HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, fellow GF lovers!!:wave: Sorry I've been MIA, I'm up here in cold and snowy Chicago for another few days, had to pop in and see what everyone is up to.:teeth:

My DH has kindly informed me he was in shirt sleeves yesterday, running a leaf blower and working up a sweat!:faint: It was in the upper 60s at home, waaaah!! Supposed to continue with 50s-60s until I head home on Friday, of course.:headache:

I haven't read back to my last post, but it sounds like everyone is in baking mode.:thumbsup2 beth, your post made me feel warm and fuzzy, thinking of everyone all doing the same things at once.:grouphug: I'm so glad you are finished with such a stressful and despised job. Good for you, I'm so happy for you!!:hug:

PrincessM :laughing: :rolleyes1 :p :flower3:

:listen: So has anyone heard anything on the upcoming refurbishemnts??? Any new news or rumors??? popcorn::

MickeyNut I agree..enjoyed the mother/daughter time...the baking..and today the eating of the baked good..LOL...:rolleyes1 We had our GF music going..Christian Frederick..of course..and lets not forget music from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra..It was a Grand day! :goodvibes

CandyOrlando Hope that you are having lots of fun..looking forward to hearing all about your VGF stay...:thumbsup2

grannyminnie Are you recuperating from yesterdays family get together ..You have been a party animal lately!!! :dance3: I think that you are going to need lots of lounge lizard (that just cracks me up...:laughing: ) time on your next GF trip to rest up!!

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a magical Monday!:earsgirl:

Hey, Blue! :wave2: Yes, thanks for asking...I have recovered! It's always a tiring but rewarding experience for me, to do a family dinner. :crazy2: One of my stepsons and his wife had to cancel at the last minute because they had car trouble, and we missed them, but everyone else had fun. Me a party animal?! :rotfl: I have never thought of myself as that, but "lounge lizard", I'll gladly be!! ;) Matter of fact, when my sister has had a bad day, she'll email "meet me in the lounge (or lobby)"! :goodvibes
Are you having fun with your DD? :) I have not done a stitch of baking yet! Not one cookie! But, my BFF supplied me with a great selection of the fruits of her labor the other day when we met at Cheesecake Factory. Yummo! :lovestruc

Mickeynut, did you get to do your baking?

Is everyone else in the Christmas spirit? :santa: Mousemommy1, that sleigh ride sounds so Christmas-y, but NOT if it was 9 degrees!! Yikes! :faint:

Hi, Candy Orlando, are you still in Florida?

Yes, I'm still here. We checked in on Friday. We will be here until this Friday.

Sunday night we went to the premier of Saving Mr. Banks at Hollywood Studios. They served popcorn and soda and we had our photo taken with Mary Poppins and a Penguin after the movie. It was a lot of fun to be in the studios after it closed.

Monday afternoon we went to the Merry Mixer at Epcot. They had music with games and dancing and I won a VGF pin. They served hot chocolate and cookies and we had our photo taken with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. They gave us a beautiful Christmas ornament.

We will be going to Welcome Home Wednesday tomorrow.

It's fun to be a Disney Vacation Club member.

The one bedroom villa at the VGF is beautiful. We will also be back in Jan. for a week.

Hello, fellow GF lovers!!:wave: Sorry I've been MIA, I'm up here in cold and snowy Chicago for another few days, had to pop in and see what everyone is up to.:teeth:

My DH has kindly informed me he was in shirt sleeves yesterday, running a leaf blower and working up a sweat!:faint: It was in the upper 60s at home, waaaah!! Supposed to continue with 50s-60s until I head home on Friday, of course.:headache:

I haven't read back to my last post, but it sounds like everyone is in baking mode.:thumbsup2 beth, your post made me feel warm and fuzzy, thinking of everyone all doing the same things at once.:grouphug: I'm so glad you are finished with such a stressful and despised job. Good for you, I'm so happy for you!!:hug:

BRRRR . . . I bet Chicago is cold, cold, cold . . . That wasn't very nice of DH to rub in that he was in warmer weather! I am hoping that it stays warm for you when head home! :santa:

Hey, Blue! :wave2: Yes, thanks for asking...I have recovered! It's always a tiring but rewarding experience for me, to do a family dinner. :crazy2: One of my stepsons and his wife had to cancel at the last minute because they had car trouble, and we missed them, but everyone else had fun. Me a party animal?! :rotfl: I have never thought of myself as that, but "lounge lizard", I'll gladly be!! ;) Matter of fact, when my sister has had a bad day, she'll email "meet me in the lounge (or lobby)"! :goodvibes
Are you having fun with your DD? :) I have not done a stitch of baking yet! Not one cookie! But, my BFF supplied me with a great selection of the fruits of her labor the other day when we met at Cheesecake Factory. Yummo! :lovestruc

Mickeynut, did you get to do your baking?

Is everyone else in the Christmas spirit? :santa: Mousemommy1, that sleigh ride sounds so Christmas-y, but NOT if it was 9 degrees!! Yikes! :faint:

Hi, Candy Orlando, are you still in Florida?

I will be in the Christmas Spirit as soon as we hit Florida sometime tomorrow!:santa: I am done with the snow and want to see some palm tree for Christmas this year! :banana:

Yes, I'm still here. We checked in on Friday. We will be here until this Friday.

Sunday night we went to the premier of Saving Mr. Banks at Hollywood Studios. They served popcorn and soda and we had our photo taken with Mary Poppins and a Penguin after the movie. It was a lot of fun to be in the studios after it closed.

Monday afternoon we went to the Merry Mixer at Epcot. They had music with games and dancing and I won a VGF pin. They served hot chocolate and cookies and we had our photo taken with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. They gave us a beautiful Christmas ornament.

The one bedroom villa at the VGF is beautiful. We will also be back in Jan. for a week.

That movie premiere sounds wonderful!:cool1: We are just going to miss each other by a couple days. While we get into the area tomorrow night, we are not checking into the Grand until Sunday. I have to go visit Harry Potter first! ;) Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

In less than 24 hours we will be on the road, heading to warmer pastures . . . I can't wait. I need to finish packing, which is that I need to start packing. It look like a tornado hit my living room. It is slightly organized chaos. I just need to get it into the suitcases!:cool1: We are so close to leaving, I can almost smell the gingerbread!!!!:love:

Oh goodness, it sounds as if you are having a magical time! pixiedust: Mary Poppins has always been one of my all-time favorite Disney characters, and I would have been so happy to see the premiere of Saving Mr. Banks the way you did! :goodvibes I wish it fit into my budget to be a DVC member...:cloud9:

Where was everybody yesterday?!?:confused3 Did you all just decide to travel on down to the GF and see the Christmas decorations with me??:rotfl:

Having the Grand as our vacation home has made going to the Magic Kingdom so much fun. My granddaughter wanted to go to Starbucks so my daughter and husband also had to try it. They all had a breakfast wrap and iced coffee. We love Main Street in the morning because we love the street performers.

We went back to our villa at the Grand for lunch because I have food allergies. My husband and I relaxed at the beach pool until dinner. It was so nice to have the pool right outside our villa.

We went to Epcot at night. England, France and Italy are our favorite places to visit. The fireworks are really close in Italy. The extra Christmas fireworks are superb.

Going back home to our villa at the Grand is enchanting!!!

:flower3:. How is your lab doing? I hope things are going ok :hug:.
thanks for asking! well, she has definitely turned a corner and is healing, so that is a huge relief. but the two downsides are 1) the mass was cancer, and they did not get all the cancerous cells, so it will come back. 2) we are looking at months of her having 24/7 supervision because that is how long she will have to be bandaged (until the skin grows back). :faint: it's a disaster! but i am so glad that she is feeling better, she seems much more normal and is even walking on that leg again finally. we have had a lot of snow lately (both my labs love snow) and she has just been romping around in it like a puppy. :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom DD and I will be doing some baking later on today...and your yummy recipe will be one of the things that we are making...MickeyNut's peanut butter blossoms too...
BethClayton Hope that the job change has sunk in and that you are finally celebrating! :dance3:
the job thing is slowly sinking in and i will say that i have not had a migraine in days- for the first time in months- so that tells you something! lol! how did the baking go? i am glad your dd helped! mine helped me bake one batch of iced sugar cookies a couple of weeks ago and apparently that was enough for her! bah humbug!

how is chicago? are you still there or back home now? you little jet setter! i am jealous of your home temperatures, it has been so COLD here! much colder than a normal december.

I will be in the Christmas Spirit as soon as we hit Florida sometime tomorrow!:santa: I am done with the snow and want to see some palm tree for Christmas this year! :banana:

In less than 24 hours we will be on the road, heading to warmer pastures . . . I can't wait. I need to finish packing, which is that I need to start packing. It look like a tornado hit my living room. It is slightly organized chaos. I just need to get it into the suitcases!:cool1: We are so close to leaving, I can almost smell the gingerbread!!!!:love:

ok, i am beyond envious and so excited for you! have an amazing trip and pleeeeease indulge us with a report (at least once you get home if you're too busy while you are there!).

Where was everybody yesterday?!?:confused3 Did you all just decide to travel on down to the GF and see the Christmas decorations with me??:rotfl:

i WISH! :)

candy orlandothank you so much for all your updates. i love reading them! i am happy for you, you seem to be having a really wonderful trip!

i hope everyone has a great day! i am- as per usual these days- trapped home with the dog :rolleyes1 , so i am using the time to make some gift card holders and the always-fun laundry! :laundy:

Hi, Bethclayton...I MEANT to say "without me"..my question would have made more sense! :) I was operating this morning on less sleep and not enough coffee when I first posted. :surfweb:

Loving your live reports, Candy Orlando! Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup2

I wish!! and the with you part sounds good too!! :goodvibes Lets go! :moped:

Having the Grand as our vacation home has made going to the Magic Kingdom so much fun. My granddaughter wanted to go to Starbucks so my daughter and husband also had to try it. They all had a breakfast wrap and iced coffee. We love Main Street in the morning because we love the street performers.

We went back to our villa at the Grand for lunch because I have food allergies. My husband and I relaxed at the beach pool until dinner. It was so nice to have the pool right outside our villa.

We went to Epcot at night. England, France and Italy are our favorite places to visit. The fireworks are really close in Italy. The extra Christmas fireworks are superb.

Going back home to our villa at the Grand is enchanting!!!

Candy Thanks again for the live updates...they are the next best thing to being at the GF! Everything sounds wonderful! :lovestruc

k&a&c'smom Just like a husband to let you know about the nice weather at home..while you are freezing! ;)

beth The baking went well..the eating what we baked is going even better...lol...:blush:Yay for no more migraines..and your dog being on the mend too..sorry that the he will be facing a recurrence in the future...but it sound slike he is rebounding very well.. :hug:

princessMocha Safe travels and have a GRAND vacation!!! :goodvibes

HairyChest Was looking at those nice pics that you posted again..and realized that that view is from VGF..not the GF...lovely no matter from where...but it is from the villas....

MickeyNut whatcha been up to?? Baking..getting all set for the holidays?? :santa: I think at this time next year you will be getting ready for your Disney cruise...:boat:

Saw a thread here about the monorail being down from 11:30 AM TO 7PM from 1/21 to March of 2014...:crazy2: :confused: :worried: I don't think that this will impact our vacation too much..but I am some what concerned...We prefer traveling via the water launches generally...just not sure how crowded this mode of transportation will be..? And we do tend to return to the resort mid day..for a little "lounge lizard" break...LOL...;) I guess only time will tell...

