• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has disney crossed the price threshold for most families?

It makes me sad to see. I'm an "old" person. My dad took us twice when we were little. My 1st trip was in 1973. Both times we stayed at the Polynesian. (because that and the Contempory were about the only choices.) I have no idea how much it cost, but we were definitely lower middle class. I can remember how exciting it was to get new clothes from Kmart off of layaway. Anybody old enough and poor enough to remember that excitement?? It was a big deal that we went to Disney. At today's prices for tickets alone, I'm sure that never would have happened.

The latest news about the Genie just makes me ill to think about. The growing obvious devision between the "haves" and "have nots" is not in line with the Disney magic. I'm a pretty die hard Disney fan thanks to the sweet memories my dad gave us when we were little, but I would have to think very long and hard before choosing to dump so much money into another trip and I could easily afford it now if I choose.

Personally, Disney isn't something I'm interested in doing multiple times. For a basic Disney vacation, we could go to Europe or other Asian countries for an awesome experience instead so this trip I'm planning is more of a "one and done" trip. Cross it off the list of things to do with the kids, then next year plan a trip somewhere else (already tossing around Japan as my main idea). So the cost for me seems overkill but its still something I want to experience with them when they are younger. Im excited for Disney, but its not something I feel like I need to dedicate money to every year.

When you look at the general picture back in the 80's and 90's Disney Parks were the in places to go for amusement parks because if you had a small family it was easy and affordable because in the 90's Disney Parks tickets were lower priced and you could get into the parks easily if you found great deals on hotels. But if you look at planning to visit Disney World or Disneyland today it is simply not worth it for the price alone. Disneyland especially has a huge obsession with raising ticket prices and every year they do this habit and it gets pricier and pricier to the fact when families cannot go. But people need to realize is that when you visit Southern CA there are other theme parks besides Disneyland such as Six Flags Magic Mountain Universal Studios Knotts Berry Farm and Legoland in Carlsbad CA. But not only have amusement parks have raised prices it's hit county fairs too and a county fair has become more expensive to go to these days. But if Disney Parks quit raising ticket prices every year and lower the prices Disney Parks would be worth going to again

To the vast majority of families in the world, and most even in the US a Disney vacation is out of reach and has been for a long time

This exactly.

Other than those who are local to the parks, for most people going to Disney parks multiple times a year or once a year for the last 20 to 30 years is something that they only dream of. Disney parks are part of pop culture and most people around the world have seen the parks on TV but know its somewhere that they will never get to actually experience.

Going to Disney parks is a privilege for a very small % of the population of America, Canada, Europe and Australia. People on The Dis seem to be part of this small % so therefore it is an echo chamber of people who are in the same financial position.

It's always been expensive...... people will pay
Yes, but how many people, how often, for how long? I think what you're hearing from multiple posters on this thread (and others) is that it's not the cost it's the value.

I can have enough money for something, and still not buy it if I perceive its price is more than its worth. Personally, I can afford Disney. If Disney had ONLY raised the prices, I'd probably still go. But Disney simultaneously raised the prices and reduced the experience. There's not enough value there to induce me to plan a Disney trip.

That's the difference between something being merely expensive and something being overpriced. Right now, I think Disney is the latter.

What I also think what really caused Disney Parks vacations to become more expensive nowadays is the fact that a lot of the stuff that came with a Disneyland or Walt Disney World trip are now gone such as Disney's Magical Express bus service skyrocketing resort prices for rooms and airplane tickets have skyrocketed too and if you go to either Disneyland or Walt Disney World right now you'll notice that a lot of the magic is gone such as parades character breakfasts chances to meet and greet with characters and easy access to rides. But once the most important things such as character meet and greets character breakfasts daily housekeeping returns to resorts I can tell you that Disney Parks WILL lower it's prices. But what I can't figure out is why families want to pay big bucks for character breakfasts? Because when you look at the general picture children have a very limited menu for breakfast and eat only waffles or cereal or a small stack of pancakes and the only reason I think character breakfasts are popular and expensive is just to make families have quick ways to meet characters without having to go to the parks and waiting in long lines. And so I think that's why character breakfasts are expensive and not worth the price either if you have a big family or a small family. Another thing that has caused Disney vacations to be expensive is that some of the resorts are pricey because they have themed rooms and themed stuff. Take for example when Caribbean Beach Resort added Pirates Of The Caribbean rooms the prices for the rooms went sky high and the same thing occurred when Port Orleans Resort added The Princess And The Frog themed rooms and Princess rooms Port Orleans Resort raised it's prices too. But because of this expensive pricing I have no desire to visit Disney parks ever again and I can say that if you have a small family I would advise that it's better to wait until Disney Parks improve

Yes, but how many people, how often, for how long? I think what you're hearing from multiple posters on this thread (and others) is that it's not the cost it's the value.

I can have enough money for something, and still not buy it if I perceive its price is more than its worth. Personally, I can afford Disney. If Disney had ONLY raised the prices, I'd probably still go. But Disney simultaneously raised the prices and reduced the experience. There's not enough value there to induce me to plan a Disney trip.

That's the difference between something being merely expensive and something being overpriced. Right now, I think Disney is the latter.
People on these boards are such a minute percentage of people who go to WDW so I would take complaints here with a grain of salt. If Disney notices a drop in visitors they will offer deals on packages or other promotions. Prices on everything has gone up drastically lately. My husband was in CA for business last week and gas was over $5 a gallon!
At least with vacations you can decide to go somewhere else or not go at all - not the case with groceries. If you want a budget WDW vacation you can drive, stay offsite and bring your food. But people aren’t going to stop going to Disney - it’s always been expensive - if people want to go they will find a way. Heck six families in my small middle class neighborhood are all going to WDW sometime in the next two months so I don’t think it will be empty. And wait till international guests start arriving!

People on these boards are such a minute percentage of people who go to WDW so I would take complaints here with a grain of salt. If Disney notices a drop in visitors they will offer deals on packages or other promotions. Prices on everything has gone up drastically lately. My husband was in CA for business last week and gas was over $5 a gallon!
At least with vacations you can decide to go somewhere else or not go at all - not the case with groceries. If you want a budget WDW vacation you can drive, stay offsite and bring your food. But people aren’t going to stop going to Disney - it’s always been expensive - if people want to go they will find a way. Heck six families in my small middle class neighborhood are all going to WDW sometime in the next two months so I don’t think it will be empty. And wait till international guests start arriving!
The demographics are interesting. WDW visitors are (no one get mad, this is just statistics!) generally lower income, less educated, and less well traveled than people go spend similar $ for vacations but go elsewhere. I was really surprised to see that and it made me understand more why some people consider the Parks to be almost predatory.

Edited to add: I'm one of those statistics so don't shoot the messenger!

Yes. I am pretty certain this will be our last trip to Disney World. There are other great places to spend a vacation. There is a whole world to see out there. If we go back to Disney, it will have to be off-site (which we enjoy a lot) but doubt we will be back after this November trip.

We love travelling and it is more educational for the kids to see the world rather than theme parks.

It's easy to figure out, people.

Bob Chapek's exact words on how he runs Disney now with "world class yield management".
Yield management isn't a bad thing. Hotels, for example, often won't fill hotels to capacity with short term vacationers (think families there for the weekend to play in the pool and hang out) because they are much harder on the facility than business travelers there for a 3 day convention. Airlines have used sophisticated yield management for decades to determine pricing and take into account everything from future fuel contracts to the weather and a hundred other variables I'm sure I couldn't even guess at.

"Yield management" can be a great thing done right. There's always a cost/benefit tipping point but the details of those costs and benefits are really complex.

The demographics are interesting. WDW visitors are (no one get mad, this is just statistics!) generally lower income, less educated, and less well traveled than people go spend similar $ for vacations but go elsewhere. I was really surprised to see that and it made me understand more why some people consider the Parks to be almost predatory.

Edited to add: I'm one of those statistics so don't shoot the messenger!
Not according to the Theme Park Tribune. Average Disney guest has an income of $86,000 twice the average of the Orlando area.
https://www.****************.com/th...changing-higher-incomes-and-more-millennials/

Personally, Disney isn't something I'm interested in doing multiple times. For a basic Disney vacation, we could go to Europe or other Asian countries for an awesome experience instead so this trip I'm planning is more of a "one and done" trip. Cross it off the list of things to do with the kids, then next year plan a trip somewhere else (already tossing around Japan as my main idea). So the cost for me seems overkill but its still something I want to experience with them when they are younger. Im excited for Disney, but its not something I feel like I need to dedicate money to every year.

This is us too. We are going because I've been wanting to go for 40+ years, AND we told DD we were going. Also, she is in the sweet-spot age, so I don't want to postpone again.

But, there are lots of places we'd like to go. For example, DH passed on his One-Piece love to DD. There is some One-Piece thingy in Japan. Maybe a festival, maybe an amusement park land, I didn't pay enough attention. But, if we could do that for the same price as WDW? I'd be in.

Not according to the Theme Park Tribune. Average Disney guest has an income of $86,000 twice the average of the Orlando area.
https://www.****************.com/th...changing-higher-incomes-and-more-millennials/

TIL the average income in Orlando would barely allow someone to rent a 1bdrm apt there. That’s awful.

isn't it so confusing how there can be such different results depending on where you get your information? what's considered "low income/uneducated"? How do "low income" families pay the price for a family trip to Disney???? You all see the cost per night to stay on property....how do they do it?

isn't it so confusing how there can be such different results depending on where you get your information? what's considered "low income/uneducated"? How do "low income" families pay the price for a family trip to Disney???? You all see the cost per night to stay on property....how do they do it?
The federal poverty line for a family of 4 is $26,500. That line means that you are considered very poor and eligible for specific welfare benefits only given to the very poor.

Thought of another way, $26,500 is $13.59/hour before tax.

My post was about the cost of Disney relative to the income demographic of its visitors compared to that of other comparatively expensive destinations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter