HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
ladies, i just want to say we have some really special people on this thread. i got an email through disboards yesterday from someone so kind- she saw my post on here about my dog and she is a veterinarian and she offered to help me by giving me some information about treatment options for her. this is not someone i even know or have ever chatted with. i am just so in awe that someone would reach out a complete stranger in that way. i won't call her out, i will let her "out" herself if she is comfortable doing so. since she messaged me in email instead of on this thread, she may want to be anonymous. but i just wanted to let all you ladies know that there are still good people in this world! :good vibes we are all very lucky to have each other. :goodvibes

I'm sitting on a lounge chair at the beach pool, looking towards the waterfall and villas. It's 78 degrees and the sun is very warm. The sky is very blue behind the two palm trees I'm sitting under. These two palm trees have the fan type of leaves. The wind is blowing ever so lightly through the leaves.

I love the Grand!!!

Got this little package in the mail today for our August trip! So exciting!

fd7d5b516ff0c1d5f5351a9081e65286_zpscb9b1ce8.jpg

2b7e4c09dd9afafd4a4d1b7b316c8c72_zps5b7af84f.jpg

k&a&c'smom Hope that your son had a good follow up visit with the doctor..and that you are all headed home to enjoy the blessings of the holiday and family..:goodvibes We made the pecan tassies...we ate the pecan tassies..and all I can say is..YUM! And we need to make some more..LOL...

Tom I am in..call me Mrs Smee matey! lol...:sail:

ladies, i just want to say we have some really special people on this thread. i got an email through disboards yesterday from someone so kind- she saw my post on here about my dog and she is a veterinarian and she offered to help me by giving me some information about treatment options for her. this is not someone i even know or have ever chatted with. i am just so in awe that someone would reach out a complete stranger in that way. i won't call her out, i will let her "out" herself if she is comfortable doing so. since she messaged me in email instead of on this thread, she may want to be anonymous. but i just wanted to let all you ladies know that there are still good people in this world! :good vibes we are all very lucky to have each other. :goodvibes

That is wonderful...:goodvibes I agree Beth lots of nice folks...:thumbsup2

I'm sitting on a lounge chair at the beach pool, looking towards the waterfall and villas. It's 78 degrees and the sun is very warm. The sky is very blue behind the two palm trees I'm sitting under. These two palm trees have the fan type of leaves. The wind is blowing ever so lightly through the leaves.

I love the Grand!!!

Happy Anniversary!!! :lovestruc 40 years..Wow..thats quite a milestone! Cant think of a better place to celebrate.. And what fun you all are having..Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! :goodvibes

PrincessM Hope that you have arrived all safe and sound..at the "other" park..LOL..and are having fun too!

MouseMommy Gotta love Mickeymail!! :dance3: We got that package too..times two! Love how the booklet is personalized!

grannyminnie Lounge time...massages..I like the way you think!! :thumbsup2 Im ready ..lets go! :moped: SIX day till Christmas!! :crazy2: Need to get some wrapping done...

MickeyNut I know that you are a busy bee..but its time to come out and play...:hyper2: LOL..there is chatting to do..news to share...::yes::

MommyGina Just saying :wave2:

The changes in the monorail operating times really has me reviewing our plans..particularly dining...need to include some extra travel times ..I really dont like to be late for things... like ADRs...cause as you all know..its always about the food! ;)

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a terrific Thursday!

Hi Blue!:wave2: Hi to ALL my GF friends here!

Candy Orlando, I love reading your reports. It sounds like you are having a great time!

DS still has not heard from his top pick of colleges, but hopefully within a month he'll know. It would be a great Christmas present for him to find out before Christmas if he was accepted to his top choice.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all if I don't check in before Christmas Day!!!:santa:

I love the Grand!!!

You sound just like me! The feel of just being there and soaking it in:cloud9:

Ahhhhh

Candy Orlando - Happy Anniversary!!:lovestruc Your reports are wonderful and your enthusiasm is so infectious. I'm so glad you are having a magical stay.pixiedust:

bethclayton - :hug: Thanks for sharing with us, what a sweet thing to happen. There really are so many generous people here.:grouphug::disrocks:

Agreed. Except that we February guests are witnessing several things getting newer and improved: Splash, Peoplemover, Festival of the Lion King, Backlot Tour, Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus and now daytime monorail. My family is starting to wonder, "maybe it's us!":(

:hug: We have felt the same way at times. It sure does seem like a lot of closures in the next few months. Sorry for everyone with upcoming plans.:grouphug:

Arrrgggg, I'm bringing my pirate costume and commandeering the ferry that goes between the MK, GF and Poly - who is with me? We will rechristen her the "Black Pearl"

Arggggg pirate:

Hey, we just had our third snowstorm up here, and I really wanted to see my ticker for how many days until WARM!!!

