live in Ohio now and hate it....I can't wait to go back south! You either LOVE being warm year round or you HATE it, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground on that. Good luck to him and you!

I would tell him to start checking Monster.com for employment listings in Florida, line up as many interviews as he can before he gets down there both with actual employers AND agencies.

Good luck to him.

I went to college in Tallahassee and then got a job in Jacksonville where I met my DH (a Jacksonville native.) We lived in Jacksonville many years, then D.C. area for a couple of years and now here for 4plus years. We miss the south REAL BAD!!! I think mid 80's is the perfect temperature! My husband has family in the Orlando area (Winter Park) and one sister further south in Jupiter. I just wanted to tell you that if he interested in spreading out his search a little that Jacksonville is a BIG insurance town. Most people don't consider moving there, it is a little more "southern" than the rest of Florida. We liked it because it is not as touristy, a little cheaper, and a little cooler than the rest of Florida. Anyway, good luck to him, and you, in whatever you all decide. Every time we go to WDW we spend one day with the in-laws, and they ask us a million times "When are you moving back to Florida?" DH checks the job listings often, but for we he does he has a lot more oportunities up here. Oh well....there is always retirement (in about 23 years :)) Lacee

If he is looking to stay in Insurance, CNA has some P&C and WC offices in Maitland (about 30 minutes up I-4 from WDW) and The Hartford has a disability insurance office in the same area. I'd recommend checking their websites for possible openings to see if there is anything interesting to him. Good luck!

facebook twitter