Thanks cgulls I was just mentioning about the monorail being down in my previous post ... Looks like it will be during the week but not on week ends..and all the way thru the end of March..

Hopefully this will make for an new and improved system...

Candy Orlando, it sounds like you are having a Grand vacation.:goodvibes I'm enjoying your reports!

thanks for asking! well, she has definitely turned a corner and is healing, so that is a huge relief. but the two downsides are 1) the mass was cancer, and they did not get all the cancerous cells, so it will come back. 2) we are looking at months of her having 24/7 supervision because that is how long she will have to be bandaged (until the skin grows back). :faint: it's a disaster! but i am so glad that she is feeling better, she seems much more normal and is even walking on that leg again finally. we have had a lot of snow lately (both my labs love snow) and she has just been romping around in it like a puppy. :goodvibes

the job thing is slowly sinking in and i will say that i have not had a migraine in days- for the first time in months- so that tells you something! lol! how did the baking go? i am glad your dd helped! mine helped me bake one batch of iced sugar cookies a couple of weeks ago and apparently that was enough for her! bah humbug!

how is chicago? are you still there or back home now? you little jet setter! i am jealous of your home temperatures, it has been so COLD here! much colder than a normal december.

i hope everyone has a great day! i am- as per usual these days- trapped home with the dog :rolleyes1 , so i am using the time to make some gift card holders and the always-fun laundry! :laundy:

LOL about the "always-fun laundry"! Too true.

:wave2: I'm still in Chicago, my oldest DS had surgery last week and tomorrow is the post op visit. If he is released, I'll be heading back home to get ready for Christmas - and he will be, too.:goodvibes

Thanks for the update on your poor doggie, your description of her cavorting in the snow made me smile - and a little teary-eyed. So wonderful she is enjoying life, I'll bet that is a huge relief. Here's hoping her recovery is swift and as pain free as possible.pixiedust:

What a relief about the migraines, too.:hug: I had a similar experience years ago, my job was causing headaches on a daily basis. It took a while for me to recognize it, but when I did I realized I had been having a headache every day for months!:headache:

Hi, Bethclayton...I MEANT to say "without me"..my question would have made more sense! :) I was operating this morning on less sleep and not enough coffee when I first posted. :surfweb:

:laughing: I read it the way you meant it, but either way makes sense. Let's all head down, today!:drive::crowded:

:scared:

k&a&c'smom Just like a husband to let you know about the nice weather at home..while you are freezing! ;)

LOL - so true!

beth The baking went well..the eating what we baked is going even better...lol...

:laughing: Did you make the pecan tassies?! Those things are hard to stop eating.

Someone (was it you, princessmocha?) asked if they taste like pecan pie. I think they are a bit better, as the crust is a cream cheese shortbread and they are the perfect one bite size.

HairyChest Was looking at those nice pics that you posted again..and realized that that view is from VGF..not the GF...lovely no matter from where...but it is from the villas....

Saw a thread here about the monorail being down from 11:30 AM TO 7PM from 1/21 to March of 2014...:crazy2: :confused: :worried: I don't think that this will impact our vacation too much..but I am some what concerned...We prefer traveling via the water launches generally...just not sure how crowded this mode of transportation will be..? And we do tend to return to the resort mid day..for a little "lounge lizard" break...LOL...;) I guess only time will tell...

I thought that, too - the view photo is from the villas.::yes::

I hope the monorail thing doesn't impact your stay too much, what a pain! Hopefully, they are doing some major improvements for such a long closure.:eek:

We love traveling by the launch, too, especially on a sunny day, so peaceful.:lovestruc

BRRRR . . . I bet Chicago is cold, cold, cold . . . That wasn't very nice of DH to rub in that he was in warmer weather! I am hoping that it stays warm for you when head home! :santa:

I know! So mean.;) Chicago has been frigid, but today it has warmed up quite a bit. Thanks for the warm wishes, I hope the weather at home holds 'til I get back, but I doubt it.

Aww, phooey! I've missed your send off. Well, safe travels and have a Grand time!pixiedust:

LOL about the packing, I can soooo relate, I'm a notorious last minute packer.

Thanks cgulls I was just mentioning about the monorail being down in my previous post ... Looks like it will be during the week but not on week ends..and all the way thru the end of March..

Hopefully this will make for an new and improved system...

Agreed. Except that we February guests are witnessing several things getting newer and improved: Splash, Peoplemover, Festival of the Lion King, Backlot Tour, Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus and now daytime monorail. My family is starting to wonder, "maybe it's us!":(

Agreed. Except that we February guests are witnessing several things getting newer and improved: Splash, Peoplemover, Festival of the Lion King, Backlot Tour, Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus and now daytime monorail. My family is starting to wonder, "maybe it's us!":(

Arrrgggg, I'm bringing my pirate costume and commandeering the ferry that goes between the MK, GF and Poly - who is with me? We will rechristen her the "Black Pearl"

Arggggg pirate:

Hey, we just had our third snowstorm up here, and I really wanted to see my ticker for how many days until WARM!!!

Tom

Yea I just realized they were from the villas but I seen pix from the hotel view and they are spectacular .

I'm wondering if the rumored refurbished rooms will look similar to the villas and if they will be done by May when I'm there (as well as the dwarves mine cart ride) *wishes hard*

Morning, GF friends...6 days til Christmas; are you ready? :santa:

Hi, Blue, I'll be happy if you go with me (better THAT than without me! :goodvibes Right now I could use some "lounge lizard" time! :lmao: Either that or a nice massage would do....:cloud9:

I read that info re: the monorail being down for that long period. I wouldn't like being on the monorail line and being inconvenienced like that. :mad: Thank goodness for that water launch! :thumbsup2
(and believe it or not, I have actually been considering changing my early May bounceback to a Feb. visit, so this monorail issue would affect us...)

The CM's that are here at the VGF asked us if we wanted to see a grand villa. They took us up to the 6th floor. The villa and it's view is magnificent!!! It has three bedrooms and a media room which is like having four bedrooms and four baths. The living room, dining room and kitchen are an open floor plan. They said it was 2800 sq ft.

We went to Welcome Home Wednesday at 2:00pm at the Boardwalk. The CM's asked us to play one of there games because it was our 40th Anniversary. They blindfolded my husband and another man while I and the other wife held a microphone to tell them were to go to get items to put in a bag we were holding. It was so funny I couldn't stop laughing. Everyone in the audience had a great time. They give us pins for our participation.

Last night we went to the Magic Kingdom to see the fireworks. When we left to go back to the Grand the boat was at the dock! We were so lucky because all the other lines were so long.

I love the Grand!!!

The CM's that are here at the VGF asked us if we wanted to see a grand villa. They took us up to the 6th floor. The villa and it's view is magnificent!!! It has three bedrooms and a media room which is like having four bedrooms and four baths. The living room, dining room and kitchen are an open floor plan. They said it was 2800 sq ft.

We went to Welcome Home Wednesday at 2:00pm at the Boardwalk. The CM's asked us to play one of there games because it was our 40th Anniversary. They blindfolded my husband and another man while I and the other wife held a microphone to tell them were to go to get items to put in a bag we were holding. It was so funny I couldn't stop laughing. Everyone in the audience had a great time. They give us pins for our participation.

Last night we went to the Magic Kingdom to see the fireworks. When we left to go back to the Grand the boat was at the dock! We were so lucky because all the other lines were so long.

I love the Grand!!!

Me too!!:banana: I may not ever stay at the VGF but staying at the Grand is wonderful! :cloud9:
Your report almost makes me feel as if I am there....:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!