Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2020 Excursion recommendations...

slmoy1016

Earning My Ears
Hi All! New to the forums! Happy New Year!

This will be my second Disney Cruise, while it'll be a first for my husband. This will be our honeymoon cruise.
Currently we have a rough idea of excursions for our trip.
Kauai: Wailua River Cruise / Fern Grotto Tour
Maui: Atlantis Submarine Adventure
Hilo: Best of Hilo vs Hilo Spectacular.

Are there any other recommendations that come highly recommended? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
We did this one in 2015, loved it!
Kauai: Wailua River Cruise / Fern Grotto Tour

There are so many great excursions on this trip, from past trips, was anyone able to do 2 on the same day?

Are you definitely set on the Atlantis on Maui? I have to say, we did that with grandkids a few years ago and while they enjoyed it, it was kind of "hokey". We all (kids too) MUCH more enjoyed being at the beach and in the water, rather than viewing it from an underwater vehicle. If there is any kind of snorkel catamaran activity offered, that would be my recommendation. The Maui beaches are just gorgeous!

On Kauai, the Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyon are the top things to see there so if you have the opportunity, I would choose one or both of those.

Hilo - does the tour take you to Volcanoes National Park? It's spectacular and with a limited time on the Big Island, that would get my vote.

Last edited:

Are you definitely set on the Atlantis on Maui? I have to say, we did that with grandkids a few years ago and while they enjoyed it, it was kind of "hokey". We all (kids too) MUCH more enjoyed being at the beach and in the water, rather than viewing it from an underwater vehicle. If there is any kind of snorkel catamaran activity offered, that would be my recommendation. The Maui beaches are just gorgeous!

On Kauai, the Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyon are the top things to see there so if you have the opportunity, I would choose one or both of those.

Hilo - does the tour take youth Volcanoes National Park? It's spectacular and with a limited time on the Big Island, that would get my vote.

Thanks you for the recommendations! I feel like Disney keeps changing the options, and it's so hard to decide. It's sounds like I have to book another Disney cruise for future returns. :)

There's so much to see and do in Hawaii. In Kauai our favorites were a flight-seeing helicopter tour that flew over several movie sites. We also loved "tube the ditch" -- floating down a sugar cane plantation canal on an inner tube, through lava caves.

In Maui we rented a car and drove the Road to Hana.

we were just on a non-Disney vacation in Maui and staying near Lahaina where the Atlantis submarine leaves. My kids wanted to do it but we asked around and heard not great things.

What about snorkeling from a beach? We really enjoyed the Maui plantation if you want something other than beach but it’s probably not enough for a full dayZ. Road to Hana is another good choice. Maui is gorgeous, hope you enjoy it.

we were just on a non-Disney vacation in Maui and staying near Lahaina where the Atlantis submarine leaves. My kids wanted to do it but we asked around and heard not great things.

What about snorkeling from a beach? We really enjoyed the Maui plantation if you want something other than beach but it’s probably not enough for a full dayZ. Road to Hana is another good choice. Maui is gorgeous, hope you enjoy it.
I heard the Road to Hana is great, but I'm worried that my husband may get some motion sickness. We're definitely changing out the Atlantis submarine. 8-)

I heard the Road to Hana is great, but I'm worried that my husband may get some motion sickness. We're definitely changing out the Atlantis submarine. 8-)

If in any doubt, save the Road to Hana for a future Maui trip. Have you considered renting a car and creating your own day on Maui? You'd get lots of advice here on what to do lol! It's a very easy island to navigate and you could accomplish quite a bit on your own. What hours are you in port?

If in any doubt, save the Road to Hana for a future Maui trip. Have you considered renting a car and creating your own day on Maui? You'd get lots of advice here on what to do lol! It's a very easy island to navigate and you could accomplish quite a bit on your own. What hours are you in port?
By the itinerary, looks like 14.5 hours!

To be honest, we haven’t cruised Hawaii, but we have been to Aulani three times, Kauai twice (including this past Christmas), and Maui once. You’re just going to get a taste of the islands and want to come back for more!

In Kauai, I agree with the Napali coast boat tour (we used Captain Andy’s) and Waimea Canyon. We did a kayak/hike on the Wailua River through Kayak Kauai and loved it, but it is pretty intense. Lots of amazing food trucks on Kauai!

Also agree that renting a car on Maui might be a good option, but do be aware that on both Maui and Kauai, for much of the island there are only two-lane roads, so if there’s an accident, traffic can back up for a long time. If you’re there late enough, we loved the Old Lahaina Luau. Lots of great restaurants on Maui.

Does anyone have tour companies that they used that were non DCL. Getting discouraged since lots of the excursions are sold out on DCL portal, and I don't want to miss out on certain things because of it. I can't book anything yet since silver status. My family is not that adventurous so we will not be renting a car, going on helicopter tours, or any kayaking/snorkeling

I have booked a tour on Hilo through Tour By locals. Have you looked on trip advisor for reviews of non disney options that might interested your family?

Has anyone done spectacular Haleakala? Is there any hiking involved or is it just having the bus drive up and then getting off at the top?

How is hiking at diamond head especially for someone that doesn't really hike?

Did anyone do the Lahaina luau with DCL? How was the luau and would you do it again? Were there other groups besides DCL there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!