Tom

LOL - count me in!pirate: Sorry for your snow, glad you have warmer climes to dream of.:beach:

I'm wondering if the rumored refurbished rooms will look similar to the villas and if they will be done by May when I'm there (as well as the dwarves mine cart ride) *wishes hard*

Fingers crossed!:goodvibes

Got this little package in the mail today for our August trip! So exciting!

Very exciting, and fun!:banana: Thanks for the photos, enjoy your planning!

k&a&c'smom Hope that your son had a good follow up visit with the doctor..and that you are all headed home to enjoy the blessings of the holiday and family..:goodvibes We made the pecan tassies...we ate the pecan tassies..and all I can say is..YUM! And we need to make some more..LOL...

MickeyNut I know that you are a busy bee..but its time to come out and play...:hyper2: LOL..there is chatting to do..news to share...::yes::

The changes in the monorail operating times really has me reviewing our plans..particularly dining...need to include some extra travel times ..I really dont like to be late for things... like ADRs...cause as you all know..its always about the food! ;)

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a terrific Thursday!

Well, Mrs. Smee, glad you enjoyed the pecan tassies! LOL about needing to bake more, I can sooo relate. They are gone before you realize just how many you've eaten.;)

The follow up went well, thanks, and I'm home. He and his college roommate always travel home together, so DS will be here tomorrow. DD and DS2 & fiance are coming on Christmas Eve.:dance3:

I agree, mickeynut needs to take a break from holiday preparations and pop in for a chat.

Good luck with your plans.:thumbsup2

Hi Blue!:wave2: Hi to ALL my GF friends here!

DS still has not heard from his top pick of colleges, but hopefully within a month he'll know. It would be a great Christmas present for him to find out before Christmas if he was accepted to his top choice.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all if I don't check in before Christmas Day!!!:santa:

:wave2: Happy Holidays to you, too, hopefully we'll "see" you again before then. Good luck to your DS, keeping my fingers crossed.

You sound just like me! The feel of just being there and soaking it in:cloud9:

Ahhhhh

Isn't that the best?!:cloud9:

That is amazing, and I very much agree DISpeeps are some of the finest peeps I have ever met :lovestruc I haven't posted much here (I'm booked at Poly with a great discount trying not to change :duck:) but I do lurk often...and other than the resort changers thread..I consider here and WL my "home" threads :grouphug:

bethclayton - :hug: Thanks for sharing with us, what a sweet thing to happen. There really are so many generous people here.:grouphug::disrocks:
Agreed! And one of the reasons this thread rocks is the GRAND hostess :hug:

Wishing my GF friends a very
Grand holiday:santa:

I love the Grand!!!

How "dare" you make such a post! Such "torture." ;)

But we know what you mean. We drove away from the GFR yesterday morning at 7:52 a.m. and left the wonderful environment that you so carefully described.

Ah, palm trees. Seventy-eight degrees. Enjoy yourself!

April 2014: we'll be back. :hourglass

All the best. :thumbsup2

Just was drooling over the pictures on Facebook of the Grand at Christmas. :worship::worship: We were only there once in December, but hoping we can come back next year. What a magical place!

Yesterday before I went to the pool to sit under the cloudless blue sky and palm trees, I went to the Garden View Tea Room with my husband, daughter and granddaughter. We are patrons of the Myopia Hunt and Polo Club in Hamilton Massachusetts. We love all things that remind us of England. We had a wonderful experience with a superb CM. The row of Palladian windows overlooking the courtyard is breathtaking and the furnishings are exquisite.

The Grand really is Grand!!!

Have just changed my May YC CL trip to the GF RPC (don't even ask how many times I've changed my booking :rotfl2:), I haven't stayed there since 2007 so I'm going to start at the beginning of this great thread to refresh myself on everything the GF offers :thumbsup2

I'm going 'solo' for 7 nights and have already booked a few spa treatments, I intend this to be a selfishly indulgent/pampering trip :cloud9:

At 6:00 pm we sat in the Grand foyer on a big comfy couch listening to the piano player and the band. At 7:00 pm a choir came to sing Christmas carols. We spent a very relaxing day at the Grand because it was our last day of our fabulous vacation.

Now I know how all of you have felt about the Grand all these years. Having a villa with my food allergies has made me very happy.

I will be back in January for a week.

The Grand is now my home!

It feels so Grand!!!

Popping in this morning to try and catch up as things have been very crazy around here the last few days that I haven't had much time to post. I did a lot of quoting and kind of went through the last few pages quickly, so I apologize if I forgot anyone.

MickeyNut I agree..enjoyed the mother/daughter time...the baking..and today the eating of the baked good..LOL...We had our GF music going..Christian Frederick..of course..and lets not forget music from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra..It was a Grand day!

Glad you enjoyed your mother/daughter time......baking is a great way to spend some quality time together :goodvibes.

Hello, fellow GF lovers!!:wave: Sorry I've been MIA, I'm up here in cold and snowy Chicago for another few days, had to pop in and see what everyone is up to.

My DH has kindly informed me he was in shirt sleeves yesterday, running a leaf blower and working up a sweat! It was in the upper 60s at home, waaaah!! Supposed to continue with 50s-60s until I head home on Friday, of course.

Hope you had a nice time in Chicago and hope you were able to keep warm.....Chicago winters can be brutal :cold:.

Not a very nice thing for your DH to do to you.....LOL.....but I hope you were able to catch some warmer temps when you returned home.

I have recovered! It's always a tiring but rewarding experience for me, to do a family dinner. One of my stepsons and his wife had to cancel at the last minute because they had car trouble, and we missed them, but everyone else had fun. Me a party animal?! I have never thought of myself as that, but "lounge lizard", I'll gladly be!! ;) Matter of fact, when my sister has had a bad day, she'll email "meet me in the lounge (or lobby)"!
Are you having fun with your DD? :) I have not done a stitch of baking yet! Not one cookie! But, my BFF supplied me with a great selection of the fruits of her labor the other day when we met at Cheesecake Factory. Yummo!

Mickeynut, did you get to do your baking?

Hi grannyminnie :wave2:. I'm glad you had a nice dinner and have recovered. LOL on your sister emailing you to meet in the lounge or lobby.....if it were only that easy :rotfl:.

I did a little baking the other day, but I'm planning to get more done today and tomorrow.

Yes, I'm still here. We checked in on Friday. We will be here until this Friday.

Hope you had a nice trip :flower3:.

thanks for asking! well, she has definitely turned a corner and is healing, so that is a huge relief. but the two downsides are 1) the mass was cancer, and they did not get all the cancerous cells, so it will come back. 2) we are looking at months of her having 24/7 supervision because that is how long she will have to be bandaged (until the skin grows back). :faint: it's a disaster! but i am so glad that she is feeling better, she seems much more normal and is even walking on that leg again finally. we have had a lot of snow lately (both my labs love snow) and she has just been romping around in it like a puppy.

Glad to hear she's feeling better. Sending good thoughts your way that she heals properly and when/if she does need another surgery that it goes smoothly and she recovers well :hug:.

MickeyNut whatcha been up to?? Baking..getting all set for the holidays?? I think at this time next year you will be getting ready for your Disney cruise...

It's been so busy the last few days, but I finally have some time to get some more baking done and get ready for Christmas. Yes, this time next year is our Disney cruise/WDW. Our cruise is 12/15-12/19, with WDW stays before and after......it's a year away, but I'm sure the time will go fast and I'll be on that boat before I know it :boat:.

I'm still in Chicago, my oldest DS had surgery last week and tomorrow is the post op visit. If he is released, I'll be heading back home to get ready for Christmas - and he will be, too.

I hope your DS's surgery went well. Sending good thoughts for a good post op visit :grouphug:.

I'm wondering if the rumored refurbished rooms will look similar to the villas and if they will be done by May when I'm there

Me too. I love the GF, but those villas look absolutely amazing ::yes::.

Morning, GF friends...6 days til Christmas; are you ready?

I have some baking to do, but other than that, I think I'm ready. Different from other years where I'm running around the 23rd and/or 24th for last minute things :faint:.

ladies, i just want to say we have some really special people on this thread. i got an email through disboards yesterday from someone so kind- she saw my post on here about my dog and she is a veterinarian and she offered to help me by giving me some information about treatment options for her. this is not someone i even know or have ever chatted with. i am just so in awe that someone would reach out a complete stranger in that way. i won't call her out, i will let her "out" herself if she is comfortable doing so. since she messaged me in email instead of on this thread, she may want to be anonymous. but i just wanted to let all you ladies know that there are still good people in this world! :good vibes we are all very lucky to have each other.

That was so nice of that Diser. I hope she was able to give you some good information for your pup. And I totally agree about special people on this thread. There are some fabulous ladies on here and I am glad I have had the opportunity to meet a few of them in person. This is one of the nicest threads (IMO) :flower3:.

MickeyNut I know that you are a busy bee..but its time to come out and play... LOL..there is chatting to do..news to share...

I'm here....trying my best to catch up....LOL. I have a lot of free time over the next 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to pop in more often :goodvibes.

Good luck to your DS.

The follow up went well, thanks, and I'm home. He and his college roommate always travel home together, so DS will be here tomorrow. DD and DS2 & fiance are coming on Christmas Eve.

I agree, mickeynut needs to take a break from holiday preparations and pop in for a chat.

Glad the follow up went well and I'm happy for you that all of your kids will be home for Christmas :santa:.

And one of the reasons this thread rocks is the GRAND hostess

:thumbsup2.

April 2014: we'll be back.

It will be here before you know it :).

Just was drooling over the pictures on Facebook of the Grand at Christmas. :worship: We were only there once in December, but hoping we can come back next year. What a magical place!

Hope you are able to make it back to the GF next year. The GF really is amazing during the holidays :santa:.

Have just changed my May YC CL trip to the GF RPC (don't even ask how many times I've changed my booking :rotfl2:), I haven't stayed there since 2007 so I'm going to start at the beginning of this great thread to refresh myself on everything the GF offers :thumbsup2

You are going to have a great time!! RPC is amazing and very relaxing :cloud9:.

At 6:00 pm we sat in the Grand foyer on a big comfy couch listening to the piano player and the band. At 7:00 pm a choir came to sing Christmas carols. We spent a very relaxing day at the Grand because it was our last day of our fabulous vacation.

Now I know how all of you have felt about the Grand all these years. Having a villa with my food allergies has made me very happy.

I will be back in January for a week.

The Grand is now my home!

It feels so Grand!!!

:goodvibes

Popping in this morning to try and catch up as things have been very crazy around here the last few days that I haven't had much time to post. I did a lot of quoting and kind of went through the last few pages quickly, so I apologize if I forgot anyone.

Glad you enjoyed your mother/daughter time......baking is a great way to spend some quality time together :goodvibes.

Hope you had a nice time in Chicago and hope you were able to keep warm.....Chicago winters can be brutal :cold:.

Not a very nice thing for your DH to do to you.....LOL.....but I hope you were able to catch some warmer temps when you returned home.

Hi grannyminnie :wave2:. I'm glad you had a nice dinner and have recovered. LOL on your sister emailing you to meet in the lounge or lobby.....if it were only that easy :rotfl:.

I did a little baking the other day, but I'm planning to get more done today and tomorrow.

Hope you had a nice trip :flower3:.

Glad to hear she's feeling better. Sending good thoughts your way that she heals properly and when/if she does need another surgery that it goes smoothly and she recovers well :hug:.

It's been so busy the last few days, but I finally have some time to get some more baking done and get ready for Christmas. Yes, this time next year is our Disney cruise/WDW. Our cruise is 12/15-12/19, with WDW stays before and after......it's a year away, but I'm sure the time will go fast and I'll be on that boat before I know it :boat:.

I hope your DS's surgery went well. Sending good thoughts for a good post op visit :grouphug:.

Me too. I love the GF, but those villas look absolutely amazing ::yes::.

I have some baking to do, but other than that, I think I'm ready. Different from other years where I'm running around the 23rd and/or 24th for last minute things :faint:.

That was so nice of that Diser. I hope she was able to give you some good information for your pup. And I totally agree about special people on this thread. There are some fabulous ladies on here and I am glad I have had the opportunity to meet a few of them in person. This is one of the nicest threads (IMO) :flower3:.

I'm here....trying my best to catch up....LOL. I have a lot of free time over the next 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to pop in more often :goodvibes.

Good luck to your DS.

Glad the follow up went well and I'm happy for you that all of your kids will be home for Christmas :santa:.

:thumbsup2.

It will be here before you know it :).

Hope you are able to make it back to the GF next year. The GF really is amazing during the holidays :santa:.

You are going to have a great time!! RPC is amazing and very relaxing :cloud9:.

Now THAT's what we call a reply! :worship:

k&a&c'smom So happy to hear that your DS's follow up visit went well! :yay: Sounds like you are going to have a nice fullhouse for Christmas...:goodvibes I know thats the best present of all..Better get baking some more pecan tassies at your house too...LOl..It is funny how quickly that they disappear! ;) Thanks again for the recipe!

CandyOrlando Glad that you had such a GRAND vacation! :goodvibes Your descriptions were just wonderful..and as you can see made us all feel like we were there with you! :crowded:

MickeyNut Well there you are! Glad things have finally settled down some..::yes:: You know that I miss chatting with you when you are not here!!

grannyminnie :wave2: Have you decided on which month you are going to be staying at the GF?? If so..what kind of ADRs have you made?? Inquiring mind here... You know what its all about! ;)

ClareH Congratualtions on booking the GF for your trip! :cloud9: And what plans..staying RPC..massages...Enjoy! Some things have changed in the last several years.. a newer and improved Gasparillas..Sandy Cove is also bigger and has more variety of merchandise..some of it geared to the VGF... all things that will see for yourself soon! ::yes::

DisneyBelle The GF really is especially grand during the holidays! Hope that you will get back next year! :thumbsup2

MommyGina Waiting for those college acceptance letters is so stressful! :crazy2: Hope that your son hears from his top pick soon...:wizard: Sending good thoughts..Please keep us posted!

BC1836 I noticed in your signature that you have had quite a few splits stays including the GF...which would you say is your favorite split?? We have been toying with the idea of a YC/GF or BC..enjoying at stay at each side of the world..Or even a WL/GF stay...just becuase we have heard so many good things about the WL....Would like to know what you think..seems that you are a split stay vet!

Pas130 Happy Holidays to you too! :goodvibes

And a big hello to the rest of my fellow GF fans! :earsgirl: Hope that you are all having a super Saturday!!

How "dare" you make such a post! Such "torture." ;)

But we know what you mean. We drove away from the GFR yesterday morning at 7:52 a.m. and left the wonderful environment that you so carefully described.

Ah, palm trees. Seventy-eight degrees. Enjoy yourself!

April 2014: we'll be back. :hourglass

:thumbsup2 I am also enjoying Candy Orlando's live report! How lovely you were just there!! We are having a Jersy heat wave..and DH joked that it feels like Florida. The first week of December was in the 80s..and we came home to snow and 20 degree weather :sad:

I'm going 'solo' for 7 nights and have already booked a few spa treatments, I intend this to be a selfishly indulgent/pampering trip :cloud9:
I know you will have an amazing time!! We've yet to actually stay at RPC, but I drool over the pics here :goodvibes

:wave: Multi-quote-a-palooza:worship:

I was actually on the telephone with someone from Poly yesterday discussing the construction (Poly IPO rocks) and I was reminded Poly guests will have the use of the GF pools :beach: So even though I am staying a monorail stop away...we can use the pools so I can sneak in the Grand ambience :banana: Best of both worlds IMO, my DS12 prefers the GF pool;)

Pas130 Happy Holidays to you too! :goodvibes

And a big hello to the rest of my fellow GF fans! :earsgirl: Hope that you are all having a super Saturday!!
:goodvibes Is it summer yet :rotfl2:

Thank you everyone! It was fun reading your responses to my lovely vacation. We ended with the Christmas fireworks at Epcot. The view from Italy is perfect.

I'm sitting here in my Massachusetts home with my eyes closed picturing the beautiful row of palm trees outside the front door of my Florida home at the Grand. Then my mind wonders into the foyer and there stands that whimsical water fountain and stunning cream colored marble floor.

Now I have to look on my iPhone at the photos I took!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter