Hawaii COVID Testing

I have a question regarding the exemptions, too. We are taking the Walgreens COVID test within 72 hours of our flight. I'm looking at the website and the section below in particular. It lists 2 different exemptions: CommonPass and Quarantine Exemption Approval ID. Do I select one of those and if so, which one?

EXEMPTIONS
Enter any existing Exemption IDs here. If you have a negative COVID test result, upload a copy within 72 hours of your departure to Hawaii using the Documents section from the Homepage

Can I ask if anyone has had any experience with getting tested at either Walgreens and/or CVS? Is one better in general than the other one?

Cost difference, if any, isn’t a concern. Reliability and getting the results back fast are.

We had to use Kaiser last week due to exposer at work. We took the test at 3:00 on Friday and got the results around midnight Friday night.

We are going to use Kaiser again in a few weeks for our test but also make an appointment for Walgreens ID Now the next day in case we don't get our Kaiser results.
My parents are Kaiser members, and will be getting tested through them. Do you happen to know how soon results are given? Is it via email, or put up on their Kaiser profile?

To follow up with my previous post on here. Any DFW travelers on here who’ve had reliable testing done locally lately? Where did you go?

Last edited:

My parents are Kaiser members, and will be getting tested through them. Do you happen to know how soon results are given? Is it via email, or put up on their Kaiser profile?

How long it takes will probably depend on how many people are being tested in your area. We tested at 2:30 I think and our results were emailed to us with a link to our profile a little after midnight.

Can I ask if anyone has had any experience with getting tested at either Walgreens and/or CVS? Is one better in general than the other one?

Cost difference, if any, isn’t a concern. Reliability and getting the results back fast are.

Walgreens ID NOW you get results back same day if it is an option in your state. Reports on tripadvisor that CVS doesn't guarantee the 72 hr turnaround time.

We're heading for Aulani next week and are planning to use Walgreens ID NOW. We had friends use them last week for travel to Jamaica and received results in less than 5 hours. There was no cost for their tests either (we're in NC, I'm not sure if that varies state by state). From what I can tell, the CVS tests for travel are fairly expensive and on their website they have a disclaimer that they don't guarantee turnaround time for travel. I can report back next week once we've (hopefully) successfully arrived!

someone posted this question and I have the same question. What do we do?

“ have a question regarding the exemptions, too. We are taking the Walgreens COVID test within 72 hours of our flight. I'm looking at the website and the section below in particular. It lists 2 different exemptions: CommonPass and Quarantine Exemption Approval ID. Do I select one of those and if so, which one?

EXEMPTIONS
Enter any existing Exemption IDs here. If you have a negative COVID test result, upload a copy within 72 hours of your departure to Hawaii using the Documents section from the Homepage”

someone posted this question and I have the same question. What do we do?

“ have a question regarding the exemptions, too. We are taking the Walgreens COVID test within 72 hours of our flight. I'm looking at the website and the section below in particular. It lists 2 different exemptions: CommonPass and Quarantine Exemption Approval ID. Do I select one of those and if so, which one?

EXEMPTIONS
Enter any existing Exemption IDs here. If you have a negative COVID test result, upload a copy within 72 hours of your departure to Hawaii using the Documents section from the Homepage”
Based on some googling, it looks like the Common Pass is a pilot program only currently offered on specific routes with specific airlines. You can go to commonpass.org to see specifics and determine if it might apply to you.

I believe the Quarantine Exemption Approval ID is referring to the exemption program for people who work in "critical infrastructure" jobs based on the Hawaii.gov site. You have to apply for this program and it doesn't sound like it would be applicable to any vacationer.

From what I can tell, a leisure traveler with a negative test would leave both of these blank (unless participating in the Common Pass pilot), but hopefully someone else can confirm! :)

I have a question regarding the exemptions, too. We are taking the Walgreens COVID test within 72 hours of our flight. I'm looking at the website and the section below in particular. It lists 2 different exemptions: CommonPass and Quarantine Exemption Approval ID. Do I select one of those and if so...

I’ll pile on to this. This is not for people traveling for fun. This is only for critical positions deemed as such by the State to include doctors, nurses, military on official orders etc. The State issues them a number to put in this section. Do not select this unless you have the proper documentation.

Walgreens ID NOW you get results back same day if it is an option in your state. Reports on tripadvisor that CVS doesn't guarantee the 72 hr turnaround time.

Is ID NOW an officially sanctioned test though? I thought rapid tests didn’t count? Most of our local Walgreens only offer PCR tests

yes it is. They accept the rapid tests at airports so they will accept the id now. This test however is not offered in every state. I’m in California and just took the Walgreens standard PCR test this morning. Crossing my fingers for results in time for Thursdays flight. The rapid test at lax is my backup.

Is ID NOW an officially sanctioned test though? I thought rapid tests didn’t count? Most of our local Walgreens only offer PCR tests

Yes, the Rapid ID Now test is accepted by Hawaii Safe Travels but not all states offer the test. We live in MA and will have to drive to CT for testing.

We went to the Big Island in March and had a easy and wonderful experience using Vault Health from the Hawaiian Airlines link. Highly recommend. We had results in less than 12 hours after lab received our test all from the comfort of our home.

I’m in California and just took the Walgreens standard PCR test this morning

I would love to know how this goes! We’re leaving on a Thursday and still debating whether to do Long Beach for $20, vault, or try Walgreens. 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!