• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have we reached the saturation point?

Three hours in and nothing has sold out. I think saturation has been reached. I think the earlier registration combined with the cost has a lot of people hesitant.

Perhaps it lies in how you define "saturation", but I don't think you can determine saturation based upon the rate at which an event sells on the first day, especially with the earlier registration dates. I think you have to wait until registration closes for the event and then see how close to full the races are. From a saturation standpoint, the rate at which race entries are filled doesn't matter as long as they are eventually sold. Ultimately, if RunDisney begins to see a lot of money left on the table in the form of open capacity you can make the argument that saturation (or dilution of interest, even) has been reached.

This is the first race in probably 4 years im not doing. Im pretty tired of paying all that money to do the same exact courses over and over with no real incentives.

I may try to do 1-2 per year but for now I can spend money doing a lot more local races.

I think this is the biggest reason.

I definitely am not signing up right now. 2017 was suppose to be my "grand" return to runDisney but I don't have the time so I figure hey why not 2018! Except yah know getting married in October of this year who knows where I'll be life wise in 2018. I'm hoping ot get back into shape and hey if I can pick up a 10K or half in November 2017 then I'll go for it but right now way too many what ifs to drop that kind of money for any race not just Disney.

This is the first race in probably 4 years im not doing. Im pretty tired of paying all that money to do the same exact courses over and over with no real incentives.

I may try to do 1-2 per year but for now I can spend money doing a lot more local races.

Just wondering why the changed of courses seems to always come up. I'm pretty sure Boston and NYC are the exact same course every year and nobody complains about that and there are people who run Boston and NYC every year they can. Why does runDisney have to be held to different standards?

Just wondering why the changed of courses seems to always come up. I'm pretty sure Boston and NYC are the exact same course every year and nobody complains about that and there are people who run Boston and NYC every year they can. Why does runDisney have to be held to different standards?
I think the biggest thing is Boston and NYC are major running events and held in regard as going for that specific event. Many think of Disney races as a vacation and a place to have fun. Another key thing is Disney used to have two nighttime races, now they have none. A lot of people liked that unique nighttime race aspect.

I think the biggest thing is Boston and NYC are major running events and held in regard as going for that specific event. Many think of Disney races as a vacation and a place to have fun. Another key thing is Disney used to have two nighttime races, now they have none. A lot of people liked that unique nighttime race aspect.

So, the way I read this you're saying that the Disney races aren't serious!? popcorn:::rotfl2:

I loved the night time races so can see them going away as an issue (they were an issue for me) but still there is nothing really different about Boston/NYC/Disney except you can time qualify into Boston/NYC on a greater scale. runDisney is still a running event that just happens to be at a theme park. That was my point. Why is it that suddenly runners expect something different. Disney makes it "Disney" with the parks and characters on course and the entertainment. I just never got the idea that somehow they need it to not run through the same parks or whatever. Especially out at Disneyland there isn't much else they can do being 2 parks.

I think it's a good thing if FOMO isn't influencing a big registration cluster-bleep anymore. I know I wouldn't have ever run my first race if registration wasn't still available in September 2011 for the 2012 Half Marathon.

As for the courses, I don't think they could do much better for the 5k, 10k and Full. They could do with some changes to the Half course IMO, but it's not horrible. I kind of like having a familiarity with each course.

Those are classic annual races. If you go the 10k route for Disney you are doing 3 guaranteed EPCOT only courses with one potentially (still not released) race else where for SWDS.

Why would I want to do the same course 3 times a year for that price when I can pay a fraction of that to do others across the state. does the themeing of the races even dramatically change for the 10ks or 5ks for that matter from race to race?

I loved the night time races so can see them going away as an issue (they were an issue for me) but still there is nothing really different about Boston/NYC/Disney except you can time qualify into Boston/NYC on a greater scale. runDisney is still a running event that just happens to be at a theme park. That was my point. Why is it that suddenly runners expect something different. Disney makes it "Disney" with the parks and characters on course and the entertainment. I just never got the idea that somehow they need it to not run through the same parks or whatever. Especially out at Disneyland there isn't much else they can do being 2 parks.
I understand the Disneyland thing even though there are some differences between the courses out there. I think they can do more with WDW courses though. For example why not have the 10K differ between race weekends or something. I hope Star Wars goes through Star Wars Land when that opens because if it doesn't that just seems kind of stupid. They have themes for the races why not capitalize on some of that? Just my thoughts.

Those are classic annual races. If you go the 10k route for Disney you are doing 3 guaranteed EPCOT only courses with one potentially (still not released) race else where for SWDS.

Why would I want to do the same course 3 times a year for that price when I can pay a fraction of that to do others across the state. does the themeing of the races even dramatically change for the 10ks or 5ks for that matter from race to race?

That's true. I guess I never got into the mentality of I have to do every race every year. I remember Expedition Everest was the same course as the Wine and Dine 5K and what made it special was the themeing and the "hunt" portion. I do think they over saturated the offerings specifically the 10K distance. I will never understand why every weekend needed every length. I would be happy if they scrapped some of the 10Ks or a couple 5Ks for a 10miler again.

That's true. I guess I never got into the mentality of I have to do every race every year. I remember Expedition Everest was the same course as the Wine and Dine 5K and what made it special was the themeing and the "hunt" portion. I do think they over saturated the offerings specifically the 10K distance. I will never understand why every weekend needed every length. I would be happy if they scrapped some of the 10Ks or a couple 5Ks for a 10miler again.
See now I would be all for more unique offerings like a 10 miler or something.

Sadly the days are gone. The two "unique" offerings went away but were never officially cancelled. Not sure why Expedition Everest 5K went away when they do the same course for Wine and Dine 5K. Of course they said the heat but seriously they could have moved it to a less hot month. Same for Tower of Terror. It didn't have to leave for construction because so little of the course was actually in DHS they could have easily found a rework to still see the Tower as the finish and get the 10 miles. Heat was also a concern there but of course if they are using heat to cancel that they should use rain for Wine and Dine since it has been miserable the last few years.

Agreed. Im a local and there are two 2 10 miler races in my area that total are cheaper than ONE disney 10k. Thats part of why im passing now on Marathon Weekend.

Dont even get me started on the merchandise issues they always have... Thats a whole other issue

Agreed. Im a local and there are two 2 10 miler races in my area that total are cheaper than ONE disney 10k. Thats part of why im passing now on Marathon Weekend.

Dont even get me started on the merchandise issues they always have... Thats a whole other issue
The vast majority of my races have been Disney races. After Dopey 2018 I am not sure when will be my next Disney race. I am hoping to do my first Disneyland race in 2018 for coast to coast but who knows if that will happen. Right now I have no intention on doing anything in 2019.

Theming, it's a Disney trip, other events (e.g. F&W).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter