• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have we reached the saturation point?

The vast majority of my races have been Disney races. After Dopey 2018 I am not sure when will be my next Disney race. I am hoping to do my first Disneyland race in 2018 for coast to coast but who knows if that will happen. Right now I have no intention on doing anything in 2019.
We really enjoyed Light Side in DL. It was extra nice because I hadn't been to DL in YEARS, and my kids had never been. I say DO IT!! :)

I wonder if rD has given a lot fewer bibs to travel partners in order to appease those frustrated with the instant sellouts. They no longer link to the travel partners (at least not for Marathon weekend) and there are WAY fewer charities listed on the rD site for all races. I remember last year when I was trying to get into Wine and Dine after it sold out, I had to go through a long list of charities to see what bibs were left. This year's charity list is much shorter, and I wonder if they have fewer bibs as well.

VP

I want to do it but having someone to go with and money is the issue currently.
I cannot recommend enough that anyone who has run a Disney race in Orlando also runs one in Anaheim, especially in the same calendar year if feasible. If it's even possible, do what you need to do to have the experience.

1. It's interesting to compare what the strengths of a race on each coast. What any Disneyland race lacks in theme park miles, it makes up for in community support be it cheerleaders, marching bands, local community groups (I've seen Hawaiian dancers, Latin American dancers, classic car groups with their classic cars), and in the case of Star Wars and Superheroes, cosplayers. In the case of Star Wars, the cosplay groups line the streets around miles 8 and 9 and offer incredibly detailed costumes that rival what the in park characters have. Having not ran Superheroes, I won't comment on those. I do know they are there. Also, if you choose Disneyland or Superheroes, the chance to run through Angels Stadium is incredibly thrilling.

2. The Coast to Coast. When I did it in 2012, I met some runners at both Disneyland and WDW who were not even aware of races on the other coast. This can also give a runner the opportunity to experience the "other" coast at a unique time. Running Wine & Dine or Superheroes means Christmas decorations in the parks.

3. (If applicable) Specialty medal for either the Kessel Run or the pink coast to coast for Princess & Tinker Bell. Obviously, this requires selecting companion races, but it's another unique medal opportunity. I won't be surprised if we see some sort of new challenge arise tied to this kind of idea. (Marathon weekend-Light Side or Wine & Dine-Superheroes for instance).

I wonder if rD has given a lot fewer bibs to travel partners in order to appease those frustrated with the instant sellouts. They no longer link to the travel partners (at least not for Marathon weekend) and there are WAY fewer charities listed on the rD site for all races. I remember last year when I was trying to get into Wine and Dine after it sold out, I had to go through a long list of charities to see what bibs were left. This year's charity list is much shorter, and I wonder if they have fewer bibs as well.

VP

They didn't give less to the travel providers they just started requiring more (travel providers are locked into bib #s, must sell rooms, must sell tickets, etc) so fewer places were willing to take the risk for little return. From my understanding the shift in runDisney runners alsonis making events less likely to sell out so much more of a risk to take bibs they can't off load with no room or tickets.

VP

They don't "give" bibs to TAs - TAs have to pay for them, and most have to pay up-front to get an allotment.

When they made this change for the 2016 RunDisney season, it's the reason why a premiere provider (GetSports) decided to stop offering races at WDW, as RunDisney had made the change to require bibs with hotel and ticket requirements and they decided, as a business, it wasn't a change that they were interested in offering. So, now they just offer DL races.

EVERY TA has to fire-sale bibs for WDW races because of the hotel requirement. RunDisney has helped a little bit by easing the ticket requirement for people with APs ... but not everybody needs a hotel. People own DVC. People rent DVC points. People live within driving distance or prefer to AirBNB/VRBO a home for a large family trip.

The same goes for Charities. They can request XX-number of bibs, but are on the hook to pay for them.

For 2018 Marathon Weekend, I inquired with seven charities before deciding which one I'd go with. Most of them lost their a$$ last year and have taken far fewer bibs this year (they mostly attribute it to disinterest), or decided not to even bother with the weekend at all because of the increased hoops RunDisney makes them jump through - even though they are an approved RD Charity Provider. And while the fundraising runner DOES NOT usually have to pay for their registration, the charity DOES have to pay for it out of the money fundraised. And if they have people that don't fundraise enough OR too many bibs and not enough runners, they have a one-shot chance to give them back to RunDisney with a minimal loss. That's why we saw over 2500 Half Marathon bibs become available for this year's WDW Half like a month out from race weekend.

** If anyone is interested in going the fundraising route, I'd be happy to detail my findings with you to help you make a decision on 1) if this is right for you and B) which charities to contact. It can be a great opportunity for you to enjoy WDW Marathon Weekend with your race registration, and even hotel and park tickets paid for - but you have to donate significant amounts of time fundraising. **

I cannot recommend enough that anyone who has run a Disney race in Orlando also runs one in Anaheim, especially in the same calendar year if feasible. If it's even possible, do what you need to do to have the experience.

1. It's interesting to compare what the strengths of a race on each coast. What any Disneyland race lacks in theme park miles, it makes up for in community support be it cheerleaders, marching bands, local community groups (I've seen Hawaiian dancers, Latin American dancers, classic car groups with their classic cars), and in the case of Star Wars and Superheroes, cosplayers. In the case of Star Wars, the cosplay groups line the streets around miles 8 and 9 and offer incredibly detailed costumes that rival what the in park characters have. Having not ran Superheroes, I won't comment on those. I do know they are there. Also, if you choose Disneyland or Superheroes, the chance to run through Angels Stadium is incredibly thrilling.

2. The Coast to Coast. When I did it in 2012, I met some runners at both Disneyland and WDW who were not even aware of races on the other coast. This can also give a runner the opportunity to experience the "other" coast at a unique time. Running Wine & Dine or Superheroes means Christmas decorations in the parks.

3. (If applicable) Specialty medal for either the Kessel Run or the pink coast to coast for Princess & Tinker Bell. Obviously, this requires selecting companion races, but it's another unique medal opportunity. I won't be surprised if we see some sort of new challenge arise tied to this kind of idea. (Marathon weekend-Light Side or Wine & Dine-Superheroes for instance).

The course support at Disneyland is the real reason why I keep going back for a race each year. You run through actual neighborhoods where people are having coffee, holding signs and cheering you on. The downtown area with the Red Hat Ladies during Tinker Bell. The car show and the Angels Stadium cheering section at Disneyland Half.

I'd take that EVERY TIME over some of the "entertainment" WDW puts out ... like the hippies this year? Or the wedding singers? Give me real spectators and their cheesy signs EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

They don't "give" bibs to TAs - TAs have to pay for them, and most have to pay up-front to get an allotment.

When they made this change for the 2016 RunDisney season, it's the reason why a premiere provider (GetSports) decided to stop offering races at WDW, as RunDisney had made the change to require bibs with hotel and ticket requirements and they decided, as a business, it wasn't a change that they were interested in offering. So, now they just offer DL races.

EVERY TA has to fire-sale bibs for WDW races because of the hotel requirement. RunDisney has helped a little bit by easing the ticket requirement for people with APs ... but not everybody needs a hotel. People own DVC. People rent DVC points. People live within driving distance or prefer to AirBNB/VRBO a home for a large family trip.

The same goes for Charities. They can request XX-number of bibs, but are on the hook to pay for them.

For 2018 Marathon Weekend, I inquired with seven charities before deciding which one I'd go with. Most of them lost their a$$ last year and have taken far fewer bibs this year (they mostly attribute it to disinterest), or decided not to even bother with the weekend at all because of the increased hoops RunDisney makes them jump through - even though they are an approved RD Charity Provider. And while the fundraising runner DOES NOT usually have to pay for their registration, the charity DOES have to pay for it out of the money fundraised. And if they have people that don't fundraise enough OR too many bibs and not enough runners, they have a one-shot chance to give them back to RunDisney with a minimal loss. That's why we saw over 2500 Half Marathon bibs become available for this year's WDW Half like a month out from race weekend.

** If anyone is interested in going the fundraising route, I'd be happy to detail my findings with you to help you make a decision on 1) if this is right for you and B) which charities to contact. It can be a great opportunity for you to enjoy WDW Marathon Weekend with your race registration, and even hotel and park tickets paid for - but you have to donate significant amounts of time fundraising. **

The course support at Disneyland is the real reason why I keep going back for a race each year. You run through actual neighborhoods where people are having coffee, holding signs and cheering you on. The downtown area with the Red Hat Ladies during Tinker Bell. The car show and the Angels Stadium cheering section at Disneyland Half.

I'd take that EVERY TIME over some of the "entertainment" WDW puts out ... like the hippies this year? Or the wedding singers? Give me real spectators and their cheesy signs EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I was really unhappy to see the changes rD made re TAs. I had used one for Light Side and one other race and had a great experience. I felt bad for them about how much rD reduced their market. As a DVC/AP it just doesn't make sense for us.

HOWEVER... I will say that the MAJOR impetus for using the TA is how fed up I was about how crazy registration online was for these races!! I'm always trying to get 2 challenges, 1 10K and 5 5Ks. That had me online on early registration day only to have sellouts in mins, then back again for regular registration.

With registration NOT being insane now, I'm happy to do it myself. I assume that's at least part of what rD was after -- capture directly more of the market that was using TAs. That's not a bug for them, it's a feature.

On this, I would just say that I get that type of experience doing local races, and like the RnR New Orleans I just did. In WDW I like that it's different.

Exactly all of this, and the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion coming out for Star Wars on streets of Anaheim/Garden Grove was just fantastic. Better character photo ops than in the parks with almost no wait. And my race experiences with them have all been uniformly (no pun intended) wonderful and supportive. Way better than some of the random "entertainment" plunked down on Osceola Pkwy (like the ESPN BDSM whip dancers during Wine & Dine 2016 - what was up with that?!)

Another benefit to running a race on the west coast is that you don't have to get up nearly as early. Whether you are staying at a Disney hotel, or one of the many hotels within walking distance of the parks, you can pretty much walk from wherever you are staying to the starting area. My wife did the DisneyLand Half a few years ago, and we stayed at Paradise Pier. She pretty much woke up, walked out the front door and was in her corral within about 10 minutes. Very easy.

DL is definitely a different experience, both from a race and park perspective.

Exactly all of this, and the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion coming out for Star Wars on streets of Anaheim/Garden Grove was just fantastic. Better character photo ops than in the parks with almost no wait. And my race experiences with them have all been uniformly (no pun intended) wonderful and supportive.
When I was in Disneyland this year after the 1/2, I had a chance to thank a 501st member wearing his 501st jacket around the parks. I told him that it meant a lot to me to have them on the course and how much I appreciated it. While part of me comprehends that I can't personally thank everyone who cheers, participates, volunteers, etc. I try to thank as many as I can.

When I was in Disneyland this year after the 1/2, I had a chance to thank a 501st member wearing his 501st jacket around the parks. I told him that it meant a lot to me to have them on the course and how much I appreciated it. While part of me comprehends that I can't personally thank everyone who cheers, participates, volunteers, etc. I try to thank as many as I can.
That was really nice of you! I profusely thanked all the 501st people I stopped with for photo ops, and they were so very gracious. When I thanked them for coming out for the day, they basically replied that they were only standing around, not running 13 miles. Super-nice folks!!

Another benefit to running a race on the west coast is that you don't have to get up nearly as early. Whether you are staying at a Disney hotel, or one of the many hotels within walking distance of the parks, you can pretty much walk from wherever you are staying to the starting area. My wife did the DisneyLand Half a few years ago, and we stayed at Paradise Pier. She pretty much woke up, walked out the front door and was in her corral within about 10 minutes. Very easy.

This is something I'm really looking forward to at Tinkerbell. No alarm set for 2:30 AM!!

You used to be able to do that at WDW. If you stayed at the POR resorts or Key West, you just walked across the street to the corrals for the half and full.

Wine and Dine Half just sold out. I think that happened in the last day or two, def. after marathon registration was released. So now Wine and Dine half and 10K are both full. And the kids races for Avengers.

VP

Wine and Dine Half just sold out. I think that happened in the last day or two, def. after marathon registration was released. So now Wine and Dine half and 10K are both full. And the kids races for Avengers.

VP
I am surprised the half sold out before the 5K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter